Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yabbdabbadoo
Msg: 76
Legalization of Marijuana.Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

The choices they put in front of themselves are a couple hours at the local pub sharing stories with a friend while ingesting an indeterminate amount of alcohol, or having a puff or two on a joint during the drive home. These people have decided that one or the other is the salve to what ails them.

Which one do you wish to encounter on your way home?

Realistically I don't think either should be driving, but personally I would much rather encounter a stoned driver than a drunk one!
 Yourmasters
Msg: 77
Legalization of Marijuana.
Posted: 10/18/2008 12:59:26 AM
I do think that they should legalize it so that the jails and prisons won't be even more packed by people being brought up on marijauna charges. We have real criminals that are getting probation because not enough room in jails and prisons. I don't do drugs, but do feel that marijauna is not a harsh drug. But yes the government will tax it extensively, the only down side is more taxes on something that some people really need. Cancer patients and people with other serious ailments.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/18/2008 9:01:57 AM
Dook

I would choose the person who smoked the joint. I am no hypocrite so I can tell you that I have done both over the years and speaking from experience, I would choose the weed 10 times out of ten.

I am on the side of decriminalization. Marijuana is just a fact of life and it will always be around. Too many people like it and choose it as their "drug of choice". Is it harmless? NO. Do some people end up wasting their lives by using it too frequently? YES. Should someone go to jail for smoking it? NO. These are all too simple for me and since I have been around the "element" many times in my life, I would say that I have a good grasp of what I am talking about.

Do I smoke it? NOPE... It is too much for me and I do not like the effects of it on me. It seems too potent to me and I much prefer the effects of alcohol.

Let me go on record and say that Drinking/smoking pot/any kind of drug use should not be done when you have to drive. It's stupid to try and argue in favour of driving in an impaired state (ANY impaired state)it is rediculous and deadly. We as a society know that there is activity being done each and every day that impairs people’s motor skills and judgment. We need to continue to crack down on driving while impaired.

Do we need to throw Joe/Jill into prison because they like to smoke some pot?? Fuk no, that’s just stupid. We prescribe drugs that are far more harmful to people and some people are just impaired naturally, but they don't get thrown in jail for it!.

I also want to say that I hope my children never choose to use drugs/alcohol as an escape as so many seem to do. Some social drinking is ok, but I would love it if they choose to stay clean and sober all their lives. We as a society have placed so many pressures on ourselves and then advertised the hell out of escape mechanisms, that we continue to perpetuate the problem. SO, as long as these things exist, I say we think a little differently and take some of the mystique and all of the criminal element out of them.

Police the other drugs that seem so much more harmful (to me at least)
 Brian_Coquitlam_85
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/18/2008 5:47:58 PM
We prescribe drugs that are far more harmful to people

yup, I took medications when I was a teenager. the side effects of those were ten times worse than any joint or apparent illness I ever had
 Bella™
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/18/2008 5:54:29 PM

I am on the side of decriminalization. Marijuana is just a fact of life and it will always be around. Too many people like it and choose it as their "drug of choice". Is it harmless? NO. Do some people end up wasting their lives by using it too frequently? YES. Should someone go to jail for smoking it? NO.

Let me go on record and say that Drinking/smoking pot/any kind of drug use should not be done when you have to drive. It's stupid to try and argue in favour of driving in an impaired state (ANY impaired state)it is rediculous and deadly. We as a society know that there is activity being done each and every day that impairs people’s motor skills and judgment. We need to continue to crack down on driving while impaired.

^^^ What he said.
 XHTML
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/18/2008 5:58:11 PM
Darkhorse ^^^

A couple of hours ago I was talking to a friend who looks after her elderly mother. She was quite concerned for yesterday her mother was vomiting and having some mental issues: didn't remember her own name or her daughter's name, and urinated in the driveway.

My friend discovered that the medication was double the strength of the prescription. Thankfully the mother is getting more "normal" today but she gave everyone a big scare, all due to prescribed medication and a bungle by the pharmacy.
 Brian_Coquitlam_85
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/18/2008 7:07:22 PM
I wouldnt doubt it. My aunts mother was prescribed a medicine which interferred with one shes already on. She was in serious shape in the hospital and all. She got an apology, but thats about it.
 genuine29
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2008 9:06:52 PM
we waste billions on trying to control and prosecute pot.
why? because we are told it is a drug.
the same was true for alachol during proahibition, and we all know what happened there.
the moment you put something outside the legal realm, the criminal element will step in and reap the financhial benefit of providing it to the masses who want it.
the REAL GATEWAY DRUG is and always has been alachol. people do more things they will later regret if they can rember the events of the night before.
here is my proof....
finish the sentance with the following choices, drinking or smoking pot
i'm never ________ again.
 Brian_Coquitlam_85
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/19/2008 8:22:47 AM

we waste billions on trying to control and prosecute pot.
why? because we are told it is a drug.
the same was true for alachol during proahibition, and we all know what happened there.
the moment you put something outside the legal realm, the criminal element will step in and reap the financhial benefit of providing it to the masses who want it.
the REAL GATEWAY DRUG is and always has been alachol. people do more things they will later regret if they can rember the events of the night before.
here is my proof....
finish the sentance with the following choices, drinking or smoking pot
i'm never ________ again.

I think thats pretty apparent, but how can you define one substance as the Gateway drug?. Anyone can start using a drug at any time whether its pot, prozac, alcohol or anything, and be compelled to try another.
 Entzauberung
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/25/2010 10:00:56 PM
I think this CBC "Nature of Things" episode "The Downside of High" should be interesting. It airs this week.

The Downside of High

Premiering: Thursday January 28, 2010 at 8 pm on CBC-TV
Repeating: Thursday February 4, 2010 at 10 pm ET/PT on CBC News Network

Teenagers who start smoking marijuana before the age of sixteen are four times more likely to become schizophrenic. That's the startling conclusion of some of the world's top schizophrenia experts, whose research is featured in the new documentary The Downside of High.

The scientists' groundbreaking work on the connection between marijuana and mental illness also reveals that, for all young adults, smoking marijuana nearly doubles the risk of developing recurring psychosis, paranoia and hallucinations - the hallmarks of schizophrenia.

Ben was first introduced to marijuana while at a high school in BC. His increasingly psychotic behaviour led to a year-long hospitalization.

The Downside of High, directed and written by Bruce Mohun, tells the stories of three young people from British Columbia who believe - along with their doctors - that their mental illness was triggered by marijuana use. All three spent months in hospital psychiatric wards, and still wage a battle with their illness. Today's super-potent pot may be a big part of the problem. Modern growing techniques have dramatically increased the amount of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana - ramping up the threat to the developing teenage brain.

But there's an intriguing twist to the story: in the process of cultivating more potent strains of pot, growers have also been breeding out a little-known ingredient called cannabidiol that seems to buffer the effects of THC. So today's high-octane pot actually contains a double-whammy - more psychosis-producing THC, and less of the protective CBD or cannabidiol.

Tyler was 14 years old when he first started experiencing psychotic episodes.

For many people, smoking marijuana is not a big deal - it is, after all, the most widely-used illegal drug in the world. The Downside of High provides a scientific perspective on some of the little-known and little discussed risks of marijuana, particularly for teenagers.

The Downside of High is directed and written by Bruce Mohun, story-produced by Maureen Palmer, and produced by Sue Ridout for Dreamfilm Productions (http://www.dreamfilm.ca/) of Vancouver.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/natureofthings/2010/downsideofhigh/
 barefootkitten
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/25/2010 10:49:47 PM

According to which US Government authority you want to believe, the lethal dose of marijuana is either about one-third your body weight, or about 1,500 pounds, consumed all at once.

How much DO you weigh if 1500 pounds is roughly a third of your body weight?! lol
 mis~fit
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/26/2010 4:46:36 AM
After Global news earlier tonight let loose a barrage against
***One whole complete Generation*** whom apparently have got
themselves into quite an undesirable state of Health that the
Heart & Stroke Foundation (???) has issued an advisory & warning:
THIS state of health HAS NEVER BEEN RECORDED in such a
vast ""YOUNG"" group before ....they said.
Namely---> High Blood Pressure---> young adults up to age 39

Tell me true..... would not the legalization of MJ be a pleeasant way
to get these peoples hypertension back down to a slow burn.hahahaha
Nah ~~ forget it. Some people I know who do the dooby become mellow as a
drunk chicken...............but some others pull into reverse gear and go ballistic.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/26/2010 12:06:34 PM

I will put it this way.

Faced with a choice between the following, what would YOU choose?

Man (or woman) leaves work on a Friday and decides they want to partake in something that will alter their state of mind. The choices they put in front of themselves are a couple hours at the local pub sharing stories with a friend while ingesting an indeterminate amount of alcohol, or having a puff or two on a joint during the drive home. These people have decided that one or the other is the salve to what ails them.

Are you serious? You want to legalize something based on which form of impairment people would rather confront?

Yeah, OK

...or that those who argue in favour are obviously pot-heads...

Not true. I don't smoke and I would vote for it to be legalized. I believe marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol or gambling and could rake in probably more tax dollars than either of those.

BUT....

Marijuana will never be legalized in Canada until it is legalized in the United States first.
 mcalgary
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 12:54:15 PM

The choices they put in front of themselves are a couple hours at the local pub sharing stories with a friend while ingesting an indeterminate amount of alcohol, or having a puff or two on a joint during the drive home. These people have decided that one or the other is the salve to what ails them.

Which one do you wish to encounter on your way home?

Realistically I don't think either should be driving, but personally I would much rather encounter a stoned driver than a drunk one!

Stoned drivers are just as dangerous as drunk drivers the difference being that drunk drivers drive without control and get over aggressive while Stoned drivers either fall asleep or are all over the road because they just don't care.

Both are STUPID.
 Skye33
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:02:24 PM
Errrr, my friend's mother was killed by a stoned driver. Neither of the two groups should be driving (in my humble opinion).
 literallydreaming
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:03:30 PM
Governments won't leglaize something they can't tax, and I've heard marijuana is easy to grow

There is a reason it was called the Marihuana (sic) TAX Act of 1937 in the US
 whitetigeress
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:23:23 PM
I believe marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol or gambling and could rake in probably more tax dollars than either of those.
^^
i disagree that is less harmful
 literallydreaming
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/26/2010 3:33:55 PM
Than alcohol? Really?
 whitetigeress
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/26/2010 5:42:37 PM
I have my opinions ... and reasons for them
you have yours

let's leave it that

I ain't gonna poke at the grey matter of this topic... its been done to death
it's like poking a limp d***
it isn't going to rise people
 Gourmand123
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/26/2010 6:45:33 PM
^^agreed! He's wrong and your right lol! imho
 Entzauberung
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/29/2010 9:25:36 AM
I watched my recording of CBC "Nature of Things" episode "The Downside of High" (see msg 125 previous).

It is a fascinating study, exploring the biological mechanisms of how marijuana changes the brain.

The brains in teens undergo a process "neural pruning" and marijuana interferes with the process.

Synaptic pruning
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In neuroscience, synaptic pruning, neuron pruning or neuro-structural re-assembly is a neurological regulatory process, which facilitates a productive change in neural structure by reducing the overall number of overproduced or "weak" neurons into more efficient synaptic configurations. It is often a synonym used to describe the maturation of behavior and cognitive intelligence in children by "weeding out" the weaker synapses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_pruning

They examined genetic differences and depending on the makeup of a particular gene, teenagers can be twice as likely or five times as likely to develop having psychotic episodes and developing schizophrenia from smoking pot, while others have no risk.

Teens with family history of mental disorders are at a higher genetic risk of developing their own problem if they smoke pot.

Perhaps in the future we'll have genetic screening to accurately predict which teens are at little risk, or face double or five times the risk.

In light of this information I'd discourage teens from smoking pot, at least to wait until they were adults and their brains have completed the neural pruning.

The documentary airs again Thursday February 4, 2010 at 10 pm ET/PT on CBC News Network

You can watch the full 45 minute episode online at:
http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/natureofthings/2010/downsideofhigh/
 flowerforce
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:45:18 AM
The latest research on Marijuana indicates the young pot smokers have ah higher risk of paranoid schizophrenia.Also research shows that one Marijuana cigaret does as much damage as twenty tobacco cigarets. Research also shows that it does damage to the brains of children and youth not to mention depression in adults. Why would we legalize such a dangerous drug?
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/29/2010 1:04:14 PM

The latest research on Marijuana indicates the young pot smokers have ah higher risk of paranoid schizophrenia.Also research shows that one Marijuana cigaret does as much damage as twenty tobacco cigarets

The preceding message has been brought to you courtesy of the office of Rush Limbaugh
 flowerforce
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/29/2010 1:31:03 PM
Msg # 138
Actually it was on the CBC. If you want to destroy the brains of out youth by making MJ legal fair enough. I having worked with children youths and adults as a counsellor for the last forty years. I have seen the damage it does and will continue to vote NDP. In the mean time do the research yourself . JERK
 Gourmand123
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/29/2010 1:40:00 PM
RBJ: she's right and you know it yourself from life experience! Why pretend the cart is pushing the horse now? The only way down this path is the recognition that encouraging MJ use increases the health risks to our Youth. Spain apparently legalized pot many years ago. They have since had a 20% increase in youth usage....oh well, I guess it saved them money. Could be your grand daughter one day. Is her brain worth spending $ or looking for other soloutions??
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.