Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Animal Cruelty      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Animal CrueltyPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Need advice here. I work at a school as a maintenance supervisor. I am a contracted employee. Over the past few weeks I have noticed that a kindergarten teacher keeps a rabbit in her room in a cage. She leaves him there all weekend. Many times I have noticed the rabbit had no food or water. I take it upon myself to give the poor thing food and water. I have talked with another kindergarten teacher about this, and she usually defends the other teacher as having alot on her mind. I can tell she does not want to get involved. I don't want to get involved either as I am contracted and not a "real" employee like the teachers, and I don't know how it would sit with the Principal if I told him about this. Tonight I went and bought food for the rabbit as he was without for 2 days. Am I overeacting? I really do not know much about rabbits. The teacher seems like a nice lady but I cannot understand why she neglects this poor creature. Help?
 Desi1955
Msg: 2
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/19/2008 4:55:55 AM

I have a good friend, an elementary school teacher who, every spring acquires a dozen or so duck eggs, sets up a cage in her classroom and lets the grade 1 and 2 children watch the hatching and growth of the ducklets (is that the right word?) until the children leave school for summer vacation. Then she calls another friend with a farm that takes the ducks from her and puts them on his farm. She's done this every year for many years now.

I have a farm, and this happens to me every year. The problem is, the teacher never arranges it ahead of time. He knows my daughter is a sucker for cute little critters, so he gets her to talk me into keeping them....another bunch of hungry little mouths to feed (for some reason they never learn to fly and hang around all winter, quacking for food).

OP; I agree that you need to talk to the teacher. My daughter has a bunny (part of our vast zoo), and they do need food and water every day. There are water bottles and feeders that will last over a weekend, or even 3-4 days.
 crayonzz
Msg: 3
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/19/2008 6:07:29 AM
Rabitts are continuious grazers in the wild. HIgh metabolic rates means they need to eat and drink almost continually.
Did the critter have a water bottle. (If it did you will have seen it Trust me)

If not I'm surprised it didn't die of thirst.
 Desi1955
Msg: 4
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/19/2008 7:39:35 AM

I SHOULD HAVE...how heinous...have a baby play w/ an animal & then EAT it????

I'm not a vegan, but I can understand WHY people do it...maybe I should too....

If you eat meat, it hypocritical not to acknowledge WHERE that meat comes from. It's all too easy to close your mind and pretend that it was never alive and that it comes from the supermarket on a styrofoam tray. My kids play with the baby farm animals, fully aware that they are destined to be food; they accept it as "the way it is". If we eat meat, the best we can do is to make sure that meat animals have a good life and humane death.
 hbon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/19/2008 9:27:42 AM
OP
Express your concerns, discreetly, to the teacher involved. She obviously is not teaching by example when she shows this type of apathy. Continue to provide care and comfort for this creature. Jeopardizing your employment by ruffling someones feathers is admirable but we are all too familiar what happens to " whistle blowers "

This thread is certainly different. What does it have to do with dating, though? And why is it in Over 45?

These fora allow us an insight to personalities. What we post is indicative of character.
Don't confuse sensitivity with weakness

But knowing me, I will get another one at some point. Animals have feelings just like we do. They don't just need food and water, they need attention, too. I love watching the shows they do on the mountain gorillas who they are trying to teach language, too. That one mountain gorilla REMEMBERED his mother being killed in the jungle 15 years later!!!! And he got sad and had tears in his eyes!

I hope the link works. The program is scheduled to repeat on Sunday, January 20, 2008

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/cruelcamera/
 sj365
Msg: 6
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/19/2008 9:48:36 AM
Maybe be nice to the bunny & nice to the teacher at the same time.

Since you have already taken on the responsibility of caring for the lil bunny on week-ends (or whatever), maybe approach the teacher & volunteer for the job "officially"?

Maybe approach her & suggest she leave food in some agreed-upon place so you dont have to pay for the food though.

If she is truly as stressed or has lots on her mind, I would think this would be a kind way to help her AND the bunny out... a way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

*disclaimer* In no way do I advocate the actual killing of birds with stones or any other implements. No animals were harmed in the typing of this post.
 straykat9
Msg: 7
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/19/2008 11:04:49 AM
Speak up for the animals- they have no voice and rely on moral people to come to thier aid.
 countrygalatheart
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/19/2008 12:49:17 PM
Animals in zoos and rodeos are not starved and left without water!!!
Those animals have a great life!

This poor lil bunny was left without food and water over the weekend......hell of a big difference!

OP you are a kind person for looking after lil bunny.....and that's a good thing! If you can....talk to the teacher and maybe she can leave the food and ask you to feed it over the weekend....if that doesn't work then go to her supervisor and if that doesn't work then go to SPCA. Do the "right" thing!
 Rythmn
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/19/2008 1:16:19 PM
when i was in college (way back), i attempted to find homes for all the lab rats they were about to euthanize and the maintenance crew helped me. the head of the psych dept. also gave me the key to his office and told me to "do my thing"--he already knew i was responsible from my parents both at the college and i already had an office given to me to help another teacher who also saved animals.

so, to me you are not overreacting and i must tell you that most people will not find this strange, with an excuse for the teacher being harried. after all, most people eat meat.

i would agree with the above that you approach the teacher. when you do bring an additional water bottle and food dispenser, as well as some additional supplies. tell her you know how difficult it is being a teacher and how nowadays teachers have to purchase any additional educational supplies they need, with all the budget cuts. tell her you want to help and are concerned about the rabbit. plus, you recognize that in addition to animals many young children are often without food--so you don't want her to think that you ONLY care about animals. also tell her that if the rabbit becomes too much for her, that you would like to take it as a pet.

after you take the rabbit, if you don't want it, find a rabbit rescue group via your local vet. keep in mind that all vets do not treat rabbits so ask for a referral as to who does. rabbits make great pets and can be litter trained like cats.

thank you for your concern. you are going on my favorite list!!!!

ps i rescued a domestic rabbit which had gone wild on a farm i rented in nj and was quite sick. i am not sure that you can put a rabbit that was "bred" for being a pet, into the wild. that being said, i try to not create a demand for any creature that should be wild. i also don't create a demand for any "bred" dog. i just rescue what has already been bred and abandoned. if i were to insist upon a breed, i would really check out the breeder. many of them will kill any dog that may give the "line" a bad reputation or any puppy that is sick. to me, it's the same as breeding/domesticizing a pet that was once wild. that being said, i have seen many responsible owners of domesticated rabbits and dogs--they just don't think about the ramifications of the breeding industry. if i were to inherit a rabbit again, i might even be sure it was fixed. or at least investigate, in case it were to get out--like the one i rescued.
 RDtoo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/20/2008 12:08:58 AM
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I left the rabbit some food last night and stopped in today and noticed that the teacher had been there and brought food. As to speaking to her, I think she knows I am on to her as she seems to avoid me and when she does see me she looks like the kid who got caught stealing cookies. I cannot understand how an adult could do this kind of neglect and continue to do it. I really do not understand it. I am going to have to say something. By the way, yes, the rabbit does have a water bottle. I fill it often.

Friendlyldy, do not hesitate to get another animal at your age. Your local pound probably has alot of older animals that you could adopt that probably would not live 15 years.

To the person who wondered why this was posted in the over 45 forum. I happen to value the advice of people over 45 more than I do younger people. Although one or two responses will always seem like that of a juvenile, the advice here is usually the best.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/20/2008 4:50:42 AM
Did you ever hear of the SPCA?
There are laws for mistreating animals and they're better than laws for mistreating your spouse.
When my ex left me (cause I didn't have a job) she could have left the cat with me, they the SPCA could have had her arrested cause the cat could not have fed itself.
It didn't matter that I was practically comatose and had to be hospitalized when someone found me.
It's OK though, In the divorce she found out that it's the spouse that has the income that has to pay alimony and that all our belongings didn't belong to her.
The judge made her give me 1/2 the value of what we had while married and wanted her to give me alimony and I refused because it wasn't about money for me. So, he said I can't make you take the alimony but he did make her pay for the first year of my hospital stay!
 Ron9
Msg: 12
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/20/2008 5:50:39 AM
Someone may have already said this (did not real the other replies yet).

I would say (to the teacher).

Sometimes that rabbit seems to be out of water/food. Would it be okay with you - if I notice it - to give it some?

I am sure the teacher would (along with being reminded) approve of that.
 ny_lady_13601
Msg: 13
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/21/2008 2:56:59 PM
It used to be that if a classroom had a pet "mascot", the students would be allowed to take the pet home with them to care for for the weekend, the students takeing their turns if they were allowed. This way the animal is properly cared for over the weekends. This rabbit is purley being neglected and the teacher is to blame. If you can't confrton the teacher in what she's doing is wrong, then it's your responsibility to go over head and seek out the principal and voice your concern. The teacher is setting a bad example.
 chrylann
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/21/2008 4:43:07 PM
I call the local law enforcement the minute I spot animal cruelty. They don't need to know who you are. Animals are helpless without those of us who care. Report it.
 chrylann
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 1/24/2008 4:41:47 PM
Tramp, are you my dad in disguise? My dad raised rabbits when I was growing up. One of the mother rabbits died and left newborn baby rabbits. I bottle fed those rabbits. They grew up to be happy, healthy grown-up rabbits, until my dad had one sitting on the dinner table one night. GRRRRRRR
 WBFD125
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Animal Cruelty
Posted: 2/23/2008 1:32:16 PM
You can't set it free it's a house pet. You might as well just feed it to a fox or coyote right on the spot.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Animal Cruelty