Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 blonde chickie
Msg: 7
What was so great about Elvis PresleyPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have become fascinated by Elvis when I started to learn to play guitar when I was 15. I though he had a great voice and songs, he was and always great. And he is a true icon like The Beatles, Frankie who I am a fan of. True entertainers.
 DJMac
Msg: 8
view profile
History
What was so great about Elvis Presley
Posted: 1/22/2008 4:48:22 PM
Presley didnt invent rock and roll, he just helped bring it to the masses. If there hadnt been blues there would have been no Elvis Presley thats for sure.
 katemaynj
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/24/2008 6:59:56 PM
no elvis did not write the songs he was famous for. people like don robertson and
leiber and stoller were the composers. elvis was famous because he combined styles of music. he had a bluesy rockabilly feel to him that had never been done before.
he crossed musical lines.
 amiableamy25
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/25/2008 9:55:11 AM
The only reason I think Elvis is so popular still is because of Priscilla. She's kept his name around. We'll see what happens after she dies. I think the same goes for the Beatles. Once Paul and Ringo are dead, I'm not sure either (Beatles or Elvis) will be as talked about, especially after their generation of fans die off.

Albums are still a relatively new phenomenon. No one can tell who will have a huge legacy in 100 years to come.
 rupan777
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/26/2008 8:53:18 AM
One word:

Crossover
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2008 12:06:50 PM
I think Elvis and early Rock "n" Roll had its strongest effect on the youth who were around at the time of its creation. I've read no end of comments from Sixties musicians, testifying to the impact of hearing Elvis in their teenage years. As John Lennon says on the cover of his "Rock "n" Roll" album, "You should have been there."

I was born in 1958 so was too young to get the full effect of the mans' influence but as a young teen I appreciated the fine late 60's/ early 70's singles he made including "Always on My Mind" and "I Just Can't Help Believing", among others.

The crappy films he appeared in and his sad demise do nothing to detract from how great he was at his best.
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2008 2:21:09 PM
Chuck Berry has huge importance as a writer and creator of timeless licks but I think Elvis injected the much needed sex appeal factor. Compare him visually to Bill Haley f'rinstance...
 LauraPaige
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 9:45:45 PM
He was gorgeous!
and super talented...his voice is like honey
and he does a mean blues guitar
 blondblueyed
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/23/2008 10:52:56 PM
I think you have to take into consideration the time period of when Elvis had his fame. Rock and Roll was still in it’s infancy, he had an image of a good looking, nice southern boy, loved his mother but had an energy of “sex” when he performed. He also appealed to a wide age range similar to what has made most of the “American Idol’s” so popular today. He also crossed over a few genres, he could do a hip swinging rock song, a rousing ballad and a sensual love song and there never has been anyone that quite sounds like him. (other than the impersonators)

He is also a good example of the rise and fall of “fame”, at one point he was on top of the world, became addicted to the hype, attention and later dugs which ultimately led to his early death. All you have to do is watch any interview with Priscilla, even with divorcing him she never has anything really bad to say about him and has been solely responsible for keeping his legacy alive for his sake as well as for herself and Lisa-Marie.
 blondblueyed
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/26/2008 10:29:29 AM

We'll see what happens after she dies. I think the same goes for the Beatles. Once Paul and Ringo are dead, I'm not sure either (Beatles or Elvis) will be as talked about, especially after their generation of fans die off.

I don’t know being dead for a century or two hasn’t diminished a few names like Mozart or Beethoven and they probably were not even as "popular" in their own time as Elvis and The Beatles were during their heyday.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 5:39:16 PM
Why, his gyrating hips!

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >