Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Do Animals Have Rights?Page 6 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)

Now he^ is mixing apples with oranges only to blame religion.!!

And, I'm sorry to have to say, we can actually blame religion for quite a bit of the crap that's been mentioned in here. That needs to be owned up to.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 156
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/13/2015 7:54:24 PM

I was only Thumping what is written in the BIble ...God gave Man Dominion over animals and therefore animals have no rights

You always distorts the meaning of everything that the Bible says, just to confuse people.... AND to make us MAD.!!

Yes, God gives to man authority over all that was created on earth. But here there is something written IN THE BIBLE for you to read :

Proverbs 12:10
The RIGHTEOUS MAN care for the needs of their animals,
but the kindest acts of the WICKED ARE CRUEL.

Ecclesiastes 3:18-20
“As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless. All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return.

Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet our heavenly Father feeds them.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Now you are using bad analogies to deflect from the fact what he said was 100% correct.......It is a real shame that so many who claim to be religious really have no understanding of what is written in the book that they covet.

Can you explain to me what it is written in the Bible that I do not understand??
The gay thing? Is that what bothers you? If you are gay, I want to let you know that I have nothing against you all, I do respect each person's choice in life.
But, I agree with what the Bible says...Sorry.!!
God created Adan and Eve for a reason..He gave Adan a woman....To multiply on the earth.!!

-----------------------------------------

we can actually blame religion for quite a bit

Of course Drink, I know you blame religion for everything, even for the food you ate last night that made you pass gas today.

HFX_RGB2
Msg: 157
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/13/2015 8:15:07 PM

Can you explain to me what it is written in the Bible that I do not understand??

Lets start with this:

God created Adan and Eve for a reason......To multiply on the earth.!!

Nope.

The character refered to as god in the book the bible created Adam and Eve to live in the Garden of Eden, but god being the d*ck that he was, also created a tree that had fruit that for some reason he put within walking distance to the two and just to make sure they didn't partake in the fruit he put a talking snake there to tempt them.

So he did not want them to eat the fruit and thus they where not created to populate the earth, which even though they did it was not of god wish and in fact I can remember how the story, god does a reset and kills everyone because he screwed it up the first time.

The gay thing? Is that what bothers you? If you are gay, I want to let you know that I have nothing against you all, I do respect each person's choice in life.
But, I agree with what the Bible says...Sorry.!!

If the bible says being gay is wrong and god created all the animals, how do you explain animals that engage in homosexual behaviour?

Does your god suck that bad, that he would create things that he is agianst?
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 158
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/13/2015 8:36:47 PM

God does a reset and kills everyone because he screwed it up the first time.

For your information, He Didn't kill everyone in the flood , He saved Noah and his family, 8 in total.
Then the Lord said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation. You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a MALE And HIS FEMALE. to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 159
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/13/2015 8:51:56 PM

For your information, He Didn't kill everyone in the flood , He saved Noah and his family, 8 in total.
Then the Lord said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation. You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a MALE And HIS FEMALE. to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.

yeah yeah and all the animals in the world lived within walking distance of his home and also a 600 year old man built a boat ~450feet long, yeah totally believable and no reason to question any of that logic.

Either way, is your way of attempting to run away from your comment about Adam and Eve and how it is clear you do not know the bible?
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 160
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/13/2015 9:19:17 PM

yeah totally believable and no reason to question any of that logic.

Yup!!
God makes the impossible possible.!!

Nite nite.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 161
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/14/2015 6:05:09 AM

Yup!!
God makes the impossible possible.!!

Congratulations you just got schooled on the bible by someone who knows it is only just a book.

I guess you are not much of a believer after all.
 funchesf
Msg: 162
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/14/2015 6:47:45 AM

Aprilikeswhiteroses
You always distorts the meaning of everything that the Bible says, just to confuse people.... AND to make us MAD.!!

my only aim is to place thee on the path to true righteousness .... funches 3:16

Proverbs 12:10
The RIGHTEOUS MAN care for the needs of their animals,
but the kindest acts of the WICKED ARE CRUEL.

that passage might explain why the faithful opposed gay marriage but it states nothing about animals having rights

it's impossible to have Dominion over that which has rights ...funches 3:16

FOR EXAMPLE
now imagine if Man had rights that supercede God's Dominion over him...God wouldn't have the authority to drown people in Great Floods or toss them into the Lake of Fire

this is why in order to follow God's command the faithful is forbidden to give animal rights
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/14/2015 5:22:20 PM
The real point of the current discussion here is that the bible can mean different contradictory things. It's not bad just because of something that it says...it's bad because it can be seen to say different contradictory things. Of course, it's easy to claim that "no, it means this, not that", by someone who chooses to embrace one possible interpretation over others, but that's all that is.

"Of course, there is a crucial moral difference between those whose faith tells them to murder innocent people, and those whose faith tells them to respect life. But the difference is not something we can get from faith. The Islamic militant who believes he is doing the will of God when he flies a plane full of passengers into the World Trade Center is just as much a person of faith as the Christian who believes she is doing the will of God when she spends her days picketing a clinic that offers abortions. Faith cannot tell us who is right and who is wrong, because each will simply assert that his or her faith is the true one. In the absence of a willingness to offer reasons, evidence, or arguments for why it is better to do one thing rather than another, there is no progress to be made. If we try to dissuade people from becoming radical Islamic terrorists, not by persuading them to be more thoughtful and reflective about their religious beliefs, but by encouraging them to switch from one unquestioned religious faith to another, we are fighting with our hands tied behind our backs."

- Peter Singer
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 164
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/14/2015 10:13:46 PM
post 229

The character refered to as god in the book the bible created Adam and Eve to live in the Garden of Eden, but god being the d*ck that he was, also created a tree that had fruit that for some reason he put within walking distance to the two and just to make sure they didn't partake in the fruit he put a talking snake there to tempt them.

Adam & Eve story can be viewed allegorically as for the arrival of the first hominids advanced enough to understand the moral consequences of their own actions.

When "God" revealed himself to them, he knew what they were inclined to do by their nature; but he felt that they were at an evolutionary stage where they could comprehend the gravity of their decisions; hence the forbidden fruit issue!

This "fruit" symbolized a sort of cross-roads of higher development; where they were being tested to see if they accumulated enough "faith" to trust in their divine benefactor enough so that they could overcome or discard what they were innately inclined to do based on their own natural tendencies. The "snake" symbolized their base desires affecting their judgment(which we all have to struggle with and what often times gets us into trouble when we fail to keep them in check). They were put to this test because it was felt by God that they were now fully capable of realizing what they'd lost by choosing to disregard his directives. The key is that they were deemed to have enough mental capacity to understand the choices presented to them, thus their progressively advancing intelligence no longer entitled them to unconditional "grace". !

When they opted to disregard God's warning, the decision was carnally driven; something that was incongruous with that of a supernatural being. The end result is that they were 'disgraced' which means that they effectively chose to put their trust in their own judgment and pay whatever price for any mistakes and misjudgments to be made in the ways of the world; rather than opting for divine guidance! This did not represent condemnation by God, but rather another venue of life that they chose to enter into. They were not "loved' any less for the decision they made!

Its kinda like if you willingly chose to drive while you are drunk and then get into a serious accident leaving you permanently impaired; you then embark into a realm or venue in your life that you orchestrated for yourself.

Btw, in genesis, Adam & Eve (and their immediate descendents) were not the only humanoids of their time; there were others described.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/15/2015 3:31:43 AM
^ Good. Taking some things as allegory is appropriate. In this case, we should remember that it wasn't simply "partaking of forbidden fruit" or "of the tree of knowledge", but instead "eating of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil". Of course, when we consider things allegorically, we should make sure that we're understanding the intended structure and meaning of the allegory correctly.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 166
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/15/2015 5:34:20 AM

Adam & Eve story can be viewed allegorically as for the arrival of the first hominids advanced enough to understand the moral consequences of their own actions.

When "God" revealed himself to them, he knew what they were inclined to do by their nature; but he felt that they were at an evolutionary stage where they could comprehend the gravity of their decisions; hence the forbidden fruit issue!

After Adam ate the fruit:

"Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad." (Gen. 3:22)

Thus he had no idea what good and bad was before had, thus another part of the story falls apart as how could he know what the outcome would be if he had no ideas what good and bad was.

Not to mention then screw ups with the instructions:

Versions 1: And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food.” (Genesis 1:29)

Versions 2: And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (Genesis 2:7)

Now how could you expect to get any of that right?

Either way, the point remains that many so-called religious people have no idea what is in the book called the bible, because if they did, they would see that is not but a book and one with a ton of holes in the story.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 167
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/15/2015 5:43:28 AM
+1 @ msg 236...Good explanation.!!

HFX RGB2 Wrote:

Either way,is your way of attempting to run away from your comment about Adam and Eve and how it is clear you do not know the bible?

Run away?...Maybe...But not because I do not know the Bible.

I do use logic and common sense when I read the Bible, and this is why I said what I said to you on msg #228!!

April wrote: God created Adan and Eve for a reason......To multiply on the earth.!!

HFX RGB wrote: ....Nope...The character refered to as god in the book the bible created Adam and Eve to live in the Garden of Eden, but god being the d*ck that he was, also created a tree that had fruit that for some reason he put within walking distance to the two and just to make sure they didn't partake in the fruit he put a talking snake there to tempt them.....So he did not want them to eat the fruit and thus they where not created to populate the earth

The Bible declares that a rib taken from the man (Adam) God created a woman (Eva), and God gave them the blessing of being fruitful and multiplying.
God put Adam and his wife Eve in the garden of Eden, giving them the commandment not to eat of the "tree of knowledge of good and evil" ....."For when you eat from it you will certainly die.”.

Note:
Adan and Eve had 3 children.!!
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 168
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/15/2015 5:57:34 AM

The Bible declares that a rib taken from the man (Adam) God created a woman (Eva), and God gave them the blessing of being fruitful and multiplying.

That depends who you ask:

First Human Creation Story

Genesis 1-27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Second Human Creation Story

Genesis 2:18-22: And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

Once again you are proving you do not understand the bible.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 169
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/15/2015 7:02:00 AM

Should hfx_rgb2 Have Rights?

NO.....2 annoying.!!
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 170
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/15/2015 7:12:42 AM

NO.....2 annoying.!!

Yeah don't you hate that when people point out the fact your little book is so poorly write that the only logical conclusion one can come to, is it is complete bullsh*t.
 sviitmore
Msg: 171
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/16/2015 11:26:29 AM
^^^^^^

Yeah don't you hate that when people point out the fact your little book is so poorly write that the only logical conclusion one can come to, is it is complete bullsh*t.

I too am a non-believer, but you have to be a god awful person to belittle people who are believers. What do you hope to gain? You want to assert you are an atheist . . . great, but to be so offensive when offense is not necessary bespeaks very poorly of you.
 funchesf
Msg: 172
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/16/2015 3:42:12 PM

Do Animals Have Rights?

giving something "rights" that you "eat or own" is an illusion .....one would figure that if an animal could participate in it's own defense it would probably demand that it have the right not be "eaten or owned"

God created Adan and Eve for a reason

the reason would only prove that God is not perfect...a perfect God wouldn't have a need to create
 import_from_uk
Msg: 173
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/16/2015 8:06:41 PM

God created Adan and Eve for a reason

If God created Adam and Eve, why, on every religious painting and drawing, do they have belly buttons?
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 174
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/18/2015 11:24:52 PM
For # 238

Thus he had no idea what good and bad was before had, thus another part of the story falls apart as how could he know what the outcome would be if he had no ideas what good and bad was.

knowing what was good or bad beforehand wasn't part of reality for "adam & eve"
but its the way in which they decided to take the "fruit" that is the point of focus!
You could see this by what they were contemplating before they made their decision.

Gaining the knowledge by accessing the "fruit" represented a gateway into a whole new dimension for them,
which is all that mattered to them at that point, irrespective of what they had or what they were otherwise told; and it is only in that aftermath of crossing this threshold that they were able to know 'good' from 'bad'.

This process of thinking is what makes us 'human' and is what set us apart from other humanoids.

Versions 1: And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food.” (Genesis 1:29)

Applies to the common humanoids at large

Versions 2: And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (Genesis 2:7)

Pertinent only to adam & eve within the context of the so-called "garden of eden"
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 175
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/20/2015 4:58:48 AM
If Man Obeyed God
DarkMatter2525
Published on Dec 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_a6RjR_AHY

Messed-Up Bible Stories - 2 - Adam and Eve
Samination
Uploaded on Jul 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRGnPIlclps
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 176
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/20/2015 6:51:29 AM
^^^^
I bet those are atheists links, nobody but atheist will read / (watch) them.= Waste of time.!!

On topic;

Do animals have rights?

By the law of GOD, YES, they have rights.!!!

Ecclesiastes 3:18-20
“As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals.
Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. We All have the same breath;
humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless. All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT ^^
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 177
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/20/2015 6:56:10 AM

I bet those are atheists links, nobody but atheist will read / (watch) them.= Waste of time.!!

Sorry I forgot your beliefs are that fragile that you can not watch things that prove what you believe in was just made up.
 sviitmore
Msg: 178
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/20/2015 10:13:44 AM
^^^^ You can prove there is no God? All you can in reality do is speculate about that. As for the Bible, yea . . . it has some credibility issues . . . . but that has nothing to do with whether this world, indeed the Universe was created by more than spontaneous collisions between parallel universal branes at the time of the Big Bang.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Do Animals Have Rights?
Posted: 7/20/2015 10:40:42 AM
^ Oh no, here we go again. Are you prepared to say and ask those things? Do you really know what you're saying? Have you really looked into all that?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >