Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What do your kids call your SO?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
My kids call my boyfriend by his first name, his daughter calls me either by my first name or my nickname like her dad does most of the time.
Don't see anything disrespectful about it.
I'd hate my kids to call him uncle, kinda makes me sick when I hear kids calling the parents SO's aunt or uncle.
 happyboi
Msg: 5
What do your kids call your SO?
Posted: 2/5/2008 3:21:31 PM
I went with just my ex-GF's first name. That worked fine. I have never really felt comfortable with anyone calling me Mr. Lastname, personally. :-)

Though, my ex-wife went right to the heart of the matter, and started having our daughter call her BF/finance daddy.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 5:06:46 PM
I don't see a problem with the first name basis. To me, it sounds better than being called an Aunt/Uncle.
 freeridergirl
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 1:53:29 PM
Hi for whats its worth... if youre introducing your new partner/boyfriend as a friend to your children what ever their age its quite normal to call a friend by their first name. Us adults complicate things so much... whats wrong with calling some one by their first name if initially they are only a friend!!! If you then realise its for keeps with this new partner then ask the kids what they would like to call them. My ex has just re married and he has told them this new woman is the kids step mum.... it hurt that someone else should consider to share/take on my title!!! children were in a quandry about it and I told them that they could call her step mum if they wanted but after so long calling her by her first name why the need to change?? Eldest (11) stated that she would only call her step mum when I died (thanks god for the honesty of children lol) At the end of the day kids are very astute why not ask them what they want to do.... respect is earnt not by what you call some one!!!
 wanderbaby
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 3:04:37 PM
yes, but they aren't in their personal lives other than at daycare or some events. The significant other has more time with you and the kids, so there is some difference.

everyone has their preference.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 11:30:04 AM
lol fab-mom, that is so in the south lol. the sir/m'aam thing isn't done everywhere. I think it's a culture/society thing, if you are raised with that belief from family, then it will pass on to you and to your kids and so forth.
 HeyItsBeej
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:45:20 PM

Why do you think schools and daycares always go by Miss or Mr (insert first name here)......it's respect.

At every school my son has attended, every person is called by his/her first name - students, teachers, administrators, maintenance people, all of 'em. And there's respect o'plenty at each of those schools.

Then again, he's only gone to Montessori schools.
 HeyItsBeej
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:51:50 PM
Mine use his first name.

When I was dating my ex-husband, I asked his daughter who was 3 at the time (my former stepdaughter who still considers me her parent and who I still consider my kid) what she wanted to call me and gave her some options: my given name, my nickname (Beej), Ms. Lastname, etc. She chose my first name. When we got married, she chose to call me Mom (she reserved "Mommy" for her mother). She's 14 now, and though her father and I are divorced, she calls me "Mom" and her mother "Mama."
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >