Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 velopedian
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Legalization of Marijuana.Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
herding... i helped a friend through non-hodgkins lymphoma a few years ago and he used medical marijuana to help him through his chemo. all the local compassion club requires is a note from your doctor. there you'll find that they have a range of different strains that, far from just making you "stupid and dizzy", will help you function better. some relieve pain, others help reduce nausea, still others will give you a little energy.

and yes, it is a heckuva lot cheaper than the other route.

good luck, and all the best in your fight.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 176
Legalization of Marijuana.
Posted: 2/11/2010 10:00:40 AM
So you would say there would have been a need to argue why we should have abolished slavery in the 1800's...correct

Absolutely. You think Lincoln just woke up one day and said "hmmm... you know... hunting with crossbows was abolished in the 1200s. Today I will abolish slavery. All in favour, say Aye. All opposed, we aren't going to count your votes because slavery is wrong and there's no need to defend this decision."
Nuh-uh. He debated the issue with the lawmakers of the day until the act was passed. He was up against a TON of opposition in that regard but you know what won out for him? Solid ARGUMENTS as to why slavery was wrong. Heck, the 13th amendment did not even pass through the house on its first attempt. Pick up a frickin history book and learn about you ancestors dude.

Back on topic, before this one gets whitwashed as well...
Like I said before literally... go ahead and argue it all you want on the "alcohol is legal, tobacco is legal, drugs should be legal" soapbox. It won't get you anywhere.

And guns are not drugs, pot and alcohol are. If you can't get that basic analogical reasoning...well, best be golfing

You're right. Guns are not drugs, but guns are dangerous aren't they? Guns kill don't they? So in that regard, they are very much like alcohol, tobacco and drugs. If you don't get that, then you best just keep on dreaming.
Just because YOU don't see the connection, doesn't mean that it's not there.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 177
Posted: 2/11/2010 11:36:12 AM
(Incidentally, when I say "he" I do mean it in the broader sense... to include all abolitionists. Just thought I would clarify that before you jump all over that, saying that Lincoln technically did not debate the issue himself.)
 4tress
Msg: 178
Posted: 2/11/2010 5:24:46 PM

Is it just me or are people really misinformed??
Pot is'nt like it was in the 60's .......it's dozens of times more potent and does have very serious consequences.....
From what I've read it basicly renders your short term memory useless while under the influence, besides the other health risks, lungs etc.
Most people can pick out a hard core drinker in a crowd, all you have to do is talk to a hard core pot smoker and the jig is up.........follow me??

Don't legalize or promote this.

Thank you, Temptation50!
Is this any news to any of you??
Do I need statistics or is my own judgment enough when I see with my own eyes how teenagers I know well whose growth is stunted from the use of pot, how useless they've become to society in general. They cannot think anymore. And this is ok?
They only live for pot, and yes, they defend it to the death.
Perhaps they don't want to think.

I suppose the alternative for these people would be to come back to reality, instead of escaping through substance abuse. Then and only then a person can deal with their issues/hurts.
So first they try to escape from their problems and then they become the problem.
Back to basics, I say. Black or white. What is wrong is wrong.
 winterfall10
Msg: 179
Posted: 2/11/2010 7:07:09 PM

Like I said before literally... go ahead and argue it all you want on the "alcohol is legal, tobacco is legal, drugs should be legal" soapbox. It won't get you anywhere.

I agree, however, there are many similarities and how we as a society approach addressing issues with drugs or other unregulated substances can take a page from alcohol and tobacco. I wonder, again as I did before, are we okay with how alcohol and tobacco are provided to our society?

Do those of you who oppose legalization of pot feel that alcohol and tobacco should be outlawed as well? If no, then why not? You may find that the answer to why one works and the other doesn't conflicting.

What is wrong is wrong.

How do you define wrong? Laws are written based upon the values a society holds (altruistically at least). At one time, it was felt that alcohol was wrong, and was outlawed in the States, yet there was enough of a public outcry that the law was reversed and prohibition ended. Who was right, or who was wrong?

It appears that people would rather provide conjecture about the symptoms of this issue, rather than discuss the potential resolutions to what is the actual issues are. First, some people within society would like the freedom shared by those who use Alcohol and Tobacco users to smoke pot in the comfort of their own home, without worrying that they are breaking any laws. Second, in part, due to a lack of regulation, anyone, including teenagers can purchase drugs. Third, our society lacks sufficient education on the issues with not just drugs, but alcohol and tobacco use, let alone things such as pharmaceuticals or other controlled substances.

A little off topic but...

The RCMP estimates that the booze smuggling trade from US to Canada is in excess of 8 Billion dollars a year!

Can you cite a reference to this please? I have looked online and have found no indication that a number like this exists. As a counter and to prove I do do my homework and try to back up my numbers (in reference to the 2 billion export comment I made)...

Marijuana is also one of the province's leading exports, perhaps the largest in dollar terms if the OCA export figures are accurate. The top legal exports are wood ($3.2 billion US) and oil and gas ($1.5 billion US). According to the OCA, marijuana exports accounted for as much as $3.8 billion US.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle-old/195/bcmarijuana.shtml
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 180
Posted: 2/11/2010 7:47:29 PM

I agree, however, there are many similarities and how we as a society approach addressing issues with drugs or other unregulated substances can take a page from alcohol and tobacco. I wonder, again as I did before, are we okay with how alcohol and tobacco are provided to our society?

It would not bother me one iota if alcohol and tobacco were suddenly "illegalized".

The RCMP estimates that the booze smuggling trade from US to Canada is in excess of 8 Billion dollars a year!
Can you cite a reference to this please? I have looked online and have found no indication that a number like this exists.

That's because you won't. I have no idea how I managed to type that... it was supposed to read A Billion dollars a year... not 8. My apologies.
The Association of Canadian Distillers will back that number... it's certainly even higher now. I haven't been in the industry for 15 years.

I have no problem accepting the 2B export number you toss out. I have long said that marijuana would be one of BC's top 3 industries, if it could possibly be legalized. I believe in this very thread I said BC would be out of debt almost immediatey if marijuana were ever to be legalized.
The thing is, there is simply no way that it will be legalized in Canada without it being legalized in the States first – and there is absolutely no way it will ever be legalized in the States... at least not in my lifetime.
You know why? Because it would not benefit the Americans to legalize marijuana. Nobody buys California homegrown any more. The strongest pot in the world is being grown in BC (and, to a lesser degree, hydroponically in Alberta). Why do you think the price of cocaine has fallen through the floor in the last 15 years? Because the Columbians can no longer sell pot to the Americans ... Canada's pot is better.
For the Americans to have any desire to legalize marijuana, it would have to mean an economic benefit to them. And less crime does not fall into that category. They could give two hoots (pun intended) about how legalizing marijuana would mean less smuggling into the States.
Now, if you were to tell them that by legalizing marijuana, it could mean a multi-billion-dollar increase in the United States' GNP, their ears might perk up. But as it stands, legalizing marijuana offers no economic benefit to the Americans ... or certainly not enough of one for the States to even consider its widespread legalization.
 4tress
Msg: 181
Posted: 2/12/2010 5:14:51 PM

Do those of you who oppose legalization of pot feel that alcohol and tobacco should be outlawed as well?

Absolutely. If I had it my way: YES!
Why?

"What is wrong is wrong".

How do you define wrong? Laws are written based upon the values a society holds (altruistically at least). At one time, it was felt that alcohol was wrong, and was outlawed in the States, yet there was enough of a public outcry that the law was reversed and prohibition ended. Who was right, or who was wrong?

Not about WHO was right or wrong, but WHAT is right or wrong.
Wrong: Harmful.
There is nothing of value in the consumption of alcohol, tobacco or pot. No nutritional, emotional, psychological value, nothing! If anything all three are a poison to the body, mind and spirit of the individual and if one were to make a detailed list of ALL the pros and cons of each of these substances there would be no way that in one's sober mind one would conclude that it is nothing but criminal for a government, who should be working on behalf of its citizens, to allow/control these dangerous and lethal substances for its own gain. Rather parasitical, don't you think?
Any cop will tell you, for instance, that 85% of all crime is alcohol related. Imagine how much money and grief can be saved if it was outlawed, money which could be re-directed towards education!!
And as far as "public outcry": we elect leaders because we trust them to be examples of integrity and foresight. Just because a misguided and mediocre majority wants something does not make it right. The majority of people are driven by greed and/or the desire for immediate gratification, and look our world situation.
While "Avatar" brought in over 2B in the first week, and we did not mind spending this kind of money on entertainment, can anyone tell me why people are dying of starvation and disease ... basic neglect while we entertain ourselves with movies, booze, tobacco, pot or what-have-you.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 182
Posted: 2/13/2010 9:05:47 AM
Now you suggest entertainment be abolished? That's completely ridiculous, at least the form of entertainment you put on the hotseat.
Going to movies provides psychological and emotional benefits, not to mention sociological ones. And yet you consider it a vice?

What do you recommend we do? Stay at home and eat water and crackers until every ill in the world is cured? Incidentally, "entertainment" would include web surfing so you are not quite practicing what you preach there 4tress.
 4tress
Msg: 183
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:38:32 PM
^^^ I know you'd rather be golfing but....
This is actually cheap entertainment itself, you're joking right?
Of course we need rest and relaxation, and uplifting entertainment too.
I mentioned the movie issue as a blatant example of the disparities in our society and the world.
If in just one week 2billion $$ can be collected easily and effortlessly (no one went hungry to pay for their entertainment), obviously there is more than plenty of money around.
What sickens me is that while we are entertaining ourselves someone else nearby or somewhere in the world is suffering because they are lacking in the basics: health care, food, etc.
We just need to stop wasting and hoarding. To me, the pot issue is just another such symptom.

A musician said to its student:
"If the string is too tight it will snap, if it's too loose it won't play".
Maybe you just golf.
 agudman55
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 4:54:10 PM

But as it stands, legalizing marijuana offers no economic benefit to the Americans ... or certainly not enough of one for the States to even consider its widespread legalization.

I disagree RBG ............... If they were to attach a high "Sin Tax" on weed, their economy would greatly benefit from it. They would also benefit from spending less on housing (jailing) all those "Hard Core" pot smokers.

It would not bother me one iota if alcohol and tobacco were suddenly "illegalized".

I wouldn't have a problem with this either, but it will never happen. The government trough needs the tax dollars that it creates. Look at how dropping only 2% off of GST we pay has effected the governments bottom line during this economic slide.

ratherBgolfing
Msg: 185
Posted: 2/13/2010 5:34:19 PM
If they were to attach a high "Sin Tax" on weed, their economy would greatly benefit from it.
Now that's a slippery slope. Taxes are used primarily for three things: infrastructure, operation of government agencies and redistribution of income (ie social welfare).
Does introducing a new product solely for the sin tax a government can collect on it "greatly benefit" their economy? I say not, so we will agree to disagree on that.
It will benefit the government, once the bureaucracies involved with introducing and implementing a new tax are resolved... but that in itself could even take years (if not decades) to smooth out.

They would also benefit from spending less on housing (jailing) all those "Hard Core" pot smokers.
I will accept that as a tongue-in-cheek remark. Certainly it can't be serious.

Legalizing marijuana from an economic standpoint makes sense for Canada, because of the exportability of the product. That's where it gets all convoluted. The product is really only exportable if it is also legal in the States and in the States, there is little if any exportability of the product because they can't make it any better than Canadians. For that reason, they really aren't interested in legalizing it. Why would the States legalize something just so their neighbour to the North could make a sh1tload of money by selling it to them?
Now, once the US can make it the same grade as Canadian weed, but at a fraction of the cost, then it becomes a viable product for the States.
Guess what though... when that happens, Canada loses its edge in the marijuana business.
If I can buy the same grade weed for less, I could care less what stamp is on the outside of the box (or bag).
 literallydreaming
Msg: 186
Posted: 2/14/2010 7:22:48 AM

The organized crime rate exploding might throw you off though
 literallydreaming
Msg: 187
Posted: 2/14/2010 7:27:31 AM

Nobody buys California homegrown any more. The strongest pot in the world is being grown in BC (and, to a lesser degree, hydroponically in Alberta)

Not true. At all. Cali is swamped with its own stuff, and the strongest pot is really in Amsterdam still---Americans don't really care about legalization because the benefits won't come to swing states, but will go to states like Cali which are already controlled by one party
 literallydreaming
Msg: 188
Posted: 2/14/2010 7:30:16 AM

can anyone tell me why people are dying of starvation and disease ... basic neglect while we entertain ourselves with movies, booze, tobacco, pot or what-have-you.

Are you telling me every cent of yours that isn't going to basic needs is going to the poor? I doubt it...hypocrite.

Any cop will tell you, for instance, that 85% of all crime is alcohol related. Imagine how much money and grief can be saved if it was outlawed, money which could be re-directed towards education!!

You do realize that prohibitions cost spectacular amounts of money, and most importantly, have never really done ANYTHING---usage rates are effectivel untouched by legal means
 gitty--UP
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 9:29:25 AM
Legalize it in some manner or another.

There are far more important matters on the table then this stupid legalize marijuana topic.
 Lyssabee
Msg: 190
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:39:01 AM
Sorry but..Citation needed.
 DameWrite
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 7:52:44 AM
Yes, pot should be legalized. It's not for everyone, but that's not the issue. What bothers me most is when people call it a gateway drug to harder drugs. What actually happens is when the pot smoker wants to get high, he or she has to risk growing their own or has to buy it from a dealer. If the dealer is out of pot...they often make offerings of what they do have on hand, i.e. hard drugs. This is the gateway.
Let pot growers smoke and sell and keep it out of the criminal's hands who's intention is to get people addicted.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 192
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:55:46 PM
if the government sold weed cheaper then what you pay for it on the street you'll ELLIMINATE :
- grow ops
- raids on grow ops
- street dealers
- wasted police efforts
- gang wars

just to name a few tings
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 193
Posted: 1/27/2012 7:09:27 PM
The US would never let us legalize it, so the question is moot.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2012 9:25:38 AM
Well, Mexico decriminalized most personal use of small amounts of virtually all popular street drugs a few years ago. Now they ahve a massive drug war on their hands - because the US has maintained the prohibition, so the crime lords still have an illegal market to sell to.

By the way, the "Swine flu" vaccine we got here did not contain any squaline or any thimerosal, contrary to the lies being spread by the webheads of the "alternative medicine" industry. And the single study alleging a link between vaccines and autism was not only not repeatable, it was proven to be a deliberate fraud. The guy in charge saw busted, convicted and restricted from practising.

But the first episode of the otherwise excellently produced TV series "Eli Stone" still chose to feature a case modeled on the US thimerosol lawsuit, one which the litigants claiming damages WON. And thus was further spread the myth.

It's pretty damn sad how attempts to introduce social responsibility and environmental awareness (along with the removal of science from school curricula) seem to have produced a distrust for reason and a trust in new-age marketeers.
ED BEAR
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 195
Posted: 1/29/2012 7:04:35 PM
actually the biggest hurtle to overcome is that the police can't administer a roadside sobriety test for weed.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 196
Posted: 1/29/2012 7:07:44 PM
Even the Netherlands was forced to toughen up its marijuana laws. And we're far more vulnerable to American pressure as they're our biggest trading partner. And the US would be far more concerned given that we share a 5000 mile border.

It would make sense, but it's not going to happen.
 KtmMe
Msg: 197
Posted: 2/5/2012 5:59:58 PM
Whoa easy on the gun issue in this mix."Guns kill don't they?".No they dont.They are a tool one of many used by people to kill.
 Zohreh11
Msg: 198
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:34:47 PM
decriminalization
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.