Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rossboy
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Money scams.Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
HI QUIETCOWBOY,
Just like to say ive been had by a young girl from Russia (or so she said) and like you she looked amazing, said the right things,asked the right questions etc etc.Everything was going fine she was coming over here flight booked by an agency then two days to go then i got can you send me money,of course i said no ,thats the last i heard of her.

Thats not the first time either there was also one from Ghana,same thing then the pleas come for money.It seems strange to me that they say they dont know much english but that all changes when they mention Western Union they know all about that.

Ive been talking to a policewoman friend of mine and she says this is very common but take note they always use A NAME THAT ENDS IN A VOWEL OR A REGAL SOUNDING NAME. What i would like to know is how many people have fallen for scams like this and if the shits that do this have got any sense of decency at all.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Money scams.
Posted: 8/12/2008 12:07:20 PM
Just for fun and as a public service I'll keep posting "her" letters right up until the money letter comes. If its like the last scam the letters will come every three or four days, until "she" head off to the airport. Then I will receive a few over a two day span.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Money scams.
Posted: 8/12/2008 5:44:48 PM
This is my favorite out of the bunch:

http://www.russianwomenblacklist.com/

But I like this one too!

http://www.stop-scammers.com/
 ArtsKT
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Money scams.
Posted: 9/13/2008 11:24:36 PM
I got one. He pursued me for a month with daily chats. He found me on this site, asked me to chat on yahooIM, sent me pictures, chatted up a storm. His story was very consistant, really good liar, amazing facts, I quizzed him and he never faultered. After four weeks and countless hours came the "accident" and a need for a loan. I said no in spite of his professed love. That's when it got kind of fun/funny. I grabbed an audience for the ride. I got lots of clever help with yanking his chain back. It's not normally what I consider entertainment, but wow, he wasted a lot of my time, so I felt I owed him. Sad really. Mean people suck, and there are a lot of them.
 9joy
Msg: 56
Money scams.
Posted: 1/14/2009 9:08:50 PM
i meet the same man name david same scame i reported him and they deleted his profile i played along with it got all the way untill 3 dayes when he was suppose to come visit. i just started laughing telling i wasent that stupid but he did sound good
 Moidodyr
Msg: 63
Money scams.
Posted: 12/30/2011 8:25:06 PM
Any Nigerian cases on POF?
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 64
Money scams.
Posted: 12/31/2011 11:56:55 AM
Only an idiot will give someone money...
 Womac911
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Money scams.
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:01:26 PM
Heeeyyy at least you didn't fall into a six month scam where she lived with you and drained your life savings...
 rec_diver
Msg: 66
Money scams.
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:29:13 PM
So much hate, so unecessary.

Even scammers have to eat and support their children.
 Womac911
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Money scams.
Posted: 1/2/2012 3:12:34 PM

Only an idiot will give someone money...

given my previous experiences with the "gimmies", now there's a woman I think I like.
 Roxy0606
Msg: 68
Money scams.
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:04:19 PM
I started talking to someone on POF's sister site, eVow. This guy said he was from Slovakia, is a "Consultant", has a 7 year old daughter in a boarding school in Australia, and his fiance died three years ago. I asked him for more pictures. One of them was from a distance, but didn't look like the guy on the profile I initially saw. Another picture was clearly not him: the eyebrows and ears did not align the same as the guy in the profile and the ears were different. The 7 year old looked like she was 11. When I told him about his daughter, he said she was tall. When I told him the guy in the pic didn't look like him, he told him wealth had been good to him.

I played along with him, but knew he was a scammer. There are SO MANY MEN on eVow who are 1)from Europe 2)Independent Contractors 3)recently deceased parent and awaiting the estate to settle 4) are widowed.

Sure enough, he allegedly went to London to meet with his father's insurance company. He had to consult with an attorney who needed a retainer of 3,000 pounds (over $6,000) in order to settle the estate. I told him that I've never met him and have a phone number where I can only leave a voicemail, I don't have his address, and I have my own expenses close to $10,000 that need to be paid within the next 6 months. I further told him that I would only exchange money in that amount to someone I either lived with or was married to,

He said thank you, but he only needed a small amount of it. It would be easier if some of his friends could help me in partial amounts. He told me what I owe is not much and he could help me with it (as if I'd asked). I never responded to him again, and I never heard back from him except for a Happy New Year text.

Total scammer POS!
 kfoyebrad
Msg: 69
Money scams.
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:52:24 PM
For everyone having these experiences please go to romancescams.org and educate yourselves on a huge international scamming problem! I was a victim. no one gets past me now cuz of the education i got on that website. This is real, its a huge problem and it makes dating online even harder than it is now.
Don't be afraid of this site. These are all real people who have been scammed.
 kfoyebrad
Msg: 70
Money scams.
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:55:04 PM
yes and beware of a scammer who calls himself Michael Roy. He is very good at what he does and he will rob you blind!
 Verde100
Msg: 71
Money scams.
Posted: 12/28/2012 11:48:50 AM
I had one on facebook. He wrote he loved me and wanted to marry me. I told him I killed my first husband, got off due to insanity, as a condition of my parole, I couldn't marry again. He didn't contact me again.
 JustDukky
Msg: 72
Money scams.
Posted: 12/29/2012 10:05:45 PM

I had one on facebook. He wrote he loved me and wanted to marry me. I told him I killed my first husband, got off due to insanity, as a condition of my parole, I couldn't marry again. He didn't contact me again.

Now THAT sounds like my kinda woman! Whattya doin' tonight, Baby?

On the subject of scams, I can't think of a bigger one than the one the Fed pulled on the American people, except maybe the similar one The BIS pulled on the whole world.

There isn't anything we can do about the BIS, but people who don't like being scammed, might want to sign this petition:

http://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/abolish-federal-reserve-act-ch-6-38-stat-251-enacted-december-23-1913-12-usc-ch3/0ptR6gxN
 JustDukky
Msg: 73
Money scams.
Posted: 1/4/2013 9:44:20 AM
My profile works well to keep the scam artists away, in fact it keeps everyone away.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 74
Money scams.
Posted: 1/4/2013 10:41:18 AM

Hey ladies (and gents)! In your experience...do you think there is any common thread among your profiles that attracts the scam artists?

There are several, though no of which I would post for obvious reasons.

A scam artist is looking for someone that they can manipulate and there are words and phrases people will use in their profiles that may reveal a vulnerability that a scammer may try and exploit.

Seems like some people are targets and others aren't.

Everyone is a target, some just have better defense.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 75
Money scams.
Posted: 1/4/2013 11:27:01 AM
Money attracts them.

About 6 years ago, two scammers got past my first line of defense and actually met me. I rewarded them with police reports and IRS audits. In both cases, each also ended up with a class B federal non-tax felony (not the same one) as well: One committed wire fraud and the other was involved in trafficking women across state lines for prostitution. "Wire fraud girl" I met here on PoF. The other I did not meet through here.
 DoritoMuncher
Msg: 76
Money scams.
Posted: 1/6/2013 4:53:03 PM
Say you live with mom... ^_^
 BlokeInSydney
Msg: 77
Money scams.
Posted: 1/6/2013 5:49:25 PM

I closed my profile after he pledged his love, even though i just paid for a years membership. Within a few months, he had scammed me out of a lot of money ($70,000)and It took me a whole year to figure out that I had been really taken and had believed every lie told to me.

Anybody who gives $20, let alone $70,000, to somebody they just met on the internet needs to seriously be kept away from power outlets and sharp objects. A whole year to figure out you'd been scammed?? Wow.

So much hate, so unecessary.

Even scammers have to eat and support their children.

They do it by stealing from other people and their children Are you serious?
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 78
Money scams.
Posted: 1/7/2013 11:48:25 AM
I didn't know that some of the scammers were cannibals too! ;-)
 justdeb1111
Msg: 79
Money scams.
Posted: 2/22/2013 12:17:13 PM
Apparently it's not just men who are being scammed. I just read on the Yahoo news that some 29 year old guy originally from Indiana was just busted for scamming dozens of women out of tens of thousands of dollars--the victims' reports are still coming in. Guess what? He used PoF for most of his victims.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 80
Money scams.
Posted: 2/23/2013 3:52:36 PM
Re: #90 and #91 - I have defenses too: See this sweet rabbit I'm holding? What you don't know is that she's a highly trained vorpal bunny that goes for the jugular on command. Scammers have learnt this and keep their distance. Unfortunately, so does everyone else.

On a more serious note, what among profiles attracts scam artists?
1) That we're all single (or wish we were, for those married out there) and have advertised that fact.
2) They think we all have money -- else we'd be complete losers like them.
3) We want something, and that gives them a way in.
I shall let others complete the list, mainly because I ran out of things to say.
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 81
Money scams.
Posted: 2/26/2013 10:00:29 PM
I think it is virtually impossible to scam people. I mean I could see if you approached a mentally retarded person on the street and told them how broke you are, they might have money and give it to your sorry ass but we are talking about people whom have computers, know how to access a web site and have a basic understanding what it takes to live everyday. The scammers are just people whom are mentally off because they will never get a dime off anyone and they will keep trying. They don't need to be removed even though they should because they aren't going to make a dime anyway. What I don't like is the people whom I have in my own neighborhood approaching me in person asking for a little help and then doing the same thing every single day thinking that everyone is a mark. What a sad way for someone to waste their time.
 troutchaser
Msg: 82
Money scams.
Posted: 1/30/2016 11:54:07 PM
I was contacted by a person named divagal. She professed to fall in love with me and that she had a company buying diamonds and was in Turkey and needed 1600$ so she could get her order and get out of Turkey. I knew this was a scam so people please dont give anyone money that you are in contact on pof. Troutchaser
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >