Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ticketoride
Msg: 60
Legalization of Marijuana.Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
your argument is moot Ticket. Throw up some stats on other "legal" controlled substances and I bet the percentages would be WAY higher than the 15% you state for Maryjane long time users (refering to ill effects).

Not a reply to my Post. A percentile comparative Value is immaterial to justify legalizing a Substance that has clearly through various world-wide clinical Trials shown the adverse long-term psychosis inducing Effects on Users.

That Data just about every Health Authority in the World bases it Substance Restriction Laws on. I have no Clue what you are referring to as being a moot Point. And even if the USA has a Hand in it, who cares? Marijuana is a Hazard to your Health.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 61
Legalization of Marijuana.
Posted: 10/16/2008 3:18:07 PM
Ticket,

all your superlatives aside, my point is this. As long as we continue to allow mind and health altering products (tobacco/ alcohol/ prescription drugs) to be sold (albeit restricted in some manner ..example, prescription/age restricted ect ect) adding marijuana to this list of products seems like a no brainer to me ESPECIALLY in light of the CRIMINAL ACTIVITY surrounding it (familiar with the history of alcohols prohibition?.)
I want you to show me why Alcohol can be sold and justifed when marijuana can't. I was striking the percentile comparison specifically to alcohol as it is a very damaging product when used with some frequency over time... yet it is legal.

VVV

Oh I get your point sir. I truly do and I too can look at it in a black and white fashion. Let it be said I am not advocating the use of a mind altering substance, be it alcohol or pot. What I am trying to get across to you is that there are OTHER governing bodies that might find better uses for their time and limited resources if they weren't taxed with policing marijuana growth/distribution/consumption.

For all your expounding on business principles and how great the current government is at saving people money and enacting great legislation while doing away with bad legislation, I would think you could see this from a business standpoint.

Ticketoride
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/16/2008 3:24:18 PM
You are not getting my Point here.

The Health Department cannot but restrict Marijuana because of its tested adverse Effects on long term Users. Its a legal issue, since they are charged with administering the Health of the Nation. That Drug has been shown to be far more dangerous than People have tried to make it out to be.

Whatever the Effect of criminal Activity is, does not matter to them.

Perhaps Alcohol, Anti-freeze, Shoe Polish, Glue, Smoking, Sugar and McD's Big Macs should be under Review/Restriction too. That however does not change the Fact of the actual Danger of Marijuana Usage. No need to compare 1 against the other. Each item is assessed on its own Merits/Liabilities.

Cynderella
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2008 6:51:12 PM
<----101% Yesssssss!
Boose has killed more ppl I love than Pot.
 Xavery
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/16/2008 7:57:33 PM
I am among the group of people making the assumption that pot is a "soft" drug, but now that you mention it, it might not be. However, I still think it would free up a lot of resources if it were legalized and am in favour of doing away with the negative effects of prohibition. Alcohol kills, nicotine kills, junk food kills ......... People really need to make sensible and informed choices. I think if we release this Mary Jane demon, we will learn more about it and what it does and doesn't do, but mostly free up police people to deal with the big stuff.

Also, I think a more concerted effort needs to be made to eliminate really weird homemade drugs like Chrystal meth.
 * L *
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2008 12:23:07 PM
I suppose they could put it to the public for a vote
we all know what the results would be eh?

the people for it would not remember to come vote,
unless couch movers brought them

Xavery
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/17/2008 3:26:56 PM
Not that I am in favor of smoking marijuana on a regular basis, but I think perhaps the young people were predisposed.

When I was a teen I had a really bad experience with pot laced with ?... and I think it was partly in my own biochemistry to react negatively. I felt like I was pumped full of adrenaline. I hated the feeling and it is why I never smoke pot. The other reason is I don't want to breath in toxins. I am sure it is hard on your lungs. Still, I think it probably should be legalized.
 silibus
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/17/2008 9:27:34 PM
I'll say. But now they want to by able to stop you for "impaired" and check if you have been smoking it. Sorry but this has gone just about far enough now. We KNOW a lot of the lawyers, judges, Crown Attourneys and everyone else smoke it so what the heck.

And if you look at Holland we see how it has removed the 'tabou' of it and the 'organized crime' involvement when you allow people who Want to grow their own .

This is dirty politics and the America government flexing their 'influence' muscles. After all, the American government ARE the biggest importers of Columbian cocain. What the heck do you think is coming back from Columbia in the American Airforce plane afterthey drop off their 'donated' weapons to the Colimbian government? Coffee?

Legalize it! At least in BC. And when the Olympics are over there would be more and more people moving there just to be able to have their once "illegal" smile legally. A lot of us old hippies want to retire there anyhow. Give us more incentive.

(Awe, playing golf buzzed outta our tree's im retirement.) Nice dream?
 silibus
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/17/2008 9:32:40 PM
Asperine has killed more people than MJ! My generation are the biggest threat to the elite right wing government of America. The drug and alcohol testing is a "payback" for the movment of the 60's for making the American military industry get out of Viet Nam. WE have to shut down the Right Wing once and for all before we leave this planet
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/17/2008 9:51:55 PM
I have to laugh at the absurdity of the age old argument about legalizing weed.

I also laugh when I see how those who are against, will use the argument that the drug is "gateway" or that those who argue in favour are obviously pot-heads...

I will put it this way.

Faced with a choice between the following, what would YOU choose?

Man (or woman) leaves work on a Friday and decides they want to partake in something that will alter their state of mind. The choices they put in front of themselves are a couple hours at the local pub sharing stories with a friend while ingesting an indeterminate amount of alcohol, or having a puff or two on a joint during the drive home. These people have decided that one or the other is the salve to what ails them.

Which one do you wish to encounter on your way home? And I am serious. Don't stick your head in the sand and wax on about clean and sober because realists know there is a certain amount of the population that make these choices on any given day. Hypocrites need not respond!
 silibus
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/17/2008 10:01:37 PM
Dook, pay no attention to Munster. I was going to comment earlier about his statistic which some or most of ur know are completely out of a Ronny Raygun advertisment (or Mars). I just looked at where he's from. McMurry. I live in Alberta and sometimes work up there. Wanna know what else Alberta has besides a lot of oil? A lot of idiots. Well what other province would allow another country to come in and buy everything is sight? Alberta is not owned by Albertans it is owned by America. I believe the very best solution is to igmore this guy. He'll stomp his feet like a two year old until he's tired and then go to sleep and go away.
 Yourmasters
Msg: 77
Posted: 10/18/2008 12:59:26 AM
I do think that they should legalize it so that the jails and prisons won't be even more packed by people being brought up on marijauna charges. We have real criminals that are getting probation because not enough room in jails and prisons. I don't do drugs, but do feel that marijauna is not a harsh drug. But yes the government will tax it extensively, the only down side is more taxes on something that some people really need. Cancer patients and people with other serious ailments.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/18/2008 9:01:57 AM
Dook

I would choose the person who smoked the joint. I am no hypocrite so I can tell you that I have done both over the years and speaking from experience, I would choose the weed 10 times out of ten.

I am on the side of decriminalization. Marijuana is just a fact of life and it will always be around. Too many people like it and choose it as their "drug of choice". Is it harmless? NO. Do some people end up wasting their lives by using it too frequently? YES. Should someone go to jail for smoking it? NO. These are all too simple for me and since I have been around the "element" many times in my life, I would say that I have a good grasp of what I am talking about.

Do I smoke it? NOPE... It is too much for me and I do not like the effects of it on me. It seems too potent to me and I much prefer the effects of alcohol.

Let me go on record and say that Drinking/smoking pot/any kind of drug use should not be done when you have to drive. It's stupid to try and argue in favour of driving in an impaired state (ANY impaired state)it is rediculous and deadly. We as a society know that there is activity being done each and every day that impairs people’s motor skills and judgment. We need to continue to crack down on driving while impaired.

Do we need to throw Joe/Jill into prison because they like to smoke some pot?? Fuk no, that’s just stupid. We prescribe drugs that are far more harmful to people and some people are just impaired naturally, but they don't get thrown in jail for it!.

I also want to say that I hope my children never choose to use drugs/alcohol as an escape as so many seem to do. Some social drinking is ok, but I would love it if they choose to stay clean and sober all their lives. We as a society have placed so many pressures on ourselves and then advertised the hell out of escape mechanisms, that we continue to perpetuate the problem. SO, as long as these things exist, I say we think a little differently and take some of the mystique and all of the criminal element out of them.

Police the other drugs that seem so much more harmful (to me at least)
 Brian_Coquitlam_85
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/18/2008 5:47:58 PM
We prescribe drugs that are far more harmful to people

yup, I took medications when I was a teenager. the side effects of those were ten times worse than any joint or apparent illness I ever had
 Brian_Coquitlam_85
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/18/2008 7:07:22 PM
I wouldnt doubt it. My aunts mother was prescribed a medicine which interferred with one shes already on. She was in serious shape in the hospital and all. She got an apology, but thats about it.
 genuine29
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2008 9:06:52 PM
we waste billions on trying to control and prosecute pot.
why? because we are told it is a drug.
the same was true for alachol during proahibition, and we all know what happened there.
the moment you put something outside the legal realm, the criminal element will step in and reap the financhial benefit of providing it to the masses who want it.
the REAL GATEWAY DRUG is and always has been alachol. people do more things they will later regret if they can rember the events of the night before.
here is my proof....
finish the sentance with the following choices, drinking or smoking pot
i'm never ________ again.
 Brian_Coquitlam_85
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/19/2008 8:22:47 AM

we waste billions on trying to control and prosecute pot.
why? because we are told it is a drug.
the same was true for alachol during proahibition, and we all know what happened there.
the moment you put something outside the legal realm, the criminal element will step in and reap the financhial benefit of providing it to the masses who want it.
the REAL GATEWAY DRUG is and always has been alachol. people do more things they will later regret if they can rember the events of the night before.
here is my proof....
finish the sentance with the following choices, drinking or smoking pot
i'm never ________ again.

I think thats pretty apparent, but how can you define one substance as the Gateway drug?. Anyone can start using a drug at any time whether its pot, prozac, alcohol or anything, and be compelled to try another.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/25/2010 10:49:47 PM

According to which US Government authority you want to believe, the lethal dose of marijuana is either about one-third your body weight, or about 1,500 pounds, consumed all at once.

How much DO you weigh if 1500 pounds is roughly a third of your body weight?! lol
 mcalgary
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 12:54:15 PM

The choices they put in front of themselves are a couple hours at the local pub sharing stories with a friend while ingesting an indeterminate amount of alcohol, or having a puff or two on a joint during the drive home. These people have decided that one or the other is the salve to what ails them.

Which one do you wish to encounter on your way home?

Realistically I don't think either should be driving, but personally I would much rather encounter a stoned driver than a drunk one!

Stoned drivers are just as dangerous as drunk drivers the difference being that drunk drivers drive without control and get over aggressive while Stoned drivers either fall asleep or are all over the road because they just don't care.

Both are STUPID.
 velopedian
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:59:03 PM

Why would we legalize such a dangerous drug?

why is alcohol legal? why is tobacco legal? they are both much more dangerous.

for one thing, prohibition doesn't work. there are only three groups that profit from prohibition... criminals, lawyers and guys building new prisons. all of which are a severe drain on our tax dollars.

first- keep it away from kids.
second- educate people about the effects, without resorting to hysteria.
third- regulate and tax the hell out of it the same way we regulate and tax tobacco and alcohol.
 mcalgary
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 7:12:51 AM

Comparing countries that have fully decriminalized weed (like the Netherlands) have lower youth use rates, lower hard drug use rates, and lower levels of alcoholism...and more importantly their rate of increase relative to other countires has been far lower

While this may be true, the Netherlands does not rely on the United States for about 80% of it's exports and have millions upon millions of people, trucks and goods crossing over it's border with them everyday.
The US will not legalize pot and would put as through hell trying to cross the border if we did so we cannot. It is simple economics. Our economy would go to hell and the criminal element would still remain with the exporting of pot to the US (as most of what is grown here is exported there already).

The decriminalization of pot was a good thing and that is as far as we needed to go till the US is ready.
 Gibson67
Msg: 108
Posted: 2/2/2010 8:49:18 AM
Ok Id like to know why you think Cannibas should be illegal..Do you know that Cannabis resin kills cancer cells and yes cures cancer?..Go to youtube and put in "Run From The Cure" on the youtube search thingy..Watch that film And you may just change your mind on this issue..Do you also realise that marijuana is only illegal because it actually works and kills cancer..Big Pharma companies are not interested in finding a natural cure for cancer as they cannot patent a natural growing plant..Big Pharma companies are very powerful and influence politicians so it will never be made legal as they have too much to lose..Medical Marijuana is a joke, they have removed all the good contents of the plant and its basically rendered useless..You probably also ran out and got your swine flu shot too when they said we were all gonna die without the shot a couple of months back..Do you realise what that shot contains?...well if not you will too late
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >