Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 printer2
Msg: 83
is everyone over 30 taking antidepressants?Page 7 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
You mean I could have been on them for the last 17 years and I wasn’t? That is not fair!

Seriously though I have a friend that was on them and it helped her get through a rough spot in life. I have no problem with people needing some help in life.

I made the mistake years ago of not taking painkillers for chronic pain. At the time the doctor said they would help but that they were addictive. I chose to deal with the pain and blew away years of my life. Eventually we managed to find another solution but if I were to do it again I would take some chemical help. Life is too short to waste especially when your internal chemistry is keeping you down.
 becca210
Msg: 86
is everyone over 30 taking antidepressants?
Posted: 12/26/2007 9:02:52 PM
After reading the newest comments, I just felt the urge to speak further. I for one, am not hiding behind anti-depressants..just using them sensibly. Some of you are talking Xanax...and I'm not certain if that is classified as an anti-depressant.....but I know that it is highly addictive and abused by many....if one feels good.......3/4 is better.
I'm talking about drugs in combination with hormones....based on your history...with the aid of your doctor. And often some woman.....gets on her soapbox and is determined not to take them.......and drives her husband/family nuts because she is so mean!
Another use that I have experience with........my mom was prescribed a mild dose after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's....it helped to reduce the agitation. The difference it made in her behavior was just awesome.
I'm certainly not promoting use.......I'm just saying that often they can be the answer to many issues.
Having been married to a psychologist, I am certainly not discounting their worth.
However, there are many people that can not afford their services.
JMO........Becca
 kattalina
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2007 10:00:06 AM
i know several people who are on them, or who have been on and off, on and off. once upon a time, years back, a therapist i was seeing recommended them. but i said no, and i worked with other methods. i have been through "situational" depression, which means, there is a situation in your life that is causing the depression, like having to care take for an elderly parent or some other situation that disrupts your whole life. i do believe the times we are living in aren't easy either. so, for those who are interested, some of the things i have used (successfully) are flower essences, a spiritual mantra practice, and EFT (emotional freedom technique; i am a facilitator of this ). a good therapist can also be invaluable -- i happened to find one, and she is very, very good. i am not one for a lot of "talk" therapy; this therapist both listens and gives very practical strategies for whatever you are dealing with, so that you can get on with your life.
 dvd1711
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/28/2007 12:23:19 PM
Opinions are like you know what so here's mine. It is obvious to me that you need these medications. I don't think it is a matter of a needing another doctor - nor recommend searching google to find one. And, I don't think you need to find who you are - or that medication is stopping you from figuring that out.

Prozac, Zoloft, and the like are NOT like alcohol or other drugs. They are not the same. Having said that, you would be better to take a multi-facitted approach to health. You should see a psych or therapist while on them to monitor your dose and talk therapy.

You have gone through a lot in your life that is difficult for anyone to go through. You are so brave to go through it and to share your story.

I have been diagnosed with sever depression and worked hard to get the right medication - for me it was Effexor - the right counseling - a psych for the med dosage monitor and social worker for talk. I also exercise - I don't eat as right as I can but I am a work in progress. I was lucky enough to get to a place to "Work" my way off the Effexor.

Don't focus on the meds - I am very surprised at the stigma still. If you need them they are one of many tools on your tool belt. Use all of your tools - friends, love, psych, talk, exercise - gosh that last one is best! Remember, just as the carpenter uses his hammer the most, he still needs the other tools to get the job done.

Peace, Love, and Light.
/dvd
 Miashakti
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2007 7:30:56 AM
Yes, Classjewels

There is nothing 'wrong' with taking drugs for depression, or for anything else for that matter. The whoe right/wrong conversation
is a moralistic one, and who needs that? It's just an added stress factor.

I like to think we're all doing the best we can with the information we have. And we're all being fed the easy way out, every time we turn on the TV...Just take this little pill, and everything will be okay. Meanwhile your local Walgreens is looking like a Grand Hotel....The profit margin on these little pills is astronomical!javascript:smilie('')

Do you think it might be more empowering for your mom (or anyone with average intelligence) to learn that she could manage her emotional states on her own? To seek the ways, and make the effort? This is spiritual growth.javascript:smilie('')

The downside of any drug, is that in one way or another it weakens the individual,,,with residual toxicity that stays in the organs until detoxed, and with the attitude of "I'm dependent on this chemical to stay balanced", or to stay alive.

So, the question becomes a little different...if you want to really look at it.

Jivanajavascript:smilie('')
 blue_princess
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2007 4:56:12 PM
I am on Wellbutrin and Lexapro because I have major depression and PTSD. I am also in therapy and have gone to ACOA and other group therapy but therapy alone can't fix a chemical imbalance. I have low serotonin and the thing that caused my PTSD made permanent changes to my brain because I was so young when it happened.

One still had suicidal inclinations and another goes in and out of binge drinking -- or did until they finally decided to accept things as they are and DO something else.

No medication is perfect for everyone. It is hard to find the right dosage and combination. It took me almost 2 years to find something where the benefits outweighed the side effects. One medicine I was on made me gain 30 pounds in 6 months and it took me over a year to lose it all. And binge drinking is a different issue which is comorbid with depression, or whatever else was going on with your friend. It is true that medication by itself usually can't solve a problem that is not just temporary/situational but I do know it has helped me a lot with my moods. I would get so depressed that I was almost catatonic and stared into space, and couldn't concentrate enough to read or even watch TV. I would zone out and notice I missed 20-30 minutes of the show. I would stay in bed all the time instead of going out and doing anything. I also used to have panic attacks a lot more often than I do now. Medications are neither all bad or all good.
 Pink Rose Lady
Msg: 150
Posted: 12/31/2007 5:29:57 PM
Well said, Cody. I've been through a lot in my life and haven't had to resort to taking anti-depressants. Some meds have side effects that can leave you a walking zombie, and time has a way of slipping by before you even start thinking straight and know what's going on. Tonight it'll be Strawberry Zinfandel for me, it goes with everything!!!

Happy New Year everyone.

Pink
 ORTech
Msg: 161
Posted: 12/31/2007 8:07:10 PM
To all you ignorant idiots, there is a big difference between having a situational sadness, and a darkness that no one, I mean no one knows, unless you have been there. My favorite ignorant comment is "slap them out of it". How about slapping cancer, heart decease, sexual abuse, rape, ovarian cysts, tumors, a broken leg or arm. Just because you can't see this decease doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Would you tell someone that needs chemo to just suck it up. The brain is an organ, and it breaks. Being sad is not depression. So those of you that are judging those that suffer from this debilitating "DECEASE", back off. I dare anyone of you to confront in person any parent, sister, brother who has died because of depression and just tell them to just "suck it up".
 ORTech
Msg: 162
Posted: 12/31/2007 8:15:59 PM
To jstgttnby1,

You need a chill pill.
 enfpman
Msg: 168
Posted: 12/31/2007 10:55:37 PM
Annikagirl,

Agreed. The arrogance of some practitioners is annoying to me, too. I'm studying psychology, and have already met some lecturers, clinicians (dated one for a while) who take themselves far too seriously.

The comments you addressed remind me of the petty jealousies/rivalries between various fields, notably chiropractors/physiotherapists and psychologists vs almost anyone else who question their authority including sociologists and psychiatrists.

The sort of arrogance displayed merely serves as a model for some of us to take heed of so as to maintain our vigilance lest we become like them.
 blue_princess
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2008 7:45:01 PM
I had actually asked if I could try cymbalta because I have fibromyalgia, and I have a bad knee and degenerative disease in my left shoulder. But my doctor said Wellbutrin and Lexapro, which I am on now, should do the same thing. I still have to take anti-inflammatories and other medicines though to control the pain. IM I am very glad that you have found something to relieve your pain. Those headaches must have been awful.

And I am offended by the people who keep saying we are hooked on medications. Antidepressants are not even addictive. Some anti-anxiety medicines or sleeping pills might be IF TAKEN IMPROPERLY. But if you taper your dosage of anti-depressants appropriately when you start taking them, and then back down when you go off them you should not have major withdrawal problems except for a few really notorious drugs like Paxil or Effexor. Fortunately as I was being tapered off one med I was starting another so I didn't really have any of those problems that some people have had to deal with.
 Enchanted8808
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2008 8:44:55 PM
I take vitamin B as well as many other vitamins....no matter how concious one is of thier diet ..the apple we eat today does not have the same nutrirtional value as the ones our grandparetns ate....

I think we live in a society that is far to quick to reach to the psych community for help instead of places we once looked ...like to family friends and even clergy...maybe if more of us talked to one another we'd all he healthier and happier...

thanks for your post...
Linnie

climbsagain
Msg: 176
Posted: 1/26/2008 4:14:34 PM
If you are on meds for depression have you ever gone through talk therapy. The drugs alone will not make the background issues go away. Time to dealk with it all or the alternative, taking the meds on and on.
 ahistorychic
Msg: 177
Posted: 1/26/2008 10:44:34 PM
I can certainly relate to this. My mom passed on when I was 15 from breast cancer. I was called upon to "run" the household at 12 years old when my mom was diagnosed. (Talk about losing your childhood!) Now, their relationship had not been great as my father decided having an affair on my mom with his security guard at work was more worthy of his free time than spending time with his family. So, it was only a month and a half after my mother had passed when he announced his "girlfriend" was moving in. Then they decided to get married....oh goody. So, basically I've been an adult since I was 12 and on my own since I was 15. When my ten year high school reunion came around, I just freaked. I was then 28 years old and had not even came close to accomplishing what I thought I would have by 28. So, I thats when my breakdowns started. The final straw was my last relationship which ended badly about a year ago. I left pregnant, with nothing but the clothes on my back and was living with friends for a few months trying to pull myself together. I ended up having a miscarrage which put me in deep, deep depression. Thats when I went on prozac. I've been on it since then and it has totally changed me for the better. Today I have my own apartment, car and job. I've worked hard to improve myself and am feeling ready to head back into the market and date. But without prozac, I'm a basketcase and can't function. I'll probably be on it the rest of my life but I can live with that. Hopefully, the next person I have a relationship will be able to live with it too.
 punem264
Msg: 178
Posted: 2/3/2008 8:54:41 PM
Good for u ahistorychic and all others on this thread. I too have been on effexor for the last ten years. I made a lot of changes in my life. If someone reads this and knows that I take antidepressants and can't except that, that is their problem. One thing that I have learned is, that we need to take baby steps. That's what I have done. I would like to be off effexor one day it has helped me though, but if I have to be on it for the rest of my life so be it. I also find now that exercising has helped too.

Cheers!
 virgogidget
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2008 11:29:20 PM
No im not on anything.
 punem264
Msg: 182
Posted: 2/4/2008 8:35:20 PM
I know how you feel we try so hard in lives, but sometimes we do need the extra help. No, not everybody needs them but some people do. I have tried to wean off my meds too, I think my exercising is helping along with it. I have done talk therapy myself as well. Sorry about the 3 men who took their lives away. It is tough world out there.

Cheers!
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 199
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:10:49 AM
Not everyone takes them!!!! I have never taken them, never will. I have had a few emotional rough times and been suggested I do take them (normal stuff, to much homework, met a liar and moved for him, bills are due, things we need to face every day as adults, blah blah blah ) but I have found for me overall, a good workout, ride my horse or concentrate on other things, has been the "cure all". I know way to many people addicted to those kind of things...not to mention for me, I just cringe at putting chemicals in my body. I suppose they do help some people, and I have found in studies in some of my Psychology classes that they are recommended more than they should be. If they work for some people, that is great. The only thing I wish the ADA would come up with is a pill some people could take to make them stop lying. I know a guy I met on here that could use a few years worth...lol. If they came up with a pill like that, I bet a lot of society would not need anti depressants. To sum this up~ if they are working for some of you, that is great. I am just for myself all about all other options first. We all have our thoughts and views in things. I have close friends on them. For some they work, for others I see it as a pure addiction.
 Sardonis
Msg: 200
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:43:40 AM
I don't take them.

I get depressed sometimes, but it is because I am in a situation that I do not want to be in. I just change/correct/improve the situation.

It's pretty simple really.
 EagleEric
Msg: 203
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:59:51 AM
Well I feel great all the time and alway have. I don't need any drugs and yet I've had a fair share of tragedy in my own life.

A little rain will fall in all lives, and how you choose to deal with it will determine just how happy you are. You might remember that we all are going to die and however long anyone lives is a lifetime.

You've created your own nitemare and you'll have to dig yourself out of it. I wouldn't recommend a psychiatrist because their role is treating mental illnesses with drugs. What you need is the help of a psychologist who is experienced dealing with grief, stress, and depression.

The Eagle
 CeU2
Msg: 205
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:08:54 AM
Grief takes a very long time to get over. It is similar to depression and if the medicine helps stay on it. Just my advice.
 degostyle
Msg: 206
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:11:02 AM
im 31 and have never been on any kind of pill and probably will never be on any. It gets lonely at times but I am the kind of person that turns everything into a positive so more times than not I always have a smile on my face. You only live once so make of it what you can
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 207
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:20:22 AM
im somewhat dyslexic so i take pro-depressants..
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 209
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:10:41 PM
Not on them and never have been. I've had leukemia, a child who is autistic, a husband with cancer, lost a business, got divorced etc.,

I'm an upbeat, strong and positive person.

I haven't ever even considered medication to get me through the things in life I have faced.

And I don't think I would.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  >