Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > MLS expansion - Philadelphia 16th team      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 untamed one
Msg: 7
Allstar Game @ Toronto Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Looks like West Ham United under Alan Curbishley is taking on the MLS allstars July 24
 untamed one
Msg: 8
MLS expansion - Philadelphia 16th team
Posted: 3/21/2008 4:17:35 AM
yup a little off topic but congrats to the USA U23 team on their way to the Olympics with Honduras . They easily handled the Canadian squad 3-0 . USA features excellent players like Altidore , Edu , Klejstan and Freddy Adu .
Posted: 3/21/2008 7:07:11 AM
For football(NFL) Americans are as passionate as Europeans. They don't go to the extent of riots and killings that Europeans do, but they fill the stadiums (100,000+) and cheer for their teams. I think the only North American sport that isn't given enough passion in the USA is NHL hockey. The New Jersey Devils are fighting for 1st place and can only get 12,000 to their games. The Toronto Maple Leafs are fighting for last place and sell out, go figure.
 AJtheRN
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2008 5:16:47 PM
It's funny how whenever I see a thread about MLS (mostly on other forums, not this one), people throw out all these reasons why the league won't make it, how the NASL already proved that pro soccer can't succeed in the US, etc. The fact of the matter is that the MLS is ALREADY successful. It's ALREADY operating in the black, and the future is very bright. The main difference between it and the NASL is that the MLS isn't run by idiots who shot their wad right off the bat. The MLS is very smartly run, and the league is more than viable for the long term in it's current state. Will it ever be as big as the NBA, NFL, and MLB? Probably not. But there is a solid, passionate (i.e. non-rioting, non-murdering, as pickmynose pointed out) fan base in this country and soccer will continue to grow steadily year after year. MLS is operated for the long term, and they're doing a great job.

Adding a Philly franchise means I'll finally have a team to root for as my own. I had hoped that the Rochester (NY) Rhinos would join the MLS, as I grew up in Upstate NY and would love to see them rewarded for all their soccer lovin', but Philly is a great second choice for me.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2008 6:44:40 PM
I've been to NFL games, mainly the Buffallo Bills. I agree that there is passion, I was trying to make that point that North Americans are as passionate about their sports as Europeans. While there are some out of control sporting events it pales in comparison to the soccer fans in Europe. North America's definition of passion isn't the same as Europe's. NHL in Canada is the closest to Europe's soccer.
 untamed one
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/22/2008 6:37:55 AM
To be fair though , MLS has been around for 11 years as compared to over 120 years for the major European leagues .
 untamed one
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/27/2008 10:25:20 AM
Montreal 's making serious inquiries for a MLS franchise . Saputo group has a SSS already at 13,000 capacity and can boost to 20,000 . Stade Saputo will also host 2 games of the CONCACAF champions league qualifiers , featuring Toronto FC , Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps .
Sounds like Don Garber wants 20 teams in place by 2012.
 untamed one
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/27/2008 12:43:39 PM
yup , MLS does have the conference style competition , East vs West , however , once it gets to 20 teams , i think we'll see a change to a one table system .
In my case , I got hooked on soccer during the 98 and 02 world cups , and started watching all the major leagues on satellite dish . Every weekend , now , the tv's on Setanta or Fox Soccer or Gol-Tv ..catching the EPL or Serie A or La Liga .
LOL@MISL ..indoor soccer league ..
 untamed one
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/27/2008 1:07:45 PM
Yes , I agree , better to have a table system , plus MLS keeps tweaking the playoff format every year too ,
here's a link to check it out if you want
http://web.mlsnet.com/index.jsp
 untamed one
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/27/2008 1:24:00 PM
lol , just teasing , I actually watch a few games on FSC , that and getting hooked on the USL too ...
 untamed one
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/27/2008 5:30:30 PM
yup , watch the Soccer report most nights and especially the EPL preview and review shows . Haven't seen the Footy Show for a bit , star choice is down , James Sharman is a pretty decent host , shame they're losing Paul James .
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2008 6:12:35 PM
Pedro, the reason children play soccer in North America is because when children are young they don't have the coordination and skill to play complicated sports like tennis, golf, baseball or hockey. Soccer requires less skill than many sports and as children grow they graduate to higher skilled games. This is no disrespect to soccer. It does require some skill, for kids it's easier to run and kick than to hit a tennis ball, hit a baseball or skate and shoot in hockey. I'm not sure if soccer will ever catch on here in North America. I think the biggest problem is the lack of scoring. There are far too many games when the final score is 1-0. To watch or play a game for 90 minutes and see only one goal is boring.
 agoodguyinny
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/28/2008 7:38:56 AM
I don't think that's dumb at all. Of course soccer requires lots of skill and coordination when played well. But any 2 yr old can walk and kick a ball. To hit something or catch or throw a ball is MUCH harder and takes many more years to develop.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 5:54:40 PM
Pedro in football (NFL) the average final score is 35-28. Each score (crossing the oppositions goal line also known as a touchdown is worth 7 points. Do the math where in soccer terms a goal is worth 1 point,35=5 and 28 = 4. The score would be 5-4. How many soccer games have a final score of 5-4? The answer is not many. A final of 1 -0 in soccer is = to a final of 7-0 in NFL. Most NFL fans would say a final of 7-0 is too low scoring and boring. Do you get it now?
 untamed one
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/30/2008 1:52:25 PM
Toronto FC fans head to Columbus Ohio en masse for the 2008 opening game , 2500 fans show up at Crew Stadium ,
Here 's a quote from Today's Toronto Sun :
Soccer analyst and head of the York University soccer program, Paul James isn't surprised by the enthusiastic support.
"It's going to just get bigger and better." James said. "I can see the day when we'll end up taking 5,000 fans to stadiums."
But on a larger scale, James believes the passion and commitment of TFC fans could revolutionize the way North American sport is followed.
"It has got a chance of changing the sports fan. What European and Latin American soccer means in terms of the support is legitimately being replicated here."
And to fans like Matthew Patryluk, the motive for being apart of the travelling fan experience is simple.
"It's all about the soccer," Patryluk said. "I went to six games at the last World Cup and the fan support here is every bit as passionate as the fans from Argentina and Germany. It's bone-chilling."

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/03/30/5143051-sun.html
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 8:45:44 AM
Pedro a touchdown is worth 7 points because the offence was able to cross the defence's goal line and a feild goal is worth 3 points because the offence could only get close enough to kick the football through the goal posts and not close enough to cross the goal line and therefore should be worth less. There are a number of points in football (a safety is worth 2 points, a 2 point convert used late in the game when 7 points isn't enough to tie or win). Football is a little more complicated than soccer in terms of awarding points, but it is fair.
Regarding the lack of scoring in soccer, I still think there isn't enough. If there are many scoring opportunities and great saves then it could be a good game, but I find in the games I've watched that this just isn't the case. I hope to learn more about the game and am trying to watch the Toronto FC. Maybe they're not the team to watch if I'm trying to become a fan. As for you Pedro, I'm not sure you know enough about football(NFL) to intelligently comment on it. It's like me commenting on soccer. I do know a little, I even played it as a kid, but I don't know it well enough as you can see many disagree with me on my opinion of soccer. If many disagree with me, most likely I'M wrong. Just like if many disagree with YOU, you're probably wrong.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 2:26:57 PM
Pedro regarding the low scoring. Don't look at the point values, look at how many scores there are in the total game. In NFL football the average score in points is 35 -28 but in your terms of one score= one point the score would be 5-4. If there were this many goals in soccer that would be exciting and interesting, but there isn't . Too many soccer finals are 1-0 or 2-1 some are even 0-0. In NFL there are a total of 9 scores, thats what makes it better. Personally I like the CFL(Canadian Football League) better because there is even more scoring in that league. I don't think the low scoring can be denied in soccer, but I do agree that some low scoring games can be good if there are alot of scoring chances.

Mark
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 1:09:18 PM
Pedro, I would choose the second scenerio where my team won with only a field goal, but for future games I'd be concerned that my team's offence was bad and the defence won the game. If your team only scores 1 field goal/game, your team will not win too often. I know the saying in football(NFL) is "offence wins fans but defence wins games", but your team has to score in order to win.
I don't think that North Americans are obsessed with high scores in their sports, but scoring in moderation is interesting. Basketball and soccer have similar problems in regards to scoring. In basketball there is too much scoring and it's only the last few minutes that is worth watching because the team with the ball last wins . Soccer there is not enough scoring, let's face it a game with no scoring or chances is boring.

Mark
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 1:43:39 PM
nealinho, honestly I didn't realize that no scoring or chances was boring to only"to Americans! Not the rest of the world". To make it clear I'm Canadian, but I understand many still consider us Americans. Is low scoring really popular everywhere except North America? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just wasn't aware of this.

Mark
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2008 6:23:37 AM
Wizard, there is no need to get insulting. You are right, but insults aren't the way to go. I don't think Pedro really understands football(NFL). He probably hasn't even seen a game and for that reason alone he shouldn't be commenting on it unless he's trying to learn more about the game. Us insulting soccer is as bad as him insulting football(NFL), they are both wrong.
This thread was supposed to talk about MLS expansion. I think it has to gain more
interest before expansion otherwise the teams will lose money and the league will fold.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2008 7:43:55 AM
Wiz, I agree that Pedro has been insulting North Americans numerous times, and it is quite clear that Pedro has little or NO knowledge of NFL football. When you said "I can't fix stupid" is when you dropped to his level of insulting. Again Wiz I agree with you, I'm not sure why Europeans hate the sport of NFL football and are always defending soccer, I am however, trying to become a soccer fan. So far it hasn't worked out because I'm finding the game too slow and low scoring. Many have said this is an American problem and that the rest of the world enjoys low scoring sports.

Mark
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2008 8:43:34 AM
Regarding point value and low scoring. I'm also a fan of hockey and baseball. In these sports 1 goal = 1 point and I'm sure many would find a 1-o final in hockey would be boring. Most hockey finals are 4-2, 3-1, some are as high as 8-6(rarely) and some as low as 1-0. Even die hard hockey fans would say a final of 1-0 is boring unless the shots on net were 35-25. This would show there were many scoring chances but the goaltending was great. I don't think Americans want to see high numbers as the final score, they want to see scoring chances and goals. To Americans, this is what makes the game exciting, maybe not to Europeans.
Pedro as I said before I'm trying to become a soccer fan, I even subscribe to the sports programing so I can watch soccer games. I'm still learning the game, but am finding it difficult when there isn't enough scoring chances. It seems like 90 minutes of running passing the ball back and forth and nothing in terms of scoring happens.

Mark
 Agroman
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/6/2008 2:11:42 PM
I believe hockey has caught on in Europe as well, check out the NHL rosters.

I am a late comer to football as a fan and a recreational player, my carreer spans ages 10 to 15, hiatus for a few years then 48 to 52. MLS is great, TFC has an inpiring fan base. It also gives El Norte fans a chance to see a possible friendly with the likes of Newcastle, MANU, Liverpool, Arsenal or ( shudder) Chelsea.

It gives young football players in NA another dream to aspire to.

If the European teams are signing MLS players then it is another stepping stone to the "biggies" for NA talent.
 adru1028
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 5:00:49 AM
Finally we get GOL via satellite so we catch more La Liga as well as Italian & Bundesliga football here in America. Here in Houston they are forming club teams that have various age groups & their own home fields.
I thought I heard last week that Seattle will add an expansion team neat season. Just caught the tail end of the report so I can't be certain.
 untamed one
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/26/2008 5:26:30 PM

Montreal 's making serious inquiries for a MLS franchise . Saputo group has a SSS already at 13,000 capacity and can boost to 20,000 . Stade Saputo will also host 2 games of the CONCACAF champions league qualifiers , featuring Toronto FC , Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps .

Toronto FC heads to Montreal tomorrow for a historic meeting with USL side Montreal Impact 7:30pm , game available on cbc.ca or tape delay at on CBC at midnight .
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > MLS expansion - Philadelphia 16th team