Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Debyduz_
Msg: 116
Over 50 with younger kids?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Hope 49 counts. I have 5 children 3 at home. They are 6, 9, 10, 19 and 32. 6, 9, and 19 are adopted. I didn't expect to be dating again at this age. It sucks, but my heart made the choice to bring more children into our family. They truly were meant to be with us. Guys my age are done with little kids. Younger guys want their own kids. Most guys that have custody of their kids seem to have a bad attitude. They think they are better parents then women. So I steer clear of them.

I seen a show where a woman with 14 children found a man and got married. So I am not giving up. I am sure there are men out there who have room in their hearts for women and their children. I know that I would love any man's child/children as much as I love my own. I know not everyone is wired that way.

The only time it gets me down is when we are out at amusement parks and I see the whole families together. I really miss that. Sadly though the ex had to go and our life is better without him. I ended up adopting the last 2 as a single mom. I would adopt more children if I had the means to take care of them. Too many children don't have a home or family.

I would be the crazy kid lady instead of the crazy cat lady.
 Doc_Sage
Msg: 120
Over 50 with younger kids?
Posted: 6/29/2012 5:18:00 PM
I am 58 and my only son is 30+ and living on his own.

So...Will I date a lady with kids at home? Certainly. Why not? It may limit some activities. So what.
If love is present, we will find a way to make it work.

This lead to another question; I still work full time. Should I refrain from dating someone who is retired?

Doc Sage
 spot4username
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/29/2012 5:42:33 PM

Most of the men I meet around my age have children who are grown and seem to find my situation to be a deterrent to getting to know me.

I find myself in the opposite situation. A lot. My sons are 17, 21 and 23. The youngest will be a SR this year and the other two have graduated from college. My sons rarely need me for true "mom" stuff.

I keep meeting men who are my age and older who I think would be a great fit. We will talk about our children and they will mention their children who are close in age or older than mine and then....

their toddlers or preschoolers. Yikes. I seem to be surrounded by men who divorced and then married younger women who they had children with and now they are divorced again.

I love being a mother more than anything. I was class mom, team mom, coach, fundraising goddess, go to cookie baker, car pool driver, field trip chaperon, substitute teacher, etc. I really don't want to do those things again as the mother or step mother and I know that I would never be able to be the detached sort. I wouldn't be able to help myself.

So - OP (and all those after her since this thread is ancient) I understand a man or woman not wanting to be in that position again.
 likkers69
Msg: 122
Posted: 6/30/2012 11:39:01 AM
And I also have the same problem but obviously from a mans point of view I too have younger children and any woman I have spoken to seem to disappear as soon as I mention this. Help and advice please
 Aura1shine
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/24/2012 12:32:40 AM
^^^^^^My suggestion to your post is finding a single mom whom has the children the same or close to yours children age for dating because of similarity will help you both through the ups and downs of raising them while rebuilding a new life together as a separate one or combining to be one.
 SONNI100
Msg: 125
Posted: 7/24/2012 9:11:46 AM
Interesting to read everyone's situation. My sons are 40 and 34.....8 grandsons from 5-15..
I have had no children at home since I was 43. I admit I was very surprised when I started dating again that so many men in their 5os and 60s had fairly young children at home. It isn't a situation I would deliberately walk into....
 Funfiftysomething
Msg: 130
Posted: 7/27/2012 7:06:23 PM
Wow this is so interesting. I had no idea so many over 50 have young children at home. I saw a profile of a man my age of 54 and he has a 1 yr old. I feel really sorry for him. My youngest is 17 1/2 and I am so ready to be done raising kids. I have a 35 year old so I think I've been doing this long enough. Because of that I really would like to meet a man who is done raising his kids too. At least if men do have younger children they don't usually have full custody. One problem is that neither of us has a place to be alone together so intimacy is a huge challenge.
 FastReb
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2012 9:08:04 PM
OP, I'm in the same situation. I'm 51 and have my two sons, ages 11 & 8, who live with me full-time. As other posters stated, most people our age have already raised their kids and don't want the demands again that come with young children. I can't hold it against them. They made their choices and I made mine. And in that respect, I have no regrets. And yes, I keep telling myself that hope springs eternal and I'll find someone who can accept the whole package.
 Rythmn
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2012 1:11:39 AM
i fost/adopted three teens at age 50, ages 10 1/2 to 13. got divorced in late 50's and i was the one with the remaining child and the others in and out, but with all the issues. sure, there are some who don't want kids. some cannot take the issues. etc. etc. there are also people with kids, or grand kids, who really like kids no matter what. main thing is that you have a family life w/o major dysfunction. i know guys who've broken up with moms who did not 'manage" their families or dumped the kids on them. if "your" kids, you need to have the family in reasonable shape and not expect an outsider to run it for you.

there is another overlapping issue that some people who are retired are dating someone who still works. same issue. do you have time for the partner?

lastly, i've known many men who had babies with younger women who dumped the kids on them. usually due to addictions. they too are in the same boat.

so, if he doesn't like your kids, move on. don't use one or two guys who don't like kids as an excuse not to find the right guy for you. join parents w/o partners. if they are younger, network and have them find you an older relative or friend! this is how people used to meet. one must take advantage of all social situations?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 141
Posted: 7/28/2012 6:43:59 AM
Yanno, I've hear the been there, done that, and don't want to do it again because it's my time now thing...and I'm fine with that...because there are plenty of fish in the sea and others with different preferences.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 146
Posted: 7/30/2012 7:48:05 PM
If I ever get to the point of meeting someone I would actually like to date, I would be very clear about the time I have to see him (1/2 the week, and some flexibility), and about keeping my dating life separate from my home life. I would not bring someone to my home until I knew them well enough to feel it was safe for me, and never when my kids were home unless we were planning to live together (not sure I'd do that, either, though).

I like the fact that POF has the "all my kids are over 18" choice, b/c if there is a "yes" for "have children," it means they have kids under 18. I don't want to be any more specific about that. Men are much more likely to talk about their kids and have pics of their kids in their profiles than I am, and probably we all know why. That's ok.

I do avoid "retired," just b/c I won't have the freedom of a retired person for many years yet (b/c of work; my kids aren't that young!), but if someone who is retired contacted me, I'd explain that and see where it goes from there.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >