Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 blonde chickie
Msg: 27
Hug or a Hand Shake?Page 7 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
^^^^^^^
You betcha dude
 lilmslefty
Msg: 28
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/8/2008 8:09:30 PM
Here's what works for me. I discuss beforehand what's comfortable for both of us. That way, there's no awkward or embarrassing moments at the beginning and/or end of the first date/meeting.
 jojoaus
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/8/2008 11:15:56 PM
Only met 4 guys from here. With the first 3 it was just a happy grin and a Hello!! The 4th stuck his hand out so... I shook it! I ended all 4 'meets' with a hand on his shoulder and a light kiss on his cheek... they were all nice genuine men...

Am still with Mr. Handshake a year later though... who would have guessed!!
 arwen52
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/10/2008 7:36:05 AM
I'm pretty uncomfortable with a man I don't know giving me a hug. It violates my boundaries. It's presumptuous of him to think he can have that much physical contact with me without my permission.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/10/2008 9:42:55 AM
As far as a meeting gesture, a handshake is rarely thought of as rude, or invasive of personal space. I'm always agreeable to a greeting handshake, not so much with a hug from a strange person (who may be trying to see where my wallet is...)

I'm not usually into hugs unless I feel real affection. As for parting gestures, a handshake may be polite, but it's not going anywhere, and definitely puts an end to the meeting, but it's easy to transition from a hug to anywhere else, including a handshake.

I generally interpret a handshake at the end of a date as "there won't be a second date."

I say keep the options open until you're sure.
 Teddybear1950
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/10/2008 10:29:01 AM
Handshake in the beginning and maybe a hug at the end of a first meeting.
It would depend on how well we got along and I would always ask the ladys permission.
I will send a in an e-mail, but that is because I am a Christian and we are use to giving out hugs to complete strangers.
 fancynanci
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/10/2008 11:12:00 AM
if he's really cute, I'll hug him
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 35
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/11/2008 5:00:08 PM
It's up to the girl.

I can tell in a glance if it's gonna be a hug or handshake.
when we meet and when we part.

I'm OK with either.
(or neither. Some girls are very shy).
 OutMind
Msg: 36
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/11/2008 6:16:41 PM
Never handshake. I come from a country that kisses. So I always kiss. It's kind of disarming at first, but even women that are too uptight actually then tell you how it was a touch of fresh air and enjoyed it. It's interesting because you may be at a gathering or party and you go around kissing all these women and suddenly you run across a woman with a big shell. She blocks by leaning back and extending that handshake like a karate chop. You handshake. Then the same woman an hour later comes to you and actually gives you a kiss. Interesting.
 the_phantom_scribbler
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:08:44 PM
I'm always up for a hug! How could you not be? But at first meet, yeah probably best left reserved. If she wants a hug sure I'd hug, but probably start off with a handshake. I guess it depends on how long you've been talking and how comfortable you both are.

Sliding Leg Tackle, now that takes some Class. Can I borrow that?
 celts123
Msg: 39
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/12/2008 3:14:12 PM
I think a handshake is appriorate for the beginning of the first date. If the date was okay, then I would give a man a hug at the end. If the date went very well, then I might kiss him.

I agree with this. I would give a handshake at the beginning of the date and a hug ( or kiss if the date was great ) at the end of the date unless it is a really bad date or there was an obvious lack of mutual interest.
 10of6
Msg: 40
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/12/2008 3:42:25 PM
I insist on doing those jumping chest-smacks, like after you sink the trey that won the game. Can't remember the "legit" term for them. Of course, that means that more lushly endowed women are easier on the sternum.
 Noebelle
Msg: 41
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/12/2008 8:42:29 PM
Depends on how long I have been communicating with them, the topics we have discussed, etc., However, I am very spatially oriented and don't like people too close to my body that I don't know...so I doubt very much I would hug - that'd be very unlike me.
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 42
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 11/12/2008 8:51:24 PM
usually a handshake is as friends and not knowing the person too well. If the man and I have been talking for a while and have alredy established a chemistryI go for a hug most definately :)
 10of6
Msg: 44
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 12/17/2008 4:02:37 PM

...how do you greet a person you meet from a dating website?
I prefer the time-honored ass pinch. At least my Italian side does.
 mrjohnny5
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 1/9/2009 3:58:33 AM
It depends on how long and how comfortable my conversation was with my date prior to meeting.

If it was a good conversation then I'd go with the french greeting (hand shake + kiss on the cheek). If it was more formal then I'd go only with the handshake.
 *buzz*
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 1/10/2009 1:59:20 PM
Ohhh ... I like a hand shake. It tells you quite a lot.

When we are more acquainted a hug may follow. I'm not jumping a queue there
 *buzz*
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 1/15/2009 1:08:24 PM
So, I am very careful when a women offers me a handshake.

Man's perspective never ceases to amaze me.

Firm grip and eye contact at the same time feel great. Both speak for confidence, positive attitude, happy in his own skin ...
 Wombat59
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 1/15/2009 2:09:13 PM
Hug definitely - I'm a big fan of hugs!!!
 Ender330
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 1/15/2009 3:11:04 PM
mix it up...give em the right hand while you reach around and hug with the left hand and the for the clinch give them a smack lightly on the cheek!!! This leaves them all confused...
If they give you the hand...then you can always kiss it...that gets them also...
 *buzz*
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 1/17/2009 8:46:42 AM
Well, call me crazy, but I don't want to hurt her...I have "men-hands".

Ahh ... 'zuglo', I would never think for a second that a firm grip of man's hand could hurt her.
Man's hand feels wonderful as in some way it projects inner world a man is living in. Besides, we are talking about introduction or acknowledgement here. So the hand-shake is our (re)presentation.
Oh yes, I do like hand shake as a little tiny c l u e
 eurusd
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 1/24/2009 11:05:21 PM
hug is better than shake, warms up quicker, breaks the ice
hugs & and kiss even better :)))
 michelynn
Msg: 57
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 2/11/2009 1:19:31 PM
I've done the hug, the peck on the cheek and I have done no touching at all when greeting someone for a first time meet. I prefer the hug because I am affectionate and enjoy the physical contact but I try to read body languange to determine whether that hug would be welcome or not. If it seems welcome AND I think he is really cute he will get a peck on the cheek as well if he doesn't pull away too soon. As for the handshake, I have never had a guy offer his hand for a shake. I don't think I would like it. It seems a bit cold.
 divebich
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 2/21/2009 7:37:41 AM
I never initiate either. On the one hand I think the handshake is is awkward and business-like. On the other hand, I'm not a touchy-feely person unless there's a strong chemistry. Often I feel a big warm smile and "great to finally meet you, bla bla bla" is perfect. But I'll let the guy decide, and either is fine.
 funnygirl2no
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Hug or a Hand Shake?
Posted: 2/21/2009 7:11:03 PM
Have to agree on this. I hug someone Im comfortable with. Just meeting off the Net. is a bit awkward as we have never met in person. I smile and greet my potential new friends with a warm friendly handshake . The end of meeting is usually when I decide to give them an accepting hug.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >