Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wanderbaby
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Single Parents and benefits.Page 2 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I think there's only a small amount of countries that provide this. US isn't one of them, but there are programs that may help with some things they need for their children depending on the income that the parent/s make. We also have the child tax benefit too. I think if the US had this program, then the US would be bankgrupt. Some people take advantage of the system as it is, so it wouldn't benefit the country more less the tax payers.
 curious chaos
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Single Parents and benefits.
Posted: 1/15/2008 9:33:20 PM
who feel they have the RIGHT to govrnement tax or other benefits neverending for the simple reason that they possess a vagina.
You mention " other benefits ",so I am guessing this would include any orphan benefits,CPP benefits /spousal benefits????
Do I feel I have the RIGHT to these benefits ,Damn straight!Last time I checked I paid CPP on my cheques,I'm pretty sure my late husband did too. Please do not generalize them.
 xitbrat
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2008 1:41:03 PM
You have benefits being a single parent? I must have missed that. LOL I work 1-1/2 jobs and guess do not qualify. I try very hard to give my children the same quality of life they had before the divorce. It is hard enough they have to deal with their parents no long being together and all the abandonment issues that go with without adding fuel to the fire. Unfortunately, if you make "more" money, then you receive no "benefits" whatsoever. I am always riding on that cut off line so I have to work 2 jobs. My children are worth it.
 xitbrat
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2008 3:39:29 PM
WOW! CHECK OUT ALL THE OPINIONATED, SANCTIMONIOUS PEOPLE! LOL
OK. With that said. Judge not people lest you be judged. I can not and will not judge a person for getting federal help. Am I in that person’s circumstance? I am not saying that there are people that are out there unnecessarily taking advantage of a system, but by no means can I go out and point them out. Like I said before, I work 2 jobs, and one of the jobs is very lucrative. I choose to work those 2 jobs for my children. Not everyone may be capable of doing that, but again, I cannot and will not judge who can or cannot. But I will be forthright and honest and saying that IF I lost a job, and was in the position of needing “help”, I would not let my pride and judgmental people sway me in getting assistance from whatever program that was available. The welfare of my children takes precedence. From my perspective, I work, I pay taxes that pay for those governmental assistance programs, and I have paid for that right if needed.
 unwanted1969
Msg: 315
view profile
History
sounds like you know about alot of things
Posted: 2/11/2008 10:13:30 AM
Hi, how are you doing with everything like having to deal with the kids and day care. I'm lucky enough that i don't have to worry about day care,because my son's grandma and grandpa watch him when i'm at work.S o,i really appreciate it that they can do that for me.Sounds like alot of people aren't so lucky. Talk to you later.
 brandy_n_3
Msg: 361
Posted: 3/15/2008 8:51:49 AM

At the moment I work full-time. I work more then full time really. I am seriously considering going part-time though. It's for my son. he needs me home. He isn't doing well in life as he could be. So what do I do? Do i continue to work full-time and hope my son starts doing better? Or do I work less so I am home more so I can be there to support him, to guide him and to help him. if I went part-time I might be forced to apply for some tax benefits. Am I wrong? Isn't my son more important then that? If I made this decision would i be ostracitized or looked down on? Isn't it better to raise a well rounded child then work so much you can't raise them properly??

I had to make this choice 2 years ago. My kids were floundering, my oldest son was failing in school and they wanted to pass his through, at the ripe old age of 7 he was talking about suicide etc. My 6yr old dd was facing expulsion from school due to her behaviour(or lack there of, she just refused to do anywork in school). They were suffering by e working so much. Both have hidden special needs, meaning you can't see them to look at them, they are mental health issues. I made the choice to find a p/t job I could take my kids to (spl;it shift) and homeschool them inbetween the shifts. So when not on maternity leave, I work 7-9 am homeschool from 9-230 then work 2:30-6. There is alot of stigma that goes with it, I do not use welfare or the like, but I do utilize subsidized housing, so my rent is based onincome, considering rent in my city for a 2bdrm apt is around $1200 even working f/t I would need help in that department. I also get full childtax benefits. I am not rolling int he dough, so those who think that people who get child tax benefits are somehow doing better than them is crap. Everyone who files their taxes and doesn't earn a crazy high income gets the benefits (even my mom got them 30 years ago though t was called baby bonus back then) so this is not a new thing designed to make tax payers suffer.

Anyway I digress, I made the choice to cut back to p/t to be their for my children. I get alot of flack for it, but I have seen the positive results, my son now 9, loves life, his meds are dwn to 1/3 of what they were, he loves learning and now has dreams of attending a prestigious private school and university to go into engineering. My dd who previously refused to do school work for her teachers is excelling, and is excited to have found an elementary school zoology science program to do for the next 3 years as she has plans to go into zoology in university. The younger 2 are doing marvelously because they have me home with them in these early years, what a difference from how things were with my older two dropping them off at dycare 10 hours a day.

I didn't plan on becoming a single parent when I got married and had children. I also didn't plan on going for 6 years with no child support when my marriage failed(he has now started paying and has done so for 4 months), or for my ex-husband to not speak to the kids again after the marriage ended. But I did promise my children when I had them that come hell or high water they would have the best life I could give them because they deserved no less. At this point in time giving them that best life means working fewer hours and getting child tax benefit to do so. Single parenting is tough enough without people who have never had to raise their children alone telling us how wrong we all our for our choices.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >