Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Laundry Detergent Recipe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WesternRose
Msg: 8
Laundry DetergentPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Just did all my towels and comforters and everything came out lovely....clean...smelling clean.. no scents and it worked great.... did my jeans and sweats too and everything came out bright and clean... this stuff does work well... I am very very pleased.
 Rythmn
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 2/27/2008 10:04:57 PM
ok, since no overflows i will try it. with lymes, i am also chemically sensitive but i thus far have just gotten soap w/o scent. i am also going to compare prices and see if not much more effort. tried making some of my own petfood and then gave up. way too much time and i can buy quality products. in the end, the cost was about the same.
 Mae B
Msg: 10
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 3/6/2008 12:47:41 PM
OK I caved and used this in my brand spanking new front loader. No bubble wall to be seen!!! The clothes came out great.
Mind you I did completely tear the skin off the side of 3 knuckles grating the soap bar

Now I have to work myself up to using the fabric softner on the face cloth idea
 WesternRose
Msg: 11
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 3/6/2008 3:40:11 PM
You got to grate with some love in your heart darlin.....not grate with your stickin lyin cheatin EX in your mind.....

glad it worked...yup.. I have been using a front loader too and no excess amount of suds here...

remember...grate with love in your heart for Mother Earth...
 NightElfWarrior
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 3/24/2008 7:38:37 AM
The recipe posted by the OP sounds like a great idea. I've always preferred less detergent in my wash, I think it's easier on the fabric.
 LanSir
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 3/27/2008 6:58:09 PM
Is arm and hammer washing soda the same as arm and hammer baking soda
No. Washing soda (which is sodium carbonate) is approximately twice as strong as baking soda (which is sodium bicarbonate).
 WesternRose
Msg: 14
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 3/28/2008 8:52:36 PM
Update... I could not find any toilet bowl cleaner the other night...and I decided to try out the laundry stuff on the toilet.

It worked like a dream!... really it did and there as absolutely no sudzing and overflow or mess. The boil was clean and I am sold now.
 WesternRose
Msg: 15
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 4/3/2008 9:13:25 PM
okie dokie... my heavy winter coat with the faux suede and faux fur....thick and heavy and some bad sap stains from a fur tree that could not come out...well... it is a machine washable.... 4 scoops...and wow...the coat was good as new today...smells......CLEAN!!!!!! and the sap came out..weird....but hey..it worked! < do the Happy Banana dance with me kids!
 WesternRose
Msg: 16
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 4/10/2008 12:39:53 AM
I would think that the food processor would whip the soap and make it mushy.

my Ivory soap has not been a problem at all... I grate it...and when I mix it in with the Borax and Soda it breaks up.... I just use a large spoon that I use to measure out the soap...stir it all around to mix the 3 ingredients and the Ivory gets small.....and it does indeed dissolve.

No one else has mentioned the Ivory not dissolving...now I did try to do a hand wash of swimsuits in the sink, and the Ivory did not dissolve at all.
 asteliapuff39
Msg: 17
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 4/10/2008 1:53:00 AM
does this recipe actually work with lots of dark clothes?
because at some point, I heard adding the arm and armor washing soda would make my laundry detergent last longer... but my blacks didnt come too "nice"... and eventually lots of my darks faded to a not so good looking black... so now I simply stay to normal liquid detergent to not deal with that.
can anybody answer this? :)
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 18
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 4/10/2008 8:22:15 AM
Bless all of your earth friendly, greenies! I just cannot give up my Purex and I would be constantly ODing the washer with this stuff cause there is no way I feel a small tablespoon or whatever, would clean it! Heck...I can't stand how they have concentrated all of the regular store bought detergents! LOL

I do make my own convenience wipes! ;)
 WesternRose
Msg: 19
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 4/10/2008 4:11:57 PM
USE 4 to 5 TABLESPOONS.

I did 12 loads of clothes last Friday...including a very heavy furry coat, a faux suede with furry lining...it was filthy... I also did 20 pairs of blue jeans...- yes, I have girls and they have jeans and they get muddy and wet as we live in the rain forest.

so...20 pairs of jeans...smelly coat... and no Ivory soap residue, no fuss to grate the stuff... quick and easy... and I use a front loading machine... several btw as I was at the laundrymat... I put the soap in from the top.

no overflow or heavy sudzing occurs and the clothes come out clean smelling....

I will mention... I don't use 1 tablespoon or 2. ... no way.... I use@4-5 spoonfuls. I use a large dinner spoon and just regular scoop....but yes...you need 4- scoops at least...not the 1 Tablespoon.
I should of mentioned that...cos I used 1 Tablespoon the first time around and not even the undies came out clean.
 WesternRose
Msg: 20
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 4/11/2008 8:14:30 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! silk????????????

well , it would be a gentle soap mix for those fabrics...but I don't think the Ivory would dissolve if you were to handwash.

my mother has saris, you know the East Indian wrap clothing.. 6 yards of silk... you have to be careful with silk...so I would suggest doing the handwash thing...or a machine wash on a very gentle cycle...and use only 2 scoops of this stuff...and then hang it wet to dry... ..or better yet...lay a cotton sheet on a flat surface and lay your blanket on to.... lay it to dry.
 WesternRose
Msg: 21
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 4/13/2008 2:46:09 AM
Hey Random... I bought all my ingredients at the Safeway.
1 bar of Ivory soap... I buy my soap in packs of 8.. these are the handsoap size
Arm and Hammer makes the Oh So Clean cleaning soda, I think there is a brand in the US called 20 Mule.

Borax again is a freshner.

everything in the grocery store and really well priced... I have been giving away the soap.

and btw... you need to use @1/4 cup...not the recommended 1 Tablespoon amount I found.

mix all the ingredients...I use a kitchen soup size spoon...and a little tupperware type container...give it all a good mix and stir..and you are good to go.

here is a link on Borax: http://homeparents.about.com/cs/householdtips/a/borax.htm

link on Washing Soda: http://www.thelaundrybasket.com/Our_Products/Our_Products_Super_Washing_Soda/our_products_super_washing_sod.html
 Mae B
Msg: 22
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 4/27/2008 4:19:51 PM
I've been doing the 50/50 fabric softner/water in a spray bottle for a while now and it's great!!
You do have to get used to not using alot though...one or three sprays on a facecloth is all I need to use in my super capacity dryer.

snrfun53
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 1/13/2009 9:01:47 PM
Does anyone have a good recipie for making your own organic soft soap, and maybe some moisturizers. I recently read that there are over 1,20o ingredients considered unsafe in Europe, and here in the US we only ban 12 of those ingred. Would be great to not only make own laundry detergent, and dryer sheets, but also, soap, shampoo, etc.
 junipermoon
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 1/14/2009 4:43:04 AM
i get a gallon jug of dr. broner's unscented supermild soap for babies, split it up into 8 oz portions and mix it with different essential oils, depending on the use. for laundry, i use lavender, to scrub the kitchen, i use lemon, pine and orange, and lavender, rosemary and tea tree for the bathroom. i've even mixed it with lavender, ylang-ylang, chamomile and peppermint for a really nice body cleanser.
 redhead363
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 7/6/2009 7:26:01 PM
I found a recipe for fabric softener as well.....super cheap as all it is is vinegar, baking soda and water.....no "spring fragrance" but does the job!!!
 SAguy_06
Msg: 26
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 7/6/2009 8:49:08 PM
Does anyone know if this stuff could be used in a front load washer? I have to buy special soap for mine...just wondering?

for what a front load washer costs, i leave these down home recipes for people that still wash their clothes down by the cement pond...
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 7/7/2009 6:08:36 PM
...'scuse me...but why does a front load washer require different soap? My mother had one 40 years ago...and I'm sure she used the same soap she's using now in her trusty Maytag. I think you might have some issues with the amount of soap that you use...because front loaders use much less water...but I can't figure out why it should have to be different, it's trying to accomplish the same thing.
 Enchanted8808
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 7/9/2009 7:38:20 PM
Thanks....the food processor works well for grating the bar soap too!
 redhead363
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:23:01 PM
Hey Wayne......if you can't find washing soda at your store....you might ask them to get some or you can go to "soapsgonebuy.com"....that's how I got my first boxes....one box will last a long time....you only use half a cup for two gallons of liquid....got my recipes from "thefrugalshopper.com"...good luck and happy washing!!!
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 8/18/2009 3:58:04 AM
I use the soap mixture all the time... in my new front loading machine too.

never had a problem with the parts getting gunked up ...and as for the fading...that is strange... I have navy blue duvet covers for my bed...with matching sheets and cases and my colours have not faded one bit.

I wash all my kids clothes in the soap too....I use more than one spoonful ususally....I have found that the clothes smell cleaner... I don't overload my machine btw.. I leave room for the blankets and larger pieces to be evenly washed.
 arwen52
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 8/19/2009 2:43:43 PM
Consumer Reports did an article on fabric softener years ago. They thought dryer sheets were pretty useless. Liquid fabric softener, they said, deposits a fine coating of wax which is what makes the fabric feel soft. I never used fabric softener (we got by fine without it when I was growing up) but when I started practicing massage, I found that the liquid fabric softener made the sheets a little more resistant to being stained by the oil

I'm wondering where to find borax. They used to have it in the local grocery and don't any more. In fact, they have hardly any powders. All the laundry products are liquid.
 arwen52
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Laundry Detergent
Posted: 8/20/2009 8:08:57 PM

Ha! I know waaaaaay too much about cleaning... lol. No wonder I'm alone!!

I dunno, you could be pretty popular with some of the ladies!

How'd you like to come over to my place and we could . . . clean the tub ??? ;-)
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Laundry Detergent Recipe