Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready For More Fun
Msg: 101
view profile
History
My dog is dyingPage 5 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I lost my mare after 31 years. I had her mother since I was twelve. I'm 55, so in other words, I've had my mare or her mother most of my life. Every snowstorm, my first thought is whether or not she is all set for the cold to come, then I remember... she is gone. I was there when she was born and present when she died. Animals are so much apart of our lives. Gods gift to remind us of what is important. I wish I had put her down a few weeks before she died. I could have saved her from some of the discomfort. Hindsight is 20/20
Good luck.
 simplywhatever
Msg: 102
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 7:38:28 PM
The day I lost my dog was the only day Ive ever seen my dad cry. We knew she was struggling and thank god dad took her while I was at work, cause honestly Im not sure if I could have dealt with it. I got home that night and dad told me they found cancer and although she wasnt in pain, it would only be a short time before she would be. Dad couldn't stand the thought of her suffering so he made the decision. he told me he took her out to the farm and buried her in the field wrapped in her favorite blanket. I have no idea if thats true, but it made it much easier to accept. I wish i could have said goodbye, but I know in my heart she knew how much I loved her. As hard as it was for us, it was even harder on her best friend(lucky the cat) I remember him sitting in the living room where her bed always was...he would just lay there as if to say "wheres my friend"? It wasnt long after that that Lucky past away, they say cats have a way of knowing when the end is near, he just never came home one day, I still wonder where he chose as his final moments...its comforting knowing it was his time though.
I love animals so much that Ive avoided getting another pet, its been 3 years, but the thought of having to go through it all again someday is just to much for me still. I miss them so much.
 Catwater
Msg: 103
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 7:44:45 PM
I can't believe I'm crying as I'm writing this...its been two years now, and my heart's still broken. I had my dog for seven years (I had many others, but this one was my soul mate) He was brought to the pound beaten, mange, cigarette burns, never been out of a cage. I didn't want him, I'd just lost another dog, but got him for my son. Long story short, he turned out to be my dog. That dog travelled with me for thousands of miles, been with me through abusive relationships, stayed by my side when I broke my back. I could never, ever made it without him there. He never complained, just loved, unconditional love. When I lost my mom I took him with me to the cemetary. I can't explain this..and I'm not crazy, but he laid on my mom's grave and I was "told" he had to go to be with her. I thought I was loosing my mind. But two months to the day I was told he was full of cancer and I had to put him down. I spent the day with him, laying on the floor, telling him about all the adventures we had, how I couldn't have done it without him. Then I took him to the vets, laid with him till it was over. So, I know what your feeling, but if you really loved him...you have to let him go. He'll come back to you someday, and if he doesn't, your life has been made better for your time together. You've given each other the best gift of all...unconditional love! Hang in there!
(Sorry this is so long...but I had to tell someone)
 Epona44
Msg: 104
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 7:46:03 PM
OP, I send support and healing thoughts to you.
As for me, I have lost many friends over the years.
My horse was the hardest. But he actually told me in his own way he was ready. He trusted me to do ther right thing for him. I was there for him to the last moment.
What was actually harder was not being able to say goodbye to my dog a year ago. I found her passed away one day after work.
To help heal, I honor them on their cross-over dates.
The first year I wrote this poem and mounted it with a collage of pics of my horse through the years.

A year ago to today,
I lost my best friend,
Always there for me,
Right up until the end.
Always happy to carry me,
Pleased to see me no matter what,
A two year old at heart,
Galloping about like a nut.
He looked at me last year,
and said "please I've had enough",
So I let him go with dignity,
and it was oh so tough.
Yes, my heart is broken,
and I hope I did the right thing,
Will he forgive me?...why yes,
for my praises he will always sing.

How ever things go from here for you , I wish you well.
 Alan_in_Ventura
Msg: 105
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 8:01:51 PM
Oh Sweetheart,
I really sympathize with you.
I just lost my Punkin. 15 years. I didn't put her down, she died in her sleep. But she did have her health problems. I for one, believe it is not my position to decide whether someone, or something, should be put down. Now, to disclaim myself, I have been guilty of it. But philosophically, I do not have the right to decide whether someone, or something, should live or die.
Ideally, you should try to make your pet as comfortable as possible while he/she is alive on this earth. It is "gods" decision to end his/her life. Not yours. We hold this same decision with our elderly. Why make a different decision for our pets?
For the record, its been 5 months since Punkin died. I still cry every night.

Alan
 neb77
Msg: 106
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 8:05:51 PM
My heart goes out to all of you .
Someone was supposed to tell us how tough life was sometimes :(
 TheReason_
Msg: 107
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 8:18:22 PM
Found this somewhere....

<div class='quote'> Why Dogs Live Shorter Lives Than People

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owner, his wife, and their little boy were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, the owners told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old boy to observe the procedure. They felt he could learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. The little boy seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

The little boy, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody and being nice, right?'

The four-year-old continued, 'Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

The worst day of my life to date has been the day I had to put down my Shepherd. He was my best friend, loyal to a fault, a beautiful animal. He was 13, ended up having cancer. He was such a big solid strong dog (120lbs, from german lines, more of a working dog than the american shepherds) so we never noticed it until it was too late. The cancer had spread, liver lungs and spleen. It blocked off the nerves to his back end so he was unable to walk anymore. It was such a terrible evening, my heart broke a million times that night. It was an emergency vet that was open all night. They let us stay with him as long as we wanted and didn't rush our decision at all.

The decision had been made as there was nothing else that could be done. He couldn't understand why he couldn't stand. So we just layed with him for hours, petting him, kissing him, getting kisses from him. He had his favorite toys with him, he was on his favorite blanket. He was so loving right to the end, just kisses for everyone. We arrived there probably at 10pm and this was now 5:30am the next morning. Finally they had come by to ask how things were, I told them "well, I will never be ready, but it's time to say goodbye"

My ex couldn't cope with being in the room at the time so she waited in the van, I stayed with him, held him, kissed him. Told him how much we loved him and how it wasn't going to hurt anymore, and he would be able to run and play as much as he wanted to. He was my best friend and there was no was I was going to let him leave this world alone. I was bawling, it was devastating. I held him and told him he was a good boy and we loved him. It wasn't jarring or shocking when he passed, it was peaceful, I had that one last kiss from him, he put his head down and with a long sigh he was gone.

He had given us so much unconditional love over the years, it was an honour to be with him when he passed, so he would know how much we loved him, and he wasn't alone when he left. I'm crying now, like so many others at the memories. But as I've said before I'll gladly take the pain to know he isn't suffering anymore.

Sometimes I swear I can feel him around me, that big huge head. Maybe some day years from now, we will be together again. The Rainbow Bridge is such a nice thought. I can picture all the pets I've had in my past being there waiting. I see all the ferrets talking among themselves....

"Ok we all recognize each other, but we're not sure what HIS story is" *pointing at my dog*

I wouldn't rush right out to replace your dog. Take some time, greive, miss him, cherish the memories. When the time is right you will know it when you see the right animal. It took probably 3 years for me before I had another dog. Instead of a big mean Shepherd I couldn't take anywhere (he was a guard dog) I got a small happy dog I can take everywhere. Great watch dog, not much of a guard dog *smile* He's my little buddy, who THINKS he's a 120lbs Shepherd. I don't have the heart to tell him otherwise. :)

Peace.

philabuster
Msg: 108
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 8:47:30 PM
Just reading these posts says a lot of people have been through this and survived their emotions hon! No one can empathize better than one who has been through what you feel about this.
I had not even had a pet long enough all of my life to experience this, until I met my former fiance. A pet lover extrodanaire! I had, by that time gotten a dog at my daughters coaxing! She had been through the intimate animal experience with several dogs and in our time together I became much like her in becoming intimately attached to them. So in our time together we had my dog, Paco, a dachshund, her mothers dog Dee Dee, a Shih Tszu, and a handsome stray from the expressway on New Years eve "mutt" of mixed breeding/Golden Retriever/Samoyed/Border Collie to the best guess we could come up with! A really funny trio to which we added Miko, a cat that my granddaughter could not keep due to allergies!
I am not emotionally as sensitive as some in this area but when you have a pet who becomes your extended family and who loves his/her owner unconditionally it is something even an old salt like me cannot avoid!
When they become old and sick and their quality of life on a DAILY BASIS becomes a bigger burden to them than your having to deal with your feelings aboout relieving their pain of that life; it is cruel to have them hang on for your sake! The one thing you have to deal with is the feelings of letting go; they may have to feel immense pain and suffering hanging on for you!! You will know when its time! Dobber the stray just layed down behind me when I was at the table and went; no groans, no wimper, no howl! It was instantaneous! But my fiance cried for days, she had the right! He was something of a character! What a legacy he left! Miko suffered a while with kidney necrosis and us giving him fluid injections intra-dermally almost daily. But he got better and had an extended stay with quality of life due to my fiances and my efforts! It came to pass that he decided his time as he would hole up in the back of closets or behind items to hide! Then we knew it was time and we put him down! It was hard no doubt , but it was right! I still miss them both! My fiance and I are still very close and hopefully can work through this time but I let Paco go to her and Dee Dee because its where he belongs. He may be next but having been through it before..... we will know what and how to deal with it . Good Luck in your efforts and Kind Regards, Phillip
 ~Tropical~
Msg: 109
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 9:07:56 PM
Dear Sunrisen, there is nothing sadder than losing a pet that has given you joy and pure unconditional and loyal love.

I feel your pain as I have gone through it, my heart goes out to you...just know that your beautiful dog loves you, and she knows that you love her in return ,and it is because you love her so that you must have the strength to send her to sleep in the most humane way you can. It is heartbreaking but hold her and tell her while she releases herself to spirit, and releases any pain she may be in, that you are thankful for the precious time you have shared together, and that you are thankful for the constant companionship and love she blessed your life with.
 HOMEISWHERETHEHEARTIS
Msg: 110
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 9:36:54 PM
My pooch passed unexpectly early a.m. in my chair...she was my Dads dog...I lost him 2 years prior.....I never thought it would hurt as it did...but, I picture her now running in tall fields of grass in the forever sunshine of heaven...chasing sprinkler water as she loved to do, making my Dad laugh...she is with my Dad I am sure...and they are just having a ball...with nothing to come between them in the way of pain or suffering or fear of pain or suffering...that is all behind them now...and they are free to laugh and play forever....they are the lucky ones.
 zadamarie
Msg: 111
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 9:37:27 PM
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. It has happened to me three times. In the end it is the last act of love you can give your beloved animal. It is difficult to do but hold her while the vet does it., remember she wouldn't have left you. Maybe you could even find a friend to hold her if you just can't. Tell her how much you love her and how blessed you are to have had her in you life. I had mine cremated and it helped also. Be strong for you Baby Dog
 MsTexasBlonde
Msg: 112
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 9:53:09 PM
I lost my dog to the dog food recall. For months we tried to save her. She was in pain from the iv's I had to give her everyday to keep her alive h oping she would be ok. After six months of trying and her crying and pulling out the iv's I couldnt put her threw it. She now is in my living room in a little wooden box. I had her creamated and I was sad at first. But I miss her and wish things could of been diffrent for her. But when they are in pain its hard to let go. You will be doing the right thing by letting her die a peaceful death at your hands than letting her suffer. When I miss my dog I hold the box and talk to her. I have one of her doggie treats wrapped on top of her wooden box. So I CAN understand your heart break. My heart goes out to you.....
 MsTexasBlonde
Msg: 113
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 9:54:45 PM
I lost my dog to the dog food recall. For months we tried to save her. She was in pain from the iv's I had to give her everyday to keep her alive h oping she would be ok. After six months of trying and her crying and pulling out the iv's I couldnt put her threw it. She now is in my living room in a little wooden box. I had her creamated and I was sad at first. But I miss her and wish things could of been diffrent for her. But when they are in pain its hard to let go. You will be doing the right thing by letting her die a peaceful death at your hands than letting her suffer. When I miss my dog I hold the box and talk to her. I have one of her doggie treats wrapped on top of her wooden box. So I CAN understand your heart break. My heart goes out to you.....
 beachbunnie
Msg: 114
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 9:59:54 PM
i just lost my kitty, 2 weeks ago. he was 22. i had him eauthanized but not without terrorizing myself by thinking..."what right do i have to take his life?" i made myself sick for weeks, from the heartwrenching decision that i knew i had to make.. all of his organs had started getting weak and i put up with him deficating on my carpets for the past 6 months because he was healthy other than that. he had what i believe was a stroke and lost mobility in different limbs and was fine again for about a month. then i noticed different things happening to him and then finally...i had to lift his head for him to drink water. he could barely move anymore. then he stopped eating. as humans, we grow old and die...but not always without suffering. i guess that's how i felt about my cat....but for my own selfishness. i loved him and didn't want to lose him....putting aside that fact that i know he was suffering. i finally made the appointment to put him to sleep. all i can say is....i cried the rest of that day, but when i woke up the next day....i felt a sense of calmness.....he wasn't suffering anymore. i'll always miss him....but the memories of watching him slowly die, are hard to get over. now i focus on all the years of happiness that he gave me. this is the 4th pet that i've lost in the last 12 years. it never gets easier....it's just the cycle of life. i know what you're feeling...and you know what is best. you have my sympathies.
 almostexactly
Msg: 115
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:06:31 PM
As someone who has had to do this several times over with both pet dogs and cats I can honestly say it is an excruciating decision. It NEVER gets easier and Im tearing up just writing about it and its been 5 years at least since I put the dog to sleep.

Just know that as hard as it is to say goodbye and make the decision you will be satisfied with the knowledge that your dog has had a great life with you and couldn't wish for more. [Think of all the mistreated pets out there that have crap lives.] Cherish the last hours with your best friend and try and see if you can hold her whilst she slips away. I know this is hard and a lot of people cannot be with their pets as they are euthanised but I always feel that my pets will be less distressed in their last moments if they have a family member with them.

Best wishes and take time out to heal before getting another pet.
 SunsetPoint1
Msg: 116
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:07:14 PM
I lost my beloved Andre the Giant, a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Boxer mix on July 15, 2007. He was 13 or so, and had a brain tumor. I loved him so much--as much as a child (since I have no children). i wear an "A" on a chain around my neck, and a "C" for my Golden Retriever, Cesar. We both miss our beloved Andre so much. You must do the right thing for a good friend. I am here for you if you need to talk.

Hold onto your heart, cuz I am gonna share this with you --it will make you cry, but in time, I hope it makes you feel better.

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

I love you Andre. Cesar and I miss you so very, very much, and you are right here, in my heart.
 DannyGC
Msg: 117
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:08:54 PM
Sunrisen,
Man this really hits home for me! I have had to put down 3 dogs in my life. Its the hardest thing I have ever done. The grief is the same,losing anyone that you love is very hard.The first dog i had 20 years, the next one 10 years then 12 years. The last one was the hardest i think. I had a bassett hound named Barney, he was the cooliest dog ever.He got cancer and I had to put him down. I took him to the vet had to carry him in he weighed 65 pounds he was a big boy LOL.the vet was a real ass He told me to leave the room that i wouldnt want to see it when it happened. I told him that the last thing my dog was gonna see in life was my face. So I petted his head and told him i loved him until he was gone. It was very hard but i did feel relief for him and me. I hope you make it thru this.
Danny
 Aprille479
Msg: 118
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 11:31:16 PM
My heart goes out to you for the pain you are in. I have a little dog who is getting older and know that someday I will have to face this and it makes me cry just thinking about it so I can imagine the pain you are in. They do become our very best friends, don't they - they are always there and always love us. I hope you take some comfort in knowing that she had a good life with you and that you loved her with all your heart. I pray that you will find some peace about this and I do truly believe that we will see our beloved pets again in Heaven. Someone told me once that your pet will let you know when it's time. I wish they lived as long as us. She knows you love her.
 sunrisen
Msg: 119
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/24/2008 10:39:07 PM
Once again I want to thank everyone for their kind words and their commiserating thoughts and empathy- it means so much to me and you've all helped in the fact that the tears flow freely now.

I know many of you want to know what has happened since I first wrote that post. Well my parents found out how sick my dog was and immediately thought to take her to the humane society/shelter. My friend works for a similar shelter and told me she would be surrounded by kind people but at first would be put in a kennel, with a lot of other barking dogs and pretty much only a modicum of the attention she has grown used to. This dog has given me so much love, attention and light when I needed it in the darkest of times that I cannot and will not EVER abandone her in her darkest and most painful hour. She will die with her dignity and with those who love her.

My parents are very religious so we spoke to our service leader and asked them if it was against the religion to put an animal who was suffering down. He said it wasn't too clear, but he would cushion the impact and allow the animal to pass away on its own.

So about my entire savings account, maybe 6 bottles and a needle everyday later and my dog is actually doing well. She is actually back to her puppy attitude... in fact the vet x-rays, blood work and all those other tests show that her lymph nodes are decreasing in size, her uterine infection is almost all flushed out and her cancer is in remition- Thank God... I think this is a miracle to be perfectly honest!

My dog was a cripple, blind, moaning constanly from pain and her fur was a dull matted mess- no matter how many times we washed her... Now her coat in shiny, she jumps on people's nees, has stopped bumping her head and has gone back to happy puppy dreams, she still has her good days and bad days though.

I can only say one thing- This has to be because of all your prayers. And I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers from the bottom of my heart. My dog is perhaps only going to live about 3-4 more months but at least she will go in her time, comfortably and not on a metallic table, but in her favorite set of my comforters... Once again thank you all and I wll keep updating on Emma's condition- Sun
 Balsafer
Msg: 120
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/24/2008 11:07:17 PM
Glad to hear your dog is a little better.... When I was like 5ish my family had to the first cat I had to sleep. We got him and his mom from my aunt and he was a fiesty little bugger I remember the time he creamed into his moms butt causing her to flip I never laughed so hard in my life.

It is amazing how we get attached to a animal its been 19 years and I so miss him
 Komnenos
Msg: 121
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/25/2008 12:20:39 AM
tough sh-t... bye bye canine
 hottemperd
Msg: 122
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/25/2008 12:40:32 AM
i had a few good dogs in my life its hard to imagine them not bien there...a part of u will be missen .but if here old or sick,,sometimes its for the best to ease threr hurt even though urs might not.. they;ll always be in ur harst an even say hi in ur dreams...they will hold on to there pain to live a lil longer to make ur pain not so great...let her know u love her an its ok togo..an that ull be fine without her reasure her ull always lover her let her go....shell hold on to the biter end for u.... for sheis part of u as u are part of her.....she'll be waiten for u.....its what loyal dogs do.... ihope this helps its not easy to let go..but think of ur best friend
 nexthyme
Msg: 123
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/26/2008 12:32:39 AM
Thank you Sun for letting us know..

Ohhh Blessed are the animals... That is good she got a little more time, and she maybe able to pass on her own. Glad you are getting that 2nd chance at a little emotional peace....

Hugs.
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 124
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/26/2008 1:14:13 AM
I had to put my dog to sleep because she was 18 and couldn't walk anymore and was blind at that point. I was there with her and felt that it was the humane thing to do and her suffering would be over. She lived a long and happy life. At halloween my sons puppy that was 8 mos old was hit by the neighbor. Went to the vet and they said his pelvis was broken in 2 places and his colon was ruptured and it would be 2,500 to try and fix him but he may not have the same quality of life he had before. He said that there was such a chance of bad infection and he would have to be kept in small quarters till he healed and he would need round the clock care. I did not have that amount of money and he kept saying he may never be the same and the odds were not very good. I decided I had to let him go cause he loved to run cause I live on 5 acres and keeping him confined would be hard. I was upset that the grand parents that were supposed to be watching him let him get near the road. I went back and they had him so he couldn't move and he just watched me walk up to him and he looked happy. I talked to him and then told the vet to go ahead and he said I should stay with him. I pet him and told him I loved him, he was gone in a few minutes and then I broke down and cryed for almost a week. I felt so guilty. I kept 2nd guessing myself and feeling guilty. I know he is in a better place now and I was with him when he went. I could not take him home it would of been to hard so they cremated him and sent him to a beautiful place that I can take my son to see this spring. To this day I get upset and feel guilty but I did what I had to do. He was in no pain and went quickly and quietly. If it has to be done then it has to be done. U will see your dog again some day and they are going to a better place!
 charlie44
Msg: 125
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/26/2008 2:07:38 AM
I've had to put down several dogs in my life the last two I had done together since they both had enjoyed most of their lives together and the winters were becoming harder and harder on them. They had great lives and I loved them so much but at the same time I new it was time. Fed them steaks the day before, took them to the vet and put them on tables looking at each other. He gave them each a shot in the leg and it was the most peaceful thing I have seen. They both just laid their heads down and slowly stopped, that was it . neither looked like he was suffering or struggleing. I went away thinking that's how I'd like to go If i had a say in the matter
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying