Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JEJEsPlace
Msg: 226
My dog is dyingPage 10 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
a dog will let you know when it's "that" time. My rottie let me know when the time had come. And I had to put her down...she wouldn't allow anyone else near her, including the vet....go figure. This is going to sound weird, but she watched me dig the hole (she picked it out, by the way), then laid down in it....and waited. She got up for a few minutes , comforted me, then lay back down in her hole....I didn't have the heart to refuse her. She had better sense than I did...she used to roll my ex out of the bed every nite. I should have taken the hint.
 SI lady
Msg: 227
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 6:31:53 PM
OMG I can't believe this post. I actually had to put my dog down Monday 8/4/08. I still get hysterical every time I think about it. The thought that i ended her life doesn't sit well with me. I took her (HOPE) 2 the vet that night, never knowing that she wasn't coming home with me. I took Hope from a resuce shelter Bobbies Strays & PLUTO (pet lovers united together) 6 years ago. She was then abt 6-8 years old. Black lab/shepard mix, missing most of teeth broken nose & had cancer too. She was the most precios dog ever. I loved her with all my heart & soul. She wasn't doing good for 2 weeks B4 I took her to the vet. Not eating right, refusing human food (OMG) and throwing up bile. Vet said she was going into kidney failure & there really wasn't much he could do for her. When he examined her she yelped & snapped. Hope never ever snapped. I knew then she was in pain. My 17 y/o son & I cried & cried. The vet gave her a sedative, I held her & kissed her, cried over her, told her how much we loved her. 10 minutes later he came back, by then she was in a coma, I'm sure of it. He gave her the final shot & listened to her heart till it stopped beating. By this time I couldn't control my hysteria & I threw up all over his office (too bad). Again I kissed her, hugged her & told her how sorry I was that it was I who decided to end her life. I just wish she would have gone on her own, at least I wouldn't have felt so guilty then. All I can say is it SUCKS big time to put your faithful friend, companion, down. P.S. I have her ashes (she was cremated) in a tin in my breakfront. Eventually I want her burried with me. I will also be cremated.
 Lambchop65
Msg: 228
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 6:47:35 PM
I have experienced making 'that' decision to put down my beloved friend and companion. Take comfort that you are doing what is best for them. It may seemits not what's best for you and that is the painful part. But knowing you are being humane and kind so they no longer have to suffer is the comfort. Remember doing the right thing is rarely the easiest for the person making the decision. But if it were easy, it probably isn't 'right'.

My heart and prayers are with you. Your faithful friend will no longer suffer, and you can feel comfort you helped make that happen.

God Bless.
 pens1948
Msg: 229
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 6:49:49 PM
It is tough losing a pet. They are very faithful friends, but we have to be faithful too. Their lives are not nearly as long as ours and it is a pity to watch them suffer - especially when there are other choices.

Look back on the good times - the memories are yours forever.

There are some really good sites to help on the web - one of them is Rainbow Bridge - it is worth reading.

I have gone through the "saying goodbye" thing several times. Most recently with a dog that had been with me for almost 14 years - she had a major stroke and the vet said there was simply no way that she was going to recover...

Paul
 the_humormonger
Msg: 230
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:33:04 PM
you should not feel guilty, SI. you did the right thing! your Hope was in pain, and going into kidney failure, which would have caused her way more suffering. you did something hard, but in her best interests. and that's no cause for shame or guilt.

i have euthanised two pets.

first, a family cat i'd inherited. 17 or 18, and one morning i found her laying on the ground, gasping for breath. off to the vet, where xrays showed she'd ruptured her diaphragm. the vet offered surgery, but only gave 50/50 odds she'd recover to herself. so, i put her down, because she would not like being an invalid.

and more recently, and more painfully, i had to put my boy, sam, down. he'd been recently diagnosed with lymphoma. tho' the vet said perhaps 2 -3 months, it was over in 2 1/2 weeks. he was 14 and i'd had him from a pup, about 10 weeks old. he was my friend and companion for 14 years, and i guess i was lucky to even have a couple of weeks to prepare for his loss. he was himself for all but the last 2 days. he just became immobile - laid in his spot, and didn't move for 2 days. and i knew then, that it was time. i had to get a neighbor to help me carry him out and to the car. poor boy couldn't even get up.

the staff at the vet's office was very nice and considerate. they carried him on a stretcher, brought him into the room, and the vet came a few minutes later. two legs and multiple sticks later (he was dehydrated), she found a vein and gave him the injection. it was over within a couple of minutes. i just kept telling him he was a good boy, and the pain would be gone soon and he'd feel better. and then i sat with him for maybe 20 minutes, petting him and telling him he was in a better place, and i'd see him again. his ashes were strewn over the rose garden at the local (semi-world famous) pet cemetery.

you know, i've been telling everyone that it has gotten better. but it really hasn't. i miss him. i'm still sad. the only way i avoid the pain is by not thinking about it...it still hurts.

but, at the end of the day, i know i did the right thing. i'd do the same for any family member, if it were legal.
 Beholder123
Msg: 231
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:36:47 PM
Oh!!!! I wish you were still here OP!!!!! I can so relate and also probably HELP you!!!! If you come back...please email me!
 oc_jon1965
Msg: 232
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:40:17 PM
when you think about it . . .every thing dies . .

Jobs . .cars .. love ..plants ..people..pets,
and eventually you

sad , but true . . .

everything dies

(hope I've been helpfull)
 joy4u4423
Msg: 233
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:53:44 PM
I lost my german shepherd Barney two years ago. He got lymphoma carcinoma. They tried to save him by removing his spleen, Then I took him to a wholistic vet who used accupuncture and put him on a raw diet. Anyway I only got him three more months.
When he couldn't stand my vet put him to sleep and I was the last thing he saw.
My vet gave me the Rainbow Bridge poem.
My advice is that before you do this, take him to a photographer and get a picture for your wall. Hang it over the cremation reamins.I felt at peace that I had done everything to save him and to let him go. That is a gift we can give them and we can't give to suffering people.
Hugs and cry your tears. You will always remember the good times.
Joyce
 red4ever
Msg: 234
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:54:59 PM
See if you can find a vet who will come to your house and do the euthenasia there...it spares both you and your pet the trauma of having to get in the car and make that long, painful final drive. There is also a lot of comfort and familiarity to be in familiar surroundings. You are doing the right thing.....my boy dog died an agonizing death in my arms after a long struggle with cancer, and when his sister developed the same cancer and got to the same terrible point, I wanted to do what was best for her, not what was best for me. Our vet came to our house, it was over in a matter of minutes.
 Beholder123
Msg: 235
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:56:53 PM
I AM NOT THERE

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.
This helped me when I let my beloved Rottie Zeus go.....
Putting him down was by far the BEST thing I could have done for him....And if you can...be there and hug your dog and tell him how much you love him and hold him til he goes to sleep....You wont regret being there.
It is the ultimate selfless act of love you can give your loved one....letting him go....
God Bless....
 Lostcowgirl
Msg: 236
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:57:58 PM
I had to make the judgement call on my first horse that I had owned for 25 years along with a few cats, a couple of raccoons and a dog that I was responsible for.
With all of them I prayed the Good Lord would take them, but it didn't pan out that way.

The best thing I learned that helped in those decisions was "Quality of Life".

In other words; I had to put my feelings aside and decide what was best for the animal.

If they're not content and comfortable, I think it best to put them out of their misery.

It's a tuff call, but you gotta put yer feelings aside and do what's best for the animal I figure.

Hope this helps a tad...
 Its Better Together
Msg: 237
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 8:18:35 PM
I'll warn you it will be one of the most difficult things you'll ever have to do or experience in your life.
My advice to you is to remain by your dog's side until the very end...her final breath.
That is the least you can do for all the faithful and unconditional love your pet has given to you.
 SunsetPoint
Msg: 238
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 8:19:33 PM
Please...you are not alone. I too have lost "the love of my life". There is no easy way to deal with it. Google "Rainbow Bridge." Your puppy will wait to cross over with you.

I am so sorry. I lost my beloved Andre the Giant on 7/15/07...but he is here in my heart and with me everyday. If tears could build a stairway and pain could pave a lane, I'd go right up to Heaven and bring you back again...
 Lady A.
Msg: 239
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 8:29:50 PM
My heart goes out for you. You really have to do it though. She is going to a better place, and will wait for you. I could not do it, years ago, was too weak, to part with my girl, who travelled across Europe with me in my car, saw me winning my first horse-race, and moved to Canada with me when I got married. I thought, this can't be happening, she is a piece of my past, a piece of my home. But she got congestive heart-failure, got weak even to get up, stopped drinking and eating, I spared no expense to save her, after spending a week in the pet-hospital she got better, just to be sick again 6 weeks later. And I could not do it. I thought, I am not God, to stop such a loving heart from beating. To see your pet stumbling, not being able to get up is horrible. I cuddled her in my arms, cryed and cryed, and hoped for a miracle. Went to different vets for second opinions, but there was no help. Finally, she died in my bedroom, in her sleep, peacefully, hopefully without suffering. Her little head was cold , as I touched her in the morning. I freaked out, a piece of me died with her. I ran off, to my favorite horse, to seek comfort. Left my then-husbend with the grusome part of berrying her. For weeks, I could not even look to the direction where she was berried in the garden. But you have to do it, don't wait like I did. She will love you for ever.
 lisa0621
Msg: 240
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 8:31:04 PM
I usually don't reply but I had to put my Rott down after 12 years. It was the hardest thing I ever did. The vet told me that I should have done it earlier, but she was still having goode days. God Bless, I feel your pain.
 rudyb
Msg: 241
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/20/2008 8:40:50 PM
You are a Blessed person which has a Heart that is a tear for what you are going through. Yes I have. And as I tip tap this, I feel you're pain. You are loved by so,
many. We are all in this for you. The word stranger is not here.
Take Care.
 lilgoblin
Msg: 242
My dog is dying
Posted: 8/21/2008 12:39:14 AM
hi my names crystal and yes i had to put down my beloved sheltie i had 4 nine years. he seen me through happiness ,heartache,the death of my mother and brother ,grandfather and grandmother all within a few months of eachother.when i was sad i would hold him in my lap andi swear he listened to my every word as i cried it out to him. i was told he had liver cancer but omg i could not believe it.he acted so lively and healthy but the vet warnedme the day would come,which it did 3 months later.i knew it was time to do the humane thing when i watched him on a friday night lay on his side and even tho he never complained at all he would take in a breath fine but when he let it out he would shake ever so lightly.so i knew he was in pain and i couldnt do that to him because when i was in pain he helped me through to the end.i decided to call the vet and have him done the following monday but asked that they come to the house.they were a great husband and wife team and they adored mackie as much as i did they said all shelties r smart but they sad mackie was phenominal and i would agree and not because i was partial but because i seen things he did that just would make GOD rethink our purpose on this earth.mackie loved all lil animals smaller then him and would take care of motherless animals of all kind to give them a chance.it was remarkable to see him do it.well they came to the house but i made sure that mackie had his glazed donuts dipped in cofffee as his going away meal ( my mother when she was alive her and mackie always shared this treat together when mom visited on vacation from illinois) when christine and her husband put him down it was so peaceful and so humane.first they gave him a sedative to relax him but being at home haveing it done relaxed us both it was easier on him too.after the gave him the first shot he just got a lil sleepy and i held him while he laid his head on my lap with his eyes closed. the second shot was givin and b4 half of it was in him he had already gone. i asked how long he had left. christine said u called it at the right time.she estimated that he would have been gone in a day or two.i cried i yelled and screamed and asked god why,but we all know when we get an animal we make a commitment to them to take care of them and for them to be our family.well we bury our family memebers dont we and its so hard.but sometimes losing ur pets hurt to the core of us.and now im the type when one door closes the other opens so i looked at mackies pet dishes on the floor and all his toys (needless to say he had over 50 toys he was very spoiled) and i just felt so lost.i NEEDED to take another animal and make him part of the family again .... but one prob,,,, noone had any sheltie puppies anywhere for sale.so i contacted a a sheltie rescue service and the had two to choose from.my mackie was a tri color but i had wanted to get a blue meryl a time back and it just happened the one was a 7 month old blue meryl who needed the love the commiment and attention i could give him.he was one of 4 who was almost beat to death and starved,but the resue service when they got him and his bros and sis they groomed them and did a great job.when i went and saw this dog he was one of the mot beautiful shelties u could want he had a pedegree background and his mom and dad were champs along with his grandmother and g father.altho very under weight still for theu only had him for 4 days he was just beautifl but very unsure of humans .it took me a good yr to get him to bark when he did he hid for a day scared that i would beat him ,,,my heart just broke ,and i made a promise no matter what this dog was gonna have a wonderful life no matter how much or how little life he had left AND IT WAS ALL UP TO ME TO DO IT IMADE THE ONE TRUE COMMITMENT TO THAT DOG and also to his siamese cat sister who i got from a shealter also about a month b4 i got the dog. do urself a a favor when the time comes do get another it helps ease the pain and makes the memories more special.i also had mackie cremated so when i go he will be by my side . hope this helps ...... an animal friend and owner here to help ease ur pain ty all crystal
 JenniBunny
Msg: 243
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/20/2008 2:32:45 PM
I have been a veterinary technician for 17 years. Listen to me when I tell you its extremely peacful. The injection is a small needle, the serum works almost instantly. They quickly fall asleep and the heart stops after 5 seconds. The vet will allow you to either say goodbye and leave, or to be present. I advise you to give a great big hug, a really good treat/meal and a kiss. Remember your pet as happy and loved. Then be kind and let them go to a better place without pain. You'll be an angel in its eyes. Animals love without predjudice....there better people than we are. You'll be fine, hun.
 lilygirl2023
Msg: 244
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:03:49 PM
Oh, sweetie, I know what you're going through. Or went through, rather. I see this thread is from six months ago. Regardless, it's hard to lose a pet. I lost my dog five years ago to cancer and I still miss her every day. She was the best thing in my life. And as hard as it is to make the decision to euathanize her, it would be far more cruel to let her suffer a painful death. What you've given her is something most of us will never get: a good death -- easy and painless while being with the person we love the most. My deepest sympathies are with you.
 me and my bike
Msg: 245
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:13:03 PM
I am so sorry for your loss Having my dog Blue put down was the hardest thing I ever did. He was sick for the last year of his life and then one day he just couldn't get up. My vet came out to the truck and gave him the shot and I talked to him and petted him as he fell asleep. Then we went home for a burial in the back yard. I still miss him sometimes and it's been 6 years. I have 2 others but they can't take his place.
Pat
 hfb06
Msg: 246
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:22:15 PM
Sorry about the loss you will suffer,i think it goes back to the saying(if you love something,let it go)for what reason do you need to put your pet to sleep ,if it is suffering,then it is only right to let it rest and leave the pain behind.If i was suffering and noone would let me end the pain,day after day,i would be very disapointed in the people i thought loved me,because your pet cannot make that choice to suffer or to end the suffering,its your very hard but very needed coice to let it live or not.I have been there and did need to make that choice and i choose to stop the animals pain and let it rest in peace,,,although my friend is'nt here to keep me company anymore,i know in my heart that he thanked me for putting him in a better place
 rhymer12004
Msg: 247
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:24:29 PM
Sorry to hear this...yes it is a hard thing to do, but a necessary one..
I have had to put down many, and believe me, death isn't the worst thing that can happen...hugs and wags to you.
 nearly red
Msg: 248
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:24:53 PM
I had to have my beautiful Male Jack Russel (Treacle ) put to sleep in June , and he was 16 but I was watching all the time as he had dementia, ( Dogs do get it)I had to help him in and out of the house,plus he had a growth on his tongue,which turned out to be cancerous. I was very aware his time was close , and the vet said to me it was the kindest thing to do ,so it was upseting leaving him there , but I knew in my heart that it had to be done ,and it has taken me a while to get over it , and my female dog also misses him ,she was waiting for him. I can look at his photograhps ,and remember all the good times , and unconditional love he gave.
 rhymer12004
Msg: 249
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:25:32 PM
Sorry to hear this...yes it is a hard thing to do, but a necessary one..
I have had to put down many, and believe me, death isn't the worst thing that can happen...hugs and wags to you.
 chesher 38
Msg: 250
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:33:43 PM
NEXT TIME GET A CAT, the bury their own chit and the have 9 lives...
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying