Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AarAndEpps
Msg: 79
Between Genius and InsanityPage 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Insanity is refusal to accept the humanly created standards of normalcy for the masses......AarAndEpps
 inetuse
Msg: 80
Between Genius and Insanity
Posted: 12/13/2008 11:10:11 PM
Louis Pasteur was labeled insane when he supported the germ theory of disease which then he later on invented the first vaccine for rabies.
Galileo was labeled insane when he defended heliocentrism against universal opinion.
What about an old, bearded, drunk, vagrant on the city corner going on about world rapture and biblical prophecy?
Also, Ferdinand Magellan when people thought he was going to sail off the earth.

Albert Einstein: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”.
Unfortunately, whether something is considered insane or ingenious is often determined by the outspoken majority and popular opinion at the given time period.

For the other side of the fence, Hitler and Eugenics, L..Ron Hubbard and Scientology(sorry!), today often labeled as insane, but once upon a time or still currently followed by the masses and considered ingenious and correct.

It depends on the circumstances.
 athomeinportage
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/14/2008 1:51:58 PM
I think insain people make simple things complex and genius make complex things simple. There is a bit of both in all of us I think.

Also, genious is all in the ability to ask great questions. So how can you tell the difference between the insain questions and the great questions?
 F00L
Msg: 82
Posted: 12/14/2008 6:51:24 PM
I can play this game.

Sanity is the delusion of the rational.

Learning = Knowledge/Time
Genius is when Knowledge /Time > 1
 joyousjumble
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/14/2008 10:19:12 PM
Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world.
R. D. Lang

this sounds more like sanity ...any adjustment is sort of sanity...
 Sivoph
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/14/2008 10:27:23 PM
Yes, a lot of pivotal scientific work coming out of those insane asylums. Where do those drug-addled patients find the time between the pillow throwing and drool sessions?
 miakid84
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2008 7:44:43 PM
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
- Bruce Feirstein
 I got fooled, yet again
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/15/2008 11:00:34 PM
I dunno. We should ask a genius who's insane. (I think all previous posters qualify for 50% of the requirements; genius is an adjective, insanity is a noun. If genius is a noun, it's always a person, it is not a conceptual noun. Much like "truck driver" cannot be compared to "liberty", however much both are nouns. "Genius" and "insanity" can not, pro pod quadrum, be compared; neither for similarities nor for differences.)
 TheArmyLife
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/16/2008 10:00:36 AM
What is genius other than madness in method?
 captain wolfe
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/4/2009 9:00:02 PM
to me the key to genius is to keep a open mind too everything when it comes to the unknown to the known. and to think outside the box when ever i am thinking of something or going over a case file, i come up with 3 idea to what happend,from the best to the most out there keeping a open mind.
 insert user name
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/4/2009 9:08:29 PM

Also, Ferdinand Magellan when people thought he was going to sail off the earth.

Actually, the only people who thought Magellan would fall off the earth were nut jobs in insane aslyums. It was commonly accepted at the time that the world was spherical. He was just trying to find a path to Asia that would not conflict with Portugal's African route, so he tried to find a path around the New Continents. He made it around the tip of South America and had every intention of turning around there and heading back, but the current and winds of the region made it impossible so they had to keep going the way they went. Poor **stard caught an arrow in the Philippines and died.

A teacher said it to me once, the difference between insanity and genius is being able to prove everyone else wrong in the end. If I set out to develop a compact and reliable way to bend space to allow for fast long range travel I would be labeled insane, but if I succeeded I would be heralded as a genius. In the end, its the results that determine the distinction.
 sarsss
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/5/2009 2:08:59 PM
How would someone whose intelligence does not come close to geniuses’ form an accurate opinions about geniuses? Many will see geniuses as insane because they do not understand geniuses’ way of thinking.

Face your limitations!!!

Kyle4438
Msg: 92
Posted: 2/5/2009 5:52:34 PM
what does low inhabition mean?
 sarsss
Msg: 94
Posted: 2/12/2009 4:33:32 PM
Haha very funny sbsquarefish! That is someone else! I do not have a m y s p a c e, nor is my picture identical to the picture on the web you posted, so I do not see what your point is!

Making a correlation between one's picture and intelligence does not make sense!

How can you email someone with accusations that not only are not true and are not verified but also do not make sense?

Then, when that person blocks you, you come to discussion forum to post the same nonsense!

I blocked you and I do not wish do talk to you on the discussion forums either even though you look very fit in your second picture and have a very nice approach! Nice try!

Yes, WE need to face our limitations and understand that when we do not understand someone, it might be because someone is more intelligent and not weird!

Just imagine how many people would have laughed at and considered strange the Albert Einstein's hairstyle, appearance, or possibly even behavior if they did not know who he was!

Nothing is bound within our impressions!

aremeself
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2009 2:01:45 PM
dont know my history,[thinking about lunch break in school]

was galalaio thought of as crazy? or did they remove that from the history records in time?
who else, anyone have a list? sorry abot speling.

Me? I think there is a big difference between the two, some might be misslabled for a while.
 hurricane hanna
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2009 3:55:31 PM
There is no relationship between mental illness and intelligence.

There is no 'fine line between genius and mental illness'.

Anyone of any level of intelligence can become mentally ill. Severely retarded, exceptional, and everything in between.

We tend to notice it more and remark on it more when an intelligent person is mentally ill, but there is no connection.

Many people love to wax philosophical on it, but I think that has more to do with not understanding mental illness than anything else.

Mental illness is an illness of the brain that affects how the brain functions, how decisions are made, how the person speaks, how perceptions work, and how people pick up social cues, make decisions, and understand other people.

It's relatively common for a person with severe mental illness to say s/he is being transformed into something else or to make a variety of other statements about the world or him or herself. This has nothing to do with Kafka (except that he was probably mentally ill himself) or philosophy or existentialism. It's just a mentally ill person and that's how they talk sometimes, because of the illness affecting their brain.

Mentally ill people have for many centuries been the target of various speculation and pronouncements, most of them say more about our culture than about mental illness.

A person who makes strange claims or statements deserves a kind response, and not ridicule or arguments. Arguing with these statements does nothing. The thoughts and statements are due to the affect of the illness on the brain, you cannot argue or convince a person otherwise, the only thing that changes such thoughts is medication that keeps those nerves in the brain from taking such a pounding (which is what causes those symptoms - certain cells in the brain getting too much activity of certain brain chemicals). The best reaction is to listen and to try to understand the feeling behind the statements.

Often the statement can be understood as something much less exaggerated and distorted than the way it is coming out, so that, 'I'm being turned into a lion' might mean, 'I feel ill, I don't feel like I used to', and I'd say, 'I'm sorry you are having a tough time. What do you want me to do for you?', or, 'How about a good meal and some coffee?'

If someone told me they were being transformed into a lion, I would not tease them or argue with them.

I'd remain calm and non judgemental. I would try to encourage the person to see a doctor, but if they were unwilling, I would try to keep a trusting contact going, in the hope of helping the person to feel safe and cared for (cared for in a calm, non pressure way), and in the hope that some day they could be encouraged to accept some help.
 aremeself
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2009 10:31:57 PM
cant add much to that.

eccept for being too anxious, I dont think you can think too much.[other post]
 ZenBeth
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/7/2009 5:35:38 PM
A book I own and recommend is Eccentrics: A Study of Sanity and Strangeness by David Weeks a neuropsychologist and Jamie James who worked for the BBC wrote the book which as the amazon.com site notes 'summarizes findings from the first systematic study of "eccentrics": highly talented and unusual people who are somewhere between "normal" and "nuts". This is a domain occupied by genuine geniuses and charming crackpots'.

Liked how they noted that in Europe eccentrics are appreciated, treasured or at least left alone, whereas here in the states we tend to medicate and institutionalize folks who are deemed 'different' and label them insane or at least mentally ill in some way. Labels mean people dont have to think outside the box.

Look at all the famous scientists who were deemed insane, because they disagreed with the church. Look at just twenty years ago when being non heterosexuals were deemed mentally ill in some way.
 Island home
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/12/2011 9:07:36 PM

Albert Einstein: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”.

Some times you have to keep doing what you are doing till you fully realise, what you are doing.
 60to70
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/18/2011 9:23:41 PM
Insanity is not knowing that you are sadly comprimised and doing yourself and others damage. Genius is a two sided sword. On one side is the brilliant gift, on the other is the pain the gift can bring. Both genius and insanity can and will cut one off from the vital pleasure in human relationships. sad.
 professorjjd
Msg: 101
Posted: 9/24/2011 6:39:33 AM
In my 20's, I was tested by a psychologist, my IQ is 145, so technically, I'm a genious! Although I have no degree, no doctorate, no "higher education", the things I choose as my interests I am always researching(on my own).. Yet, I ALSO classify myself as borderline insane! According to every personality test I've taken, I'm classified as a full sociopath, and proud of it! So I DO believe in the theoretical 'fine line" between genious and insanity".. "when one's moral growth fails to keep step with one's intellectual growth, one becomes a "fiend". A human monster! Hence, many serial killers, sociopaths, and their ilk usually have VERY high IQ's! Goes hand in hand. Look at the genious scientists and doctors who were also Nazi's, very high intelligence, no moral compunctions. Nuff said!
 infiniteperfection
Msg: 102
Posted: 9/24/2011 11:19:25 PM
You might like to read "Men of Genius" by Lombroso. It is an older book but good. He was liked by Wittgenstein.
 R_O_U_S
Msg: 103
Posted: 10/30/2011 3:03:07 PM
the nature of the beast is in-genious... to where it can be nutured insane.
 JustDukky
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/31/2011 8:09:46 AM
What makes a person crazy as opposed to ingenious?

I would suggest an inability to distinguish right from wrong (for whatever perceptual reason) to the extent that he becomes a hazard to self and/or others through no fault of his own.

Anything not falling under this definition is "social insanity", but this comes very close to calling someone crazy because he doesn't see things the way you or the majority does. Harmless delusions are a good case in point. Who cares if someone thinks he's a lion? As long as he doesn't stalk & eat anyone or leave lion dung on your lawn, what's the harm?

History is replete with "nut cases" eventually proved to be geniuses. We ought not be too quick to condemn a point of view, as "insane" as it may sound to us.
 aremeself
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2011 1:20:35 AM
hi dukky

good point, on these sites, creationists are apparently insane, but not harmless.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >