Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Gun Control      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 351
view profile
History
Re: Gun ControlPage 15 of 50    (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50)
Halftime, LMFAO!

Guns are tools, but people can be at times too. Do any of you gun people wonder why we are the ONLY developed Nation in the known Universe that has a SERIOUS problem with guns? The Constitution does not guarantee unfettered access to firearms. Read it, understand it, then perhaps consider moving to Mogadishu.
 lola05
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Re: Gun Control
Posted: 7/28/2005 8:25:40 PM
" Mogadishu " !

^^^^^^ Shoots ... wildlife, .... with a camera !
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 2:33:47 AM
Some of us ARE in those countries already, what about US !!!!!!!!!

I am rapidly starting to conclude that owning firearms makes some people REALLY AGGRESSIVE !

Montreal_Guy
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 3:37:49 AM
And where specifically in the Bible does God mention the right to bear arms ? Is there an 11th Commandment I missed ?

11) Thou shalt have overpowering return fire to slay thy enemies ?

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
- Galatians 5:22-23
 marita_b
Msg: 355
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 8:49:17 AM
I'm so glad you grew up in such a safe and secure enviroment,....
 Double Cabin
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 9:02:01 AM
Redneck Girl, how many Americans died "accidentaly" because of guns last year?

Gun control is sanity. Why would anyone need an assualt rifle? I like to tenderize my meat in the kitchen, not the field.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 357
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 9:11:21 AM
^^^^So I'm guessing you belong to the Second Ammendment Foundation? Have you ever really considered what it implies? Where does it say anything about "Individual Rights?" Please, educate me for I fear I must be missing something? Doesnt it say something about "militias?"
 Frrosty
Msg: 358
Posted: 7/29/2005 10:21:57 AM
Do your part to stimulate the economy. Buy more guns, cigarettes and booze.

Ok, dude...I'm there!

I think Gun owners in Canada should have spot checks any time the authorities feel that it is right. (heck; I think all of N.A. could do well by this lil rule). That way a fine can be laid down ifa gun and/or ammo cabinet is left unlocked or some rifles from the collection just..you know...arn't there.

Owning guns is a major responsibility,as everyone will agree. Stupid gun ownership is as dangerous as illegal gun ownership in many cases, because MANY illegal guns BECOME illegal through..you know..stupid gun owners mistakes.

I'm going to go through this thread again to make sure I learn my lessons and some rules. If..um..maybe "when"..I get my rifle case; I wish to make sure that I'm a good boy too. I dunno; perhaps I just store some guns for those who use them most. Either way; I am going to be covered, and checked to wazoo. I will have authorities and regulators (so to speak), (meaning big tough men..with guns..and the will to shoot....all over me)

*shrugs*

I can handle it. I just need to make sure I'm smart.

My guns will likely kill...but..I think we'll eat that food.

Other than that; good luck finding them..because..we circulate.

And yes; police will be involved...of course...they seem to always get their guntime in.

*shrugs* That just means were safe...from prosecution..and..mistake.

kk; I'm off to read.

So basically its okay for stupid people to have guns

I say absolutely...

not.

These people may hurt..almost..anyone. (without knowing it even....so..)
 Frrosty
Msg: 359
Posted: 7/29/2005 10:27:08 AM
IF I had weapon, I would not bother registering it....costs too much, and is really nobodys' business if I do have one or not

Until your house gets broken into and your whole cache goes missing...

then what do you do. DO you let anybody know? (meaning the police..so they can send out feelers instantly?)

Most people would just...not.

(and now you've got hidden guns floating the streets with...well...who knows who..absolutely..unaccounted for)

Ya; that sounds smart to me. ;) No; I'm kidding here.

Couple years ago a criminal gang broke into a gun collectors house....took the pieces they wanted, and left....got their shopping list"

At least every other responsible gun enthusiast ALSO..knows that list....and well. Once they surface..bam. (you've got the scent of your guns..and the thiefs..as well)

Gun registration works?

depending on your goals....(depending on the reason for registration..I think I must say..yes)

I still have a 450 lb. crossbow with high-power scope which I am legally allowed to keep without permits

Am I allowed to...beg? Please tell me how to get this symbolic weapon sir. I want one SO bad.

(personal meaning to me actually) My uncle got one as a gift..and then,....he passed it on. I am not sure if it was EVER registered...and..I think the cops were cool with that. THAT signified HUGE trust in him.....and you.

now for the crossbow I think that one is pretty useless cause you would have to hit a vital place on the body or head.

Yes; a crossbow would indicate some mastery...and....that really does exist..so. A crossbow is..respect.
 Frrosty
Msg: 360
Posted: 7/29/2005 10:46:15 AM
SO IF SOMEONE WANTS TO MAKE A RESPONSE TO THIS, ANSWER ME THIS:
IF YOU REMOVE "GUN CONTROL" AS A SOLUTION TO THE "PROBLEMS" WITH GUNS, WHAT KIND OF SOLUTIONS SHOULD WE COME UP WITH? HOW DO WE "EDUCATE" PEOPLE ABOUT GUN SAFETY, AND HOW SHOULD HONEST, DECENT, LAW-ABIDING (ARMED) CITIZENS GO ABOUT ENSURING THAT CHILDREN, RETARDS, AND PSYCHOS DON'T HAVE EASY ACCESS TO GUNS?

I['m with this guy here. I think you're awesome dude..please speak on my behalf...everything you say seems to be...on. (as far as I'm concerned)

Collectables...take the firing pin out.

great solution for collectables. (I guess I concur?)
 Frrosty
Msg: 361
Posted: 7/29/2005 11:13:36 AM
Guns are illegal in DC!!??

THAT is unbelievable!!! I would guss that SO many handguns go through there on the backs of Secret Service and Lobbyists!!!! I guess only those who are NOT in the power circles get busted for infringements though? I would bet a TON that many of the handguns put into circulation within DC streets come from NRA lobbyists and licenced power brokers...but..that would just be a real blind guess.

I would think most guns in the DC streets are well known too. (and exactly where they are supposed to be and serving the purposes that they want served....as evil as that mandate sounds)

*shrugs*

I do not trust power brokers with those guns. The "right to bare arms" has been around for a long longh long long time...you gotta know that families have learned to use that system and it's rules (inculding breakage of those rules) as aptly as can be.
 lola05
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 12:08:03 PM

bulldogmedic
" The people's individual right to be armed ought to be respected and the resulting armed populace will be secure against tyranny, invasion, and crime. "

evanism
" The Bill of Rights was added to the Constitution in the form of amendments. The chief purpose of the amendments was to protect the rights of individuals from the government's interference. "

( i offer this in lieu of a personal reponse because, ... quite frankly,
i couldn't have put it better. --> Major reality check ! ... Thanks woodrow ! )

woodrow9876 - Msg: 294

" The historical context of the amendment (key word there, amendment, as it sort of indicates the constitution is able to be changed...) is something that seems to be quite easily forgotten.

Why?

Because the world moves on. At the time of writing the constitution, the reality of 'arms' was muskets. Rifles that you could fire, if you were well trained and very fast, maybe 2 or 3 shots in a minute or two? The rationale for use was that the country, very young and built on war and uprising, was not stable enough to promise that the citizens of the country wouldn't need a citizen militia to hold off some marauding fringe group trying to take over.

Fast forward 200 years. Yup...200 years.

The situation now is not the same as it was at the time of writing, and while I know there are a lot of pro-gun people who also think the Bible should be followed verbatim, the reality is that given enough time, progress happens. Like the bible's okay with slavery, and subjugating women, and stoning people for rather minor transgressions but in the past 2000 years, we have kind of realized that's a no-no. Same goes for the reality of the world at the time of the constitution being written. So...

Let's assume that hunting and recreational gun use (what a term, but I digress) are no problem. We let licensed hunters and 'target shooters' have their rifles. But, what of handguns? When we talk about comparative gun ownership levels, we always seem to consider rifles and hand guns in the same boat. They're not. For one thing, they're much more likely to be used in crimes, they're much more easily available in the U.S. than anywhere else, and...if we're going to be oh so picky about 200 year amendments...they didn't exist back then. And, while we're at it, handguns aren't what citizen militias should arm themselves with anyway.

Hand guns, if we're going to go with the amendment as it was written, should be banned, no? I mean, there's not one example I can think of where a citizen army with .22s and colt .45s had a chance to actually do anything about their big, bad government. So handguns are obviously out.

Forget self-protection by the way, that's not the point of the amendment. Why? Because at the time, guns weren't real useful for that. Try putting a musket under your pillow in case of home invasion, you'll get the picture.

But here's the other thing...your 'citizen' militia? I swear to god, I can think of no funnier situation than if you poor, paranoid gun owners actually found yourselves in a position where you had to protect yourself from your own, rabid, nutso government.

You would get the a** kicking of a lifetime. I find it no end of entertaining to hear the various 'gun experts' and 'survival' types go on and on about self-defence, martial arts and gun ownership and you know something? Almost every single one of them are, as far as I can tell, flameouts from either the Navy Seals or Marines or some G.I. Joe outfit they wanted to join as a kid and then found themselves unable to make the grade (I suspect the psych screening caught 'em, but from the looks of them, they're not exactly greek-god like in their physique either). So, for you guys out there ready to take up arms against the big, bad, old Big Brother...please...everyone else can see you're still in that 'let's dress up and play guns' emotional/maturity level. No one's impressed. Have you seen some of the guys in those militias? They make Elmer Fudd's hunting escapades look like Stallone in First Blood.

Please, can you guys stop with the 'we need guns in case the government gets uppity' routine? It's laughable. It's laughable except for the fact that in the meantime you make sane people very nervous because we know you're sitting their in the dark, oiling your 'musket' (which isn't a euphamism for actual masturbation, but rather a euphamism for the patriotic masturbation that your paranoid delusions end up being), and getting ready for the day the black helicopters from the U.N. come dropping from the sky to take over the globe.

Trust me. You have, in the grand scheme of things, something called "little" guns. The army, navy, and other government agencies have something called "big" guns. You don't stand a chance, and while I can't see humanity's collective I.Q. taking a real big hit if you guys did get yourself into a battle with the government and getting yourselves wiped out, I would much prefer it if you could just sort of, well, stop watching the conspiracy theory shows and sign up to the little reality TV show called 'life'. "

evanism ?

It's pretty clear that it is "the right of the people to keep and bare arms"

i fully support your right to, bare your arms !
But ... Only If, ... they're Buff, ... k ?

* thanks for the recipe Nittany ... Yummmmm !
!!! ---> (thot it was a US chocolate bar !)
 CountIbli
Msg: 363
Posted: 7/29/2005 12:12:59 PM

Why would anyone need an assualt rifle?

Why would anyone need free speech?
 CountIbli
Msg: 364
Posted: 7/29/2005 12:14:40 PM

Doesnt it say something about "militias?"

It also says something about "the right of the people." Perchance do you know what the militia is? Can you back that opinion up with federal statute?
 Double Cabin
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 12:20:05 PM
I see militia, I see people, I do not see individual. A person is not a militia or a "people." We can argue semantics for sometime I guess. Infringement is the key word. Is it an infringement to limit lethal weapons, or an infringement on the people that have to deal with them in their neighborhoods. I personaly believe I'm entitled to live in a safer country than I now do, and that that right supercedes someone else's right to unfettettered access to firearms. Do you think any of our founding fathers imagined far more people dieing almost every month from gunfire than died during the entire Revolution? Gun enthusiasts are paranoid of what I would argue to be public safety minded people like myself that believe gun availability as it is in this country is a public health concern will take all of their guns away. We couldn't if we wanted to, there are far too many extent. What we can do is a whole lot better job of Gun education and competency evaluation than we have done extent. If you want to own an assault rifle, fine. I just hope you understand that is one more assault rifle out there to be stolen by who knows who. The more prolific firearms have become in our society the more people have died from them. I love hunters, but anyone that says they need an assault rifle just loves the lethal power of it in my estimation. I carried a big hand gun for the first time in 20 years a couple of weeks ago because I was alone in thick Grizzly Country and it was within the law. I didn't like it, but boy do understand the need for that. If you think you need an assault rifle to defend your home perhaps it is in fact not really a home at all.
 CountIbli
Msg: 366
Posted: 7/29/2005 12:23:12 PM

The Constitution does not guarantee unfettered access to firearms. Read it, understand it, then perhaps consider moving to Mogadishu.

Well, it says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It doesn't qualify which arms we are allowed to have. How does fettering our access to firearms not infringe upon the right to keep and bear arms?
 lola05
Msg: 367
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 12:33:26 PM

" I would think most guns in the DC streets are well known too. (and exactly where they are supposed to be and serving the purposes that they want served....as evil as that mandate sounds) "

Frrosty, ... i agree. ... A sad, but potential truth.
The well funded NRA does comprise a large number of the white and wealthy.
"Evil" ? nah, ... social engineering ?
(wonders, if the 'poor' white gun owners in 'bad neighborhoods' ... 'get it'.)

Pariah66
" Natural Selection...new look, same principal."

....with just a lil help from the NRA !
 lola05
Msg: 368
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 12:46:23 PM

CountIbli
" Well, it says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It doesn't qualify which arms we are allowed to have. "

Well, ... it sorta ... Does. ... How do you feel about muskets ?
 lola05
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 1:01:29 PM

double cabin
" Why would anyone need an assualt rifle? "

Yeah ! Indeed, .... Why, on god's green earth...
Would ... someone need that kind of weapon for personal use ?
( k, ... waaaay, ... less "green", ... but i digress)

Still haven't seen a practical answer to that.
maybe cus ... there ... isn't one ??

hmmmm,

..... I GOT IT !!! ------> Social Engineering .... !!!
( just knew, it had to be .... something !)
 lola05
Msg: 370
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 1:15:41 PM

redneck girl
" We were glad for that gun behind the TV, cause that meant that Mom cared."

As Bugs Bunny would say, ... " Sheeeesh " !

( ... can't stop thinkin, ... i'm pickin fights with Elmer Fudd ! )

i'nnn gonna git yooo ... wabbitt !
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 371
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 1:23:25 PM
Holds up sign that says " Yikes ! "
 lola05
Msg: 372
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 1:43:00 PM
fasterfaster , i only have one thing to say to you ! ----> Harder Harder !

Edit: ... sorry, just can't get past that name. :)
 Double Cabin
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2005 2:15:17 PM
Bulldog, you are correct in that individual rights must be protected, like religion or sexual orientation. Individual rights however do not supercede the public well being. What consenting people do in the privacy of their own home harms someone else only within their own mind, and is therefore protected by the 14th Ammendment. Statistics, just compare the US to the rest of the developed world, more than indicate that unfettered access to firearms is a threat to public welfare. We are simply far more likely to die accidentaly or otherwise by gunfire than anywhere else in the developed world. Gun control advocacy, on whatever level, is a petition by a "people," not a person, to make their communities safer than they are. If you can show any reasonable statistics and put them into a syllogism that show guns make us safer I'll certainly give them consideration. Until then I'll continue to hold my right to safety over your right to excessive arming. If you feel you need an assault rifle to protect your home than we need to look at some rational social engineering in your community. If you feel you have the right to own an assault rifle for personal gratification than I'm not qualified to suggest what you need to do or who you need to see.
 CountIbli
Msg: 374
Posted: 7/29/2005 3:35:15 PM

If the government kicked your door in, murdered your child, raped your women, you'd wish you had an AK-47, too. If you think that's an implausible situation, then I need only point you to 1930's Germany.

Or modern Rwanda.
 CountIbli
Msg: 375
Posted: 7/29/2005 3:37:00 PM

Well, ... it sorta ... Does. ... How do you feel about muskets ?

Where does the word musket appear in the Constitution?
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Gun Control