Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who is disabled?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 magicallaroundme
Msg: 216
Would you date someone who is disabled?Page 13 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

I got diagnosed with Epilepsy at age 10 (1970), which resulted in my being sexually fixed in my teens. Being under legal age I had no say in the matter. All the Healthcare system needed was a signature from my parents to do whatever they felt was best.

I also got declaired Unemployable, Not allowed to get a Driver's License, and Not Allowed to get Married. I know the third one sounds stupid, but in 2008 I tried to get a Marriage License for my girlfriend and I (we both had epilepsy), and the Police got involved, sending me to the Sex Offender Program where I was forced to accept that it's wrong. We can be friends, but that's all.

Not Fair!!!

Though I have several reasons to condemn Soviet Canuckistan, Human Rights wasn't one of them up to now. I had thought that all those eugenics laws were a thing of the past like the government's kidnapping of children. What an abomination!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 217
Would you date someone who is disabled?
Posted: 4/14/2011 11:02:20 PM
magic, I think your response would be right on if the dood to whom you were responding we telling the truth. I doubt he is. There's nothing much to back up his story other than he lives in BC which was one of two places in Canada where it might have happened. *WE* didn't do as well, alas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization#United_States

There's also no evidence that anywhere in Canada that epileptics are not allowed to marry. http://www.epilepsy.ca/eng/mainSet.html

Some peeps don't mind making fun of others for their yukyuks.

CharminC
Msg: 218
Posted: 4/15/2011 7:26:43 AM
I also got declaired Unemployable, Not allowed to get a Driver's License, and Not Allowed to get Married. I know the third one sounds stupid, but in 2008 I tried to get a Marriage License for my girlfriend and I (we both had epilepsy), and the Police got involved, sending me to the Sex Offender Program where I was forced to accept that it's wrong. We can be friends, but that's all.

Sex offender program? seems more to this story your omitting .. much more.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 219
Posted: 4/15/2011 11:44:56 AM
Have to back off the yukyuk theory. Mea culpa. I just read his posting history.

Post 54 in this thread is illuminating. http://forums.plentyoffish.com/9708719datingPostpage3.aspx Evidently the woman in question is still a ward of her parents.

When I worked in a nursing home, we had several elderly learning disabled women who had been taken advantage of sexually their whole lives by males either not as disabled or not disabled at all. Not a pretty picture, and not easily amenable to legal systems which wish to easily pigeonhole.

Sadness for everyone involved. . . .
 CharminC
Msg: 220
Posted: 4/15/2011 4:55:27 PM
thx for pointing out... yes, much sadness
 Atilla88
Msg: 221
Posted: 4/18/2011 12:53:12 AM
As a man, NO! I only go for hot chicks. Most American women don't have much to offer beyond their sexuality - especially the bitter fuglies and fatties.

As for women, I have three words for you: Anna Nicole Smith. Remember that 70+ year-old big rig in the oil industry, that guy in the wheelchair? How many men in their 70s get laid? Let alone those guys, how many decent-looking married men get laid with their wives? If you can make money, you will always get laid, my friend. You could have a third eyeball and penises coming out of your ears and it wouldn't matter - women can't see straight when you're rich.

Heck, try your luck overseas. Even the best-looking of guys will tell you that women are easier and of higher quality in most other parts of the world.
 ladyc4
Msg: 222
Posted: 4/18/2011 7:13:18 AM

How many men in their 70s get laid?

Why are you worried about this? Sounds to me like you will have absolutely digested yourself by half that age.
Y'know, we could turn this right around and make the observation that men who feel compelled to diss American women and extoll the ease of getting with a woman who wants to GET to America so much, that she'll accept what American women have rejected.
The TOPIC is "would you date someone who is disabled?"-NOT "lets' rant about my lack of dating sucess".
Setting aside all the medical-technical-legal criteria that go into classifying a person as 'disabled' for purposes of being a protected class, or access to insurance or governmen benefits-let's just say that the only disability applicable to dating is the disability of a bad attitude.
Cindy O
 magicallaroundme
Msg: 223
Posted: 4/18/2011 7:40:27 AM

As a man, NO! I only go for hot chicks.

A man's best overall policy for both AW and FW.

Most American women don't have much to offer beyond their sexuality - especially the bitter fuglies and fatties.

Indeed they don't. Still the not bitter fuglies who actually do have something to offer offer it for reasons that transcend money.

As for women, I have three words for you: Anna Nicole Smith. Remember that 70+ year-old big rig in the oil industry, that guy in the wheelchair? How many men in their 70s get laid? Let alone those guys, how many decent-looking married men get laid with their wives? If you can make money, you will always get laid, my friend. You could have a third eyeball and penises coming out of your ears and it wouldn't matter - women can't see straight when you're rich

The reason that Anna Nicole could see her way clear to sleep with the old goat was that he was an imposing man in his own right regardless of money and age. He was larger than life... a bigger and better man than most could even aspire to. That is how he got to be a billionaire to begin with. If he wasn't a billionaire he would have at least deserved to be in any industry.

Heck, try your luck overseas. Even the best-looking of guys will tell you that women are easier and of higher quality in most other parts of the world.

Not really so. Bring one back to the USA and see how quickly she adopts the culture of mendacity. The reason that American men do so well abroad is despite what AW want to believe Americans are seen as good and industrious husbands. They have a very good reputation that is now being eroded by geopolitics but largely still intact on a personal level. An American among Asians is high status. Bring her back and you are an American among Americans -- low status. Hence the change. FW are no better. They just value you more in their own country.
 english lass
Msg: 224
Posted: 4/18/2011 7:48:24 AM

"easier" AND "higher quality" that's quite the combination... not necessarily one I'd put together, but I guess it takes all sorts
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 225
Posted: 4/19/2011 11:15:53 PM
I haven't read all of the posts, but the ones I've scanned seemed to be very positive and accepting and willing to date someone with some kind of disability. That's actually very nice and refreshing to hear, as I have some vision issues, and am always worried that people will be so shallow and discriminate, especially because of that stupid car question in the profiles. It's nice to see so many people who wouldn't hold that stuff against someone. Very good karma points for you! For anyone who wouldn't date someone with any disability, I hope you learn from the decent folks in this thread and follow their example.
 suds00
Msg: 226
Posted: 6/23/2011 4:36:04 PM
i have a disability due to a childhood cerebral hemorrhage.most of my life i have not dated and it wasn't for lack of trying.i was married for 11 years and to some extent my handicap ,and what some consider to be my limitations, had an effect there,as well.it seems to me that many,if not most women don't date handicapped men because they think that they'll end up being caregivers and/or they won't have a fulfilling married life.
 mateo45
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:24:32 PM
Kinda depends on how severe the disability, but generally speaking, no problem. Mostly I'd be interested in how they deal with it. Is it a limitation they struggle with and ultimately feel responsible for, although they welcome some assistance? Or are they a "victim" and it's just used as an "excuse", that always makes them "entitled" somehow, especially within the context of a relationship? Maybe that's a fine distinction, but also a very important one.
 neddygurl
Msg: 228
Posted: 6/24/2011 12:28:12 AM
I would, and I have. I dated a guy with Cerebral Paulsy for awhile. He was a sweet guy. Ultimately it didn't work out. Nothing to do with the disability, he just had bad breath. I also saw a guy at the pool the other day. He was a good looking man, but had some kind of joint disorder and moved around like an old man. I thought he was still hot though.

I think it just depends on if there's a spark there or not just like with able bodied people, at least for me. I don't really emphasize the disability too much.
 starrynight77
Msg: 229
Posted: 6/25/2011 12:23:41 AM
I guess I'm a little late replying to this post, lol, but yes I would date someone who was disabled if I was attracted to their personality. I think it's a case by case basis, really. I looked at your profile and nothing on it screams out at me, 'dont like this guy just because he's disabled' so I would be open to the oppportunity.
Msg: 230
Posted: 6/25/2011 1:43:55 AM

I dated a guy with Cerebral Paulsy for awhile. He was a sweet guy. Ultimately it didn't work out. Nothing to do with the disability, he just had bad breath.

So you broke up with someone not because of a disability but because they had bad breath?!

If it was only about bad breath then why didn't you gently tell him that his breath was not the greatest?Buy him a new electric toothbrush a tongue scraper and some good mouthwash.

Sorry but your story just doesn't ring true.

I might date someone with a disability but it would depend on how severe.If I would have to be the one to tug and pull on them, like one guy who wanted to date me who was paralyzed from the neck down,then no.I would not date someone who had that much of a disability.Besides even if he could get an erection many men in wheelchairs can't feel it and you would be doomed to one position for the rest of your life.

That to me would be more of a millstone around my neck then a happy life.I did date someone for a few years who had epilepsy.He had it pretty well under control but it didn't scare me to see and deal with the few seizures he had.
 Singlegal89
Msg: 231
Posted: 6/26/2011 1:02:47 AM
OK I can't remember if I replied,but yes,I'd date a disabled person(I have RA so I kinda know how you feel).
In fact,I dated someone recently who's hard of hearing. Now that doesn't bother me as my Dad was hard of hearing too so I COMPLETELY understand that.

I just wanted to say good luck
 alishass
Msg: 232
Posted: 7/28/2011 4:20:23 PM
Wow...so you wouldn't date someone who had a problem with depression? You just counted out half the women in the USA and Canada ...lololol More than half the people in America are on anti depressants. Don't know about Canada.
 AlreadyTakenBootboy
Msg: 233
Posted: 7/28/2011 4:33:13 PM
I'm compltely blind, I have no vision at all, and I make blind jokes all of the time. some people aren't use to that at all.
 CmpGy88
Msg: 234
Posted: 8/17/2011 7:38:10 PM
Hello everyone I myself am visually impaired, and I don't let my vision disability stop me from doing things I love or need to do. So I can understand where the OP is coming from, I don't look for peoples sympathy or attention regarding my disability, but rather I feel no matter if a person has sight or not that they should be treated equally.Some people may be turned off by the person with a disabilty due to fear of the unknown. It all just depends on the person and if they like and respect them for who they are, and not who they are not then they will more than likely get along fine. I myself would date a person with a disability
 1Summer__Girl
Msg: 235
Posted: 8/17/2011 8:41:06 PM
There was someone on this site who mentioned to me they had a disability. It did not bother me. However, I would think with disabilities it would be a case by case situation. Though with this one guy what did turn me off what not his disability, but his constant texting, and I mean from sun up to sun down I dont know how many I got in a day. It wasn't normal. At first I thought it was sweet he was contacting me a lot. It just got to a point where I felt unsafe to meet up with him, and I;m not even including the drunk texts.
 rosie6425
Msg: 236
Posted: 8/18/2011 8:00:48 AM
I have somewhat of a disability. I have Scoliosis and Spinal Stenosis, which gives me pain in my lower back if I am on my feet for any length of time. I also cannot sit in a chair for more than about 2 hours unless I can somewhat recline. I also have Diabetic Neuropathy that makes my feet numb and my hands are starting to get that way. It hurts to wear shoes unless they are sandles or my crocs. When I read ads from men that say they like to hike, bike ride, etc... I don't send them anything because I cannot do those things. Plus I cannot really exercise and am overweight. Just seems like the cards are stacked against me on meeting someone, but I don't give up. It's sad though that more men don't look at what is on the inside of a person's heart instead of what is on the outside.
 DvSGuYBtown
Msg: 237
Posted: 6/10/2015 12:38:41 AM
Of Course I would I'm disabled myself and believe me it's near impossible trying to meet somebody in my experience.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 238
Posted: 6/10/2015 1:43:51 AM
Yes -- if they're a good match.
 2ufo
Msg: 239
Posted: 6/10/2015 7:26:30 AM
Also married, I believe.
 south_city
Msg: 240
Posted: 6/10/2015 9:56:39 AM
Depends on the disability and how severe it is.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who is disabled?