Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whatever0001
Msg: 127
At what age do we lower our standards on dating?Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I don't think that I would say that I have lowered my standards with age. I'd say that I have just changed my priorities. I used feel like I had to have the drop dead gorgeous guy. But now I am way more interested in personality, and common interests. Looks still matter to some degree, just because there has to be that chemistry, but they are much farther down the list these days.
 SAIUN
Msg: 129
At what age do we lower our standards on dating?
Posted: 4/5/2008 7:48:54 AM
By the age of 14 when I still hadn't had a girlfriend I lowered my standards as far as they'd go, and they're still right down there. Still haven't had a girlfriend, either.
 midwesterndude
Msg: 130
Posted: 4/5/2008 12:48:15 PM
I'm expecting more of myself than I used to. I think I'm entitled to turn my relationships up a notch, too. This is absolutely no excuse to trample those on their way up with/behind me.
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 9:39:22 AM
Never! I will not lower my standards for anyone. I know what kind of man I want to be with and I will hold out and wait and not waste my time with people that aren't up to par.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 140
Posted: 4/17/2008 10:10:24 AM
myself, I find woman over 40 much more attractive, they have such a mature look, a style and sex appeal that only comes with age and life,,
 cenettix
Msg: 141
Posted: 4/17/2008 10:16:34 AM

I think my standards have risen as I've gotten older.

Exactly! I realized that I HAD no standards in my early 20s. Tall, short, thin, thick, one eye, three eyes, 4 legs, didn't care.
Also, personality & compatibility had zero affect on my decisions. Pull the trigger and then ask questions later....or don't ask at all.
 Me Dammit
Msg: 146
Posted: 4/17/2008 8:05:29 PM
I would hope never. I also don't think standards are lower-able nor raise-able. You just like what you like. Perhaps your tastes are changing?
 nameismarcus
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2008 9:28:27 AM
What's wrong with lowering your standards slightly? It seems some people are only looking for the absolute perfect people out there. Not saying to lower the bar to the floor but why turn away quality people that might not be perfect 10s?
 sin2gether2
Msg: 149
Posted: 4/20/2008 11:35:20 AM
I think there are many other factors than age.

I think a factor is location. Some cities have a shortage of single men. (like mine)
Another factor is career. Some jobs restrict the ability of a person to have a relationship by either making their free time limited or by not providing the potential meeting of any single people through their job.
Another factor is having children. This also restricts the number of potential dating partners.

I think these other factors may drive some women to lower their standards. More than age.
 redkatt
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 12:04:08 PM
Simple answer is never. I don't believe that you should ever lower your standards for what you may be looking for.

Now with that being written I do believe that your standards change as you get older and hopefully a bit wiser.

Such as when your 20 all you may care about is a hot body and physical chemistry in a partner where as in your 30's (sorry I couldn't go any higher then 30's because I'm only 32, lol) you tend not to focus so much on the outside package as much but what's truly on the inside. That's not lowering standards but growing up and realizing what really is important in a partner.

Hope this helps you Oh45429.
 YingKissesYang
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2008 10:34:00 AM
I sit here and wonder.... At what age to we lower our standards on the perfect person to date hunt? It seems we start out with ideas of finding the right person on the Fish
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It took years of personal searching, but I lowered mine when I was about 20.
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 155
Posted: 5/25/2008 10:10:49 AM

I sit here and wonder.... At what age to we lower our standards on the perfect person to date hunt?

It seems that in relationships, having "standards" probably is unrealistic. This ain't the business world and we aren't making widgets. There is no ISO registration. And ther is no "perfect person to date." There are two imperfect humans, each with frailties and strengths. Two people that change daily, each having good days and really bad days, though hopefully, the bad days will not be on the SAME day.

And what we desire in a mate changes as we age, so what might have been "perfect" when I was 30 years younger isn't going to work so well as I approach 60. I don't think we "lower our standards" at all. I do think we change. I do not think it happens at a certain age, though. Humans aren't built like that and we aren't "run" by Mother Nature. Two things separate us from our animal ancestors: two opposable thumbs and the ability to make choices for any reason, good or bad.

forum101
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 1:32:22 PM
When I was younger, I made excuses for guys, and covered up what I really thought or felt. I have forgiven to much in the past and gave them another chance. cheating and lies because I felt I had no other choice, than to be alone. And I was scared of that. I am more independent, confident and do not need a man in my file. I want one, but we dont always get what we want. No, my standards are a lot higher now than then. I bring honesty and morals, values into a relationship. I expect those same qualities in a man, and wont settle for anything else. One lie, no matter how small, if I cant trust him, he is out of here.
 R2000
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 1:59:43 PM
I know exactly when I lower my standards. It takes me 5-6 drinks in 2 hours. Then, I start lowering my standards. :)
 misszmsz
Msg: 163
Posted: 5/28/2009 7:36:49 PM
I think alot of people settle. Which is sad for them and their "chosen"mate.

Older and wiser, most do not lower their standards, but become even more selective because they know what they want and don't want.
 T3rr4nc3
Msg: 164
Posted: 5/28/2009 8:04:59 PM
My standards may seem too high, but in fact I'm too good of a catch to just go for the first person I find physically attractive.
 karma1160
Msg: 166
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:05:02 PM
If you are want my advice I say quit trying to find the "one".
Try changing your life so that you look at people as they are and be present in the moment . Perfection has it's drawbacks. Everyone you meet has something to share with you or you have something to share with them no matter how small or large.

Peoples wants and needs change everyday why look at it as lowering your standards maybe you need something different today.
 dyinginside11
Msg: 167
Posted: 5/29/2009 1:01:19 PM
that completely depends on your definition of standards. Maybe you are being too picky, looking for this fairy tale type of man/woman that simply doesn't exist.
 RLC89
Msg: 168
Posted: 5/29/2009 1:44:36 PM
I will never lower my standards.
And to be honest, I think my standards are actually increasing as I get older.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 6:44:47 PM
I've seen it too many times, when someone has just settled, or hasn't had many experiences, or has low self esteem, that they hook up with someone. This in turn makes both parties unhappy, as well as friends, relatives, not to mention what children they may have. Of course, in some of these cases, the two in question will decide, "Oh well, might as well make the best of this thing, and salvage some happiness out of this."

No thank you, I would rather be by myself, rather than put myself and my family through all of that.
 sashimiboy
Msg: 170
Posted: 8/24/2009 1:59:35 PM
lol @ the denial in here

Everyone lowers their standards subconsicously as they age and go past their expiration. More so with women since their market value plummets as they age compared to men.

People like to say they don't lower their standards to feel good about themselves.
 My I
Msg: 171
Posted: 8/24/2009 9:02:35 PM

People like to say they don't lower their standards to feel good about themselves

In some cases, I'll agree with you. One who dates a bunch of people can't really have too high of a standard. I say that because it's ridiculous to think a man or woman can go through that many dates believing they are being fussy.

In my case, it's not a question of lowering standards. It's more like I'm discouraged from what I see in the dating world.... I've lost that desire to want someone in my life because there is so much dishonesty and selfishness with my age group. It appears as though 40 something people are acting like kids (and dating them) now that they are out of a marriage..... the immaturity turns me off.

My standards remain the same - I've lessened/lower my resolve to date.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 174
Posted: 8/24/2009 10:05:25 PM
If anything i would think people would higher their standards as they age, as they have "been around the block" already and know what they DO want and like and what they DONT want and like, what is negotiaable and what is an absolute dealbreaker.
At 29 my standards are wayyyyyyy higher than they were at 21, 19 or 16.
I wish i had high standards when i was younger, but have found love nonetheless, but boy it has been a bumpy road, kissed a lot of frogs before i found the prince's.
 Treloe
Msg: 175
Posted: 8/25/2009 12:31:47 AM
JimmyPaige just said it all.
 HazelRose
Msg: 176
Posted: 8/25/2009 1:57:01 AM
Never lower your standards. Do you buy threadbare tires when our car gets old? Do you stop buying your old dog his favorite food because he's old now? No you don't, the same standards apply. Hold true to your standards, especially if they are good ones.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >