Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pebbles_2006
Msg: 121
Does Friends first ever really work?Page 5 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
I am not new to the Online dating world, I've used this Plenty of fish for awhile & have met remarkable Friends & Dated Remarkable guys as well. Its something I would even recommend to my friends (that included the friend that I was talking about). But to be quite honest, I know it felt like 2 months was wasted but when you sum up but to be honest,
"what has happen its more of his loss than it is mine, bec he never made an effort to know what he loss till its gone".

He has gone through so much in previous relationships (especially the most recent one) & us meeting online that night for 2 months-- that meeting me would have been a BLESSING IN DISGUISE but that is LIFE, As I said on my Profile- "DONT LET YOUR PAST DICTATE YOU WHO YOU ARE BUT LET IT BE A PART OF WHO YOU WILL BECOME".

Its nothing that I regret emotionally, but it was more of "WASTE OF MY TIME" that
I regret that I invested time/effort to someone that WASN'T WORTH MY TIME @ all.

I've moved on Actually, Met remarkable guys from here, recently-- real who's Honest, Sweet, and Funny and that lives in town". Also came across Old friends from here,
that I've known Offline from awhile back. Starting a new job & Been hanging out with friends/family, so I am all set. So there is no sense of Dwelling over this GUY from Okanagan, that was as I said A WASTE . HE LOST A FRIENDSHIP THAT COULD've DEVELOP into something MORE, But as they say, YOU MAKE DECISION OUT OF HAZE THEN ITS TOO LATE TO TURN BACK BEC YOU'VE ALREADY BEEN REPLACED.

I was basically responding to a Forum that is how this all started.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 122
Does Friends first ever really work?
Posted: 7/26/2008 8:39:57 AM
there is chemistry only about 1 in 3 times, and the other 2 end up as a nice, polite dinner with someone, that will never lead to a 2nd date.

Wow....I WISH that were the case, 1 in 3 - that'd be awesome...unfortunately, for me it's more like 1 in 10...granted, most I never even want to meet to begin with, but for those I do meet, I rarely end up interested.

Real life works better for me anyway....but perhaps it's the region I live in...
 pebbles_2006
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/26/2008 8:43:31 AM
I've moved on Actually, Met remarkable guys from here, recently-- real who's Honest, Sweet, and Funny and that lives in town". Also came across Old friends from here,
that I've known Offline from awhile back. Starting a new job & Been hanging out with friends/family, so I am all set. So there is no sense of Dwelling over this GUY from Okanagan, that was as I said A WASTE . HE LOST A FRIENDSHIP THAT COULD've DEVELOP into something MORE, But as they say, YOU MAKE DECISION OUT OF HAZE THEN ITS TOO LATE TO TURN BACK BEC YOU'VE ALREADY BEEN REPLACED.
--------------------
So if you read the entire Forum, I've moved on.End of story, Renaissance Man 1950.
 smileee4u
Msg: 124
Posted: 7/26/2008 12:42:39 PM
The reason why it works for the woman is because if you haven't had sex with her.... then you still want to have sex with her. Your desire is higher and stronger than if she had given it to you sooner. You want her so bad, it hurts. So, she has the upper hand. Once you have sex with her, you have the upper hand. She will overcompensate for you, hoping you will return the favor, and hope you will feel love for her. But, once a man has sex too soon, he does not respect her. The hunt is over. She has extinguished his fire by giving it too soon. He will lose desire for her. He will not value her, and if she overcompensates by preparing special meals, or waiting around for him to call, or waiting for him, while he is out with his buddies, then he will not appreciate her extra effort. So, for the female, it is better to remain "friends first".

If you demand sex too soon, then you decide to drop her.... the damage is done to her.... not you. I know it hurts for you to wait, and your desire for her will swell and hurt if you wait.... and if she rejects you, you will be brokenhearted.... but if she gives it to you too soon, and you disrespect her for it, and drop her..... then she will be brokenhearted.
 Merrylass
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 1:49:08 PM

So, she has the upper hand.

What is this - Machiavelli's School of Seduction Techniques? Ye gods! Maybe there are some women who are that calculating. Others of us just aren't interested in bumping uglies with all and sundry and want to find there's more to our connection than the pull of biology.
 irishgirl4you
Msg: 126
Posted: 7/26/2008 3:48:37 PM
Dear Renaissance Man.....

Have you ever heard the saying "good things come to those who wait"? Sounds like you need to order up a little Patience...A little narcisstic are we?
 Aleyrebel
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 3:57:14 PM
It depends. Of course you have to be friends, or there is No relationship, just using each other. I always see on here that men want to be "Friends first", then maybe more. The problem with that is that the woman may put them on her friend ladder, instead of the relationship one. If she does, you NEVER move over, unless you were on the relationship one too. I understand you men and the non-commitment thing. They are even saying now, that men view living together as a step BEFORE they get serious. But, come on, what woman is gonna put herself out there and risk getting hurt in a Platonic relationship? If you have an interest show it from day one, I get that all men are bachelors until about 1 mo before they commit, or get engaged, and like to pursue, so pursue already. Make sure she knows up front of your interest, cause if she doesn't, you may not have a chance later when you decide she is pretty cool. Women will be friends with a man she is attracted to, and he'll generally know the difference from friendship with a woman that sees him as just a nice guy. Better hope you are more then the Nice guy to her, or forget it.
 Aleyrebel
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 3:59:36 PM
Amen sister. LOL
 Ghost Shadow
Msg: 129
Posted: 7/28/2008 9:34:06 PM
Op: define "really work".

