Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 17
A Theory of TheoriesPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Something that andyaa reminds me of:

In psychology,
cognitive dissonance is the mental stress or discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time, or is confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values.

Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance focuses on how humans strive for internal consistency. When inconsistency (dissonance) is experienced, individuals tend to become psychologically uncomfortable and they are motivated to attempt to reduce this dissonance, as well as actively avoiding situations and information which are likely to increase it.

Currently, andyaa can't seem to absorb what he reads.
He can't even absorb the information of the links that he posts.
Example is that every link he posts state that time travel is hypothetical.
He can't seem to understand that if it is hypothetical then that means that time travel is impossible for humans.
 robaustralia
Msg: 18
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 12/13/2014 10:53:54 PM
Sounds like Autism to me! Perhaps we should make allowances for mentally deficient pseudo scientists .
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 19
view profile
History
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 12/14/2014 6:49:51 AM

Example is that every link he posts state that time travel is hypothetical.
He can't seem to understand that if it is hypothetical then that means that time travel is impossible for humans.

Actually, that's wrong. The definition of the word "hypothetical" does INCLUDE impossible suggestions, but it also includes true statements of fact, as well as supposition, imaginary proposals, and so on. Hypothetical statements are commonly PORTIONS of larger arguments. Not arguments in and of themselves.

I haven't seen the posts you say prove andyaa got things wrong, so I wont comment on them. However, your statement here and now, is incorrect.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 20
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 12/14/2014 9:44:22 AM
Context IgorFrankensteen , context.

definition of the word "hypothetical" does INCLUDE impossible suggestions...

time travel is impossible for humans

I believe , in the context that I used it, I am correct.

As for you not seeing the posts?
Not a stretch to see them, as those threads were right beside this one.
Perhaps you just choose to not comment.
 emotionalheat
Msg: 21
view profile
History
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 12/18/2014 9:53:54 PM
Perhaps the confusion comes into play when people are discussing theories with such a strong foundation that many other theories have been positively developed from the first. One example is Newton's theory of gravity. It was considered to be extremely accurate until Einstein. But even today Newton's theory is accurate and serves as the foundation of other proven theories on gravity, even Einstein's. Unfortunately, Newton's theory has a limitations we could never have known until we advanced.

Today Newton's theory is still taught because it is still as accurate as it ever was, now we just know its limitations.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 22
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:47:43 PM
Yes but you can test Newton's theory and it works within its' limitations.

There is no test for humans travelling time.
Worm holes don't even exist. We imagined them and found that our math supported the imaginary concept.
 emotionalheat
Msg: 23
view profile
History
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 12/19/2014 7:40:10 AM

Yes but you can test Newton's theory and it works within its' limitations.
There is no test for humans travelling time.
Worm holes don't even exist. We imagined them and found that our math supported the imaginary concept.

We don't have to have a current ability to test a hypothesis in order to come up with one. We would never progress in science if we didn't 'imagine' the possibilities.

If a hypothesis is upheld by any currently acceptable measure, ie mathematics, then it rests upon a foundation that scientists generally recognize and the hypothesis will likely be testable at some point. Einstein thought he was a failure - today we know what a raging success he was.

In the field of mathematics some theories had not been accepted for centuries, today they are (ie Fermat's Theorem).
A hypothesis is simply a statement about a possibility. What follows the hypothesis in philosophy or science is the ‘argument’ detailing the inductive or deductive reasoning that is used to convince others that the logic, follows from the course of actions taken.

A hypothesis about spiritual beings in not only a valid hypothesis but such ideas led to the hugely popular study of the metaphysical in the field of philosophy. Of course science has long been associated only with studying what’s possible in the physical world.

So whether one hypothesizes about worm holes, time travel, or the spiritual realm all hypotheses are valid but it’s up to the individual putting forth the hypothesis to explain the premises that the conjecture is based on. That explanation will most likely determine whether the discussion will be a philosophical one or one of science.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 24
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 12/19/2014 10:26:53 AM

the hypothesis will likely be testable at some point

Depending on what we are talking about, that IS the debate!
BIG maybe that worm holes exist.
The problem is that the hypothesis will likely NOT be testable at any point in time.

it’s up to the individual putting forth the hypothesis to explain the premises that the conjecture is based on. That explanation will most likely determine whether the discussion will be a philosophical one or one of science.

YOU NAILED IT!!!!

The topic of humans travelling time is NOT testable at this point AND may never be.
The reason is because the math relies on philosophical proposals to fill all the holes.
The main one being the "worm hole".
The philosophical position for humans to travel time was relying on using a worm hole to get past the light speed problem to travel time.
The problem is that you would need to travel light speed to get to the worm hole. (chicken or egg dilemna)

As for the spiritual realm/spiritual beings, that is stuck in the philosophical, as there is no math or scientific phenomena that supports it. (A whole other debate but I enjoy - I'm open to those possibilities)

Although, the "Ship in a Bottle" episode from the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation is one path of possible explanations to support the theory of a creator.
 emotionalheat
Msg: 25
view profile
History
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 12/19/2014 10:02:03 PM
Oh, ok. Thanks for your patience and your explanation. I find it interesting. I'm heading out of town for a few days but I'll check to see what's happening here on my return so I can stay caught up and maybe take part in the discussion.
 Trynottobecreepy
Msg: 26
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 2/9/2015 2:29:15 PM
I love you guys! But anyone who tries to speak scientifically and uses the term "prove" instead of "fail to disprove" makes me want to stick a fork in my eye :S
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 2/10/2015 11:28:03 AM
^ Well, we do have the constant problem of having to use incorrect layman's language sometimes, which contributes to this.

I've always thought that a lot would be achieved, towards public understanding science, by making common knowledge that the two beating hearts which really make science what it is (which are oddly the very things that people usually believe are not part of a scientific enterprise) -

- Epistemology, in the sense that while we're "thinking about stuff" (doing science), that also always includes "thinking about how we're thinking".

- Scientific Pragmatism, in the sense that such-and-such is "what we know so far", and "the best interpretation or perception that we can responsibly choose so far"...and the understanding that "we could always be wrong somewhere".

All real scientists observe this, and this is required for science to be science.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 28
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 2/10/2015 4:46:50 PM

Why do fully intelligent, even seemingly hyper-intelligent people state particular theories as fact ? Scientific theories are changing on a daily basis, some people need to add ; "as far as we know" or something to that effect to their statements

They don't, intelligent people understand the concept of leaving the door open a crack, so stating it over and over again is redundant.
 Demidar
Msg: 29
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 2/10/2015 8:52:41 PM
Newest theory , the universe has always been here aka no big bang .
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 30
A Theory of Theories
Posted: 2/27/2015 5:48:03 PM
^

the universe has always been here aka no big bang

Yeah sure, kinda like my hemorrhoids...they've "always been there"
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >