Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AKwithasmile
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Legalization of Marijuana.Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Pot is so much ‘safer’ then alcohol, and demonstrably so, that it’s hardly worthwhile commenting on this objection. Alcohol kills, ruins, destroys and pot makes you laugh and eat a lot. Of course, I don’t want to laugh and eat pizza all the time, so, every now and then I have a drink.

Whether or not your doctors, airline pilots, bus drivers, air traffic controllers, etc are ‘on pot’ has nothing to do with it’s legality. No one is suggesting that legalizing pot means legalizing or making it okay or in anyway acceptable to use it whenever they feel like it.

I think it should be obvious that the criminalization of marijuana has had no real effect upon it’s usage. Kids are experimenting with it already and so are a lot of other people. Airline pilots and doctors are already smoking it and so a lot of other people.

The detriments of criminalization are many and the benefits hard to discern. The money, resources and time wasted fighting an unending and un-winnable battle could be better spent. I would venture that the money saved and the money made through legalization would be adequate for the treatment and rehab of those addicted to societies real scourges (crack, etc) as well as provide for educational and preventative programs and various resources (playgrounds, gyms, etc) and organizations, etc that would help to help kids stay off of the drugs in the first place.

if it’s good enough for Cal Sagan, it’s good enough for me. and you.
 dook
Msg: 52
Legalization of Marijuana.
Posted: 3/6/2008 4:02:15 AM
Munster: You, obviously not enough.

Just what does 'Grandfathered' mean exactly?
I don't think there are many amongst us who were of age when prohibition was abolished. The Government had a rare moment of clarity, and rescinded an unenforceable law. Nothing says present day Govt's couldn't do the same.

FYI, I don't smoke it.
I just hate to see ignorance, injustice, and prejudice at the hands of propagandised evangelists who haven't done any investigating of their own, and yet profess an expert opinion based upon what they are forced fed by Lieberal nanny state governments.

Honestly, if you had EVER tried it, you would feel ripped off ( no pun intended!)
This is the cornerstone ( pun intended ;o) of why teens continue into much worse drugs. They try pot, after hearing from those in 'authority' that it is the devil
weed, and you will go out and kill babies etc. When they find it is as innocuous as a beer, they try something else, because they find they were LIED to.
They quickly find themselves in a bind, because those other drugs DO in fact make you kill babies. ( themselves, friends etc.) This is all well documented.

It isn't for everyone, and nothing is really, is it? Some vegetate, some thrive. Why should it be prohibited based upon illogical prejudice. For our own protection?
Stop being a sheep, and think for yourself for once in your life man!
Let's try to make this a mature forum free of personal attacks my brother!

Walts
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2008 4:38:31 AM

I am under the impression that it is 5 times stronger then what was around 30 years ago.......and a joint will keep you blasted for the whole weekend.....but don't worry......there are no side effects......

Blasted for a WHOLE weekend with a joint???? Ummm, don't know what you are smoking or where you are getting it,,,,,but can I have the name of your dealer Munster????? That statement alone shows that you do NOT know what you are saying. A whole freaking weekend,,,,, now THAT is funny.

You are also under the impression the yanks are running around "chasing" drunks. In actual fact they are chasing around the big bad pot smokers and throwing them in already full jails and prisons. Makes sense. It also makes sense for them to turn around and try to remove someone from a different country because this person is selling "seeds" by mail to their residents. Ahhhhhh, the horror!!!!!
The yanks "war on drugs" is almost as much of failure(if not more) than the recent war the magically started for reasons they can only find in a few minds. Please don't use anything that goes on down south of the border as examples of what SHOULD be done. Their record is nothing to brag about, nor is the "intelligence" they use for their reasoning of anything. Kinda like some of the reasoning that is being stated here.
 Canadian Sweet Heart
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2008 4:30:14 PM
Ha ha ha how the h-e-l-l can you get BLASTED a whole week-end off of one doobie...thats to dam-n funny
 Temptation50
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/7/2008 4:54:22 PM
Is it just me or are people really misinformed??
Pot is'nt like it was in the 60's .......it's dozens of times more potent and does have very serious consequences.....
From what I've read it basicly renders your short term memory useless while under the influence, besides the other health risks, lungs etc.
Most people can pick out a hard core drinker in a crowd, all you have to do is talk to a hard core pot smoker and the jig is up.........follow me??

Don't legalize or promote this.
 Brian85BC
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/7/2008 5:29:12 PM
^^^^^^some people dont handle it well. other people out there may be a smoker of many years and youd never suspect unless they told you.
 Canadian Sweet Heart
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2008 5:39:26 PM
Good god 3 quarters of the world gets HIGH.....wake up people.....booze is way worse than pot....at least pot does not attack your liver...ya dont wake up with a hang over.....and its cheaper than a good bottle of wiskey.....and ya dont barf.....ha ha I love this thread.....It just kills me how narrow minded people can be......I bet your kids are smoking it to
 gon_fishin
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/7/2008 5:45:40 PM
^^ my kid is 5.. sure hope she isn't
 Temptation50
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/7/2008 5:47:11 PM
Lemme see now...^^^^^.....you're advocating a mind altering drug that puts your brain and body at risk??
You call this narrow minded?.......
Where you got the 3/4 'rs of the world get high stat is a tad bit suspect.
Hopefully some kids are'nt like their parents......our future politicians.....
 Tyeee
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/7/2008 6:04:41 PM
I find entertaining, and a tad troublesome, some comments made by the younger contributors to this thread, advocating the legalization.

It seems some believe the older people just fell off the turnip truck, and have no familiarity with the topic or the substance.
 Xavery
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/7/2008 7:58:50 PM
Hmmm - I have noticed some of the more mature posters advocating for its legalization.
 dook
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/7/2008 8:11:48 PM
Ronald Regan said it best: "If you saw a pilot who had been drinking, you would know. If he was smoking marjuana you couldn't tell."

I'm sure that's not what he meant, but true all the same.

I did a quick Google search, as any one may.
This came up:
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Misc/driving/driving.htm

Marijuana And Actual Driving Performance
U.S. Department of Transportation,
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
(DOT HS 808 078), Final Report, November 1993

"Thus, there is evidence that subjects in the marijuana group were not only aware of their intoxicated condition, but were also attempting to compensate for it. These seem to be important findings. They support both the common belief that drivers become overconfident after drinking alcohol and investigators' suspicions that they become more cautious and self- critical after consuming low doses of THC, as smoked marijuana. "

so?
 AKwithasmile
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2008 11:00:52 PM
Pot is much better now than it was in the sixties or seventies. Or should I say, ‘more potent?’ how ever it’s said, I don’t think anyone is going to argue with this – we are not smoking grandpa’s stash anymore. This stuff is new and improved. Does this make it more harmful? In what way? And in what amount? Because, one smokes according to quality and if the stuff today is twice as good as the stuff yesterday, then, one need only smoke half the amount of today’s stuff to achieve the same state as achieved with the old stuff.

Pot never hurt these guys:
Francis Crick – Nobel Prize winner; co-discoverer of DNA structure
Carl Sagan – astronomer, astrochemist, world recognized popularizer of science, NASA advisor, it goes on and on, too much to list
Lester Grinspoon - Associate Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at Harvard
Nietzsche – who? LOL
Richard Feyman – nobel prize winning physicist and bongo player

Countless musicians, authors, artists, politician, philosophers, etc, etc have smoked and smoke pot. Some of the comments alluding to the impact and effect on intellectual performance (such as holding a simple conversation) are unwarranted and misleading.

Geez, I better go smoke another.

Oh – on the issue of driving performance – I’ve seen similar studies. Marijuana seems to make drivers more cautious and less prone to accidents; however, marijuana and alcohol combined is a disaster waiting to happen and much worse than alcohol alone. Still, more studies need to be done in this area.

In my experience, people who smoke don’t drive. Why? because they’re stoned and they know they’re stoned and if driving needs to be done they’ll wait til they’ve come down. Pot is good for certain activities and driving isn’t one of them.

Regardless, the illegality of it is not stopping anyone from doing anything that they would do if it was legal, and, that, for me, is at the heart of the question – what are the benefits of criminalization?
 dook
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/8/2008 1:39:54 AM
Justifying police/incarceration budgets for one.
If you know the history of it's prohibition, it was quite simple really.
Dupont, and nylon competing against the hemp rope trade.
Mexicans, black blues players, blacks in general, they all needed a reason to lock them up.
They sold the public an ad campaign of absolute lies based upon fear, and ignorance ( still do today, you know who you are). The people still trusted the government implicitly, practically begging to be saved from this scourge, oh and the blacks, and illegal Mexicans.
The NYC police were convinced they needed to go from a .32 to a .38 special hand gun to be able to have an effect , and stop the 'Marijuana crazed negro'.
Sounding ridiculous yet?
The USA has over 2 million people in jail currently. It is a privatized industry. Profit driven, and worth billions to the economy, and shareholders. You want that kind of system up here? You want 1 in 10 of all the folks you know in jail? For simple possession?
It is obviously working wonders down there, isn't it.
 Canadian Sweet Heart
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2008 10:55:09 PM
Like AKwithasmile said time to go smoke another joint......gee maybe in my next post I can mess up all my words and make an a-s-s out of myself because Im to stoned.......Oh and (Temptation50) go do some research and find out what your talking about befor you come back and make an other stupid reply
 *Dolores*
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:29:44 AM

nobel prize winning physicist and bongo player
and pot smoker....
I wonder if he's single........
 AKwithasmile
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:07:56 PM
He’s dead, died in ’88. No, he wasn’t single. Reportedly, his dying words were, ‘I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.’

Please, don’t anyone say they don’t know who Richard Feynman was.
 Canadian Sweet Heart
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2008 4:54:23 PM
1918–1988), American physicist and Nobel laureate. Feynman shared the 1965 Nobel Prize in physics for his role in the development of the theory of quantum electrodynamics, the study of the interaction of light with atoms and their electrons
 Pantherrrrr642001
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/9/2008 5:53:47 PM
^^ and google /wiki saves yet another!
 Xavery
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/9/2008 5:55:24 PM
I thought we had decided - more or less - to legalize marijuana -at least, in this thread.
 Temptation50
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/10/2008 2:16:14 PM
To legalize is debatable.........My opinion was to not.
To advocate it's use, that's a no brainer.......seems the users/addicts seem to take exception to non users opinions, gotta love a free country.

I'm off to convince to entire medical community that it's ok now....

Oh, one other group, find all the really talented/creative/intelligent users and see how much better they function straight.

Cheers
 Xavery
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/10/2008 9:55:17 PM
^Are you saying there is a talented/creative group of users? Are you saying this group would function better off marijuana of not as well?

Temp - With all due respect and peace and love and all that good stuff, I just have to tell you that I hate you signature emoticon. It is sooooooooo juvenille and annoying. You should shake it.
 AKwithasmile
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2008 8:57:57 PM
You mean “really talented/creative/intelligent users” like an Allen Ginsberg, a Bob Dylan or a John Lennon, or maybe a Hunter S. Thompson or a Norman Mailer or a…
You know, I think these guys did pretty good, I wouldn’t complain. Damn, if only Bob had put that doobie down before it was too late….

But, seriously – I’d like to understand what the objection is? It’s bad for your health? A lot of substances and behaviors are bad for your health – coffee, alcohol, tobacco, The Ellen Degeneris Show, etc - we don’t criminalize them.

The real absurdity here is that marijuana is criminalized and alcohol is not (nor should it be).
 gon_fishin
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/11/2008 8:59:45 PM
^^ so what you are really saying.. is if i light up a joint.. i can let my 5 yr old smoke up yeah??
 dook
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/12/2008 3:30:11 AM
I am sure that is EXACTLY what he is saying.

What a waste of an opinion.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.