Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > This Week In Baseball      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 51
This Week In BaseballPage 3 of 106    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Brandon Backe and Yadier Molina got into it today. Nothing serious, but it cleared the benches.

Sadly, that was the most interesting part of the game.
 blondblueyed
Msg: 52
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 4/27/2008 5:27:36 PM

It's good to see a Rays fan, by the way.

Thanks there’s a few of us.

Here's hoping Beckett can break the Sox' 4 game, somewhat flu induced skid. To lose like that on your second to last hitter - tough.

Utterly amazed, Rays fought for every bit of this series, great pitching on both sides it’s never easy with the Sawx.

And,Carlos Pena is only having a fraction of a year(1/100th!!!)as he did last year.

He’s been hurt still sore.

I think,Bartlett should leadoff,Langoria should bat second.

If anybody gets moved up it’s CC back to lead off with Upton batting second with the speed and steals. Bartlett’s BA is lower than Aki’s.

Wait! If it ain't broke,why fix it?

Exactly! Shush, now.

Gonna go watch the rest of the Tigers/Angels. Oh we oh, MAGGLIO!
 blondblueyed
Msg: 53
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 4/28/2008 3:27:36 PM
I am sure if they feel he needs to be on the DL they will do it, he’s too key of a player to be taking chances. I’m still stunned by two sweeps in a row.

The Tigers had been coming back, they just can’t seem to get any consistency going right now.

Pretty soon, it’s time to go root against the Yanks.
 new york kid
Msg: 54
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 4/28/2008 7:12:24 PM
Mets offense is stumbling, Rays look like they'll make a run for the wild card with their good pitching
 Korrrosive
Msg: 55
view profile
History
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 4/28/2008 7:31:28 PM
I just want to add that it's time to fire Gibbons and JP already. He could have gotten SOMETHING for Frank Thomas. Also, I find it odd that his "mentor" was the one to scoop up Big Hurt. As far as Gibbons is concerned, this is a guy who thinks batting Matt Stairs at leadoff is a good idea (or at least he did several times last year). This 11-15 start is not acceptable.
 blondblueyed
Msg: 56
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 4/28/2008 9:10:32 PM
My plan didn't work, the Yankees won. Can't believe Posada is on the DL, he’s never been on the DL. ARod (btw, congrats to him on a second daughter) tweaked that quad again tonight and may not play tomorrow when they host the Tigers.

I agree about Thomas, I would think they could have gotten something for him.
 blondblueyed
Msg: 57
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 4/29/2008 6:26:58 AM
It’s not unusual for players to work through a lesser injury. My initial guess as to why they haven’t been quick to place him on the DL is they already have quite a few there. The 15 day list counts against your 40 man roster and quite simply a team like this just doesn’t have the depth. It could mean even more changes and possibly they don’t want to leave someone unprotected off that 40 man roster. I haven’t actually read this to be the reason, but all I keep hearing as of now is that he isn’t going and just leads me to think either it isn’t serious enough or there is a behind the scenes roster/options issue. He is slated as of right now to DH, of course if Pena is relegated to the DH until he heals, Gomes as usual will be the odd man out. Gross has been doing well in RF and Hinske has been a gem so far.

Usually if it isn’t the Rays involved, I am neutral and just enjoy the games, but then again the rays have never held a position to worry about getting knocked out of this “late” in the season. Kruckie likes us so I guess we’ll get a few raves on ESPN from time to time.

What’s wrong with the Mets? Oh duh! Phllies/Mets same division, rivals, got it!!! LOL.
I wonder how long hell will be frozen over errr, I mean the Rays and O's at the top of AL East.

Uncle Fist
Msg: 58
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 4/29/2008 9:21:39 PM

Rays look like they'll make a run for the wild card with their good pitching

This was my main prediction for this year.

Actually, my exact prediction was, "Tampa Bay will win the wild card after exorcising the devil from their team name."
 Big Huggy
Msg: 59
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/11/2008 9:29:07 AM
Okay, seriously.....can anybody even remotely tell me what was going through Ritchie Sexson's head the other night? It sure wasn't going to be a baseball...I honestly think he had his mind made up to charge, he closed his eyes, heard the pop of the mitt and then just charged. And then, after looking at the replay (you know he has had to have seen it and realized that he looked like a fool), he appealed the suspension? A real man would have called up Bob Watson and said "Bob, really, I probably need another 4 games added on to that for the shear stupidity of it all, plus a public apology to Kason Gabbard and the Texas fans, and buy everyone a hot dog and beer the next time Seattle is in Texas." But no, he appealed, blamed it on his son being in the hospital the night before (poor kid, think he'll be proud when he's older?), and that he realized that Texas would probably hit him because Hernandez was hitting Texas batters....dude, I think the Rangers would rather hit Bettancourt or somebody else hitting better than .209, don't you? You're a sure out....why give that up? Ah....good times.
 blondblueyed
Msg: 60
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/11/2008 3:15:53 PM

Great job Jamie Shields a 1 hitter Friday. Carlos Pena 2 for 4 Friday. Gt them both on my fantasy team. Penas leg must be getting better.

Sorry about my mistakes last night………..Tired Red Sox and Yankees.

Well, I for one am flabbergasted that the Rays are still hanging in there Another sweep, my heavens! I knew the pitching was starting to come around, but in the past when we “seem” to have had a decent rotation they wouldn’t all be performing well at the same time. It’s been another good week. Pena’ s leg has been fine, so that was probably it just not serious enough to keep him out.

No sweat on the typos, we all muff it sometimes, I still understood what you wrote.

There are some teams when they play each other I never get tired of seeing because they are usually really good games, even the Sawx and Yanks.

Okay, seriously.....can anybody even remotely tell me what was going through Ritchie Sexson's head the other night?

I saw the clip, to me it didn’t look like the ball was really that close, perhaps something was going on before that in the game? As you mentioned other players getting hit, maybe. Cut ‘em some slack the M’s are in last and sometimes you need to pull a stunt to get your teammates fired up. Sexson, though is one guy I wouldn’t want to see running at me, the man is huge, ever been up close to him??? Too bad about his kid though.
 Big Huggy
Msg: 61
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/11/2008 9:10:14 PM
The tracker that they have for pitches showed the pitch up at eye level, but it was dead center of the plate....so, no, I don't think that even called for a stunt. Plus the fact that Gabbard had to leave the game after the next batter...no reason whatsoever for that crap. What I would have liked to see was Franklyn German, the pitcher who came in for Gabbard, throw at Sexson....German is 6'8", 298 lbs......now, THAT would have been fun to see.
 steveemac
Msg: 62
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/11/2008 10:23:51 PM
**This Week In Baseball**
I had the pleasure, and the honor, of being the humble busdriver that drove the Carthage College Red Men to the tourney, and I sat in the stands with the parents of those young men that made the drive from Kenosha to Bloomington. I have to say, these guys could have easily rolled over and died early, as IWU had many advantages: their home field/fans/beds to sleep in, while the Carthage boys stayed the two nights at a local motel that was the absolute worst one I have ever stayed in (and I've stayed in a lot), including the nearly-rancid scrambled eggs they served for breakfast, the saggy beds, and the ant infestations...yet they gave IWU all they could want, and some they didn't. Wesleyan had to earn it; and that final 17-7 score isn't real indicative of how close thae final game actually was; the wheels came off the Red Men's cart in the bottom of the seventh, when IWU scored eight runs...by then, Carthage was on their last pitcher.
Carthage's season isn't over; although the story below doesn't mention it, they were invited to the NCAA regional as an at-large entry. IWU will be the #1 seed in that tourney, based on their CCIW championship.

What, does it always have to be about "Major" League Baseball?

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. -- A 17-7 win over Carthage in the final game of the 2008 College Conference of Illinois & Wisconsin (CCIW) Baseball Tournament Saturday earned Illinois Wesleyan its first tournament title since 2005 and a trip to the NCAA Regional.
The Titans, winners of the CCIW regular season title with a 33-9 record (18-3 in conference), will make their second straight trip to NCAA Regional play while Saturday's win was their fourth tournament title in school history.
Carthage finished second in the conference standings during the regular season, going 17-4 against CCIW competition (35-8 overall).
Illinois Wesleyan advances to play in the Central Regional May 14-18, hosted by CCIW member Augustana.

CCIW Baseball Tournament Results

Thursday, May 8, 2008
Game One: #1 Illinois Wesleyan 7, #4 Wheaton 5
Game Two: #3 Augustana 6, #2 Carthage 5

Friday, May 9, 2008
Game Three: Illinois Wesleyan 6, Augustana 0 (IWU advances to championship round)
Game Four: Carthage 9, Wheaton 1(Wheaton Eliminated)
Game Five: Carthage 12, Augustana 5(Augustana Eliminated)

Saturday, May 10, 2008
Game Six: Carthage 9, Illinois Wesleyan 4
Game Seven: Illinois Wesleyan 17, Carthage 7
 blondblueyed
Msg: 63
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/12/2008 5:09:34 PM
^^^^Guess not, but I usually only get to see a few Seminole and Gators games a year. Other than that don’t watch much college sports.

What I would have liked to see was Franklyn German, the pitcher who came in for Gabbard, throw at Sexson....German is 6'8", 298 lbs......now, THAT would have been fun to see.

Yea, then he gets tossed for “intent”, not a good idea. Btw, what do you think of Hamilton?

Love to see youf Rays with the good young players they have.

Another sweep, they continue to blow me away, the uni’s are growing on me, still hate that damn sunburst, but playing over 500, hey, I’ll live. Hopefully they can keep it going against the Yanks.

I feel for Jays, losing Wells and another pitcher.
 blondblueyed
Msg: 64
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/12/2008 6:08:32 PM

you seem to be a nice oerson to know.

Some here may beg to differ.

I like talkinp to people who follow all baseball, not just their fav.

I am probably worse then some guys, got the Rays/Yanks on switching to the Sawx/Twins during commercials and the Gameday up on the computer scanning the scoreboards.

You and I get to watch 2 great 2nd baseman in Dan Uggla and Chase Utley.

I see Uggla occasionally when I watch the Marlins if they aren’t on opposite the Rays. I think Iwamura has done a pretty good job at 2B since moving from 3B and he was no slouch there.
 Big Huggy
Msg: 65
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/12/2008 6:24:38 PM
Hamilton is becoming my favorite player on this team. He has a great attitude, runs like the wind, hits the ball harder than I have ever seen, and plays the game right. He can definitely become a 5 tool player easily, because he also has a cannon for an arm. Most people around here are upset that we gave away Volquez because of how he is pitching now, but he hadn't done it here and Hamilton is the center fielder we have been needing. I am also liking David Murphy, who we got from Boston in the Gagne trade last year....he's a Baylor boy from Texas, and he is having a nice little rookie season.
 Kaos86
Msg: 66
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/14/2008 12:06:19 AM
The best all time..

wow

1. Koufax
2. Bench
3. Gehrig
4. Morgan
5. Schmidt
6. Ripkin
7, Williams
8. Mays
9.Ruth
 blondblueyed
Msg: 67
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/14/2008 4:37:21 AM

Hamilton is becoming my favorite player on this team.

I have no doubt, he has always had the potential. I was sorry to see Josh go, but it was understandable. There were too many problems off the field, abuse issues and then baby Momma drama going on with him for so many years. Finally between him, the DRO and even after awhile the fans it was best for all concerned to let him go. I am glad to see him finally get to show his ability though because he is a very , very good all around ball player and a very personable guy. I saw him do things in the minors, in ST camp and instructional league play that would just blow you away.

I made a mistake, I meant B.J. Upton.

BJ, did a fine job at 2b but he is much, much more suited for the OF as much as I like Rocco, I think he has lost his job.

A few years ago my brother asked me who I thought was the all time best at each position, Who would you list?

Yes, might want to start another thread, don’t want this deleted for going too far off topic. I believe there was one awhile back though it might not have been restricted to baseball but any sport. It also sort of falls into the category of a list thread which is kind of frowned upon here.

Great game last night, even the Yanks have some good things to say about the Rays and coming from them it is great considering they were kind of mad at us in ST. Half a game ahead, I’ll take it, first time ever they have been in that position in May.

Then on the flip side to what seems to be a fairly exciting season for most teams you have the revamped indictments on Bonds. So, looks like Roger and Barry will fight for headlines.
 Kaos86
Msg: 68
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/14/2008 1:28:05 PM
blonde, the topic is baseball!
It's a fair discussion for this forum.
 blondblueyed
Msg: 69
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/14/2008 8:26:07 PM
Rays and Sox lost so no change in the standings there.

Anybody catch the play by Manny ? Might want to check out the clip from their game against the O’s on the Boston site. Though I personally appreciated the grand slam by Payton.

Stairs got a grand slam for one Toronto as well.

Kind of ironic that a day after new indictments come down on Bonds, new drug policy revisions are approved by MLB and the MLBPA.

It's a fair discussion for this forum.

You named the thread “ This Week in baseball” not “All-time” teams, players and so forth. By all means, if you don’t care if your thread gets deleted for being off topic to your thread title then knock yourself out.
 blondblueyed
Msg: 70
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/17/2008 9:42:05 AM
^^^^^^^Not going to make any friends that way! Just kidding.

It’s been a pretty good week.
Long terms contracts for Hanley Ramirez and Scott Kazmir.

Hamilton leads in RBI adding 5 last night. Werth with three homers against the Jays. The old man Chipper with the best BA and most hits.

Gotta give some love to the pitchers Webb with 9 wins, Saunders with 7, Cliff Lee is
6-0 with a 0.67 ERA.

My Rays are still in first place and Andy Sonnanstine can actually hit, will wonders never cease?

Almost time for Saturday afternoon baseball.
 Big Huggy
Msg: 71
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/17/2008 10:27:13 AM
Hamilton......that dude is a total stud. Came to the plate last night, needing a double for the cycle....and took a walk. Not many players in today's "me" era that would do that. I think his past troubles gives him more of a team player attitude, which is what the Rangers need....plus the fact that he can hit the freakin' cover off the ball! Rangers......1 game from .500......who'd a thunk it!!
 dunrich
Msg: 72
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/17/2008 7:38:15 PM
As a Jays fan, the hardest time for cheering for them is when they play the Tigers. As a kid raised in Windsor, before there was a Canadian ML team, I spent many wonderful afternoons at old Tiger Stadium with my Grand Dad . LOL, I still feel like a traitor when I cheer for the Jays when they play Detroit.

This year I have no idea who I think will win it, its been a very surprising season so far. All I know is I have never seen such a streaky team as my Jays, as I have this year. So much talent, yet no consistency. Pity, I really thought they might have a chance this year!

Only good thing, is I know the damn Yankees wont do it either, lol.
 Big Huggy
Msg: 73
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/18/2008 6:45:22 AM
O.......M.......G!! Rays in first, Yanks in last.....Rangers at .500 with 7 series wins in a row.....cats and dogs sleeping together........what in the wide, wide world of sports is goin' on here??!!
 *Heyzus*
Msg: 74
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/18/2008 3:26:38 PM
I personally don't know what to say. I have a friend named Dugout_Groupie..whos a huge A-Rod stalker..Well let me clarify that for all you pervs...out there. I don't mean a stalker of a rod..but she stalks Alex Rodriguez.. I personaly could care less for the Yankess...I like to pull for the Braves.
 arsnl1886
Msg: 75
This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/18/2008 6:59:31 PM
The cincy reds just swept the indians.Could'nt be happier.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > This Week In Baseball