Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Goats Milk, any different to cows milk?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Goat's milk is different from cow's milk is different from sheep's milk is different from . . . They are all different.

I've kept goats and had neighbors who kept goats. Some goat's milk gets a strong flavor to it and the older it gets, the more "goaty" it will taste. My neighbor used to let her billy run with the does and her milk tasted very strong. I didn't like it at all. I've been told that the presence of the billy affects the female goats' hormones. All I know is that her goat's milk was undrinkable.

Ours, when it was fresh, was very good. I'm not a milk drinker but I liked it.

As for the difference in the makeup (fat content, etc.) you can easily look that up.

From: http://www.goatworld.com/articles/goatmilk/goatmilk.shtml

12) Fat
One of the more significant differences from cow milk is found in the composition and structure of fat in goat milk. The average size of goat milk fat globules is about 2 micrometers, as compared to 21/2 - 31/2 micrometers for cow milk fat. These smaller sized fat globules provide a better dispersion, and a more homogeneous mixture of fat in the milk. Research indicates that there is more involved to the creaming ability of milk than merely physical size of the fat globules. It appears that their clustering is favored by the presence of an agglutinin in milk which is lacking in goat milk, therefore creating a poor creaming ability, especially at lower temperatures.

13)
The natural homogenization of goat milk is, from a human health standpoint, much better than the mechanically homogenized cow milk product. It appears that when fat globules are forcibly broken up by mechanical means, it allows an enzyme associated with milk fat, known as xanthine oxidase to become free and penetrate the intestinal wall. Once xanthine oxidase gets through the intestinal wall and into the bloodstream, it is capable of creating scar damage to the heart and arteries, which in turn may stimulate the body to release cholestrol into the blood in an attempt to lay a protective fatty material on the scarred areas. This can lead to arteriosclerosis. It should be noted that this effect is not a problem with natural (unhomogenized) cow milk. In unhomogenized milk this enzyme is normally excreted from the body without much absorption.

Molly Maude
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Goats Milk, any different to cows milk?
Posted: 2/4/2010 11:48:22 AM
ClamBroth ... lactose intolerance has nothing to do with allergies ... you don't "overcome the lactose intolerance and .... 'allergic' ..."

"lactose intolerance" is when an individual doesn't have the ability to process the lactose (sugar) in milk ... the result is a gastrointestinal disturbance to one degree or another ... it hurts ... this condition appears to have a strong genetic component ...

an "allergy" is an over-reaction by a person's body to the presence of, for example, milk proteins (or the protein in eggs, peanuts, etc.) ... the body mistakenly considers these proteins to be a pathogen and the body tries to "kill" it ... the reaction is called an anaphylactic reaction ... leading to anaphylactic distress and shock ... it's respiratory in nature ... and it's serious ...

my personal opinion is that allergies are caused by exposure to a potential allergen at an age when the child's body hasn't developed enuf to be able to handle it ... of course, being pre-disposed genetically would be another factor ... just my opinion ...

but I'm liking the theory about the size of the fat globules being difficult for infants, children ... etc.
 arwen52
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2010 10:36:24 PM
This thread wasn't about lactose intolerance or whether you should drink milk or not. This thread asked the question - is goat's milk different than cow's milk and what can be done with it?

OP - check out the link I posted above. It will give you a lot of facts about goat's milk.

You can use it in cooking like cow's milk.

Some people like it, some people don't. I drank it and liked it when I kept goats. Outside of when I kept dairy animals, I'm not a milk drinker.

There are a *lot* of inaccurate statements in many of these posts. The claims about lactose intolerance are exaggerrated. The statements about protein and fat are inaccurate. The link provided earlier will give you some good factual information.

I'd use the stuff you bought for cooking cake or something like that. You could try drinking it but I'm wondering if something packaged like that will really be that good. Try it. I'd chill it. But it might not be great. Maybe it will be fine. Tell us what *you* think after you've tried it.
 texasbaby
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 6:10:52 PM
Maybe the main problem with that idea is how to effectively house and feed such large herds of lactating women.
The milking process embarrasses you? My, my...

tb
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >