Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Gun Control      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lola05
Msg: 401
view profile
History
Re: Gun ControlPage 17 of 50    (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50)
MajMikeW

" Each year in the US doctor's kill around 44,000 (or more) people, three times the number of people guns kill ..."

omg !!! You've got ... That ... many (?!) ... Homicidal doctors running around ?!?!
... or is it, ... like, ... just 1 guy who's really, really, busy ?!

" ... number of people guns kill after eliminating suicides (could be easily achieved by other means)."

Naaaaah, ... Not...Quite .... as "easily ". ;)

" In that decade an estimated additional 50 million firearms were added to the total in private ownership in the US, and despite this these reductions in deaths happened anyway."

~ " As of 1994, 44 million Americans owned more than 192 million firearms, 65 million of which were handguns. Although there were enough guns to have provided every U.S. adult with one, only 25% of adults owned firearms. Seventy-four percent (74%) of gun owners possessed two or more firearms. " - National Institute of Justice, May 1997

[ "The National Safety Council “Injury Facts 2003” reports that since 1993, firearm homicides are down 41 percent, and fatal firearm accidents have dropped 49 percent to the lowest levels since records have been kept, beginning in 1903. " ]

" This shows a reduction of almost one half within a decade of all deaths due to gun
homicides and accidents, a tremendous positive change. I attribute much of this to
emphasis on gun safety and proper storage, as well as prosecution of people not using
guns legally/properly."

~ "gun safety and proper storage " ? Like ... " Gun Control " ?
... Like ... You guys ...( excluding you, Mike), ... controlling ... Your ... guns (?!)
... Less theft ? ... Fewer accidents ?

... of course, ... there Was ... that other thing too ... the ...

--->" Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence " ... duuuuh , ..." Brady Bill " ?!
 lola05
Msg: 402
view profile
History
Re: Gun Control
Posted: 7/31/2005 6:24:15 PM
timpommell

" In all, I have to say I have enjoyed participating in this debate ... "

And it's been a pleasure having you here, Tim.

" US is perceived to be somehow responsible for supplying the Canadian criminal element with illegal weaponry. "

US " responsible " ? Legally ? ... i would say, no.
However, the US citizens who Do, ... knowingly participate and collude with Canadian traffickers in their intent, ... to smuggle illicit firearms across the Canadian border ... would, ... in my view, be legally liable.

" Since the debate seems to be parsed along international boundaries, I would presume to suggest that the Canadians expend their intellect and energy lobbying for stricter enforcement of their own gun laws "

Yes, Tim, there are many, doing just that.
... Ultimately the responsibility to protect our country, from illicit substances and products, lies with us. AT our Canadian borders and ports. The proliferation of guns on your side though ... (a hop, skip, and a jump away ), does significantly increase that challenge.
In other words .... You Guys ... arn't helping, ... Damn it !!!

... and in the words of ..Dubbya, "Yer with us, or ... yer a-Gainst us ! "
 TimPommell
Msg: 403
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2005 6:32:53 PM

In other words .... You Guys ... arn't helping, ... Damn it !!!

... or in the words of ..Dubbya, "Yer with us, or ... yer a-Gainst us ! "

Well.... I seem to remember a lot of flack from your former PM on the Iraq issue.... seems awfully selfish to ask us for assistance with one of YOUR problems, when you {Canada} went out of your way to prevent us from resolving ours.....
The only way to stop crime is to increase the penalties ... I believe the death penalty should be used in a lot more cases than it is, and the appelate process needs to be expidited. We have people with 20 + years on death row... I say limit it to 5 years on death row and include ALL crimes against other human beings, involving weapons, as punishable by death.
 lola05
Msg: 404
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2005 7:07:35 PM
MajMikeW

" ...the Brady Bill didn't do squat to help gun safety. The weapons effected (so-called assault weapons) were involved in less than 1% of all gun crime, so no big help there. "

Tell that to a cop the next time you're trying to talk your way out of a ticket.

" Military style, semi-automatic assault weapons pose a grave risk to law enforcement officers. 1 in every 5 law enforcement officers slain in the line of duty between January 1st, 1998, and December 31st, 2001, were killed with assault weapons according to the report;
Officer Down--Assault Weapons and the War on Law Enforcement,
published by the Violence Policy Center in Washington, D.C.

Doctor's nationwide are responsible for around 44,000 deaths each year, out of over aquarter-million 'mistakes' with patients.

Don't worry Mike, i assumed you were alluding to mistakes.
And i know this possible number seems staggering to you, but have you asked yourself,
'x' number, out of ... What number of medical interaction situations occuring in the
US per year ?
~ If you'd like to consider risk, try factoring in a lil statistical probabilty theory.
Before, ...you ... ' Jump the Gun ' ... and start comparing variables.

" Anyone serious about suicide will use whatever means are necessary, a gun does not cause suicide, and people were doing it for millenia before gunpowder was invented. "

(sigh) ... " a gun does not cause suicide " ... hellooooo, NOBODY is saying it Does !
... however, having to keep pointing that out, ... IS makin me wanna Shoot myself !!!

<----------- Runs, .... Screaming !!! ... away from her computer !
 Double Cabin
Msg: 405
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2005 7:07:41 PM
^^^Canada backed us on Afghanistan which was the right thing to do. I commend all thinking Canadians for their government's now proven wisdom on staying out of Iraq. Don't blame Canada man, look within!
 TimPommell
Msg: 406
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2005 7:44:17 PM

^^^Canada backed us on Afghanistan which was the right thing to do. I commend all thinking Canadians for their government's now proven wisdom on staying out of Iraq. Don't blame Canada man, look within!

Oh man, another tree hugger... The only problem with liberals is they forget they supported issues once they become unpopular, it was this way during Viet Nam, the Gulf War and now the liberation of Iraq. I can't wait for the liberals to pick a side, and stick with it! Reminds me of the attention span of a three year old distracted by flashing lights.
 lola05
Msg: 407
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2005 7:56:51 PM
timpommell

" ... your former PM on the Iraq issue ... seems awfully selfish to ask us for assistance with one of YOUR problems, when you {Canada} went out of your way to prevent us from resolving ours..... "

"Prevent" ??? ... well god forbid (or is it ... Bush forbid ) that, that man, should have an Opinion.
.... aaaaaand, ... i might as well inform our Canadian Forces who have fought, and are still fighting in Afghanistan, ... that they might as well come home, ... since their efforts and deaths are apparently going unnoticed.

'Your' Iraq "problem, ---> 'our' illegal gun import problem (from our neighbor, America) ?

Odd comparison by Tim .... nuuuumberrrr 8, ... 10 ?

" The only way to stop crime is to increase the penalties ... I believe the death penalty should be used in a lot more cases than it is, and the appelate process needs to be expidited. We have people with 20 + years on death row... I say limit it to 5 years on death row and include ALL crimes against other human beings, involving weapons, as punishable by death. "

If you're talking about what will make... You ... feel good. Well, ... ok.
... bizarre, ... but ok.

If you're trying to imply some sort of deterrence factor ? ...
Do a lil research. And don't base your opinion on anything that isn't written by
qualified "experts ". You know, ... people like, ... criminologists.
And then, if after study, you choose to reject their conclusions. ... So be it.

( ... sure beats the hell outta me trying to convince you. ~ When i could be doing
something more pleasant. ... like plucking my eyebrows ... or 'waxing', my .... legs.)

Edit : " Reminds me of the attention span of a three year old distracted by flashing lights."
ROFLMAO !!! ... Hey Tim, just stick to the jokes okay. lol
 TimPommell
Msg: 408
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2005 8:59:55 PM
1.) I didn't mention Afghanistan, I said Iraq.... on my map they are two very different places, just like the US and Canada. I'm not confusing the issues, you are.
2.) My perspective on gun control is not to make ownership of firearms illegal, that won't prevent criminals from using them (Common Sense 101). Rather, it's to enforce current laws and provide stiffer penalties for those criminals that do decide to use firearms as a part of their chosen vocation. As for the safety of the public at large, we teach our children to look both ways to cross the street, not to touch the stove because it's hot, and yet with all of that, some people think that teaching them to avoid firearms is over the top. Doesn't it seem kind of silly to wave the "ban firearms" banner by itself when at the very least logic dictates that automobiles and kitchen ranges should occupy the same flagpole? Assuming of course the goal is to protect innocents from undue harm, and not just a "because I don't like them" agenda...
3.) As for it making "me" feel better, I'm quite content with things the way they are, I was merely offering what I felt would be a reasonable and acceptable compromise to every law abiding citizen, irrespective of country.
4.) I've done quite a bit of research, and from what I've seen gun ownership is a crime deterant. Just this year Florida passed a "lethal force" law. You are no longer required to run and hide from an asailant, you can legally use lethal force to protect yourself and property when confronted with the threat of physical violence, without fear of prosecution... It's too early to tell, but I have a feeling violent crimes in the state of Florida are about to decline significantly.
5.) Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I am wrong, or close minded.... it's sort of ironic how most liberals automatcally label everyone who disagrees with them as close minded.... kind of make you think they are incapable of seeing things in any way but their own narrow perspective ... could it be that they are ... dare I say it.... close minded?!?!?!
 lola05
Msg: 409
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2005 11:29:14 PM
timpommell

" 1.) I didn't mention Afghanistan, I said Iraq.... on my map they are two very different places, just like the US and Canada. I'm not confusing the issues, you are. "

Your point was about ... Canadians ' helping ' Americans ? As follows ;

" ... your former PM on the Iraq issue ... seems awfully selfish to ask us for assistance with one of YOUR problems, when you {Canada} went out of your way to prevent us from resolving ours..... "

You forgot to consider Afghanistan. That's why, ... i "mentioned" it.

" I've done quite a bit of research, and from what I've seen gun ownership is a crime deterant. "

May i suggest then, that you explore a broader collection of sources .

" most liberals automatcally label everyone who disagrees with them as close minded ... "

Not sure who this is adressed to ( ? ) ... i haven't seen anyone label you, yet.
Or use the words, " close minded " on Anyone.

TimPommell
Msg: 410
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2005 3:14:12 AM

You forgot to consider Afghanistan. That's why, ... i "mentioned" it.

I didn't forget, it wasn't the point I was making, that's why I specifically said Iraq. (I'm pretty sure your former PM didn't bash US participation in Afghanistan, and quite certain I didn't either.) Taking things out of context and / or reading things into statements is what leads to opinions based on emotion not fact. You can spin anything you want to justify your position, but please refrain from telling me what I meant to say. (I'm perfectly capable of making misstatements all by myself!)

May i suggest then, that you explore a broader collection of sources .

Suggest away ... preferably something that reports facts rather than opinion. You have no idea how tiresome it is to listen to people spin and skew "facts" to the point where they've lost their true meaning simply to support a position that defies logic. Like the guy who wants all people disarmed ... "all people" would include police and military. I'm sure he meant to list them as exceptions, and probably a few others as well ... but he didn't say it, and I'm not going to debate what wasn't said to aid him in supporting his own position. I suppose in a perfect world we could all sit around the campfire holding hands, roasting marshmallows and singing kumbaya, but until the mothership arrives to take us there, we'll all just have to make due with this world... Again, just because I disagree doesn't mean I'm wrong anymore than it means you're right.

Not sure who this is adressed to ( ? ) ... i haven't seen anyone label you, yet.
Or use the words, " close minded " on Anyone.

Actually that was a shot across Cabin's bow, *note the "tree hugger" reference* in my previous post, he's a naturalist / conservationist, AKA Tree Hugger (usually liberal). But since the liberal aspect of the post seems to bother you; My Grandpa told me that if you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one you hit... In this case it I simply pointed out common liberal traits, and so far you're the only one who yelped.....
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 411
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2005 5:50:50 AM
Maybe a conservative trait is throwing rocks ?

By the way, not only did we agree with Afghanistan - we sent our troops in too. We have had men that died there - both by terrorist actions, and one hot dog American pilot.

We are still there now, and our troops are moving into one of the most dangerous areas there( Kandahar) .

I don't think any of the "anti-gun" side of this argument wants to remove any rights. As I have said many times, gun control ( in the sense that we mean it ) is pretty much an impossible issue to vote for down there.

Americans have the right to decide on how they want to live, as do Canadians.

Our point is that our system does work, you can see that every day here.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 412
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2005 6:15:39 AM
The death penalty only deters the people executed.

People still commit crimes that carry that penalty. Just look at every Friday in Saudi Arabia, people get beheaded for drug offenses - and there are always more to fill their shoes next week.

Same thing in the USA, or anywhere else in the world.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 413
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2005 7:33:20 AM
Timponeel, read about Charles Lindbergh and America First before you decide what motivates liberals. Again, Afghanistan had it coming to them, Iraq did not. Bush's dad knew there'd be a power vaccum and didn't go on to Bagdad whetehr it was the UN mandate or not. Iraq is a seriously misplaced priority that thanks to short minded folks like yourself is now a colossal problem that will last throughout our lives. I'm not a tree hugger, tthought this argument was about Guns, but I certainly do appreciate the trees processing of carbon monoxide, especailly with this excess.

Man, how can you see what's happened, or hasn't happened, in more than two years there and not UNDERSTAND that at the very least it was an incredibly misplaced priority? Please, "Think, It'sy Patriotic."

Time to saddle some horses. Support the troops but not the folly of a policy that killed a dozen of them this past week. Do you know how many REAL conservatives vehemently opposed our entry into Iraq? George Will, William F. Buckley, etc. What did they see that you don't friend?
 lola05
Msg: 414
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2005 3:45:47 PM
MajMikeW

" (assault weapons) ... a higher percentage are used in police homicides, roughly ten percent. "

uh ... as i was saying. Perhaps, you don't consider this to be a significant percentage
and therefore, a 'problem' ? ( ... good luck with that 'ticket' )

" (Our deadliest mass murders have either involved arson or bombs.) "

Don't forget airplanes (!) ... Our ... "deadliest mass murder " involved an assault weapon
at the Universite de Montreal , Ecole Polytechnique.
... i refer you to a previous post by Montreal Guy - (Msg: 656)

"( For those outside of Canada, a man walked into that university and slaughtered 14 women and wounded 15 other women on December 6. 1989 - before killing himself. )
~ It was the worst mass murder in Canadian history, and forced massive changes in our already tough gun laws. "

This tragedy led to a major ban on assault weapons and the 'clips' that enabled this guy to spray, with ease, a large number of lethal bullets in minimal time. Which consequently minimized the possibility of victim escape, and the logistics of bystander intervention.

" As far as the number of medical interactions each year I agree that it is a large population from which to draw the mistakes, but my point was that we have many 'health' problems here in the US and guns are not at or near the top of the heap (imo). BTW, I am a statistician. "

<-------- (Completely Stunned !)

A Statistician ?!?!? ~ Well then, you have absolutely No excuse for making the comparisons that you've been making ! In fact, if i were you ... i wouldn't even have confessed that !

When considering the US "health problems " you choose to compare, ... the relative risks to an individual who chooses to recieve health care, ... versus the risks posed to an individual that are the consequence of living in a society containing a large number of guns, which originated with a minority. You are making a comparison similar to ... uhhhh, ... say ... apples and .... twinkies ?

As well, consider momentarily, the concept of ... "cost/ benefit " analysis while comparing the relative risk of 2 variables.

'?' - number of people significantly helped by US Health Care.
'?' - number of people significantly harmed by US Health Care.

Now consider,

'?' - number of people significantly helped be gun ownership
'?' - number of people significantly harmed in gunownership households or by
living in the presence of the enormous number of guns now circulating in the US,
( due to that minority gun owners).

( * 'significant' would exclude 'antidotal' subjects from inclusion in these samples,
... increasing the scientific validity of results, ... as you would know)

Where ? ... did you get your degree ? ... and to what end could you be applying it ? ! The validity of your results would, in my view, be highly questionable ... based on what i've seen.

" Regarding the suicides my point is that they can all be achieved by other means, so to vilify guns for this reason is (to me) misleading. I'll agree that guns are used for many suicides if you will agree that they could all have been achieved by other means."

" Suicide is still the leading cause of firearm death in the U.S., representing 56% of total 2002 gun deaths nationwide. In 2002, the U.S. firearm suicide total was 17,108, a 1% increase from 2001 numbers. Most suicides in the U.S. are committed with firearms. "
"More than half of all suicides in the U.S. are committed with firearms. In 2002, 54% of all suicides in the U.S. were committed with guns."
CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2005

" A gun in the home is 4 times more likely to be involved in an unintentional shooting, 7 times more likely to be used to commit a criminal assault or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be used to attempt or commit suicide than to be used in self-defense. "
-A Kellerman, et al. Journal of Trauma, August 1998;
- Kellerman AL, Lee RK, Mercy JA, et al. "The Epidemiological Basis for the Prevention
of Firearm Injuries." Annu.Rev Public Health. 1991; 12:17-40.)

" People who keep guns at home have a 72% greater chance of being killed by firearms and are 3.44 times more likely to commit suicide than those who do not keep guns at home."
Annals of Emergency Medicine, Vol 41, p. 771

" In 2002, a total of 828 young Americans ages 10-19 committed suicide with firearms, a decrease of 11% from the 2001 total of 928 youth gun suicides. Unlike suicide attempts using other methods, suicide attempts with guns are nearly always fatal, meaning a temporarily depressed teenager will never get a second chance at life. Nearly two-thirds of all completed teenage suicides involve a firearm. "
CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2005.

" On average, 68% of suicides for youth ages 15-24 are committed with guns.
John McIntosh, 1995 Statistical Training Aides, American Association of Suicidology,
Washington, DC, 1998.

"Unlike suicide attempts using other methods, 92% of suicide attempts with guns are fatal."
Wintemute, et. al., "The Choice of Weapons in Firearm Suicides," American Journal of Public Health, Vol 78, No. 7, July 1988, p. 824.

"The firearms used in 72% of unintentional firearm deaths and injuries and in firearm suicide attempts and completions for people ages 0-19 were stored in the residence of the victim, their relative, or their friend. "
Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Study, published in the Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine, August 1999

" Homes with guns are 5 times more likely to experience the suicide of a household member "
Arthur Kellerman, New England Journal of Medicine, 1993, and Peter Cummings, American Journal of Public Health, 1997

" Lastly, about another's post concerning the death penalty and deterrence. The person we are seeking to deter in the criminal, his/her death achieves that rather effectively. If it deters others great, but at least that one will never do it again. "

A death is not required to accomplish this. Incarceration is sufficient.

"That said, I am concerned with the men falsely imprisoned and on death row. I hope that with DNA we can now reduce the chance of that ever happening again. I might support a moratorium on carrying out the death penalty until all cases are reviewed again, depending on the nature and history of the case."

i am too. ... i am also concerned about those who were, and are, unquestionably mentally ill. .... As well as the presence of the intellectually handicapped.

In addition, ... institutionalized violence concerns me, in a ' civilized ' society.

" [Sorry to make you run away screaming] "

s'ok ... *grin* , i've since had a good nights sleep and am feeling rather refreshed.
 TimPommell
Msg: 415
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2005 7:25:55 PM
Lola
These are from the stats YOU posted;

As of 1994, 44 million Americans owned more than 192 million firearms, 65 million of which were handguns. Although there were enough guns to have provided every U.S. adult with one, only 25% of adults owned firearms. Seventy-four percent (74%) of gun owners possessed two or more firearms. " - National Institute of Justice, May 1997

and

In 2002, the U.S. firearm suicide total was 17,108

so to answer this question;

'?' - number of people significantly helped be gun ownership

Roughly 96 million (give or take 26%) The sense of safety goes a long way towards the preservation of mental health.

'?' - number of people significantly harmed in gunownership households or by
living in the presence of the enormous number of guns now circulating in the US,
( due to that minority gun owners).

17,108 or 1.8%, which by your own admission were (at least in part) likely to seek another method of self destruction.
So, to answer your question, 98.2% of gun owners benefit from ownership, while 1.8% experience harm. However, of the 1.8% a significant number would have experienced the same fate even without the availability of a firearm, so to be completely fair, the 1.8% is an exaggerated number.
 TimPommell
Msg: 416
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2005 7:53:42 PM
Caboom

Iraq is a seriously misplaced priority that thanks to short minded folks like yourself is now a colossal problem that will last throughout our lives.

See what I mean about liberals? An overwhelming majority of congress voted to empower the President to invade Iraq, the minority was split almost evenly along party lines... Now, since it has become unpopular amongst the Hollywood elite and tree hugging society, they conveniently forget that they were firmly behind it at the beginning.
Us short-minded folk tend to stick with our convictions, and pay little heed to the wafflers of the left. I am not pro-war, and cringed at the thought of invading Iraq, BUT... the people WE elected determined that there was no other feasible means to resolve the Iraq issue, and from day one till day last, I will firmly support them in the tough decisions they have to make even though I, uninformed as I am, may not be able to piece together the big picture.
I do think that perhaps there was some monkey business with the intelligence used to arrive at the decision to invade, but since at the time the intelligence was gathered a Democrat was chairman of the intelligence committee, I think throwing stones is a mistake.
Just to stay on topic, I'll wager the Chairman of the Intelligence Committee was a gun owner in private who publically denounces the second amendment!
Oh, some things are not made public due to national security issues, so consider the very large probability that you do not have all of the facts... Think! it's Patriotic!
 TimPommell
Msg: 417
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2005 5:59:53 AM

The death penalty only deters the people executed.

To quote Forrest Gump, "One less thing..."

People still commit crimes that carry that penalty. Just look at every Friday in Saudi Arabia, people get beheaded for drug offenses - and there are always more to fill their shoes next week.

I agree people still commit crimes that have severe penalties... these are what I like to call "criminals". Most are devoid of compassion and morals, and with no respect for others, you cannot expect them to value their own life, especially when they're practically guarenteed another 20+ years with 3 hots & a cot if convicted.

Same thing in the USA, or anywhere else in the world.

Precisely my point, guns do not create the criminal or the crime, and changing the rules doesn't reduce crime since criminals don't seem to hold the rules in high regard anyway.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 418
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:05:40 AM
I don't see this as an attack on guns.

I doubt most of us are against responsible gun owners. The point we are trying to make is that far too many people are not - and that is why we have the problems we have today.

America has more restrictions in place for cars than guns, and guns can do far more damage. No one is saying to take away arms, but just to remove the mental block that proper management of them is somehow wrong.

It's funny how cars ( whose very possesion is another "right" in modern society) are regulated without anyone screaming " Big Brother" .
 Herkimer
Msg: 419
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:08:13 AM
Exactly what is the definition of an assault weapon? Does being semiautomatic necessarily make it one?
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 420
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:17:01 AM

A genuine assault weapon, as opposed to a legal definition, is a hand-held, selective fire weapon, which means it's capable of firing in either an automatic or a semiautomatic mode depending on the position of a selector switch. These kinds of weapons are heavily regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 and are further regulated in some states. (See machine guns.)

However, current "assault weapon" legislation defines certain semi-automatic weapons as "assault weapons." A semi-automatic weapon is one that fires a round with each pull of the trigger, versus an automatic weapon which continues to shoot until the trigger is released or the ammunition supply is exhausted. These kinds of "assault weapons" are sometimes referred to as military-style semi-automatic weapons.

An example of assault weapon legislation is the Federal 1994 Crime Bill. The bill in part outlaws new civilian manufacture of certain semi-automatic assault weapons. It also prohibits new civilian manufacture of "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" declared certain weapons as assault weapons, and states a semi-automatic rifle is an assault weapon if it can accept a detachable magazine and has two or more of the following:

A folding or telescoping stock
A pistol grip
A bayonet mount
A flash suppressor, or threads to attach one
A grenade launcher.

source : http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcassaul.html
 Herkimer
Msg: 421
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:26:26 AM
TY....so...a stock and a grip make a gun more lethal? Hardly....
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 422
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:33:17 AM
It does make it far more easy to conceal - not something that is needed for legal uses.
 Herkimer
Msg: 423
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:36:46 AM
wow..I have a semi-automatic rifle with bipods and a pistol grip...I guess I am a law breaker now...silly me....and here I am tryin to hide that big gun in my pocket lol
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 424
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:43:24 AM
Those flash suppressors and grenade launchers really add to the hunting experience.

Nothing like a 249 or a 203 to go after deer with.
 grplaman
Msg: 425
Gun Control
Posted: 8/2/2005 7:27:41 AM
I think we should all be in control of a gun. I got mine and I'd never give them up. Those who don't have any-fine. But when something major happens in this country-those without guns, will be the first casulties............A bunch of "Sitting Ducks".
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Gun Control