Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 barefootkitten
Msg: 126
Legalization of Marijuana.Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

According to which US Government authority you want to believe, the lethal dose of marijuana is either about one-third your body weight, or about 1,500 pounds, consumed all at once.

How much DO you weigh if 1500 pounds is roughly a third of your body weight?! lol
 mis~fit
Msg: 127
Legalization of Marijuana.
Posted: 1/26/2010 4:46:36 AM
After Global news earlier tonight let loose a barrage against
***One whole complete Generation*** whom apparently have got
themselves into quite an undesirable state of Health that the
Heart & Stroke Foundation (???) has issued an advisory & warning:
THIS state of health HAS NEVER BEEN RECORDED in such a
vast ""YOUNG"" group before ....they said.
Namely---> High Blood Pressure---> young adults up to age 39

Tell me true..... would not the legalization of MJ be a pleeasant way
to get these peoples hypertension back down to a slow burn.hahahaha
Nah ~~ forget it. Some people I know who do the dooby become mellow as a
drunk chicken...............but some others pull into reverse gear and go ballistic.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 128
Posted: 1/26/2010 12:06:34 PM

I will put it this way.

Faced with a choice between the following, what would YOU choose?

Man (or woman) leaves work on a Friday and decides they want to partake in something that will alter their state of mind. The choices they put in front of themselves are a couple hours at the local pub sharing stories with a friend while ingesting an indeterminate amount of alcohol, or having a puff or two on a joint during the drive home. These people have decided that one or the other is the salve to what ails them.

Are you serious? You want to legalize something based on which form of impairment people would rather confront?

Yeah, OK

...or that those who argue in favour are obviously pot-heads...

Not true. I don't smoke and I would vote for it to be legalized. I believe marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol or gambling and could rake in probably more tax dollars than either of those.

BUT....

Marijuana will never be legalized in Canada until it is legalized in the United States first.
 mcalgary
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 12:54:15 PM

The choices they put in front of themselves are a couple hours at the local pub sharing stories with a friend while ingesting an indeterminate amount of alcohol, or having a puff or two on a joint during the drive home. These people have decided that one or the other is the salve to what ails them.

Which one do you wish to encounter on your way home?

Realistically I don't think either should be driving, but personally I would much rather encounter a stoned driver than a drunk one!

Stoned drivers are just as dangerous as drunk drivers the difference being that drunk drivers drive without control and get over aggressive while Stoned drivers either fall asleep or are all over the road because they just don't care.

Both are STUPID.
 Skye33
Msg: 130
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:02:24 PM
Errrr, my friend's mother was killed by a stoned driver. Neither of the two groups should be driving (in my humble opinion).
 literallydreaming
Msg: 131
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:03:30 PM
Governments won't leglaize something they can't tax, and I've heard marijuana is easy to grow

There is a reason it was called the Marihuana (sic) TAX Act of 1937 in the US
 whitetigeress
Msg: 132
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:23:23 PM
I believe marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol or gambling and could rake in probably more tax dollars than either of those.
^^
i disagree that is less harmful
 literallydreaming
Msg: 133
Posted: 1/26/2010 3:33:55 PM
Than alcohol? Really?
 whitetigeress
Msg: 134
Posted: 1/26/2010 5:42:37 PM
I have my opinions ... and reasons for them
you have yours

let's leave it that

I ain't gonna poke at the grey matter of this topic... its been done to death
it's like poking a limp d***
it isn't going to rise people
 Gourmand123
Msg: 135
Posted: 1/26/2010 6:45:33 PM
^^agreed! He's wrong and your right lol! imho
 Entzauberung
Msg: 136
Posted: 1/29/2010 9:25:36 AM
I watched my recording of CBC "Nature of Things" episode "The Downside of High" (see msg 125 previous).

It is a fascinating study, exploring the biological mechanisms of how marijuana changes the brain.

The brains in teens undergo a process "neural pruning" and marijuana interferes with the process.

Synaptic pruning
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In neuroscience, synaptic pruning, neuron pruning or neuro-structural re-assembly is a neurological regulatory process, which facilitates a productive change in neural structure by reducing the overall number of overproduced or "weak" neurons into more efficient synaptic configurations. It is often a synonym used to describe the maturation of behavior and cognitive intelligence in children by "weeding out" the weaker synapses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_pruning

They examined genetic differences and depending on the makeup of a particular gene, teenagers can be twice as likely or five times as likely to develop having psychotic episodes and developing schizophrenia from smoking pot, while others have no risk.

Teens with family history of mental disorders are at a higher genetic risk of developing their own problem if they smoke pot.

Perhaps in the future we'll have genetic screening to accurately predict which teens are at little risk, or face double or five times the risk.

In light of this information I'd discourage teens from smoking pot, at least to wait until they were adults and their brains have completed the neural pruning.

The documentary airs again Thursday February 4, 2010 at 10 pm ET/PT on CBC News Network

You can watch the full 45 minute episode online at:
http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/natureofthings/2010/downsideofhigh/
 flowerforce
Msg: 137
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:45:18 AM
The latest research on Marijuana indicates the young pot smokers have ah higher risk of paranoid schizophrenia.Also research shows that one Marijuana cigaret does as much damage as twenty tobacco cigarets. Research also shows that it does damage to the brains of children and youth not to mention depression in adults. Why would we legalize such a dangerous drug?
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 138
Posted: 1/29/2010 1:04:14 PM

The latest research on Marijuana indicates the young pot smokers have ah higher risk of paranoid schizophrenia.Also research shows that one Marijuana cigaret does as much damage as twenty tobacco cigarets

The preceding message has been brought to you courtesy of the office of Rush Limbaugh
 flowerforce
Msg: 139
Posted: 1/29/2010 1:31:03 PM
Msg # 138
Actually it was on the CBC. If you want to destroy the brains of out youth by making MJ legal fair enough. I having worked with children youths and adults as a counsellor for the last forty years. I have seen the damage it does and will continue to vote NDP. In the mean time do the research yourself . JERK
 Gourmand123
Msg: 140
Posted: 1/29/2010 1:40:00 PM
RBJ: she's right and you know it yourself from life experience! Why pretend the cart is pushing the horse now? The only way down this path is the recognition that encouraging MJ use increases the health risks to our Youth. Spain apparently legalized pot many years ago. They have since had a 20% increase in youth usage....oh well, I guess it saved them money. Could be your grand daughter one day. Is her brain worth spending $ or looking for other soloutions??
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 141
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:00:09 PM
I having worked with children youths and adults as a counsellor for the last forty years. I have seen the damage it does ..

Uh, thats a negative there social worker. This is the problem, your ideas are based on anecdotes, not research. I presume you are a Stephen Harper disciple. Stephen is TOUGH ON CRIME>>>TOUGH ON DRUGS...

Seems like straight people are always getting TOUGH on something.
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 142
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:13:59 PM
Actually it was on the CBC.

Not just the CBC. A group of doctors & scientists did a serious study on a wide range of drugs a few years back and wrote it all up for The Lancet. The BBC did a documentary based on their results, and doubtless the paper got picked up by a lot of other news media as well. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if every serious result quoted here points back to that one survey ultimately.

Among a bunch of interesting and counter-intuitive things they reported on, they were unanimous in concluding that marijuana is considerably more dangerous than most people think. Going from memory, what I remember of their specific points was: it rated #10 out of 20 for risk, above LSD and ecstasy. People think it's harmless because nobody dies from it, but in contrast to other drugs it has wide-ranging, non-specific and enduring effects on brain chemistry. Whether it causes schizophrenia is arguable at best (read: probably not), but the evidence for it causing paranoia is much more solid. There might well be lots of other ways in which it causes inobvious neurological conditions. It's quite different that way compared to something like ritalin, which has effects that are easy to trace and measure.

Perhaps that tendency to cause paranoia explains the large number of people around here with crazy conspiracy theories.

Anyone remotely interested in the subject should look up the study. The drugs they rated most dangerous (again, going from memory) were cocaine and heroin - no surprise. I believe alcohol clocked in at #3, though, and tobacco somewhere around #5 or #7. That just for fun and information's sake...

P.S. Found a few blogs which summarized the Lancet study. This one's good because it also has a link to the BBC documentary:

http://ironwolf.dangerousgames.com/blog/archives/458

Looks like a couple of the small details I tried to remember were a bit off - marijuana is #11, not #10. Anyway, the basic gist is right: they rate it less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco but absolutely clearly NOT harmless.
 velopedian
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:59:03 PM

Why would we legalize such a dangerous drug?

why is alcohol legal? why is tobacco legal? they are both much more dangerous.

for one thing, prohibition doesn't work. there are only three groups that profit from prohibition... criminals, lawyers and guys building new prisons. all of which are a severe drain on our tax dollars.

first- keep it away from kids.
second- educate people about the effects, without resorting to hysteria.
third- regulate and tax the hell out of it the same way we regulate and tax tobacco and alcohol.
 ritawayward
Msg: 144
Posted: 1/30/2010 7:02:18 AM
^^^^ What HE said! And thanks for the congrats on quitting tobacco for over twenty years! ditto to you!

And thank you BE for the info about that doc airing again and where it can be found online. I was very disapointed to miss it on Thursday night so now I can still catch it and that is good news.
 literallydreaming
Msg: 145
Posted: 1/30/2010 2:53:47 PM

The latest research on Marijuana indicates the young pot smokers have ah higher risk of paranoid schizophrenia.

No, the latest research says that those predisposed to schizophrenia are more likely to smoke pot...hence the reason unqualified journalists with no scientific training shouldn't report of science--they don't even know the difference between correlation and causation

Also research shows that one Marijuana cigaret does as much damage as twenty tobacco cigarets.

1-CIGARETTE
2-That study compared UNTREATED (as in not the usual tobacco, which has been treated with everything from cyanide to ammonia) tobacco in a filtered cigarette to an unfiltered marijuana joint---and the "study" actually said 4 times per weight, but nutters have expanded every year almost until it became TWENTY TIMES , oh my god, protect the children

Research also shows that it does damage to the brains of children and youth not to mention depression in adults.

Yea, and drinking as a child does absolutely nothing...talking about underage drug use is a complete non sequitor

And again, correlation versus causation---

People who do extreme sports are more likely to commit suicide--I say we ban skydiving
 literallydreaming
Msg: 146
Posted: 1/30/2010 2:59:46 PM

Spain apparently legalized pot many years ago. They have since had a 20% increase in youth usage

You do realize that most of the worlds usage grew by a similar proportion over the same time period.

Comparing countries that have fully decriminalized weed (like the Netherlands) have lower youth use rates, lower hard drug use rates, and lower levels of alcoholism...and more importantly their rate of increase relative to other countires has been far lower

Prohibition let organized crime get a huge foothold in North America---and drug prohibition is just making it worse
 mcalgary
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 7:12:51 AM

Comparing countries that have fully decriminalized weed (like the Netherlands) have lower youth use rates, lower hard drug use rates, and lower levels of alcoholism...and more importantly their rate of increase relative to other countires has been far lower

While this may be true, the Netherlands does not rely on the United States for about 80% of it's exports and have millions upon millions of people, trucks and goods crossing over it's border with them everyday.
The US will not legalize pot and would put as through hell trying to cross the border if we did so we cannot. It is simple economics. Our economy would go to hell and the criminal element would still remain with the exporting of pot to the US (as most of what is grown here is exported there already).

The decriminalization of pot was a good thing and that is as far as we needed to go till the US is ready.
 Gibson67
Msg: 148
Posted: 2/2/2010 8:49:18 AM
Ok Id like to know why you think Cannibas should be illegal..Do you know that Cannabis resin kills cancer cells and yes cures cancer?..Go to youtube and put in "Run From The Cure" on the youtube search thingy..Watch that film And you may just change your mind on this issue..Do you also realise that marijuana is only illegal because it actually works and kills cancer..Big Pharma companies are not interested in finding a natural cure for cancer as they cannot patent a natural growing plant..Big Pharma companies are very powerful and influence politicians so it will never be made legal as they have too much to lose..Medical Marijuana is a joke, they have removed all the good contents of the plant and its basically rendered useless..You probably also ran out and got your swine flu shot too when they said we were all gonna die without the shot a couple of months back..Do you realise what that shot contains?...well if not you will too late
 literallydreaming
Msg: 149
Posted: 2/2/2010 12:38:26 PM
Maybe good ol' Bushie might have, but Obama completely shut down most federal drug cases not involving violence....

Also, the Dutch didn't legalize, they just had more decriminalization---grow ops are still hit regularly
 literallydreaming
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/2/2010 12:43:10 PM
Hell I like the green as much as any twenty something male, but it doesn't "cure cancer." It has shown SOME effects against tumors.

How is medical marijuana a joke, I know for a fact that in BC and California specifically, the quality of compassion club stuff is considered top notch---you are talking about MARINOL which is a completely different thing

And just so you know, I know you are thinking about mercury. Which in your mind "causes" autism, which is as proven as the idea that drinking hydrogen peroxide cures you of HIV (yes there are seriously large groups of people on the net that believe this)
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.