Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Escalating Violence in todays youth.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Temptation50
Msg: 25
Escalating Violence in todays youth.Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It is getting pretty scarey all right, youngins doing the most bizzare things....
Is it video games?
Media?
Crappy parents?
Probably all have some blame attatched, it's worse when these kids read about the super light sentence the ''axe attack'' kids receieved, not what anyone would really call much of a deterent.
 scottmcfish
Msg: 26
Escalating Violence in todays youth.
Posted: 9/22/2010 8:40:47 PM

There are numerous studies done on the damage violent games can cause to young minds... yes they can and do desensitize children.
- tizzabelle

By chance could you provide some more information on these studies? I would like to give them a look over.

I'm under the impression that rates of violent crime are at fairly low levels at the moment, so I would have to disagree with this notion that things have been getting worse and worse.

In my personal experience, the most violent people I've know have been the people who haven't played video games much. Part of this could be that the kids who's parents can afford the latest and greatest video games are generally quite well off socioeconomically and are statistically unlikely to be violence prone.
 tizzabelle
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2010 11:19:23 PM
I don't really have specific studies to reference but, when my youngest was entering the school system 5-6 years ago; it was a major point of focus. They have kindergarten clinics here at the health unit and, there were several pamphlets handed out advising against violent games for kids.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=child+development+and+video+games
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2010 4:23:42 PM

he laws need to change, we need stricter laws concerning gangs and weapons, and the ability to go after the adults that profit from child crimes.

If I had a dime for every time someone suggested stricter laws , harsher sentences, bring back the death penalty yadda yadda yadda I'd be traveling the world!

Unfortunately people believe this is the way to solve these issues. Not only does it NOT work it increases taxes.
You have a political party that says vote us in and we will bring in longer sentences etc although the evidence suggests that would be futile. The public, having no clue about the system, vote that party in and " viola", here we are demanding even harsher penalties for criminal behavior in which the penalties we have are already not deterring! Brilliant!

Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2010 4:30:01 PM
As for gangs,that for sure is a whole other ball game for sure.

My opinion, no jail time, what so ever. Boot camps, other forms of survival skills other then street smarts. Wipe the criminal records. They can't move forward with criminal records. What kind of job can you get with a record. Not much therefore you resort back to illegal activities to survive, therefore the record has to go.

These are just ideas to start some kind of change. We can't keep shutting down schools and other social institutions to build Walmarts and penitentiaries!
 Walts
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/1/2010 5:11:52 PM
^^^^^ We can start neutering the phucktards that walk around breeding and raising young ones which have turned into what has been generated. It's called going to the source. Somewhere along the line this type of behavour has been installed into these minds. Any ideas where??????

It's not even hard to pick em out while they are still young. Hell, I started pointing it out to some parents over 20 years ago. I wish I was wrong at least half the time,,,problem was,,,,I wasn't. I grew up in a nasty enviroment, some very tough times, but at no time did I ever hear of an incident like the Delta child BEATEN the past week. NEVER. We have to ask what the hell is going on out there, and where are these types of "ideas" coming from??????
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2010 2:01:58 AM
but at no time did I ever hear of an incident like the Delta child BEATEN the past week.

Hells Angels showed up at the funeral.
gangs, drugs and territory. Parents addicted to drugs play a big role in leading children to gangs. This is where we begin. ;)

Except for the Hells Angels. They scare me! :S
 LostRanger7
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/2/2010 11:18:03 AM
As much as it may ruffle the feathers, could it also be to the escalting rise in broken families. OUCH! Money rules this world and unfortunatly both parents working allows for crap to seep into the horomone raging youth. Just a thought. Single parenthood as tough as it is makes for harder control. Do you know where your kids are is a question that most would probably have a tough time answering truthfully. OUCH! Is it party over parenthood in a very messed up society? OUCH
Guess the truth does hurt sometimes. OUCH!
 sageb1
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2010 12:29:03 PM
IMHO we are must more aware of it.

Even so, it is doubtful that graphic violence in video games is the sole cause, or even that violent movies are totally at fault.

While these factors may be included as influences, it actually is a series of weak choices today's youth make each and every day.

The risk of social isolation is one strong causal factor in the escalating violence in today's youth. Another factor is the casual recreational use of alcohol and/or drugs, which is much more prevalent than it was 20-30 years ago.

So what kind of strong choices could be made? The development of a sound work ethic goes a long way to creating a balanced lifestyle consisting of work and leisure. All that takes is persistence and exercising self-control.
 Randy_Rw
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/12/2010 11:22:37 PM
All those who point the finger at violent forms of entertainment are naive. It's the parents' responsibility to communicate with their kids and make the difference. I was tormented in high school by all these little brats. Constant mental, physical even sexual abuse and persisting humiliation and I swear if it wasn't for heavy metal I would have bought a gun and slaughtered those **stard kids. I already had to put up with an alcoholic step father at home, I would not come out of my room except to eat and go to the bathroom. Had I no outlet to expel negative energy I would have snapped. In the end, I came out on top. It's just too bad my grades suffered immensely.
 DameWrite
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2010 7:46:39 PM
When both parents have to work, or one's not around...who's minding the children? Blame the powers that be $$$!
 HORSELADY3
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2010 11:47:46 AM
Hmmm well I remember when parent used to blame Ozzy or metal music.....I dont think its that different. Other than the fact that we have the internet and get to hear more stories. It was a smaller world, and probably more sheltered but Im sure it was happening and we just were'nt as aware of it.
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2010 5:16:23 AM

All those who point the finger at violent forms of entertainment are naive.

Too many people are actually naive. Here in Canada, violent crimes committed by youth is actually going down however the public is demanding tougher sentences for a 'behavior' that isn't happening!

Canadians are actually demanding a 'tough on crime' approach when they fail to look at the facts! But that's the Harper clan for ya!

tizzabelle
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2010 6:49:23 PM
Maybe overall the amount is going down but, I think the severity of the crimes is getting worse.
I do not think there is any one factor either. It is a combination of things from lack of parenting to being exposed to things well beyond their years... including too much graphic violence in games/movies etc.
 Walts
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/17/2010 5:32:24 AM

Here in Canada, violent crimes committed by youth is actually going down however the public is demanding tougher sentences for a 'behavior' that isn't happening!

Really???? Got a link to show this?????? I'm betting a lot has to do with "not getting caught",,,,,,or if numbers are even tallied when the age is below 16?????? Ya know,,,to protect those "young ones". I know when I was young, I never had to face some of the stuff that is going on now with the young ones, and I grew up in a not so nice city. Guns, at the time, where a rare occurence. Ummmm,,,,guns today, are basic attire for some of the little shiats. You don't get a black eye from a gun.
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2010 4:18:31 PM

Really???? Got a link to show this??????

I most certainly do! :)

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/subject-sujet/result-resultat.action?pid=20000&id=20002&lang=eng&type=ARRAY&sortType=3&pageNum=1

The public wants to get tougher on a behavior that's not happening and are willing to spend more taxes for it!

one 17 yr old we know.. was in jail.. got out on probation... 3 weeks later got busted beating up old ladies & stealing their stuff..

Jail is not a deterrent! It never has been! Yet people want to lengthen their sentences thinking "If 3 weeks didn't work maybe 6 weeks will!
Brilliant!

Exctasy ( sp? ) and cocain are the teens choice of drug today & i can name at least 5 dealers in ONE high school who sell this at school. There is NO locker checks, no pat downs... HUGE problem.

Of course there is no pat downs and locker checks. It's a violation of their privacy. Even kids are protected by the Constitution!
We have a 'get tough on drugs' approach, get tough on crime approach get tough on terrorism approach.

Which one is working? Or right! None of them!

It's nothing but sloganism.

Walts
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/19/2010 4:35:05 PM

I most certainly do! :)

Almost,,,except the year 2009 and 2010,,,not included in the first couple,,,,and the latest year in the rest ,,,,,,year 2000.

We are talking "today".

We are also taking violence,,,,NOT court appearances,charges and whatever else that they can come up that can show "numbers". A lot of theses little shiats don't even see a cop let alone a judge.

Sooooo,,,,in other words,,,,YOUR stats could actually be proving somebody else's point,,,,,maybe????? Just think about it for a minute.
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2010 1:33:21 AM

Almost,,,except the year 2009 and 2010,,,not included in the first couple,,,,and the latest year in the rest ,,,,,,year 2000.

We are talking "today".

I don't believe those stats are out yet!

We are also taking violence,,,,NOT court appearances,charges

They are directly related!
We can't just say we see the violence yet have no paper trail to back our arguments.

A lot of theses little shiats don't even see a cop let alone a judge.

Where are you getting this information from?
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2010 1:39:09 AM
However!!!!

I think there is an issue with the entitlement that some of these kids have these days! If a parent spanked a child some would see that as child abuse and that's a joke!
There is a fine line between discipline and child abuse and I think society has played a role in attempting to protect children form heinous child abuse but may have gone too far and this has resulted with a generation of misfits who get no discipline due to parents having a fear of having a 'child abuser' label or having Child protective Services called in.
 Walts
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/21/2010 5:21:34 AM

I don't believe those stats are out yet!

And they never will be in most of the stats that you gave me. They stopped giving them out in 2000,,,,,that would be 10 years ago.

They are directly related!
We can't just say we see the violence yet have no paper trail to back our arguments.

Like a politician, you are starting to use tools(or parts thereof) for your own use, and dimissing others,,,for the same purpose. They are NOT directly related. Partially,,,yes,,,,directly,,,,no. If a person actually does an act, yet does not get caught(or they volunteer their participation) how does anyone know if it happens, other than the record of the "act"????? Acts of violence does not always equal CHARGES IN THE COURTS. Ya only get the charges if the person actually gets "caught". They are not always "caught".
So,,,,like politicians, if you don't listen to the general public,,,,ya know, the ones that actually live an "average" life, in the real world,etc. you are not "in touch" with what is really going on. A person in Ottawa doesn't have a clue what is going on here in Delta/Surrey,,,,where we have a culture who have admitted they don't know how to explain to their young on what they should or shouldn't be doing out there in the "real" world.So these young ones become members of gangs, getting caught up in violence and a few other things that their parents have never been exposed to. So,,,YES you can SAY there is more violence,if you are actually EXPERINCING it. Here in the lowermainland we are EXPERINCING it. Kids pulling out guns and shooting each other,,,because that's the tools they have to solve things.
Using "stats" or "surveys" alone to make decisions/laws/whatever is retarded and
a s s backwards. But, it's being done more and more,,,because to "keep in touch", is a lot of work. The biggest failure of law making is that the laws themselves are not made for members of the general public. They are made for and by the politician and lawyer. That was NOT always the case. Laws now protect everyone BUT the general public.
We here in BC are now dealing with a silly drinking law that is assinine at best. Of course the politicians can say they are getting "tougher" to groups like MADD etc, when in fact it doesn't keep the DRUNK drivers off the road at all. Keeps the members of the general public that have a beer or a glass of wine with their meal, and understand the consequences of being "caught", off the road, out of restaraunts,etc though.
Well, that's enough ranting from an old man on a Sunday morn.
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2010 4:33:02 PM
[ quote] They stopped giving them out in 2000,,,,,that would be 10 years ago.

uuhhh no!
They go from 2008/2009. Not having any stats past 2000 would defeat the whole purpose of Statistics Canada! You do know that right?

no. If a person actually does an act, yet does not get caught(or they volunteer their participation) how does anyone know if it happens, other than the record of the "act"?????

Do you have any evidence of this?
Or are you just suggesting your police force is a joke and the politicians that have been voted in are even more thick?

Start providing me with some sources here pal!
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2010 4:35:15 PM

LOL maybe if the teachers /councelors/ and school cops kept their eyes & ears open

Maybe we should start putting the responsibility back on the shoulders of the parents on not the rest of society!
 Walts
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/25/2010 5:32:56 PM

uuhhh no!
They go from 2008/2009. Not having any stats past 2000 would defeat the whole purpose of Statistics Canada! You do know that right?

Go reread the stats YOU provided. I was mistaken,,,,,ONLY ONE set of stats given counted past the year 2000,,,,,"average counts of young persons in correctional services" is actually "close" to up to date,,,the year 2008. Meaning,,,they are ONLY counting the young ones that are ACTUALLY in a correctional service somewhere in this country. Not even the ones convicted.Not the ones found not guilty. Just the ones that are in a correctional service.BIG FREAKING DIFFERENCE. Doesn't count the violent ACTS that actually happened!!!!!!!

The rest of the numbers,,,,are all only counted up to the year 2000. Go reread please,,,your "evidence".
You are kidding about what Stats Canada does and doesn't do right???? They collect numbers,,,and only the numbers that they collect are used. Ever been asked to do a survey????? Do you answer every survey???? Stats are only as good as the numbers collected,,,and stats Canada has proven in the past they can't do the job they wish,,,even when they spend thousands(millions???) to try. Census anyone?????

Do you have any evidence of this?
Or are you just suggesting your police force is a joke

What are you talking about????? It's not the police,,,it's the system. At one time,,,,there was a young offenders act,,,,one of which "hid" the little shiats till they reached a certain age(18???? though I believe they have now dropped it to 16????). Talk to an officer or two,,,and they can tell you they have examples of repeat offenders,,,,by name,number and street address. Nothing they can do,,,,if they play by the bleeding hearts "rules".
I guess what you are looking for is "concrete" evidence???? Something that you can READ instead of SEE????? That would be what you define as evidence????? Not the young lady that got raped by a group,,,while another group watched???? They weren't a bunch of old farts hanging around,,,they were high school students. I think ONE charge has happened. ONE!!!!! Even though they have video tape. Even though hundreds of other "young" people were there. The "stuff" that was coming out of the student's mouths after the fact almost made me puke,,,,pointing towards the victim as the reason for it all. Of course,,,you can't see that on a piece of paper.You also didn't see "on paper or in your STATS" the person that decided to blast a mother in the head while she drove her car with a youngster sitting in the back seat,did you???? And you say you're afraid of the Angels??????

Maybe we should start putting the responsibility back on the shoulders of the parents on not the rest of society!

Orrrrrr we,as a society,,,quite treating the little shiats with kid's gloves when they decide to act grownup doing goofy things. Like,,,,maybe,,,,just take the children away from these so-called "parents" and reteach them a thing or two about responsibility, accountability,,,and the golden rule?????? Of course,,,,we would hear whining then about how the parents' rights are being abused,,,,correct????
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 9:24:54 AM

We are also taking violence,,,,NOT court appearances,charges and whatever else that they can come up that can show "numbers". A lot of theses little shiats don't even see a cop let alone a judge.

Violent crimes such as what? Murder? Rape? Robbery?
If these crimes go unreported (which they don't)then the problem is within your particular jurisdiction and the way the Chief of Police is running the show, not to mention the mayor!
 tizzabelle
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 9:31:10 AM
:/ ain't that the truth

Edit: once in awhile though, I think it is the victims not coming forward.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Escalating Violence in todays youth.