Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Any type of powder protein more easily absorbed & utilized than anoth      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TrulyStephanie
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Any type of powder protein more easily absorbed & utilized than another?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Atlas, thanks for the help...
How do I know if they are high quality or not?
And, anyone know which of them have the highest protein grams and lowest calories?
I'd also appreciate the names of a few products and maybe places where I can buy them...
Unflavored ones really nasty huh? what types of foods/drinks did you try mixing them in?
Thanks again
 Smitty828282
Msg: 3
Any type of powder protein more easily absorbed & utilized than another?
Posted: 2/3/2008 1:05:14 PM
I was curious about the liquid diet too...

If you're going on it for medical reasons that's one thing, if this is some kind of crash diet then I refuse to help someone like that. OP please tell us why you're going on such an unhealthy diet.
 TrulyStephanie
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2008 1:42:18 PM
Yes, it is for medical reasons... and after the three weeks, I'll be on limited textured foods (soft foods) for about two weeks... So, I feel it's viatl to learn about the highest nutritional value in and of foods, I'll be able to eat. I Know some about basic nutrition, and have done some research on the subject, but, thought I'd ask around here on the health and fitness forum to get some info from "real" peoples experience, and knowledge... I appreciate anyone and everyones help...
Thank you.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/4/2008 1:17:58 AM
If you're doing liquids for med reasons, and this isn't for weight loss, I'd suggest using some nut butters. They're going to be little high on the fat content, but can be blended well into smoothies. Same thing goes for silken tofu if you're good with tofu. Hard boiled egg whites could potentially be blended into a soup. Dry curd cottage cheese would also blend well into soups or smoothies. Potentially even something like chick peas (the ones used to make hummus) might work well in a soup.

I'd say those are better options than powder, if you simply need protein while doing a liquid diet.
 TrulyStephanie
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 10:32:47 AM
Captain Girly Girl... Thanks so much for the helpful advice...
Love the suggestions of putting the egg white into the soups... and the chicken breast I'll be able to grind up and mix with things like ricotta cheese (lowfat) for main dishes, in the small individual (portion control sizes) ramekins (sp??)
I am also being conscious of my calories, but, will need to get at least 1200 in per day, wanting them to be whole grains (when I am able to eat solids), along with the proteins and fruits and veggies... I love to juice, so, as far as fruits and veggies, I'm not worry at all... but, have to make sure I get some fiber and enough protein. any suggestions as to the "fiber" products out there like "Beneficial" (sp??)... anything decent tasting to mix in with water, or juices?
Thanks again everyone so helpful...
Planning all my "needs"...
I've lost 32 lbs already... and by summer... I'll be at goal.

I go to the YMCA 3-5 days aweek...
and finally made a new lease on this life I was blessed with!
Thanks again!
 Belle Requin
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/4/2008 11:13:40 AM
flax is incredibly high fibre, and ground flax can be put in smoothies. Bit of taste to it, but you can use strong enough flavours to hide it.

Rather than just juicing, put about a cup of fruit juice in your blender as well as actual fruit, to keep the fibre. Or you can put veggies in your smoothie. The thing with juicing is it gets rid of the fibre. You can re-use that fibre, or just use whole/sliced/pitted/peeled whatever fruit in your blender to keep the fibre. Again for soups, you can puree cooked legumes or veggies.

The healthiest way is always with natural/whole foods, even if you have to put them through a blender...
 MustangGal0820
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/19/2008 10:06:25 AM
I had gastric bypass 2 years ago. They have us use Isopure (found at our pharmacy) or UnJury. Isopure has vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry. I use the vanilla the most because I can add a piece of fruit and then it becomes different flavors.

Isopure has 50 grams of whey protein and is $40. You should be getting at least 65+ grams of protein a day.
 satx78218
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2008 11:06:36 PM
An adult needs only about 2 ounces protein/day. That's very easy to obtain from a healthy diet.

Excess protein is acidifying, has to be excreted (can't be stored), and is hard on the kidneys.

It's too late now, but for your liquid diet, simple powdered egg white is fairly mild flavor and a lot cheaper than those buckets of tarted up expensive protein powder:

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=631&HS=1

and a tasteless grain, a re-discovered super food, called chia:

http://www.chiaseedandoil.com/chiacart/product_info.php?products_id=51&osCsid=a267a197d2895af5cf5c6d56b109ad42

Easy to add to blender drinks.
 TrulyStephanie
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 9:41:32 AM
I didn't even notice there were more posts to my questions... Thanks so much, I'm researching the suggestions and planning a trip to my holelistic/health store.
I've never heard of taking some extra amino acids to replace the protein, but going to research that too...

I really am thankful for all the advice.

Oh, I just wanted to mention that I do realize that we do need some "healthy" fats in our diets, and if I'm eating a well balanced diet, I believe you get most of it from the meat proteins... even lean meats have very little, but, some fat in them. And, I also use olive oil, flax oil, I eat almonds and walnuts (the nuts and butters) sparingly...

I eat very little processed food, it has been more or less eating improperly, portion size, hormonal problems, and a way of coping...

SATX78218... I'm really interested in why or how you believe we only need 2 ounces of protein a day... I understand your statement of a diet solely of protein could/would tax your kidneys, but, in order for a person to lose fat, it is my understanding that you have to provide the body with enough protein first, so that it doesn't start to use it's stored protein, which of course is muscle?

Again, thanks for all the helpful information
 TrulyStephanie
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 9:46:07 AM
For those wondering "why?"
I did have a "lap band" procedure done on March 6th, 2008.
I'm just now feeling "back to myself"... I expected to jump right back into the activity in my life, thinking "I'm a trooper" I can handle this too...

There was so much judgment attached to making the decision to use this sort of "tool"... I, myself had to get over the guilt of feeling like I was "taking the easy way out". Those are the statements that I've heard over the years concerning these procedures.

When I did seriously start to research this procedure, and shared it with family and friends... the hardest part of it all was having them tell me "your not heavy enough to have it done..." and "you've lost weight many times before..."

Although the doctors do expect a certain BMI, they also look at how long a person has struggled with the problem, family history, medical conditions, and many various other aspects of a persons health and well being.

I guess I'm trying to encourage anyone who feels they are just not "heavy" enough to have it done, to research it, and if you honestly feel you need this type of "tool" to help you achieve better health. Go after it...

The first information session I went too, the doctor actually said in the intro, "Anyone here think this is the easy way out?", and, "think this is a magical cure to your weight problem?" He turned and pointed to the door, and ask them to use it... he said "this is only a tool, it's like any other tool, if you don't use it, it's not going to help..."

I'm down 47 pounds since making the decision to have the surgery Nov 07, I'm actively walking 3X a week, I go to the Y 3X a week to do aqua aerobic exercise classes and deep water jogging. I was doing all of that pre-op, now, I have to wait two more weeks in order to go back to the pool, and three weeks to get back in the gym and do the routines the trainer taught me to do with free weights and on the machines. But, now that I'm feeling over the hump of the healing... I'm now walking again.

I'm so psych'd... I am the lowest I've been in years, and now, I have to learn to deal with other peoples fears now that I am losing the weight, and becoming healthy.

As much as family loves us, they are also use to us acting and behaving in certain ways... Most people are afraid of, or don't like change, it scares them... I've learned that their interests can't come first any longer, it's my life that I have to protect and make healthy...

My mother was the one to (try to) innocently lay the first guilt trip on me... We went for tea the other day, and she looked over and said.... "I told your sister you're going to get skinny now, and leave us". I just smiled and lightheartedly said "well, I'm definitely going to be more healthy, and I guess if my heart leads me somewhere else... you all will be happy for me, I'm sure".

Well, thanks for letting me share... If anyone wants information about the procedures I'd be happy to send some of the material I used in researching this...just e-mail me...
 satx78218
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 9:01:29 PM
"I've lost 32 lbs already"

Congrats. What's wrong with just continuing with what you're doing?

... until you get to a lean weight. Cancel the surgery, save somebody (you or your insurance company) a whole lot of money, and remove the risks of surgery, side-effects, and all the post-op stuff you've got to be concerned with. Cutting out a healthy piece of your body seems totally insane.

Splitting hairs about these competing, unnatural protein products is funny. I bet nobody can demonstrate any advantage of one vs the other. Not even the body builders who obsess over this stuff.

Powdered eggs or eggwhites, e.g. fromHoneyvilleGrains $25/can, will do the job. You need only a couple ounces of protein/day.

The most exotic I'd go for would be whey protein isolate, but that's a lot more expensive.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/31/2008 10:42:04 AM
Well I didn't need a spell check to see how to spell caseinate, so I kinda doubt that Pisces needed one either...

However, seeing as you misspelled her name, which was clearly on the page you viewed, the logical conclusion would be you put no effort forth in proper spelling at all.

Perhaps (and this is all speculation as Pisces and I think very differently) one could assume that if you put no effort forth in spelling correctly, that you put little effort in assuring the rest of your information is correct.
 ShadowLands
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 1:09:01 PM

You need only a couple ounces of protein/day.

You couldn't be more wrong.
 satx78218
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 3:55:13 PM
# W.H.O. recommends 0.45 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight per day.

# Maximum Daily Protein Requirement: US RDA recommends 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight per day.

My 89 Kg x 0.45 g (WHO) = 40 g = 1.5 oz

And 2.6 oz for USDA (a beef/dairy promoter/subsidizer) recommendation, which is a MAX.

Where am I wrong, and what is your recommendation?
 TrulyStephanie
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 8:32:32 PM
satx78218...
I tried to e-mail you, but your not accepting mail from people my age.
Really, I would have preferred writing you privately, as you somehow "assumed" that I cut something out of my body... I wrote quite openly and honestly about which procedure I had done, I'm sorry you didn't read/understand my post...
I have no regrets, I'm down 51 pounds to date, and so much more happy and healthy.

I really want to thank everyone again, for all the helpful information...
I'm getting plenty of protein.
 ShadowLands
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 10:21:41 AM

Where am I wrong, and what is your recommendation?

You are listening to the recommendations of a government agency and the World Health Organization. The error of your ways should be fairly obvious. Do more independent research.

You are also making a blind recommendation to a complete stranger based on these agencies. You must take into account her daily activity levels, workout regimens, and other food intake. Then, you must do follow up work with her to see what types of progress or issues she is having and alter her plan accordingly.

This is what trainers and dietary technicians do for people.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Any type of powder protein more easily absorbed & utilized than another?