Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oggers
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Is British law fundamentally flawed??Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
So you have a guy with previous for burgalry, convicted etc , accused (wrongly) of another break in . By disclosing this to the jury, it immediately sways their opinion to find him guilty - wrongly . Happy with that?

So, if you changed it , yes , you would have more guilty people found "guilty" ..... but you would also have a lot more innocent people wrongly found "guilty" too.

IMO its about right at the mo.

edit

The law now means that if you have previous convictions that are related to your present case, IE previous theft convictions and you are on trial for theft then they are revealed

I didnt know that - to me that seems wrong.
 stevencl
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Is British law fundamentally flawed??
Posted: 1/27/2008 2:18:25 PM
I think I should point out that there is no such thing as British Law. The legal system in Scotland is very different to that of England. Most laws up here are covered under common law . For further information go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_law
 bootielicious
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Is British law fundamentally flawed??
Posted: 1/27/2008 4:03:47 PM
Very often crimes never do get a resolution as the offender is going on holiday or they are asked to go to the station and make a statement at their convenience etc. The Police are far too over stretched to chase them up and the months go by and the victim loses the anger and decide to opt for an easy life and leave it.

Or maybe there was no evidence, no cctv, the offenders wear gloves, they know the system and the law better than anyone and how to abuse it. They may have a string of offences that have never got any where and continue because they can.

I think if the government spent a bit more money on Policing our Country instead of relying on cameras it would improve the current situation and 'yob culture'. Perhaps if Police Stations were opened up in the areas where they have been closed or are manned properly it would be better and if they got paid a decent wage for a job that is becoming increasingly difficult due to lack of support and paperwork.

That is just my opinion mind and my apologies if I've gone off on a tangent.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >