Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Gun Control      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oneafternoon
Msg: 701
view profile
History
Re: Gun ControlPage 29 of 50    (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50)
Now , if we can have a leader like that ... and who doesn't go nuts on us.
 marita_b
Msg: 702
view profile
History
Re: Gun Control
Posted: 9/3/2005 1:00:10 PM
TIM,...I would be interested in your finding quoats of mine to match your statements,...

1) gun controll is a political issue?,...it is I thought it was more a law and order safety issue

go figure!

2) I am not an American citizen,...true,...but you are not an island,...what happens in your borders clearly as you have seen recently affects non Americans also,...

I am a Global citizen,...as well as German,...and Canadian

3) I have in fact never stated that american public SHOULD be disarmed,...

NOT EVEN ONCE,...what I have said is,...do you think that such and such might be responsible for so and so,...

or,...perhaps if you,....yada yada whatever,...

or you might want to consider,...

I have voiced what happens in your country when you indiscriminantly shoot to kill,...by finding out about YOUR LAWS,..and passing on the information,...

I have even on occasion stated as other Canadians what we percieve as gun CONTROLL (not elimination) but you never seem to read that part,...

And I have even mentioned several times what I do for security,....in lou of a fire arm,...

I was told a long time agao,...NEVER TO SHOULD ON PEOPLE,...so I tend not to,...

Trust me I choose my words carefully,...for just that reason,...anything I state herein is either my personal experience,..opinion,...or information I have found that can be verified by anyone,....

and yes what I have done which I think is getting your dander up,...is repeat your own statements back to you with a question mark attached,...

(I enjoy a good debate,...hearing other points of view and learning something new,...)

because sometimes what we mean,...and what others percieve is sometimes two very different things,....I sometimes need clarification,....
I have been raising males trust me,...Dr Gray had that one right,....

so I ask for clarrification,....

and you are correct,... you not only have the right,...and ability to respond to what you like,...how you like,....you have every right to voice your opinion here,...not matter what,....(within the boundries of this site ,...of course) so do I though,...

and I call 'em as (I) see 'em,....
You do see that there is a difference between making an observation and
telling someone what they ought to do don't you?

and being that you are an american citizen you even have the right to shlepp a gun arround if that makes you feel safe,...or tough or whatever it does for you,....and to pay the price of the consequences should you ever use it,...depending on the laws of your land,..

marita_b
Msg: 703
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2005 2:55:26 PM
You are given a choice,...tarus,...every time you vote,...and you have the freedom to
comment,...to anyone willing to listen,...

That's the thing you have the choice and I am ok with whatever you choose,..for yourself,...

when someone chooses for me or anyone else because they "KNOW WHAT"S BEST"

that's when my hackles go up,....

and perhaps I am a child of the sixties that in some way didn't grow up but I believe,..
greed too is a choice,....perhaps even an ideal,...but not destined,...
or worse yet,....the inevitable end,... at least I truely hope not,...
 NittanyLion
Msg: 704
Posted: 9/4/2005 7:52:10 PM
sorry if I've offended anyone!
 marita_b
Msg: 705
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2005 8:04:03 PM
actually I agree with most of what you have said,...but,....I rather doubt that violence has always been the last resotr to man,...

quite the contrarry actually,....I fear that violence has been what has caused so much grief and strife over the the centuries,....

especially for those that think if they kill one of yours,...you kill onehundred of theirs,....

unfortunately I am sad to say,...history books bear me out all too often on that one,....

the only thing violence has ever done how ever is breed more violence,....
 shadowgirl58
Msg: 706
Gun Control
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:38:38 PM
I believe everyone that is of sound mind-and resposible should have the right to bear arms-for protecting themselves-their property and there land...there will be more trouble if they keep up with the policing of this issue..
I remember when this first began-about gun control-where they were going into homes(another place) and taking guns that people had collected, etc. When our country succumbs to these new laws-we will all b in trouble-
I say we keep our guns!
 marita_b
Msg: 707
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2005 9:54:40 AM
Taurus,....

ANNOYING,...IRRITATING,...AGRAVATING,....

BUT ULTIMATELY,.....VERY VERY TRUE,......and FRUSTRATING,...

even worse,....it's unlikely to ever change,...

no wonder so many of us are addicted to anything to make us feel better eh?
even if only for a moment,....
 marita_b
Msg: 708
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2005 1:34:58 PM
Look beyond the media fueled passionate arguments?????????,....

could we fetch,....burry,...and give a moment for silent prayer for the dead first?

before we look at the mathematical equasion?,....
because sometimes you can't fix,...what's permanently broken,....
 mikedanger
Msg: 709
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:58:03 PM
" Then why are so many of the 'gun accidents' happening to children in and around the
homes of gun owners ? "

because they happen in the homes of ILLEGAL gun-owners, like that one in NC last month....
 raverdad
Msg: 710
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:54:03 PM
pulls out a gun and shoots the zombie thread in the head Die Zombie Thread Die!!!!!!!!
 mdew22
Msg: 711
Posted: 2/20/2006 12:20:33 AM
i own a lot of guns. and im always going to. i want them for protcion and hunting. i have them all loaded too. so if you break in my house you are dead. period. killing ppl has been going on sence the stone age. and radicals are the ones that kill. if you dont like it in this country please move to irag or iran. you will be dead before sunset.

mdew22
 mikedanger
Msg: 712
Posted: 2/20/2006 4:51:43 PM
i'm sorry jessi, my point was that LEGAL gun owners are much more likely to teach their children well....
 mycorosso
Msg: 713
Posted: 2/23/2006 11:02:39 AM
Gun Control...?

Sounds to me that the "International Tell You What to do Division" should consider some electronic mouse and keyboard control. My goodness it is apparent some posters here were denied parental control on the common sense lessons of life. Register your computer with your favorite government so they can make sure ignorant statements and views are reported and delt with immediately.

OT: The only reason some people are alive is because murder is illegal. How's that for gun control?
 flyguy51
Msg: 714
Posted: 5/19/2006 12:18:38 PM
It is the duty of the police to protect the public. However, the public is under the misconception that the police are always able to protect us. I agree with taurus-- the citizens also have to take responsibility for their own safety. That could mean an alarm system, a guard dog, a neighborhood watch program, and, as a last resort, a gun.

Criminals, in general, are not afraid of the police-- they are easy to identify and avoid. They are afraid of citizens who are able to protect themselves.
 marita_b
Msg: 716
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 1:12:06 AM
Seriously though,Guns are not the problem.Criminals with guns are the problem.??????????
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give me a break!!!! the easy availability of guns is the problem,....

because it isn't JUST the criminals who use them,....and kill with them,....
sometimes,...it's the stupid but law abiding people,...who grab their guns before dialing 911,....That kill and mame people too,.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a "CWP" (Conceald Weapons Permit)but i never carry my gun unless i'm going some where i feel uncomfortable....(Destryridesagain)????????????????
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the thing,...if you don't have a gun stapped to your hip,...to walk arround with,.....you stay out of places that make you uncomfortable,.....simple,....

It certainly seems smarter than the mind set that if someone even thinks of messin' with you,...you know you can blow them out of their boots,.... sheesh!!
 marita_b
Msg: 717
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 4:06:40 AM
We have rural areas, (which I have lived in,....and my comfort was in the fact I knew everybody)....
and parking duplexes,....and very big cities ( I have lived in Toronto,..Ottawa,..Hamilton,...and Halifax),...and even an unsavory and criminal elements,....
even in Toronto I never felt unsafe walking about at any hour of the day or night,....

but we also know since we don't all walk around with guns the chances of our being shot is not that great,...that's not to say there are no people who get shot here it just fairly rare,....

and we don't have to come accross people who have the mindset that shoting first is the best course of action,....

So while you shoot first,....and then figure things out,....

I will continue to feel a lot safer with my cell phone,...rather than a gun,.....
and BTW,...here pepper spay isn't an option either,....because non police can't carry it and if you are found to,...you get arrested,....

also in the 50 plus years I have been walking upright,...
I haven't spent much of it feeling that I am a target,....
and I do and have walked (or driven),...outside at all times of the night,...
I do most of my grocery shopping at 3 am,....when the store is nice and quiet,....

BTW I have been in a couple of near misses,...as far as bad situations to be in,....over the years,...but a gun wouldn't have made the outcome any better,....

and even in this Country you can get a permit to carry,...but,...before you do you either have to have a badge,...or have proof of threat of imminent danger,...nothing short of that gets you one,.....
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 718
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 6:32:37 AM
If Americans want to have free access to guns, it's their business.

We can get them here too, contrary to popular opinon in some parts of the USA. I could purchase a rifle or shotgun, and have it in thirty days, if I felt the need to have one.

I would not have access to rapid fire weapons, or handguns.

I would undergo a thirty day security check by the police, including talking to the people I work with - ( and within a certain time frame, any ex-wives or girlfriends). I'd be expected to take a course on handling weapons, and to keep the weapon secure.

My freedom to purchase a weapon exists, and I have a legal right to own one.

I don't have to have a 357 Magnum, or an assault weapon. I don't need to get a weapon in thirty minutes, with only the minimum research on my potential danger to society in having one. A firearm is an incredibly dangerous weapon, in the wrong hands. I don't think that the restrictions in place for ownership are too harsh.

As I have said many times, I work with the police regularly, and respond to hold up alarms. Over my entire career, I have perhaps only seen a few occasions where a firearm was used. Normally it's a knife, baseball bat, or " finger in the pocket". You can kill a person with anyone of those things ( OK, perhaps not the finger) , but it's much harder and messier - and thus less likely to occur.

That tells me the system works exceptionally well here, and that I don't have to face the threat of someone with a firearm. That is about as common here as winning the lottery, or getting hiit by lightening.

Does it happen ? Certainly.

Just in incredibly small numbers, as our statistics show.

If Americans want to live their lives differently, it's totally their right to do so.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 719
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 7:53:12 AM
I told this story before of one of our employees in our Vermont office. He's an American, and shared it at a Christmas party one year.

He was driving along, going to a meeting. He had his pistol on the dash, and suddenly he heard a siren. A state trooper pulled him over, and walked over to the car to give him a speeding ticket.

He saw the pistol, and asked " Is it loaded ? "

My friend said " Is yours ?"

Then they talked about their guns for about ten minutes, and compared modifications, experiences, etc. At the end, no ticket was given...

For the Canadians present ( the majority) , that was just one of those "roll your eyes" type stories about living in the USA. For one, I could not even imagine driving around with a loaded weapon on my dash, nor making a comment to a police officer like that one.

It's like when I call an American client about an alarm. They go ( many times) , " OK, I'll get my gun, and go down there right now... "

Seen from our perspective, that's just so strange...
 marita_b
Msg: 720
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 8:23:52 AM
and when it comes to the waiting period and the background check,....

why aren't more people up at arms for not getting a driver's liscence with the vehicle,....
to drive a car,...also a deadly weapon,..we have to show proficciency in the proper use of the car,....

when you get a liscence for a gun,..how come this isn't the case too,...like proving you can take it appart clean it properly and use it correctly?

I just don't think that's such an unreasonable thing,...and you have to liscence your car every year why not your gun,....in my opinion since our cars have to be checked every year for road safety,...how about having to show the guns you own to verify you still have them and they are in proper working order and condition,...
OOOOHHHHH I bet I'm going to get a lot of boooohs for that one,.....
 mycorosso
Msg: 721
Posted: 5/23/2006 8:26:37 AM
No Boos here. That would prolly not be practical. Driving is a privelage. Having guns is a right! Big difference.
 marita_b
Msg: 722
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 8:36:51 AM
I agree it wouldn't be practicall,..but I disagree about the rights part,....

I mean you may have the right to have a long rifle as the writers of the constitution understood weapons,...but a magnum 45,...or an automatic assault riffle they could not have even in their wildest dreams have thought of nor condone for anyone who wants one by right,....
 mycorosso
Msg: 723
Posted: 5/23/2006 8:50:08 AM
You can disagree but I will direct you to our constitution and bill of rights, etc. It's in the second or fourth amendment. So you are wrong to disagree. Been a right for a long time. I hope you are aware of that and not just being like a school girl whom doesn't belive in Santa or somethin'. I do understand you may think it shouldn't be a right but to disagree that it is is a poor choice of words.

Ot/ Gun control- hold steady, breathe and just squeeze the trigger.
 marita_b
Msg: 724
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 9:14:26 AM
The type of firearm is immaterial. If one is not going to shoot you with a single-shot firearm, they're not going to shoot you with an autoloader.(MMMBaby!)

do you really think a ten year old is able to not only shlepp a long gun,..never mind reloding it,...to get back at someone who called him a bad name????????

have you ever checked how many gun death's have a child who got at the gun,...
something tells me an automatic 32 is a lot easyer to fire than what the old dead white guys had in their day,....trust me,..it does make a difference,...

Try hiding a long gun and gunpwder bag and bag of balls not to mention the long stick to shove it all down the barrel wit,....under your coat,...

and yes,......A 12 ga. shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot is more formidable than ANY handgun. Let's put an end to the fairy tales...(MMMBaby!)

however that's not really the inter city weapon of choice,...now is it?
and you might be surprised to learn also how many legaly optained guns are used in a crime,....sometimes even perpatrated against the guns owner,....
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Gun Control