Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 strat657
Msg: 5
Woman won't give out number but asks for yours.Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
LMFAO....And here we are as men wondering why women think we are such ***holes...OP, you have just made their point "Crystal Clear".....Dude....It's called respect...You give it, you get it....If YOU haven't figured it out yet, trust me when I tell you....WOMEN HAVE!!!
 TitusBreast
Msg: 6
Woman won't give out number but asks for yours.
Posted: 2/11/2008 9:05:14 PM
She didn't want to date you because you look like a lawyer. Beauticians don't like lawyers. Love, Titus
 Mr__Ed
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 5:13:52 PM
Anyone heard from acuteblueeyes? I hope she wasn't right.
 cowboykipp
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/10/2008 5:15:33 PM
I have read some of the responses from some of these women. Some of you are right, and helpful in your advice, but others...are you ladies ABLE to be nice to a guy, even when he's just asking for your help? Seems I have met some of you before, but knew better than to ask you out.
 SweetnSassyNatureLover
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/16/2008 12:06:14 PM
HILARIOUS some of the things on here. Caution is very very good, paranoia is red flag for getting psychiatric help.

OP, you've gotten lots of great input. You said you wouldn't give your number while she cut your hair because of the trainee - yet you don't mind pushing it on her while she is working with another client? HHHHmmmm.

I usually do not give my number out. I will take a guys number and yes sometimes it is an easy way to say I am not interested but not always. Am I being cowardly? Maybe, but I just don't want to deal with the bitter attitude then men have given me when I have declined to give or take their number.

If I am interested, I will ASK for a guy's number if he hasn't already asked or offered. And on the rare occassion that I am feeling really brave and bold and very very interested I will make the move and give my number to a guy - this is rare. Why, safety is a big reason. Not paranoid but definitely cautious.

Do not like the guys that get the number and then call four or more times a day when you haven't even got to the first message. I did that, gave out my number and regretted it. The guy left EIGHT messages in one day. I was gone all day and let me tell you I was NOT happy. I never called him and blocked his number. We hadn't even gone on a date yet. Just as men don't like clingy, pushy overboard women, neither do we women like it in guys. Two messages at most but more and I am totally getting red flags.
 Xcen
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2008 12:18:28 PM
VRO, msg #17
It is refreshing to see one woman respondent with common sense and a brain instead of the usual paranoid "these men are all potential axe murderers" types that exist not only in the cyber world but the real world. You have it exactly correct, cell phone numbers are safe because they really dont track to a physical address and you can always not answer or you can hang up if the caller annoys you. When a woman (or a man) refuses to trade cell phone numbers its time to set red flags flying and move on. As far as the hair dresser goes OP, since you tip well, etc if it were me I would find another hair dresser. She was the rude one, not U.
 want to travel
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2010 6:40:05 AM
she could be married, maybe she feels safer , and does not want a stalker
 Cat*Eyes
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2010 12:12:19 AM
To be safe, I never give my # out until the man is actually coming to meet me, so he can call me, when he gets here. Before that, a man must always give me their # first, so I can call and chat with them a bit. I do usually call the phone # a man gives me just to chat, even if I am not interested, but just to chat and I let them know the reason for call in that situation, which is just to chat, and that I do not have interest in more. I am very honest. Honesty saves time. Sometimes, it is just fun to chat with someone even if their is no interest beyond that point.
 OutMind
Msg: 27
Posted: 6/30/2010 10:41:55 AM
You get back from going out with a couple of your guy friends. One says that he gave his phone number to 12 women. Wow. How awesome. None of them call him. The other guy says he talked to a ton of them, gave away 15 phone numbers and got the phone number of one. He called her and it was a wrong number.

Third guy talked to several ladies, offered zero phone numbers and in the end asked two women for phone numbers. Why not give any numbers? Because most women with throw them away the moment they go home. Because if a woman feels she can trust you, she will give you her number. He created a common point of interest and created a mental scene of the two doing that. E.g. "Wine tasting? I love wine tasting. There's this place close to my house that hold one every thursday. Last time I went they had Malbecs. Have you tried Malbec? Oh, you'd love to. Cool."

So third guy, plays phone tag with girl one, connect with girl 2 and sets up a date. When girl one call, and She wants first billing with a Friday night date, he says that he has plans for that day, but how about next Tuesday.

So the moral of the story. Don't give phone numbers. GET phone numbers. Set it up, then ask.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/30/2010 12:09:16 PM
women have been told "Don't give out your phone number, for safety reasons".

going back quite a few years, to the late teen years when I was in Toronto, was talking with a friend, he met a girl, got to know her over time, he did get her cell phone #, and gave her his phone #, but she said she didn't have a home phone., just the cell"

so anyway they had sex a number of times around town, in parks or subway stations, etc. finally I guess he trusted him enough to take him back to her apratment which she shared with a couple of other girls.

He said that he noticed a telephone on one of the tables and asked her about it, that she had said she didn't have a home phone.

she said: "Oh, yeah, my parents, and then my friends, all told me not to give a home phone # to a gauy, it's safer"

girl logic, I guess_ ? She f*cks the guy in parks, in subway stations, etc, but afraid to give out her home phone # becasue people told her it's not safe?

that's how deepy drilled in some of these things can be.. so there is a hesitation but if she trusts you a bit she will..not hard with reverse phone directories to find name/address for a listed number, though, so caution is understandable

IME- women rarely call men, they wait for the call.. this shoudld be LESS of an issue with cell phones than home phones, though
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2010 12:54:29 PM
on here, when i wanted to move from email to phone, i'd write something like this: 'i'd like to chat on the phone with you. my number is 123-4567. or send me yours, if you prefer to be the one called.'

in every case that led to phone conversation, she gave me hers, and i suspect my willingness to 'go first' made that more comfortable for her.
 Vannili
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2010 11:05:07 AM
She was in full cencentration cutting another man's hair , (means she was BUSY on the job) while you are soliciting her phone# that is very unethical besides her hands are full and it is easier for her that you write your phone # +notes and leave to her counter discreetly. It is against the policy of some company about dating customers and employees. she might get fired on her job...
I have experienced a former employee of where I work called me on the company's phone in kind of chatting while I am at work so busy handing uniforms to employees, to get them to work on their department, and they must not be late clocking in,,,,,and the line was long ,getting their uniforms on designated slot and checking on the computers and he was asking my personal phone # and I can't say it because there are a lot of people/men listening I did not gave him my phone # instead I ask his number and I sounded like it was a business call. Potential romance went down the drain between us. Too bad ,I even have a crush on him. It was a bad moment and wrong timing between us.
I was turn off and did not call him because of his insensitivity, I wonder how he feels if the table was turn on him ??????
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/2/2010 5:46:44 PM

I believe in the simple idea that unless women are suddenly totally reversing roles and approaching men and asking them out...giving her your number is about as useful as tossing it in the trash.

I don't agree, not to that extent.

NOT true at all. Lots of girls take guys numbers and then call....

It is true to a certain extent. Lots of girls won't call.

If a guy is active in the dating circuit, approaching women in places and all that, he knows that it's a low % shot that she'll call if she refuses to give out her #. The only times you can really have any expectation is if she's VERY excited about you and is very genuine to a real reason why.

Most women are not REALLY that interested in a guy if they REFUSE to give out their #. What's the point of refusing it? He'll get your # when you text him or call him.

A vast majority of the time, if she's not visibly very exited about you to show otherwise, it's just a "Ehhh, I'm not all that about you, but who knows, maybe I'll feel like it some time in the near future to hang out or something. I'll keep you on file for that small chance."
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/14/2010 8:42:12 AM
I never give a woman my phone number if I ask for hers and she will not give me hers, but wants mine.

The way I look at it- most likely she's not interested and doesn't want me to call her, because she's not gonna call me. The only other option is that she is interested, yet she is attempting to take control of when she will call me- leaving me ""waiting"" by the phone. That sets a bad precedent for a relationship IMO.

So why would I give my phone number out in either situation?

I figure a woman who is interested in me will want to give her phone number to me- because she wants me to call her.

of course- that's not always the case. however- would much prefer a woman giving me her number and never returning my call as opposed to my giving her my number and her never calling me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >