Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Xavery
Msg: 5
Anyone retired young ( no older than 45)?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
No - I think the OP is saying that he was 45 when he retired. I can see why this could be a problem. (Personally, I am not retiring for a while.)

Back to the problem of a young retiree - I think a lot of people work long hours these days and cannot put all of their time into a relationship. The retiree may have more time than the person still in the work force. Also if you are in the work force suffering the slings and arrows that come your way, it is nice to talk with another facing similar challenges.

Retirement is complicated. Many people feel that their work defines in a large way who they are. If you retire young, it may seem that part of something that makes a statement about who you are is gone.

Also, a lot of us are driven to work like dogs, so questions about your work ethic may come up if you retire young.

It is great that you were successful enough to retire young, but I personally dont believe you can baske in that glory forever. I hope I haven't offended anyone. These are just my opinions and I am just a crazy work addicted person. Although, one does not have to be employed to be addicted to work. There is always something somewhere that needs doing.
 Xavery
Msg: 9
Anyone retired young ( no older than 45)?
Posted: 12/26/2007 8:48:54 PM
People don't just work for money. Some people work because they have skills that enable them to contribute something to society. The thing about grabbing the fruit while your able to enjoy it is a little selfish and in fact, some people can't enjoy the fruit because they need to offer their talents to society. It depends on your nature and what you value, I guess. And - no - you don't have to be a payed employee to contribute. People can volunteer. In fact, some of you may be able even to volunteer on a cruise ship. Balance as the previous postered mentioned is the key.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 11:02:11 PM
I retired at 52, sold a business, house and everything else and moved to another country looking for my bliss.
Now I'm going nuts with boredom and no one to share the view....plus the dollar is sinking and the euro doubling and it's hell trying to start a business here.
Gotta watch what you wish for....you just might get it , just not in quite the form you had envisioned.
 thebevy
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 7:32:19 AM
Retirement at 45 would have happened only if I decided to live in a refrigerator box. Call me silly, but I like square footage.

I would shy away from any hint of financial independence in a profile.
The truth will surface when you're both ready.

And yes, the mere word "retired" does smack of denture creme and hoverounds.
Find something you like to do, not have to do.
 moraima
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 8:02:04 AM
I guess that OP doesn't want anymore opinions on this as he has left the building.

I have tried dating retired men. They in turn have figured that because I own my own business that I can keep them company whenever they want, which is too often. They have figured that phoning repeatedly during the work day is ok, because after all they are more important and my business (this before I hardly even know them) My experience has been that retired people are too in need of something to do, and someone to do it with. Of course it depends on the person. If someone is very independant and can keep themselves amused then a retired person and a non retired person could get along.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/28/2007 3:55:03 PM
All of ya'll (yes, we have dialect differences on my home planet) are living in the wrong..wayyy wrong part of the Galaxy. We retire at the age of 25 - having fullfilled our requirements of working since the age of 18. Gotta luv it!

Didn't yous guys (I'm multi lingual) Earthlings have a tea party .... something to do with taxation without representation. Me thinks the operative phrase 'responsible/common sense' should have preceded the word 'representation'.

SueCat51
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2007 4:15:57 PM
OP - if you are financially able as well as mentally capable of retiring at age 45 (not due to disability or unemployment), I say kuddos to you
Don't focus on what others think, some will think its cool, others will feel threatened by it. Gosh, I wish I could cut my work days to 3 days a week; volunteer 1 day a week; and have 3 days to do chores, and leisurely stuff around the house. Travel?? You bet!!! I'd like to globe trot around the world, not all at once, but in bits and pieces.
One of my goals is when I turn 60 is to backpack through Europe for 2-3 months. That means, I will take time from work. Will it be worth it? You bet.

You'll find it hard at a "young" age to find someone who is on the same page with you in life. Who ever walks into your life, BOTH of you will have to have an understanding and respect for each other's lifestyles. There will be a lot of negotiating on each part, but it is doable.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/12/2008 11:00:14 AM
I know people who are retired seem to forget that we working people have limited free time, we HAVE to schedule things in order to fit them all in, we just cannot take a lot of time off work, and we get tired from work and the stress of working/responsibility. My own mom has given me grief about not coming to vacations, "Can't you just take leave without pay?" Um, yeah, sometimes--but that means NO PAY. Duh.
 wishfulthinkn
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/13/2008 12:01:21 AM
i retired at 46, cashed out and cleared out, lol. don't regret it for a moment. gets boring at times so that's when i have to get busy, i've read so many books i always wanted to read, and i can weed my garden morning or noon or night. i can actually prepare food, i so seldom bother with take-out anymore, and i love being able to schedule trips and appointments at time. my relationships have really improved now that i have the time and energy for them.

anyway, i would like to think that i'll be measured like anyone else, character, personality, nice legs, ha!!

people are kind of shocked when they learn that i'm retired, i don't think they envy me, but it makes it difficult to do things when they have to manage work demands. interesting posts here, thanks for the question!
 KissableAquarian
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/13/2008 4:54:35 PM
Retirement is boring!!!! I retired after 20 years @80% of my pay,but since they don't take out state tax and the other misc. nonsense,i take home the same as when i was working 40 hours per week.My retirement cannot let me eat prime rib every night,or take a different woman out every night,but i can live comfortably without having to work where i don't want to.The first thing i noticed was that you lose your identity when you retire(i was in law enforcement),and since everyone else works,there is no one to hang around with or go golfing or out on the lake,unless it's on a weekend.Out of sight,out of mind is also an issue with your co-workers,and there is alot of jealousy when you are sitting at home drawing a monthly check when everyone else is getting up @ 6 am.I work part time when i want to supplement my income,but i am afraid i am in the minority instead of the majority.I always thought you worked a job where your employer would reward you for years of service and your 401-k would take care of you forever.Unless you are in the military or a state or other government job,you won't get to retire until social security kicks in.To answer your question,i think you have to work somewhere just to keep your mind stimulated and keep your sanity,albeit not having to work a job you don't want to.It would be great to be married with a woman who also is retired,or date someone who can just go somewhere or travel on a whim.
 Ainen
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/26/2014 6:58:11 AM
Necromanced this thread because of the title. Am under 45, but the rules say whippersnappers can post here.

No pension, so not in the same definition of "retirement" as the OP. People with pensions often take additional jobs after they "retire". My definition of retired is never going to work for someone again.

My goal has long been to retire by 47. Achieved several years early.

No problems, major or minor. Today is my first full day, but I don't anticipate problems. As said in the first post, lots of free time and a flexible schedule.

Even when I had a regular job, I never messaged anyone whose profile says "you must have a job", "must have a career", or similar dysfunction.

Just changed my profession to retired on the other dating site. Will see if the response rate falls. Here I list a hobby and a volunteering category.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2014 6:13:03 PM

Even when I had a regular job, I never messaged anyone whose profile says "you must have a job", "must have a career", or similar dysfunction.

"dysfunction"?

judgmental much?

it's hardly dysfunctional to want to share your life with someone whose values match your own and/or are at the same place in life that you are. we see far, FAR too many threads posted all over this forum from men and women who have encountered sponges who only wanted to live off them!

i was contacted by someone this week who is 51 and retired - and his 3rd message to me was asking if i would give up my job and my life at my home in order to spend 6 months of the year in Florida. (i've had skin cancer lesions removed several times over the last 3 decades, i don't go out in the sun.)

my grandmother (who turned 94 in January) worked until she was 90 because she wanted to, while my mother, who retired at 65, regrets retiring. i think there's a reason my grandmother still has all her faculties intact, and i think it's because she didn't retire young. my intention is to follow in her footsteps since i do love my job.
 Proteaus
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/28/2014 6:53:28 AM
I retired after I turned 51 , 30 years of federal service and out . I do not miss working at all , it is a over rated experience . I am very pleased to no longer be a productive member of the ant nest .
 or_current_resident
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/29/2014 5:29:25 AM

My experience has been that retired people are too in need of something to do, and someone to do it with. Of course it depends on the person. If someone is very independant and can keep themselves amused then a retired person and a non retired person could get along.

Good point....as there are those that have [retired early] and now what... & how they can amuse themselves now if single, and if there is another in the wings, who is still working their 9 to 5 job... Very simply.....but first you need to ask yourself this....
As lucky for us, we make it work, me being retired.... opens so much more time now.... in doing the things that when working I could not do or have any time or freedom to do so....as I could give Mac'Gyver a run for his money when it comes to tinkering,improvising,exploring & adventure...^^^^^

And it is so nice to share together many things...... & it also nice to do it alone too.....
As I'm sure it would bore the heck out of her on some of the stuff anyway....and when she out & about with her friends, no need for me to be in attendance. ^^^^^
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >