Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 78
view profile
History
A word about smoking....Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

Just to clarify...I did not equate smoking to obesity with respect to their respective risks to others.

I was addressing the comment on the drain of health care resources caused by smokers. THAT can be compared to obesity....and all the other health problems people bring upon themselves.
Might as well save your energy The Lady....their minds are made up.....please don't confuse them with facts! No, I understood exactly what you meant.....as did most people who aren't on their high horses trying to justify their addictions while pointing the finger at someone else's. NOR did I even remotely suggest smoking as a "dietary aide". How ridiculous.....just talking to hear one's own head rattle I suppose. Second hand smoke is a VOID issue as I'm not aware of ANY place where public smoking is still permitted, therefore now they're after making it illegal for a person to smoke in their own home. I think that quite a few smokers are TOO polite. I, for one, don't smoke in MY OWN home when I have non smoking guests. It's a simple courtesty that I wish to extend to anyone I care enough about to allow them through my door.
You ARE correct however when you point out that obesity is VOLUNTARY on a personal level that does create excessive health care costs which are then passed onto ALL of us. However, we cannot refuse to sit in a seat on an airplane with someone who is hanging 1/2 way over into OUR seat.....any more than we are permitted the same priviledge of deselecting "non smokers" from being permitted to email us.

Thanks to those who have remained ON TOPIC and have not pushed their own whiny agenda. LOL! Every time I start seriously thinking about stopping smoking....I run into some assinine ramblings like a few of the posts here and I think....OMG....are these people REALLY a group that I would want to be a part of!!!! LOL!
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 79
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/12/2008 8:33:55 PM
I'm someone who has been on both sides-

Smoked for 15 years, varying frequencies of a pack a month to a pack a day.

Quit 6 months ago, before my 35th birthday. Unbelievably hard process, unlike any sort of disciplined change I've ever made in my life.

I don't block smokers, but maybe I should. Not because I view them in any sort of negative light or that I believe the BS militant non-smokers spout about being poisoned by 2nd hand smoke. But because I never, ever want to be in a position where I have to quit again.

I would be seriously envious of a smoker's smoking, even though I vow to never pick it up again. But I know the temptation would be there BIG TIME. So it's best to limit temptation.

That being said, I would take a smoker anyday over some creep who wants to limit others' personal enjoyment (and with such holier-than-thou airs).
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 82
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/12/2008 8:57:40 PM
Not me. I said exactly the opposite. I agree with your perception of smokers as more laid back people, which is a great thing...but a conundrum for someone who knows her own weaknesses-to be around the types you relate to while refraining from succumbing to your "old flame."
 quietcowboy
Msg: 83
view profile
History
A word about smoking....
Posted: 1/13/2008 9:47:36 AM
Health risk behind smoking
First thing I will say is I'm an nonsmoker(okay a cigar here and there with the boys).
The second thing I will say quantity of how much a person smokes is far more important than whether they smoke or not. This is often over looked. If you smoke a cigarette or two a day, your health risks will correlate better with nonsmokers than smokers. If you smoke around a pack or more a day, the health risk stat really are about you.

Smoking(quantity I think of 1 pack or more per day), increases your risk of lung cancer by a factor of seven, in other words you are 7 times as likely to get lung cancer than a non-smoker. But if lung cancer were the only risk from smoking, I say smoke all you want its probably not going to kill you - lung cancer is a pretty low risk. Smoking(1+ packs a day) more than doubles your risk of heart disease. This is the real risk and the real killer. Generally smokers pay more taxes than the average non-smoker, but due to heart disease they are at a higher risk of not collecting their vested interest(net plus for the nonsmoker).

Studies of second hand smoke effect on nonsmoker's health are at best nebulous, at worst self serving. The risk is down there in the noise floor of every day living. I personally don't like being around a lot of smoke, so I don't go to those places. The only law that I might support to change that might be one that establishes an air quality threshold, in other words its okay to smoke in an establishment long as they have done a reasonable job cleaning the air. Most smokers that I know would go for this type of law too.

As to dating a women that smoked, I only did that once. She really smoked around me, was insane about how often she brushed her teeth(OCD about), so smoking was never an issue for me with her. I don't and won't block smokers, but I hope to not date a heavy (1+packs a day) smoker.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >