Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DallasSBF
Msg: 123
Speed Dating for SeniorsPage 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I like the idea of speed dating. But I have never had a chance to do it.
 femaleandflirty
Msg: 125
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 9/16/2011 2:37:18 AM
OIh yeah... Speed dating from the dating sites. I had one that lasted about 10 seconds. I saw him at the coffee shop and sped right off....
 femaleandflirty
Msg: 126
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 9/16/2011 2:39:59 AM
Plenty still base their interest on looks I can tell you, no matter how old they are. Especially men...
The voice is very important too..So yes I can sum someone up in about three minutes and the connection is usually there or it isnt....Not to say that once you hook up that other things will dissuade you against going on with it, of course..
 landale57
Msg: 127
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 9/16/2011 1:41:55 PM
I've never done it but was offered the chance in my local area (Portland, OR) about a year ago. We must have a shortage of men in my 48-60 age group. Women were charged $25 but men were free. I still didn't go. The whole concept just sounds a bit desperate and impersonal in my view. Maybe it works for some.
 ExploringLife2Gether
Msg: 128
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:44:47 PM
I have yet to go to a speed dating event but I think the prospect is very appealing. I am attracted to women for different reasons than most men. While most guys are interested in the size of her tits or how pretty she is, I am interested in her communication style and intellect. Average looking and above is great. She doesn't have to be in the perfect body category. However, the minute she opens her mouth and starts talking, I can tell in sixty seconds if this woman is just someone I am going to **** and forget or she is someone worthy of respect and commitment. In my experience, there are very few well educated, well read, articulate women who can banter and dialogue in any meaningful manner. I liken communication with many women to playing tennis with a friend who has never held a racket. You hit the ball, they return over the fence. Play continues this way until balls must be retrieved. You can see the same thing in the workplace. There are few amazing women in the working world. Just stop and listen to women talk at work. 99% of what they talk about is total bullshit. There is no substance. There is no evidence of intelligent thought. When a rare woman comes on the scene at work and utters intelligent, thoughtful words, men notice and other women hate her.
 zippytwo
Msg: 129
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 9/20/2011 3:30:39 PM
Did it once....never again. I met a nice woman and we had a great conversation the men....not so much. One fellow sat down and actually said to me, "why is it when we marry you women you turn ugly?" Cheque please....over and out!
 angelwinz
Msg: 130
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 10/6/2011 1:48:33 PM
I went to my first speed dating event and was surprised at how many in my age group there were, both women and men. Our event had a mixer with a DJ and nice dance floor for afterwards, the price to get in was very nomial. They advertized that we would get to have 4-5 "mini" dates but I actually got to talk to 9 gentlemen. I think the time we got to spend with each person was about 5 minutes and I found it a lot fun. I for one would try it again.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 131
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 10/6/2011 6:20:21 PM
I only had one speed-dating experience (a free local event), and although there were no men in my age bracket, I would definitely do it again if the opportunity arose. It lets folks meet people we wouldn't otherwise get a chance to meet, and have a brief chat with them. Looks, height, etc. are not restrictions, as all the men meet all the women, unless the event is sorted by age.

ExploringLife2Gether, I, too, greatly value intelligence and the ability to discuss interesting topics and think outside-the-box. Those aren't attributes most men seek, from what I can determine. As well, I haven't found it all that common in male acquaintances or co-workers, any more than I have in women. They seem to have other priorities.

I should also point out that one can be articulate and able to engage in a stimulating conversation without being well educated or well read in a variety of topics. The two are not mutually exclusive. Other than the sciences, my 84-year-old mother can hold her own in any conversation I've seen her engage in with highly-educated (usually pompous) men. She only has a grade 5 formal education, but she is self-taught, and she has an excellent mind.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 132
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 10/6/2011 10:47:02 PM
...I went on something similiar a couple of months ago and I have to give kudos to the organizer for the way she had set it up. She arranged things so that there were approx 4 people seated at each table... a male/female mix and we had only 15 minutes to chat before we all had to move to the next table.
It was good in that it allowed for some excellent conversation and forced us to mingle with one another. I actually "bonded" (If you can do that in 15 mins) with one group and was a little disappointed that we had to cut short our lively conversation and move tables. Lol

Needless to say, I rather enjoyed myself and would attend another function like this on without hesitation...

...mae
 nativerock
Msg: 133
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 10/7/2011 5:51:17 AM
Never been to one of those invites and never will.. sounds like a meat market and I am vegan..

nativetock
 rearguard*2
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 10/7/2011 6:05:59 AM
^^^^^Well, native, you must admit its the ultimate RAW experience...
 andrena326
Msg: 135
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 10/7/2011 7:15:47 AM
I totally agree...it is nice to get to know a wee bit about a guy before you go meeting him...sometimes even then its not enough lol
 pretzelman60
Msg: 136
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:28:12 PM
A man of few words. If you don't have time to date, then you on't have time to date. Wait till you have time, then date. Give the other person the credit they deserve. Speed dating, no

JMO
 nativerock
Msg: 137
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 10/11/2011 6:09:11 AM

Well, native, you must admit its the ultimate RAW experience...

I heard the ultimate raw experience is delving into one of my raw desserts? Have the rest of the population got this wrong?

nativerock
 rearguard*2
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 10/11/2011 6:25:12 AM
Well, I am presuming (hoping? ) that you don't dessicate your male friends before enjoying their "companionship". Would that not make them more raw than say a pineapple-lemon coconut cookie? Perhaps the cookies would appeal more to the palette, I suppose, but definitely somewhat less raw than a naked man....:)
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 139
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 1/28/2012 1:47:43 PM
Personally, I'd rather see Speedo dating for seniors...if any one showed up in one, and actually looked good, then that would be an event worth attending.

Meeing men on POF is about as speedy as I would ever get.
 Fifi47
Msg: 140
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 1/28/2012 1:53:55 PM
Sounds good to me, maybe I will meet some men at speed dating for seniors in about 10 years. Sure haven't met many here. Wonder if any of the men are rascals who speed by on their Rascals?
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 141
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 2/1/2012 8:08:49 AM
Let's face it, we don't have the looks, hard body, and instant chemistry of our youth anymore. I have to really get to know someone's heart, mind and soul to be attracted to him. A 5-10 minute conversation tells me nothing more than the fact he has teeth, how he dresses, and if he smells good or not. I love older men but they better be ready to take the time to convince me they are the one I should want to spend my life with.
 nativerock
Msg: 142
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 2/1/2012 8:24:26 AM

Well, I am presuming (hoping? ) that you don't dessicate your male friends before enjoying their "companionship". Would that not make them more raw than say a pineapple-lemon coconut cookie? Perhaps the cookies would appeal more to the palette, I suppose, but definitely somewhat less raw than a naked man....:)

Well now am sure you would find a few that said I dried them out!! On the other hand one man made it through and I did get to enjoy some raw delights with him years ago...

He was into an adventure that he never had before..
 rec_diver
Msg: 143
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 2/1/2012 12:28:55 PM
Speed dating for seniors????

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Having done speed dating, I can tell you it is moderately stressful. You move from table to table, usually at about 5 minute intervals. That includes taking a minute to write down your thoughts abut the person you just spoke to during a rushed conversation.

Can you imagine a room full of old folks, some with canes, walkers, or even wheelchairs? Some of them are lugging around oxygen bottles too.

Seniors have shaky hands, poor memories and cognitive skills, so they gotta juggle note taking with keeping it moving at a good pace.

The stress of trying to keep up could easily lead to heart attack or stroke.

I'm picturing the start of a promising dating session ending with flashing lights, ambulances all over the place and paramedics rushing to triage the most critical patients.

Not such a good idea on the face of it.

Let's just stick with Bingo.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 144
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 2/2/2012 12:04:06 PM

Can you imagine a room full of old folks, some with canes, walkers, or even wheelchairs? Some of them are lugging around oxygen bottles too.

LOL...the oxygen tanks were a bit much!
But thanks for my laugh out loud moment.....what a vision.

I see nothing wrong with speed dating...and would give it a go if the opportunity came up!
 rec_diver
Msg: 145
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 2/2/2012 12:15:53 PM
I forgot to mention that seniors are often hard of hearing. They'd never hear the bell.

So add to the pandemonium the following scenario:

"Ding Ding, please proceed to next table!"

"Sir, you need to get up and go to the next table!"

"Heh? What did you say boy, my hearing aids on the fritz!"

"Sir GO TO THE NEXT TABLE!"

"Where am I and why am I here and why do I suddenly smell like urine?"

"Sir don't forget your teeth!"
 PoetArtist
Msg: 146
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 3/1/2012 12:32:44 PM
I'm too old for speed dating.

I'd rather sit down for a nice quality chat and get to know a woman. If we need to do it in a group setting, that's fine.
 AJ2517
Msg: 147
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 3/1/2012 1:29:58 PM
I think speed dating is great!....Yes, you don't get a lot of info but you get away from the damn screen on the computer and put yourself out there with no worries about meeting if you don't want to....If there is a big crowd, that obviously is great also...It's a start, no obligation and you may meet that special woman!
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 148
Speed Dating for Seniors
Posted: 3/1/2012 3:50:43 PM
I attended several speed dating sessions while I was in my sixties. They were worthwhile and I met several ladies I dated.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >