Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you be willing to shorten your life, if it meant finding the lo      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 1
Would you be willing to shorten your life, if it meant finding the love of your life?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I just read an article where a very high percentage of people said they would be willing to shorten their lives by 5 years if it meant getting back to their idea weight. I can't even begin to imagine what the hell these people are smoking, but it got me thinking.

Would you be willing to lose years off the end of your life if it meant finding the perfect person for you and nothing but happiness for the rest of your life in the relationship department?

Think about it, no more worries about cheating spouses. No more mistrust, no more dates from hell. would that be worth a few years off the end of your life?
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 2
Would you be willing to shorten your life, if it meant finding the love of your life?
Posted: 1/16/2008 11:34:26 AM
How many years would I lose? Sure, it sounds worth it to me (who wants to live to be 100, anyway, which is prolly what I will end up being, given our family history).
 fancynanci
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Would you be willing to shorten your life, if it meant finding the love of your life?
Posted: 1/16/2008 11:46:51 AM
What an odd question. No. I wouldn't. I don't think you have to compromise like that.
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/16/2008 11:58:10 AM
"I'm a heavy smoker so i don't have that many years to negotiate with"

Funny how we do things like smoke and become heavy drug users, How many years off ones life does those things take? Athletes use steriods knowing it's going to shorten their lives just because they want to get to the top. See it's not really such an odd question when you think about it. People are making the choice everyday to shorten their lives for something they want today.
 kindapicky
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/16/2008 3:13:49 PM
Sure, why not if you are very happy.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 3:56:29 PM
I think I would. Sometimes I see a tragedy like one that occurred here a few years ago. Police officer was shot and killed. Was married to his high school sweetheart, couple was happy, really loved and liked each other. Two fairly young kids, I think the older one was around 10-12 and the younger was two to three years younger.

Despite the tragedy I thought to myself that most people are not that lucky. It is horrible that the man died so young, it was senseless, a bust that went wrong, but most people never know a love like that. To have loved and been loved so well is a blessing even if the time with the individual is cut short.

Hypotheticals are so nice. Yes I think I would. To find real happiness and just be content with someone, considering I plan on living for another 30-40 years, sounds much better than potentially being not necessarily miserable but without that kind of peace and joy, would not be worth the extra five years.

If I make it the 40 years, it is not necessarily like I would want to jump in front of a truck or anything but I can't imagine that it would matter that much whether I was 83 or 88. My grandmother was 95 when she died. Of course she would have wanted to see great grandchildren but by the time you are that old, nearly everyone you knew when you were a kid and many that you met later in life are all dead. You have lived your life.

Would be more interesting to discover at what point would someone be unwilling to trade. Given the life span of say 85 years, if you are willing to lose 5, would you be willing to lose 10 or 15 for similar happiness?

Twin Girl the OP didn't say a relationship that was blissful 100% of the time, but a person that one loved fully and well and was primarily happy.
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/16/2008 5:33:10 PM
Excellent post as usual Packagedeal..... One that i fall in line with 100 percent myself.
 thebevy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 5:50:08 PM
Quality vs Quantity~~Bingo!

Funny, the grandmas lived to the upper 80's. Parents, 72 and 75. There's maybe 30 years left, given genetics.

Dinner for one has been raised to an art form. Open box, peel film, microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir. Dinner down the road at Sandy Hook, with all those wonderful waterfront tables, pure joy! With someone...

Travel! Someone to hug if the dice table is hot. Visit the Adirondacks again. Or Maine.

Homebody! Fine! Afternoon poolside, Mel Brooks marathon on DVD, strip Scrabble. Dealer's choice!

Would love a dog, but would not be fair to the dog, gone 10.5 hours/day. Dang! We could both share the joy of letting "Roxy" out at 3am.

No desire to grow old with cats. My co-workers think (no, know!) I'm eccentric enough....

What good is 80 if you don't know who you are anymore? Sitting, drooling and waiting for the next planned slop in a home?

Quality wins.....
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/17/2008 4:14:50 AM
OP- Give up 5 years at the tail end of my life for a perfect relationship and a "happily ever after"? you effin kidding me ? I 'd go so far as to give up 25 years. absolutely."

I really can't see giving up 25 years of my life for anything but my kids, but to each his own i guess.
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2008 6:41:13 AM
This reminds me of a bit Bill Maher used to do, about how you pay for your vices (or pleasures, depending on your interpretation). Like people that like to party and have fun, but may not live as long. He used Sammy Davis Jr as an example and said, "Sure, he only lived to 60, but give me 60 Sammy kind of years and I'd be pretty happy."
 thebevy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2008 3:48:26 PM
Eas and happily~~

Excellent post to you both.

Eas, I understand your frustration on the work peeps not being able to drive you to the shop. One of the issues of living solo. I feel your pain!

My mattress needs flipping. Would do it myself if I could. Is a task for two with a king. Debating on asking neighbor or handyman to help.

Ahh, Sammy and The Rat Pack. Stardom came young. Then Frank and Dean headlining at the Sands in the 60's. Hug a president. Quality work, nightclub, stage and screen. One heck of a stage performer, "Sweet Charity" and "Stop the World".
His book "Hollywood in a Suitcase" is first rate.

Died at 64. Can still see his tilt of the hat in "Mr. Bojangles" to this day......
 swtcarolinej
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2008 7:24:38 PM
The belly said it best!!I say no...life is too precious to even think of losing any of it...
 Rain4Eva
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2008 3:03:49 AM
This reminds me of a movie. City of Angels, with Nicolas Cage, and Meg Ryan. He gave up being an angel to be with the woman he truly loved, so yes I think I could give 5 years. Won't spoil the movie for you, just go watch it.

~Anthony.
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/19/2008 4:57:56 AM
For me the answer to this question is rather easy, it's a huge YES and here is why.
I never want to live to the point where i am a burden to my love ones and is unable to take care of myself . I see these old people everyday just hanging on for years in wheel chairs , with all kinds of tubes hanging off them, can't even remember anything. When i get close to that point i no longer want to be here. So why would i not give up those years for the love of my life?.

As long as i am living my life i want to be here, if i am just hanging on and existing, Then i would want someone to sneak up on me with a baseball bat and put me out of my misery. The years at the end of ones life is usual not quality years, i will take a pass on those.
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/19/2008 8:24:45 AM
"ABSOLOTELY!! If i could have the love of my life... And KNOW that she would never leave me, never treat me bad, never cheat on me.... in a N.Y minute!!"

My thoughts exactly.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you be willing to shorten your life, if it meant finding the love of your life?