Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > This Week In Baseball      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ClearAsClay
Msg: 2501
This Week In BaseballPage 101 of 106    (66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106)
But The Hebrew Hammer walked?

Baseball baseball baseball. The history continues.
 HDready10
Msg: 2502
view profile
History
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 9/13/2012 2:58:16 PM
3 weeks till post season and the rangers are up by 3. not counting chickens before they hatch for sure.
tonights crowd at arlington should push attendance over the 3 million mark, only the 23rd time in mlb history.
them rangers have came a long way.
 PGL7
Msg: 2503
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 9/13/2012 5:59:28 PM
Big Game tonight (rain delay) Tigers/ White Sox.
Tigers have owned the Pale Hose the last couple of weeks but need this win to tie the division.

Both must win the division to get into playoffs.

Go Get em Tigers!
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 2504
view profile
History
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 9/25/2012 6:19:21 AM
No one should be talking about any other team than the Nationals! Be afraid, very afraid!!
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2505
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/3/2012 8:02:01 PM
Give it up for the Oakland A'a; winners of the Al west!
Glad to see them kick the rangers in the proverbial nuts on the final game of the season!

Yankees win the Al east by beating the lowly Red-sox!
Folks thought that a Boston-NYY series this late was gonna be interesting!
Who would have thunk it; Boston in da cellar!

Kudos to Carbrera of Detroit for winning the triple!
 PGL7
Msg: 2506
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/3/2012 8:13:05 PM
The Tigers now have the last two American League MVP's.
Time for them to now add a WS.
 Blalah
Msg: 2507
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/6/2012 7:48:52 PM
The best thing that could have happened to the Braves was for them to lose after watching
the fiasco their fans made in that last game.

Four games tomorrow along with three football games and I'm on the wagon.
Oh well I'll make up for it -

Go Giants and Niners!
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2508
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/12/2012 9:13:05 PM
Yankees top the orioles in 5!
Its off against Detroit
Yankees are due for a win
The winners of this series will win it all!
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 2509
view profile
History
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/13/2012 6:18:21 AM
I feel just awful for the Nationals. The management should have pulled Gonzalez sooner and the rest of the pitchers were inconsistent which was a huge part of that loss. Espinoza f'd up big time by missing that hit to short as well....I also felt embarrassed for Bryce Howard as he reached way out of his range causing his strike out. That was definitely the 19 yr old kid scared out of his wits....It seemed like the last 3 batters really just wanted it to be over

There were no heroic catches or anything that would prove either team was seriously above the other, but the Nats youth (in other words lack of experience) did have an impact. DC really needed the lift the Nats brought this season so there's that....Maybe next year!

I just thank God I'ma Yankess fan!! WHOO HOO
 PGL7
Msg: 2510
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/13/2012 10:17:20 PM
Tigers take Game 1
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 2511
view profile
History
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/14/2012 5:39:11 AM
Yeah and look what happened...I have no doubt that the Yankees will still prevail and win without Jeter, yes, but also FOR him because that's what they do and how they feel about this remarkable man....Even the Tigers were devastated and that says something
 PGL7
Msg: 2512
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/14/2012 2:59:26 PM
Other than the fact that Jeter is from Michigan the Tigers could care less in fact they are quite happy that there is one less bat in the Yankee lineup.
This will be like last year and 06.
Detroit is just a better Team.
Remember also the Tigers have been without their cleanup hitter, Martinez all season.
No excuses just results.
 HDready10
Msg: 2513
view profile
History
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/14/2012 4:51:16 PM
Yule liquor-> Glad to see them kick the rangers in the proverbial nuts

who could have saw that coming one of the most biggest meltdowns in sports history. if it were football the coaching would be fired. rangers were up 13 games to the a's and blew it. i dont know what is was worse losing a world series game clincher or a total collapse. losing lewis for the season and ogando to tha bull pen was huge, between those two last year combined for 27 wins. pitching beats hitting we all found that out in the last two world series.

the last two nl teams to play in the world series are in the nlcs again this year. tony larussa maybe kicking himself for having a another possible title slipping out from under his belt.

tigers up 2 and 0
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2514
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/14/2012 10:25:21 PM
@Petgrace

Yeah and look what happened...I have no doubt that the Yankees will still prevail and win without Jeter, yes, but also FOR him because that's what they do and how they feel about this remarkable man

DJ will make his presence felt in the locker-room; maybe he can say something to wake up some of these sleeping bats! The only guy hitting in the clutch is mainly Ibanez, a DH'er. Don't think that DJ in the line up would be enough, if more than half the team doesn't hit the ball. this is the same thing that happened 1 year ago!
-----------------------------------------------
at PGL

Other than the fact that Jeter is from Michigan

Point of correction; DJ is from New Jersey; he grew up in Michigan and was there until he was drafted; he has no roots there; In fact he now lives in sunny Florida and has been living there for years (as many other baseball players are).

This will be like last year and 06.
Detroit is just a better Team.
Remember also the Tigers have been without their cleanup hitter, Martinez all season.
No excuses just results.

What you are forgetting is that the Yankees are one of the most dangerous teams in MLB with or without DJ; just when you think you have them beat, they can come right back and bite you in the ass. They still have dangerous hitters in their line up; they can wake up at anytime! Both teams have good pitching!

If the Tigers are truly better, then they should win
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Hready

Yule liquor-> Glad to see them kick the rangers in the proverbial nuts
who could have saw that coming one of the most biggest meltdowns in sports history. if it were football the coaching would be fired. rangers were up 13 games to the a's and blew it. i dont know what is was worse losing a world series game clincher or a total collapse. losing lewis for the season and ogando to tha bull pen was huge, between those two last year combined for 27 wins. pitching beats hitting we all found that out in the last two world series.

most savvy baseball pple, or those on the inside could tell if a team is for real or not. I don't follow the rangers that much, but some pple have said that the Rangers were not as good as they came across injuries or not (injuries are part of the game!); and you can't blame the 'meltdown' on the loss of those 2 players alone. A solid team can deal with the pressure of a pennant race, they find ways to win! Weaker teams can't. We saw that with the Red-sox in 2011, which was even worse than what happened to the rangers. In baseball, you can't always remedy this problem by firing the manager. It didn't work for the Redsox! Its a deep seated problem.
 HDready10
Msg: 2515
view profile
History
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/17/2012 3:21:28 PM
Yule liquor-> you can't blame the 'meltdown' on the loss of those 2 players alone.

its very possible and to add to that neftali felix was out this year who was a big factor last year. all three of these players I've named were the top pitchers for the rangers last year.
not too mention the josh hamilton situation who now will be testing free agency. i hope he returns.

so i'll just sit back and watch other teams play in the world series, be like the old days

tigers up 3 and 0
 PGL7
Msg: 2516
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/19/2012 12:48:27 AM
Tigers sweep the Yankee's

Well that wasn't much of a challenge now was it?

The Yankees are in a world of hurt.
Old and decrepid, overpaid and bloated.

and there is not much help in the free agency list.

The Tigers spanked em, Goodbye NYY hello STLC.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2517
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/19/2012 5:55:16 AM

The Yankees are in a world of hurt.
Old and decrepid, overpaid and bloated.

That is what they say about the Yanks every year, but they manage to make the playoffs every-year; its rare indeed when you have a post-season without the Yankees in it; and they'll be there again! The management won't have it any other way!

Well that wasn't much of a challenge now was it?

If the DT don't win the world series with what they have now; they NEVER will. You just gotta hope they don't choke again!
 PGL7
Msg: 2518
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/19/2012 8:25:13 PM

If the DT don't win the world series with what they have now; they NEVER will. You just gotta hope they don't choke again!

Not sure when Detroit chocked last?
I don't think with there pitching they will lose this year regardless of which NL team shows up.

The Yankees did not choke this year either they were beaten by a superior team!

As for the Yankees prospects it's not preety. They need a retooling but what do they have.
They will have to eat Arods massive contract even if they do trade him.
Swisher is done in NY, Jeter will be out at the start of the season and will not duplicate his season.
What pitching do they have? Andy Petite? CC Sabathia? Hughes?... Really now do they scare anyone?

Detroit will need to re-sign Sanchez but the Tigers will also get the biggest free agent of the off season... the return of Victor Martinez after missing the entire 2012 season.

It will be a fun winter in Detroit celebrating a WS title and running to a repeat!
 PGL7
Msg: 2519
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/19/2012 8:25:39 PM
Sorry, Ground Rule Double!
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2520
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/20/2012 6:50:08 AM

Not sure when Detroit chocked last?

From what I recall, after beating the Yanks; most pple had picked them to beat Texas in 2011 and go to the WS.

The Yankees did not choke this year either they were beaten by a superior team!

I agree that DT were the better team, but the yanks under-performed offensively; they could have done better.

They will have to eat Arods massive contract even if they do trade him.

A-rod isn't going anywhere; its unlikely the Yanks will eat his contract like they did with Burnett.

Swisher is done in NY, Jeter will be out at the start of the season and will not duplicate his season.

swisher may be out; but DJ will be back in form (unless his injury doesn' t heal properly); he is rock solid otherwise!

It will be a fun winter in Detroit celebrating a WS title

Will it? If you are that sure your boys won't sputter, then it why don't you bet all your possessions on that very outcome!

What pitching do they have? Andy Petite? CC Sabathia? Hughes?... Really now do they scare anyone?

Yanks problems have not been with the pitching. The yanks have won their division every year since 2009 with these very same pitchers; that is something most teams can only dream of doing!

But feast your eyes on the free agent pitchers for 2013; and the Yanks can have the pick of the litter!

Starting pitchers
Scott Baker (31) - $9.25MM club option
Erik Bedard (34)
Joe Blanton (32)
Bartolo Colon (40)
Aaron Cook (34)
Kevin Correia (32)
Jorge De La Rosa (32) - $11MM player option with a $1MM buyout
Ryan Dempster (36)
R.A.****y (38) - $5MM club option with a $300K buyout
Scott Feldman (29) - $9.25MM club option with a $600K buyout
Jeff Francis (32)
Gavin Floyd (30) - $9.5MM club option
Freddy Garcia (37)
Zack Greinke (28)
Jeremy Guthrie (34)
Rich Harden (31)
Dan Haren (32) - $15.5MM club option with a $3.5MM buyout
Roberto Hernandez (32) - $6MM club option (Reduced from $9MM after contract was restructured)
Tim Hudson (37) - $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Edwin Jackson (29)
Hiroki Kuroda (38)
Francisco Liriano (29)
Kyle Lohse (34)
Derek Lowe (40)
Paul Maholm (31) - $6.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Shaun Marcum (31)
Jason Marquis (34)
Daisuke Matsuzaka (32)
Brandon McCarthy (29)
Kevin Millwood (38)
Jamie Moyer (50)
Roy Oswalt (35)
Carl Pavano (37)
Jake Peavy (31) - $22MM club option with a $4MM buyout
Anibal Sanchez (29)
Jonathan Sanchez (30)
Ervin Santana (30) - $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Joe Saunders (32)
James Shields (31) - $9MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
Carlos Villanueva (29)
Chien-Ming Wang (33)
Kip Wells (36)
Randy Wolf (36)
Chris Young (34)
Carlos Zambrano (32)
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 2521
view profile
History
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/20/2012 10:31:29 AM

A-rod isn't going anywhere; its unlikely the Yanks will eat his contract like they did with Burnett.

From what I can gather, the Yankees will more than likely sit his ass on the bench while continuing to pay him, since he has a "no trade" clause in his contract. The Yanks are my boys and always have been, but Alex is an unstable primadonna. The fact that he was signing balls with his phone number and throwing them to female fans DURING the playoffs just shows how far he has fallen since his divorce...

As far as Jeter's injury, they say it will be 4 to 5 months before he can play again and that's way before the season starts. You can bet your ass he will be doing everything he can to be ready for the season and probably the last half of training.

People just hate the Yankees because they are so good. They throw out the weak "They are only good because they have unlimited resources" but so what? Spend the money if you have it I say. And since you can't literally "buy" the talent these guys have, it's about skill and nothing else. Do they attract the best players (money or not)? Well shit yes, who wouldn't want to play for them?? Besides the haters that is...
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2522
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/20/2012 7:47:32 PM

the Yankees will more than likely sit his ass on the bench while continuing to pay him, since he has a "no trade" clause in his contract. The Yanks are my boys and always have been, but Alex is an unstable primadonna.

Arod will likely have a diminished role with the Yanks next year. They will hope that he asks for a trade. But that will be on his terms; the only place he'd probably go is to the Marlins (he lives in Florida), but the Yanks would have to pay a good part of his salary. The upshot is that he'll be with an NL team and won't conflict with the Yankees; whether or not the Yankee organization will want to do that (as they did for Burnett who went to the Pirates) is questionable, especially if they can't get anything in return. The good thing about having Arod is that he can usually hit pretty well against bad pitching in non pressure situations, which is helpful during the course of the season in the W/L columns
 PGL7
Msg: 2523
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/20/2012 8:21:46 PM

Yanks problems have not been with the pitching. The yanks have won their division every year since 2009 with these very same pitchers; that is something most teams can only dream of doing!

I guess that is if you forget about 2010 when Tampa Bay won the division!

As for players wantting to go there this winter only time will tell but it looked a lot like the mess in Boston at the end of that thumping by the Tigers.
If ARod wasn't trying to pick up women in the crowd he was hamming it up for the crowd and then Granderson and him huddled togeather in the dougout was also disturbing.
Granderson is still loved in Detroit but it is scary if he is influeneced by that cancer named Arod.
As for Jeter he is another year older and recovering (5 mth minimum) from a serious injury.

As for the Yankees not having pitching problems... Did you not see the ace of the Yankee staff get lit up?
Now they are saying Sabathia may require elbow surgery for a bone spur.
It's going to be a long winter and a longer summer in NYY land.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2524
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/21/2012 3:20:42 PM

I guess that is if you forget about 2010 when Tampa Bay won the division!

My bad! But at least they made the playoffs.
Oh, and that was the same year the DT were hardly in the race, finishing 13 games out!

but it looked a lot like the mess in Boston at the end of that thumping

Comparing the Yankees playoff outcome, to the Redsox situation is about as absurd as it gets.

Granderson is still loved in Detroit but it is scary if he is influeneced by that cancer named Arod.

I very much doubt that CG will remain with the Yankees next season, despite his numbers there was a reason why Leyland didn't value him that much

As for Jeter he is another year older and recovering (5 mth minimum) from a serious injury.

Even if he is late for spring training, DJ will be there in full form when it matters the most.

As for the Yankees not having pitching problems... Did you not see the ace of the Yankee staff get lit up?

don't be ridiculous man; it was only 1 game! And verlander never got lit up? I seem to recall he got nailed by the Yanks in one of last year's playoff games.

Now they are saying Sabathia may require elbow surgery for a bone spur.

so what! Pitchers have made good comebacks even after having tomy-john surgery. Whats the big deal of a bone spur

It's going to be a long winter and a longer summer in NYY land.

Ya think? What you don't realize is that the Yankee organization works harder than any other EVERY off-season; which is one of the reasons why they stay competitive all the time. BE GLAD the DT are not in the AL east!
 petebelongs
Msg: 2525
view profile
History
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 10/22/2012 6:33:59 AM
The Giants have survived an amazing 5th elimination game this post season and look to win a 6th elimination game to get them into the World Series. Quite a feat of "backs to the wall" baseball victories!
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > This Week In Baseball