Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ron9
Msg: 10
A word about smoking....Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Well over half the gals that send me an email ...... I could have never sent them one.

- age setting
- smoking setting
- distance setting

........ umm speaking of ah er ah ........ public service announcements ....... I am now a light smoker 6/7 a day ....... come and get me girls lol.

WAIT ....... on that other thread the smoking females are ........... well “easy” ......... forget what I said above.
 toolbelt46
Msg: 11
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/9/2008 9:26:15 PM
but how come we can't block non-smokers???
 JWA
Msg: 16
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/10/2008 3:18:17 AM
OP as much a "public service" you think this "advice" is consider this:

1% or less of the entire POF site membership actually read or participate in these forums. Given that, your message here addresses only that small percentage therefore isn't really all that effective. While I agree with your ideas and tend to follow them myself as a "militant anti-smoker" so we're in agreement there. Since it is such a deal breaker I let that be known in my profile. I don't block anyone except those without photos which allows me to exchange emails with others who might respond to something I've said here.

Good attempt though-------thanks!
 cowtrucker
Msg: 23
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/10/2008 5:18:04 PM
I don't have smoker's blocked, but it is in my profile that my mate will NOT smoke. I left it open, in case the right match smokes now, but plans to quit. It IS a deal-breaker for me, but it's not something that can't be cured...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 smartazzjohn
Msg: 36
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/10/2008 8:57:20 PM
""Whiners"?? A non-smoker who prefers a non-smoker is now a whiner??WTF?"

Not all non smokers, no one said ALL non smokers did, but some of them sure do.

"I can't imagine ANY other addiction getting as much support as this one - AND especially I can't imagine anyone thinking it is OK to poison another persons air. That is EXACTLY what Cigarette smoke does to me - It Literally poisons my air."

I agree no one should poison YOUR air. If I'm in a place where smoking is allowed then its not YOUR air, or do you feel all the air is YOURS?

"I prefer someone who doesn't think their addiction should take precedence over another human beings life."

I agree again, thats why I respect peoples rights and only smoke where it is allowed. As long as its legal others should respect my rights as well no matter how much they don't like it.

"This Non smoker is done Whining .. for now. "

Like I said from the start, not all non smokers whine. At least you admit to it.

OOTD I totally understand your point of view. Alien Secrets I also understand you not wanting to date or even be around smokers. Since I am a smoker I don't know how I would feel about dating one if I quit, perhaps I would feel much the same way that many of non smokers feel about it.

Just for the record there are times when I wish it were illegal to smoke. I think my will to obey the law would be greater than my addiction.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 41
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/10/2008 9:56:49 PM
It's like kissing an ashtray! Ick!

Ah! *Such* an original image!! Is there a school where non-smokers go to get handed their talking points?

~blue eyes~
Msg: 52
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/11/2008 9:55:12 AM
"More people worldwide are allergic to soaps/perfumes/colognes, etc. than cigarettes. Plus, the reaction to perfumes, etc. are much more life threatening than cig. smoke."

It can be for some people, maybe not as common as perfumes, but that doesn't mean it isn't just as bad if not worse.

As for all the rest its a personal choice and preference. People just need to get over themselves.

I smoke, but will not do so around non-smokers, nor will I ever smoke around a child.
I may have this bad habit/addiction, or whatever you want to call it, it does not mean that others need to enjoy it with me.
I see nothing wrong with the no smoking within 20ft of a building or with kids in the car. Or bars for that matter.
Smoking is bad for you no doubt about it, and yes everyone knows this, but when you are a smoker and they are so easy to get, its hard to quit, not impossible though.

OT:
Again people know what they are looking for, for the most part, thats why they have the filters on there. If someone chooses to send an email to someone they have blocked its thier choice to do so. And yes by blocking a particular group they could be missing out on someone wonderful, but there is nothing that says if you pass this person by you'll be out of luck. Its just allowing them to find someone wonderful who matches what they are looking for.
 fancynanci
Msg: 53
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/11/2008 10:38:06 AM
People that block others are just BLOCKHEADS
 spitfire6844
Msg: 70
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/12/2008 5:51:30 PM
The OP has a valid point. People ought to be consistent with their filters. Don't contact someone who doesn't meet the criteria that you've set yourself in your own profile. DUH!
 gigi7
Msg: 71
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/12/2008 5:55:43 PM
The Lady is correct. No one has the right to harass anyone. You may not agree with a certain lifestyle a person has chosen but only God has the right to judge and c'mon he must have had something to do with the tobacco crops!

Knocking the tobacco industry is just plain foolish. Tobacco and liquor are the 2 highest taxed "pleasures" of the nation. I'm not saying smoking is right or wrong, however as far as my age bracket goes almost everyone smoked. I was never, ever advised to stop smoking or drinking for that matter when I was expecting any of my children. It just wasn't an issue then. We smokers are a product of our environment and upbringing. Again, I'm not saying it's a good thing but smoking is an addiction - one that society at this time has chosen smoking to be one affliction that they will not tolerate.

So yes, let the health care system provide facilities for people that want to quit smoking. I don't think anyone can honestly judge what addiction is the worse. I get physically nauseated when I see a 300lb person in a grocery store filling their cart with every bit of junk there is to offer. I can't imagine ramming my fingers down my throat to vomit - it's disgusting. People that bite their nails make me cringe (do they not know where their hands have been in the course of the day!) Exercising until your body looks like the Michelin Man , ****ing and whining about stupid things - my god just read the news! The list can go on and on.

I do think that POF should have a category for people who are truly attempting to quit.
Yes, I am a very considerate smoker. I am not a stupid or arrogant person and respect the rights of myself and others around me. The last time I tried to quit nobody would even be around me. It's not an easy thing but I'm trying a new approach this time.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 72
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/12/2008 5:57:05 PM

Let's start with overeaters. Obesity brings just as many, if not more, medical problems than smoking. Heart disease, diaetes, renal failure, depression.......
LOL! the reason obesity is OK and perfectly acceptable for raising our insurance rates and over all health care costs is because it's not politically incorrect! I did the survey on the American Heart Association's website......IF I quit smoking today....I can expect to add 4.7 years to my life span; but if I gained 20 pounds....that would cut 7.3 years OFF my life expectancy. LOL! I think I'll just keep smoking my little cherry cigars and stay thin and live long enough to laugh at people cramming Big Mac's down their throats while rolling their eyes and "tsk tsking" at me for being a "bad girl" LOL!
 spitfire6844
Msg: 74
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/12/2008 6:14:44 PM

Let's start with overeaters. Obesity brings just as many, if not more, medical problems than smoking. Heart disease, diaetes, renal failure, depression.......

This has been mentioned a million times. The difference between smoking and other bad habits (overeating, etc) is that smoking does affect people around the smoker through secondhand smoke. Even if you doubt the extent of its effect--there is strong evidence that secondhand smoke is harmful to bystanders.

If you're gonna smoke, that's your business; but DON'T try to equate a habit which has effects on others in the vicinity with habits which only affect the person who has the habit.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 78
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/12/2008 8:30:45 PM

Just to clarify...I did not equate smoking to obesity with respect to their respective risks to others.

I was addressing the comment on the drain of health care resources caused by smokers. THAT can be compared to obesity....and all the other health problems people bring upon themselves.
Might as well save your energy The Lady....their minds are made up.....please don't confuse them with facts! No, I understood exactly what you meant.....as did most people who aren't on their high horses trying to justify their addictions while pointing the finger at someone else's. NOR did I even remotely suggest smoking as a "dietary aide". How ridiculous.....just talking to hear one's own head rattle I suppose. Second hand smoke is a VOID issue as I'm not aware of ANY place where public smoking is still permitted, therefore now they're after making it illegal for a person to smoke in their own home. I think that quite a few smokers are TOO polite. I, for one, don't smoke in MY OWN home when I have non smoking guests. It's a simple courtesty that I wish to extend to anyone I care enough about to allow them through my door.
You ARE correct however when you point out that obesity is VOLUNTARY on a personal level that does create excessive health care costs which are then passed onto ALL of us. However, we cannot refuse to sit in a seat on an airplane with someone who is hanging 1/2 way over into OUR seat.....any more than we are permitted the same priviledge of deselecting "non smokers" from being permitted to email us.

Thanks to those who have remained ON TOPIC and have not pushed their own whiny agenda. LOL! Every time I start seriously thinking about stopping smoking....I run into some assinine ramblings like a few of the posts here and I think....OMG....are these people REALLY a group that I would want to be a part of!!!! LOL!
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 79
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/12/2008 8:33:55 PM
I'm someone who has been on both sides-

Smoked for 15 years, varying frequencies of a pack a month to a pack a day.

Quit 6 months ago, before my 35th birthday. Unbelievably hard process, unlike any sort of disciplined change I've ever made in my life.

I don't block smokers, but maybe I should. Not because I view them in any sort of negative light or that I believe the BS militant non-smokers spout about being poisoned by 2nd hand smoke. But because I never, ever want to be in a position where I have to quit again.

I would be seriously envious of a smoker's smoking, even though I vow to never pick it up again. But I know the temptation would be there BIG TIME. So it's best to limit temptation.

That being said, I would take a smoker anyday over some creep who wants to limit others' personal enjoyment (and with such holier-than-thou airs).
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 82
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/12/2008 8:57:40 PM
Not me. I said exactly the opposite. I agree with your perception of smokers as more laid back people, which is a great thing...but a conundrum for someone who knows her own weaknesses-to be around the types you relate to while refraining from succumbing to your "old flame."
 quietcowboy
Msg: 83
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/13/2008 9:47:36 AM
Health risk behind smoking
First thing I will say is I'm an nonsmoker(okay a cigar here and there with the boys).
The second thing I will say quantity of how much a person smokes is far more important than whether they smoke or not. This is often over looked. If you smoke a cigarette or two a day, your health risks will correlate better with nonsmokers than smokers. If you smoke around a pack or more a day, the health risk stat really are about you.

Smoking(quantity I think of 1 pack or more per day), increases your risk of lung cancer by a factor of seven, in other words you are 7 times as likely to get lung cancer than a non-smoker. But if lung cancer were the only risk from smoking, I say smoke all you want its probably not going to kill you - lung cancer is a pretty low risk. Smoking(1+ packs a day) more than doubles your risk of heart disease. This is the real risk and the real killer. Generally smokers pay more taxes than the average non-smoker, but due to heart disease they are at a higher risk of not collecting their vested interest(net plus for the nonsmoker).

Studies of second hand smoke effect on nonsmoker's health are at best nebulous, at worst self serving. The risk is down there in the noise floor of every day living. I personally don't like being around a lot of smoke, so I don't go to those places. The only law that I might support to change that might be one that establishes an air quality threshold, in other words its okay to smoke in an establishment long as they have done a reasonable job cleaning the air. Most smokers that I know would go for this type of law too.

As to dating a women that smoked, I only did that once. She really smoked around me, was insane about how often she brushed her teeth(OCD about), so smoking was never an issue for me with her. I don't and won't block smokers, but I hope to not date a heavy (1+packs a day) smoker.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >