Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Yet another damn reason why i hate dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justme1124
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Yet another damn reason why i hate datingPage 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
wow,what a dud eh velvet? ,total headcase,,this would have been funny : ' hey,I got your coffee,why don't YOU cover the tip,what are yaa,cheap?' lol
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 15
Yet another damn reason why i hate dating
Posted: 1/29/2008 12:15:08 AM
"You're supposed to put money IN there? Crap, no wonder i get those funny looks when i take it out instead."

Nice to know i am not the only one seeing that tip cup as going a little overboard.
 asteliapuff39
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/29/2008 2:25:25 AM
I think a lot of people do miss something here that I noticed :)
Its nice that you "gave" someone an opportunity even though you didnt feel like it at first, your gut feeling this time was correct... too bad she missed out on something for a stupid little tip... but at least you "gave" her the opportunity!!
with 4 dollar coffee? they can afford for their own tip!
 yellowelk
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2008 3:25:15 AM
Weaslly as you might be...I totally agree..TIPPing is for when service or Product are beyond your expectations,,a sevirce person going beyond or above what is thier reqired level of preformance.. The woman at the Starbucks..Umm I would have put a twenty on the table told her 15 was for her time..5 was her tip, now get lost!!! Oh so cruel I am..tsk
 SapphirePoet
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2008 4:06:45 AM
The moral of the story is........
Don't let someone pushy talk you into doing something you didn't really want to do....or did you?
You went, so you must have some sort of agenda in the first place.
Whatever the reason you went, the good thing is that you found out right away she was a rude and flaky person.

One of my very good friends is in college and works at Starbucks. She makes just a bit above minimum wage even though she went through training to become a Barista. I asked her about the tip cup and she told me that they received tips all the time anyway and management wanted to spread the wealth around to all who worked that night so they split it up between all of them. It is just a means to show your appreciation of EXEMPLARY service. It is not expected nor required. She did tell me that sometimes those tips were her gas money home that night so you people making good money and buying expensive coffee should show some love when you get good service with a great attitude.
Back in the day I used to be a waitress and we had this one guy who came in every morning for just coffee and he would leave a $5 tip every time. Needless to say we used to fight over who got to wait on him. LOL!

TC
Deb
 supersnuggle
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/29/2008 5:43:51 PM
Anyone who is crazy enough to go to Starbucks and pay five bucks for about 50 cents worth of coffee, is probably crazy enough to tip for it too.
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2008 6:51:05 PM
I'm an excellent tipper at restaurants, but counter service? That's silly. I do pop in some change in the jar occassionally, but I don't think this should be expected. They don't even bring the cup to your table at Starbucks, and god forbid you try and pick up your coffee at the wrong counter...I once had a Starbucks person make my coffee in front of me (with no one else in line, no one else behind the counter), and actually insist I meet her over at the other counter, and she then walked over to the other counter to hand me the coffee. No joke.
 cenettix
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/29/2008 6:55:09 PM
dude..you're cheap....
 TxSippiGal
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2008 7:53:08 PM
Yall are talking about tipping.. I wanna know why this woman had the nerve to ask for his MSN id then sorta finnagle (sp) her way into getting him to meet her.. That is so manipulative to me.. sheesh.. She sounds like a real piece of work.. and of course to top it all off.. the tip stuff is plainly strange.. I woulda tipped if a guy bought me a latte which I think was very nice of you.. but I wouldn't have expected him to tip cuz I had taken care of it.. and if I was gonna tip I wouldn't have put a few coins in either.
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/30/2008 6:59:03 AM
"TIP= To Insure Promptness"

Please give me a bloody break. So do i have to tip the guy that changes the oil in my car?. Do i tip the person at the drive through window?. What about the person ringing up my groceries, Do they get a tip?. If i am using your logic, everyone in the service industry should be tipped. Which is just utterly silly.
 AngryRay
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/9/2008 9:49:40 PM
It's perfectly OK for her to feel that she should tip for coffee, if she wants to. Maybe she's a former coffee slinger who was unable to save her town's cat orphanage, because she didn't earn enough in tips.

But by FAR the proper way for her to express her feelings about this would have been to say "Oh, you paid for the coffee? Let me get the tip." OR, if she wanted to judge your generousity to coffee pourers, could have said "No, I'LL pay for the coffee, after all, I invited you out. But you can get the tip..."

Psycho Chicks. Can't live with 'em;
can't keep them chained naked in the crawlspace to use as sex slaves.

--Ray
 mm143
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:06:21 PM
ur first mistake was going out for coffee with her lol
 spencer192
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2008 5:24:28 AM
I love dating & meeting people - the interesting thing is that you can never be totally sure about what will happen. I met so many great ladies with a lot of stories to tell - mostly good ones.....

Have fun

Spencer
 caesar0002
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/27/2008 5:45:59 AM
She just wanted to be the victom somehow. That is why she didnt wait till the end of lunch to see if you tip or not. You should tip but wait till you leave and if they want a tip they should bring it to your table and serve you not serve you at the counter. Its not a bartender. She just wanted to be the victom of a cheap date. This woman will never be happy. Nomatter what you do she will raise the bar and it wont be good enough.
 ________
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/27/2008 5:48:23 AM
A lot of people that have been doing the "dating dance" for an extended period -- perhaps their whole adult lifetime have developed a conditioned response to seek and destroy the new prospect as a viable partner --much like any acquired habit or reflex --- and at a level outside of conscious consideration or analysis. They (we...?) become ever-vigilant for the deal breaker -- the show-stopper... Okay I'll stop with the clique phases -- that's no-fly zone for me anyway.
 outlawtomboy
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/27/2008 6:09:22 AM
not a reason to hate dating, mr velvet.

you graciously met her even tho you had a feeling you weren't interested. the meet didn't go well RATHER QUICKLY and you learned your first instinct was correct. just chalk that one up as a fish to throw back!
 caesar0002
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/27/2008 7:09:06 AM
LOL. He said chirped in. Are you saying women are like parakeets with bird brains?
 Vannili
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2008 5:37:47 PM
I don't tip these people that made my coffee at starbuck or subway sandwiches.. I think your lady date is just trying to be cute by giving you a funny look and rolling her eyes in your direction. She should not open her purse and comment about not tipping, it shows that she lack good manners.
 Vannili
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 11:14:31 AM
The underline issues here ,is op's date has no right to humilate him for not putting some coins in the can that was near the cash register it is his personal decision to give a tip or not. Too bad it is her losed ,if she managed her mouth and attitude of being uppery and righteous she could have a nice time with the op. Perhaps the op is even a good catch.
 Wildman46
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/6/2008 11:29:28 AM
"Perhaps the Op is even a good catch"

PERHAPS what do you mean PERHAPS , of course I'm a great catch.
 Riverkilt
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2008 10:49:59 PM
Ain't it sad when they start making that list of all your shortcomings the moment they meet you?
 aliveone1
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2008 7:30:15 PM
I frequent coffee shops. In upscale coffee shops where it is considered an artform for them to get you incredibly complicated drink right, yes, I definately tip. More, if it actually tastes the way that it is supposed to. And the places that I frequent, they usually have my drink made to perfection before I even get to the counter. They even know my name!

I don't tip if I am forced to go to Dunkin' Donuts where all they have to do is push one button and the drink comes out tasting like crap! Especially since the people working there, for whatever reason, seem to all be inbred, missing teeth, and rude.

Sorry, I'm a coffee snob. But, it's soooo true!
 aliveone1
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2008 7:49:30 PM
It is common knowledge and courtesy to tip a barista. You would tip a bartender, or at least I hope you would...right? I think your date was trying to clue you in to a little tid bit of etiquette that you were not aware of. I hope you don't make that mistake again! It is very insulting, and I have to admit that I would have been a little embarrassed if I were her. I am sure that I would have done the same thing by telling you. Except, I'm a little different than her.... if I had invited you, especially since you were somewhat reluctant to come in the first place, I would have paid.
 aliveone1
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2008 8:44:15 PM
Okay, granted, Starbucks is a grey area because it is a chain. But, I have to say that I am SHOCKED at the lack of etiquette!!! And HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY disgusted by the general consensus here! Are you all a bunch of rednecks?
 evrybdy
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2008 6:10:19 PM
Well, I like to tip when it comes to these service positions, and even when there isn't a cup, if I think, "job well done!" I am going to find a way to brighten their day as they did mine. I certainly would tip for a fancy cup of coffee as like bartenders they are creating a drink more than just pouring it. (heck, I tipped a dollar for each water I got at the bar since I don't drink but went with friends and well, I get thirsty.lol This wasn't bottled water, but just a button and some ice, but I knew to tip the guy all the same) I was a barrista waaaay back in the day (ok, early 90's.lol) and it's true you share the tips between you and it's often not much, but it's nice to have that little extra at the end of the day. Trust me, working a coffee job is stressful when your main customers are in so need of a caffeine fix they might strangle you if you don't get it right!

That being said, I think this woman was way out of line. Not only for inviting herself to hang out with him when he didn't have interest in it, but also since she did the inviting, not paying for the damn coffees herself! That is what was rude! If I had been her, and trust me, if a guy doesn't want to get to know me, I wouldn't force him to add me to anything, or meet me, but I would most definitely buy the drinks and pay an according tip. The least I could do for him going out of his way to meet with me. So, yeah, she doesn't deserve any more of your time, for being so controlling and to lecture someone on rudeness when basically, she's the expert.lol

Someone needs to give her a tip on leaving someone alone when they don't have any interest in you!

M
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Yet another damn reason why i hate dating