From your post it sounds like you liked the person, decided to be her friend, did things for her expecting a return ie: a lover, or more to the point sex. We don't know what she thought or felt, we don't know what discussion occured about the type of friendship each of you expected. You say the relationship was great but is wasn't what you expected? If it wasn't how was it great, if she didn't putout or love you in the end, how was it great in between? You "followed" her around, you mean like a stalker? Treated her better then a friend?... meaning just friends in your book don't put out but she was supposed to?
You want a lover, meaning sex, and if friends develops afterwards it's a bonus? So you don't want to get to know the person, you just want the body and the person will follow cuz what? You're a great stud and she won't be able to help herself?
You said you did "lots of stuff for her", but you don't say if you did lots of stuff with her, did she invite you or did you just show up, did you go places together or did you show up where she was, you leave so many questions open.

To answer your question, and please don't hit me over the head, okay? I've made many female friends over the years. Friendships on various levels. Some never went further then friend and guess what? We're still friends today. Others crossed that line and it was exciting at first, then we realized it wasn't and we agreed to be friends, and guess what? We still are! The few special ones that became friends first and as we did things, with other friends, we found or developed a special connection and it turned into a beautiful experience. They lasted a long time but life got in the way and we had to let go. One in particular and we're still friends. There were others, just as in many friendships, who were a part of my life in one way or another and are a memory, as friends or lovers. But they are good memories. There are two or three that were disappointed or disappointing, that left with bad feelings or left bad feelings, but I don't harbor those today.

My point is that I have tried the lover first and friend maybe and those were worthless experiences with no reedeming value or worthy memory except a lesson learned. I'd rather get to know the person, maybe... just maybe I'd like to find out if we have chemistry, interests, passions of common interest. They have a right not to want more then friendship and I can accept the responsibility to respect them for that.... and STILL be their friend and love them, without expectations or demands.

Phew! did I say all that? ... my brain hurts.. I need a friend...
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 130
Posted: 7/28/2008 9:51:36 PM

For me, when I've been in "search" mode, my general approach, if anything goes sideways, or it takes too long, or I hear "let's be friends first"...is to simply say "NEXT!"

LOL, no man has ever been my lover without being my friend first. I've never been interested in "trying out the goodies" until we're ensconsed in a comfortable, committed relationship and we're in love.

If a man I was dating told me I had to have sex with him in order for him to develop feelings for me, I'd definitely take a pass.

I grew up in the "sex, drugs and rock and roll" era, and easy sex didn't even appeal to me back then.
 David.J.white
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2014 9:13:41 PM
I disagree. It is the same for men and women! I have tried this approach twice! I wish you was correct but I always thought it would be a stronger relationship to start off as friends. But it don't work that way! We would get along really well and hang out all the time, do everything together text morning to night, trust each other! All your doing is creating a solid friendship! If you don't make a move in the beginning it won't happen! They say they value our friendship too much. So I left it at that. I would go on dates and be thinking about hanging out with them instead! It was very painful for me but had to stop talking to them! So instead I say work on getting to know them in a relationship term and then become their best friend!!

I wished it would work because I just don't want to be like every one else married and divorced! And I would think a solid foundation like friendship would keep that from happening!
 David.J.white
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2014 9:18:35 PM
I'm not saying that you should start off by having sex, but let it be clear that you want it to be a relationship from the beginning! :)
 easterparadehat
Msg: 134
Posted: 4/24/2014 4:54:48 AM
Everyone has to like the person they date that is why eventually they call each other girl/boyfriend. Problem is men come out again wanting to date when they are horny. For most women that is a turnoff and most have dated around to see it for what it is. Then they cool the dude down and he starts resenting her for what he doesn't get.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 135
Posted: 4/24/2014 7:19:31 AM

For most women that is a turnoff and most have dated around to see it for what it is. Then they cool the dude down and he starts resenting her for what he doesn't get.

Not really. There are women that are paranoid that they want to play the friend crap until the guy has lost any lust. Then there are women that are as horny as men. That does not mean that they sleep around, but once they find a cool horny guy, they want to fvck their brains out. They are not going to wait six months to do so. These type of women, the guy does not resent, but instead spends hours at the office thinking about being with such woman and having more sex.

That is why I do not do the friend crap, nor do I go for vanilla girls. And in the end, no regrets, no resentment, just sweet nothings whispered to the ear.
 Maleman999
Msg: 136
Posted: 4/24/2014 8:27:09 AM

Then they cool the dude down and he starts resenting her for what he doesn't get.

What do you mean by "cool the dude down"? Does that mean you make false promises of intimacy in the future as a reward, as long as he currently behaves properly (keepa you hands off me) and spends money on you to your satisfaction, under the pretense of "friends first"? I don't play carnival games of chance. If a woman did the "we must be friends first and see what happens after" ploy, I would say to her "I guess that means you don't mind paying you own way for everything and doing half of the driving whenever we hang out" (it's not called dating when friends get together). Friends don't use me for freebies. I would also let her know that I will still be looking and dating other women, since we're just friends.
 icucme77
Msg: 137
Posted: 4/24/2014 9:55:45 AM
What are Vanilla girls? Just haven't heard this before!
 gtomustang
Msg: 138
Posted: 4/24/2014 9:59:34 AM
generally speaking, vanilla is....well, think of ice cream. is vanilla your first automatic choice when presented with a wide range to choose from?
 icucme77
Msg: 139
Posted: 4/24/2014 10:05:25 AM
Thanks for the information....gto....great car by the way!!!
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 140
Posted: 4/24/2014 10:05:25 AM
What are Vanilla girls?

Just made that up.

But think about it. What would be a vanilla girl. She's afraid to take chances because she may get hurt. She doesn't kiss on the first date. She freaks out when she goes home and goes online and finds you on the same site. Then gets mad, even though she was ALSO online.

She eats vanilla ice-cream in a cup with a spoon, no sugar cone.

She turns off the lights during sex.

What else?

LOL
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 141
Posted: 4/24/2014 10:12:05 AM
Friends first only really works when a relationship wasn't the plan. When you have that interest in a girl and she just wants to be friends, well she's also friends with a few other guys probably. Be ready to watch her end up with someone else.

If she was interested in dating you, she'd date you, she wouldn't waste time and risk you finding some other girl. She'd make sure that if she does like you, that you're gonna be with her, not someone else. REALLY think about it.

It all depends on what your goal is. If you have ANY interest in dating the girl, you're only setting yourself up to get hurt. She doesn't have the same interest as you, but she's open to her mind possibly, though unlikely, changing. Or she's letting you down easy, you'll be friends first, but that friendship will never seem to happen.
 perre62
Msg: 142
Posted: 4/24/2014 10:18:44 AM
Friends first just opens a person up, to being a doormat...fetch n carry guy/girl...being taken advantage of...been there, done that...NEVER again!
 Westernguy
Msg: 143
Posted: 4/24/2014 10:32:00 AM
I have no clue about friends first , not sure I get it.

I ask a girl out and it naturally progresses to kissing etc pretty quick .... I have actually tried to " take it slow " but when a woman gives you the green light .... pretty hard not to go forward..... maybe when I'm in my 40's I'll be able to take it slow ????

Westernguy
 Maleman999
Msg: 144
Posted: 4/24/2014 1:24:36 PM

Friends first just opens a person up, to being a doormat...fetch n carry guy/girl...being taken advantage of...been there, done that...NEVER again!

Oh come on now! Don't you enjoy it when a friendgirl asks you to take her shopping at the mall, and you get to hold her purse and any shopping bags while she tries on new outfits or new jeans? Then she comes out of the change room wearing the new item and says to you: "Does this make me look fat?" And of course, you would be required to say: "You look fabulous in that."-no matter what it looks like. And then, since she bought a new outfit or pants or a top, you two have to go looking for a matching purse and shoes. Then after that, she'll hint at how hungry she is, so it's your turn to shell out money to feed her. If you don't enjoy doing that, she'll remind you of how fun that was and need to do it again soon. After all, Saint WTF day is just around the corner, which means getting another outfit specifically for that day, but only for the current year-it will be out of style by next year. So you get to do it all over again. And you would have a problem with that?
 forums1
Msg: 145
Posted: 4/24/2014 4:31:42 PM

Oh come on now! Don't you enjoy it when a friendgirl asks you to take her shopping at the mall, and you get to hold her purse and any shopping bags while she tries on new outfits or new jeans? Then she comes out of the change room wearing the new item and says to you: "Does this make me look fat?" And of course, you would be required to say: "You look fabulous in that."-no matter what it looks like. And then, since she bought a new outfit or pants or a top, you two have to go looking for a matching purse and shoes. Then after that, she'll hint at how hungry she is, so it's your turn to shell out money to feed her. If you don't enjoy doing that, she'll remind you of how fun that was and need to do it again soon. After all, Saint WTF day is just around the corner, which means getting another outfit specifically for that day, but only for the current year-it will be out of style by next year. So you get to do it all over again. And you would have a problem with that?

Don't forget about how next week she'll want to tell you all about the date she had with the guy she just met, and how it didn't go well (or maybe did), and how great it is to have you as her friend to talk to all about it in great detail.
 easterparadehat
Msg: 146
Posted: 4/25/2014 4:23:37 AM
I'm not a fan of men who play clueless so you go figure out what it means since you know everything, right?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >