Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Gun Control      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lola05
Msg: 651
view profile
History
Re: Gun ControlPage 27 of 50    (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50)
~ Tim, i am very impressed, that you are obviously a vigilant parent.
. . However, i sincerely hope that you don't strike that kid.

" Violence breeds Violence " ~ " Live by the Sword, ..Die by the Sword."

timpommell
" Let's allow history to dictate which is the most effective method, shall we?
The old fashioned “spare the rod spoil the child” method, zero school shootings.

Please refresh my memory as to exactly when that, "historical" period was ?
And try to be specific .. k?

~ " NRA fairies " ~ ~> (luv...·:*:·. fairies .·:*:·. ! )
 TimPommell
Msg: 653
view profile
History
Re: Gun Control
Posted: 8/24/2005 10:31:31 PM

" Violence breeds Violence " ~ " Live by the Sword, ..Die by the Sword."

I have never used a sword to discipline my children. Interesting thought but a bit harsh.... I'm shocked the suggestion came from a tree huggin, hand holdin, kumbaya singin Canadian such as yerself.

Please refresh my memory as to exactly when that, "historical" period was ?
And try to be specific .. k?

Well let's see. I graduated from HS in '78, and at that time they had just stopped allowing students to say the lords prayer aloud (we switched to the "moment of silence"), but you could still use the word God in the pledge of allegiance, and get your fanny tanned by the principal when you were disruptive or disrespectful. So Alex, I'll take everything prior to 1978 for a thousand....
 TimPommell
Msg: 654
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2005 9:41:13 AM
Taurus

We as a society don't need guns. The only people that need them are the army/ law enforcement/ navy/ basically any form of organization that is needed to protect the public.

Who were you quoting?
Clearly whomever posted that doesn't understand the principals behind the second ammendment. The sole purpose is to assure the goverment remains "of the people, by the people and for the people...."
 marita_b
Msg: 655
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2005 9:45:32 AM
Isn't that the main problem leading to your citizenry being so fearfull they walk around( many, not all) with loaded weapons on their person?,.....(Taurus)The total lack of trusting anyone,..including your own officials who are paid to keep you safe?

I can not even immagine being like "sparkle" who witnessed such an awful thing and who apparently still kept her head enough not to be a threat to the armed robbers,....

I can however immagine what she might be going through in the quiet hours of the night, before she sleeps.....

Yet I get the sense, that even after this experience she is not carrying her weapon to "keep her safe" that in fact NOT having had it with her that day ,...
was what "MADE HER SAFE"...

I can't remember where I heard it, as we get many American stations on our cable system, and I often have the TV on as background noise while doing something like cleaning house,...so forgive my lack of detail but I often don't pay attention to the noise...
but,.....recently there were one or more incidents of people pulled over by law enforcement that were assaulted and (or) killed,.... to the point where the announcement on the news was for anyone being pulled over to lock their car,...and NOT respond to (or open the door for the officer) untill HIS or HER (the officers) identification could be verified,....that if they had a cell phone to call 911 for verification,....
now that just sounds a little more than nuts to me,...

How can you live this way? and more importantly how do you stop this fear?,....

I have noticed while traveling by car through many of the states that everytime you cross the border of a state the first thing you see posted on the highway is the welcome to where ever sign and for emergency please call,...911 or whatever they have posted,...often NOT 911,.....

You might be interested to know that anytime I have traveled through your many states (and I lived in Alabama for a while so it was often) I have never ,....NEVER felt threatened by anyone and I have (being a woman) asked strangers for directions,...stopped and spoken to police officers,...engaged store clerks,..or even other customers in random conversation, ....that's just my nature....

I even pulled over on the highway once (to ask for directions)where a police officer sat in his car,...or so I thought,..turned out to be a cardboard cut out,....I'm never going to live that one down from my kids,....

perhaps in retrospect I was being foolish,..and taking a risk but I have never had a bad outcome,....is it possible because I wasn't afraid of,.... or expected one? who can say but I'm here to tell you I have never met nasty, rude or even threatening folks in my travels,...

NOT EVER,....Perhaps to feel safe you have to work on your state of mind first,..your marksmanship last?,....it's not a statement,...it's just a question,.....

I'm kind of a kay cera, cera kind of person,.... I believe whatever is supposed to happen will regardless,...that when and how it's your time to go you will no matter what you do and fretting about it will not change a thing,....it is also how someone tripping over the pattern of the carpet and dying,...and another person (jumping from a perfectly servicable airplane with a parashute) whose shute doesn't open and lives,...(which I have actually witnessed myself BTW) makes sence to me,....

I do know one thing for certain,...no one will ever die from a gun I don't own,...
and don't carry
 TimPommell
Msg: 656
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2005 11:13:58 AM
Smerk

The purpose of the second ammendment was too to make sure people could defend theselves against the English and Loyalists.

The English and Loyalist "threat" had been gone for several years prior to the ratification of the bill of rights (September 25th, 1789), the revolutionary war ended in May 1781.
 TimPommell
Msg: 658
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2005 11:22:06 AM

I do know one thing for certain,...no one will ever die from a gun I don't own,...
and don't carry

I think it's commendable that a person who can't distinguish the difference between a cardboard cut out and a living person should recognize they have no business carrying a firearm.
 marita_b
Msg: 659
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2005 11:29:07 AM
hey,...give me a break,..I was going 65 down the highway at the time,....

PS. all our cops are real,...I never even heard of a cut out cop posted at the side of the highway,....

and all the folks who slowed down to the speed limit when they saw it were fooled too,..which I guess was the point,...
 TimPommell
Msg: 660
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2005 8:37:09 PM
Marita

I was reading some of your posts, and you seem to be bouncing on both sides of the issue. On one hand you state what a horrible way to live, being afraid to walk the streets, having to carry a gun or being afraid that everyone else has one ... then you talk about living in I believe Alabama... one of the most backward states we have (backwards by your enlightened standards), and indicated you walked around freely talking to total strangers.... which is it? Was it the Wild Wild West, or Mayberry? I can assure you there are more guns per capita in Alabama (with a multiplier!) than there are in NY CA or probably even Canada.
 marita_b
Msg: 661
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2005 10:33:15 PM
actually it's both Tim I'll explain,....

My ex,...and I were planing on relocating to Alabama,....(I chose Alabama because of the weather,...and location,..."not in Tornado alley",...."not in the direct line of fire during hurricain season",...and excellent tax rates and cost of living )

We had gone there several times to check it out and had bought a house there,... which we rented out untill we could get our paperwork done,....My children and I we went down ahead of my ex who was taking care of business and selling our house here in Canada,....

We were living there for a few months when I discovered my ex would rather re-locate there with his (unknown to me at the time) girlfriend,....So I sold the house we had just bought in Prattville,...and I returned with my boys to Canada,...My ex and his friend are now living there,....

The (living in a constant state of fear) comment refers to many of your country men and women's posts,.....

perhaps ignorance is bliss because I did not modify my behaviour and ideas when I lived there,...as a result I continued basically being me,...outgoing,...curious,...very aproachable,

Having been in the military and moving around a lot,...I learned that if you don't want to spend all your time alone for every 2 year posting then,...I had to learn how to make friends,...

Now all that was back in 1997,...and a lot has changed since then,....but back then I did not see anyone toting a gun,...they probably did,...I just didn't see it,...the most menacing thing I saw in Prattville Alabama,...which is a short distance from the capital of Montgomery,. ...
was a yard that had the following sign posted on the fence,...

This house is guarded by Smith & Wesson 4 nights a week
you figure out which four,.....

and that sign made me smile,... not instill fear,....

Funny thing is that as a child of the 60's and all that meant in Montgomery at that time,...
I expected to see overtly racist and threatening actions,...but I didn't,...I had nothing but good experiences from all the folks I met there regardless of race,....gender,... young, old, whatever,.......People were pleasant,..helpful,...polite,....and very accomodating,....

I don't know if that was because we were there for only a few months,.....or because the times were a lot less vollotile,....or because I just didn't see?,....who knows

And BTW,... overall I actually didn't find most people backwards,.....some were very brilliant in fact,...and some,...well,...some not so much,...but pretty much the same mix as you are likely to find anywhere,....
 TimPommell
Msg: 662
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2005 4:01:31 AM
Marita

And BTW,... overall I actually didn't find most people backwards,.....some were very brilliant in fact,...and some,...well,...some not so much,...but pretty much the same mix as you are likely to find anywhere,....

The same gun laws are in effect now as were then.... I think you listen way to much to your left speaker when you're watching the news, and perhaps even shut your right eye when reading the paper.
As for your take on southern intellect, for some reason when northerners first contemplate visiting the south they envision encounters with Gomer Pyle and the Dukes of Hazzard. Ironically for all our backward thinking, I don't know of anyone who visits the north thinking they're going to encounter Rocky Balboa, or even Red Green. I guess we just don't stereotype as much cuz we ain't enlightened and don't realize it's the "IN" thing to do...
Gotta run.... have to chase the dogs out from under the porch and then go check on my still.... Ya'll come visit, ya hear!?!
 NittanyLion
Msg: 663
Posted: 8/26/2005 4:57:23 AM
Personally, I think there's a big difference between intelligence and "backwardness," at least in the way I view it. And yes, you CAN find those issues everywhere, not just in the south. Just look at Pennsylvania: To the west you have Pittsburgh, to the East you have Philadelphia. And in the middle you have Alabama. (That's not a slam; that just seems to be the case.)
 TimPommell
Msg: 664
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2005 5:16:28 AM

Personally, I think there's a big difference between intelligence and "backwardness," at least in the way I view it.

Me too.... that's why I said intellect.....
 marita_b
Msg: 665
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2005 8:07:33 AM
"I guess we don't stereotype as much,...cuz we ain't enlightened and don't realize it's the "IN" thing to do?"

Interesting stament Tim considering the rest of your response,...

I don't know where you get your ides from regarding who you think I am,.....
but it certainly cleared up who YOU think you are,......

I never categorize and slot people in neet little boxes,...I take each person,..as they present themselves to me,.....I have been on the receiving end of that kind of thinking,...befor I even knew what it was,.....being German wasn't a good thing to be in the early sixties,....

So if in your comment you are saying that I prejudged you or anyone,....then your wrong,...
to my way of thinking it's never "IN"

However if with your comment you are making a judgement on me,...well that's your right,...if that's how YOU choose to be,....

Since you seemed to have missed my earlier statement,..let me say it again,...my comments regarding your gun laws were based on information from Americans who live with them and have as a result put themselves into this "living in fear place",....

For each person fear is something different and how they respond to it is as well,....

some hide while others come out with both barrels blazing,....my comments were to state simply that I choose to do neither,.....

Have you spent much time in Alabama? My coments were based on my experiences,..pre 911
I simply stated that I haven't been back since 1997 so I did not know what changes have taken place there,....you aren't saying that there haven't been any are you? because 911 changed every place,...all arround the globe
 Herkimer
Msg: 666
Posted: 8/26/2005 8:16:14 AM
I say we just pack em on our hips and let the "bad guys" know exactly what they have to deal with. No need to conceal and carry just carry ! I bet when given a choice the gutless punk criminal wont chose the five foot, one inch grandma carrying a desrt eagle on her hip! .....okay...maybe thats not a good idea...but maybe it is? hmmmmmmmm
 TimPommell
Msg: 667
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2005 9:06:53 AM
Judging? Moi? I haven't "judged" anyone. It's generally pretty easy to tell in this type of medium and discussion whether someone is conservative, moderate or liberal. You've referred to the US as the Wild West in this thread more than any two people combined. If your inference that we're all packing heat, just waiting for high noon so that we can mosey on down to the OK Corral for our daily shoot out isn't judgemental, I don't know what is! What makes it even worse is that you've lived down here and know for a fact it isn't that way. That's what cracks me up about liberals, most of them will ignore the facts, even their own personal experiences just to cling to the enlightened band wagon.
I've lived in Montgomery (worst town in Alabama) and Decatur... so yes, I have spent "much time" there. 9/11 didn't change gun laws, and it didn't change the way people dealt with everyday life.... for the most part it didn't change a whole lot other than air travel (as far as daily impact).
 lola05
Msg: 668
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2005 11:12:16 AM

Deadmanwalkin
" So quit beating a dead horse, and forget any attempts to disarm American citizens.
It's OUR business and not yours. " ....
If some are so wimpy that they can't stomach guns, ..."

~ Your, " business ", is affecting the lives of Canadians. -

And it is precisely that type of arrogance, that is increasingly affecting World opinion
against the US. It's most unfortunate that the majority of US citizens, who do not hold such attitudes, have and will continue to pay a price for their ignorant, obnoxious and
self-serving countrymen.

~ " Deadmanwalkin ". -->

What an interesting nickname. With THAT attitude, it seems almost prophetic. ~

FYI, ... " wimps " ... Live in Fear, and hole up with a Gun .. rather than facing the
imminent danger, that the proliferation of Guns has created to,... not just YOU,
. . but to the lives of your fellow Americans citizens.

And this strikes me as, Incredibly .. Self-Centered, ... and wimpy.
 TimPommell
Msg: 669
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2005 11:50:50 AM
Deadman
Boy howdy you sure walked into a hornets nest with that one... Allow me to introduce you to Lola, who is probably pounding out a response to you right now telling all about how our illegal weapons grow legs, walk to Canada, and inspire otherwise law abiding citizens to commit heinous crimes...
 lola05
Msg: 670
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2005 12:03:12 PM
~ ~
 TimPommell
Msg: 671
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2005 12:16:50 PM
Rats, I knew I should have let that work thingy get in the way of finishing the response... now she's already introduced herself...LOL
 Tribal_Superman
Msg: 672
Posted: 8/29/2005 4:45:30 PM
Dude , I am 24 have owned Guns ever since I could walk thanks to my dad being a collector...THE problem is that there is a group of people who DONOT have the intelligence to get up and go to a job in the morning and instead use guns on people ....or each other giving the weapon a bad rap...the whole time ignoring the fact that A person like this could and would easily use another type of weapon no matter what kind it is...why disarm people who are INTELLIGENT while the pieces of shit who are not unarmed go around shooting the newly unarmed people...Your a moron, go back to your rainbow stickers and sex toy partys.
 lola05
Msg: 673
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:46:14 PM
~ Whaaa, ... whaa'd he say ... ? i got soooo distracted, ... by that pic ! ~

. . Cooool tats !!!

But Here's a guy, i would have Much More use for, ... if he didn't speak. ~ ~
 paddler
Msg: 674
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:55:38 PM
It's been my experience that gun owners in Canada have a mile of paperwork and regulations to contend with. For what I've seen, these are the last people you have to worry about.

In Canada the police and the crown have to accept responsiblity for growing gun violence and stop looking to scape goat legal owners. Seldom if ever are any gun laws prosecuted in this country in relation to street crime. Ask any sportsman or target shooter and they will probably be able to quote at least a half dozen gun laws or more, that are broken by street criminals. From unsafe storage and transportation to concealment and belond, the weight and punishment of these offences is, in many cases greater than the principal crime.
 TimPommell
Msg: 675
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:56:08 PM

~ Whaaa, ... whaa'd he say ... ? i got soooo distracted, ... by that pic ! ~

I'm not even sure who he was responding to...
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Gun Control