Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sarcasm red flag or not?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sensual kitty
Msg: 130
Sarcasm red flag or not?Page 17 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
I hate sarcasm. If a guy is too sarcastic I break it off with him! it's not cute, it's annoying.
 TheFallenJester
Msg: 131
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 4/5/2009 11:32:02 PM
Getting mad at someone for speaking sarcasticaly is like getting getting mad at someone for having an accent.

Sarcasm is really such a huge red flag for me, I really can't stand it.
 widenhorizon
Msg: 132
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/4/2009 9:20:14 PM
Absolutely. Do you think it is a coincidence that so many women here talk about having a sarcastic sense of humor? What man is not going to get weary of that after a while? And yes it is a form of passive aggression - NOT an attractive quality.
 TitusBreast
Msg: 133
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/4/2009 10:56:59 PM
Sarcasm is a gas! Love, Titus
 Snotsure
Msg: 134
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/5/2009 6:04:01 AM
Used properly sarcasm can be humorous, used improperly it can be seen as a sign of insecurity and or aggressive behavior.

More often than not, people who think their sarcasm is funny are clueless as to the nuances involved.

A classic example is be "wrestled" with above this post. Nothing funny about flaming and baiting another poster.
 spunkybum52
Msg: 135
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/10/2009 5:38:01 PM
Well we've all heard the saying "there's truth in joking". If someone is scarcastic to me, I don't like in any sense whatsoever. I think it's just plain rude. I know people who say things in a joking way, but you can see that they really mean it behind the scenes. If a man is saying scarcastic things to me, I would leave him. You don't have to put up with that.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 136
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/10/2009 6:07:19 PM
Yep, cw35's reaction just proves the point against sarcasm.
 nebula22
Msg: 137
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/10/2009 6:11:47 PM
Sarcasm turns me off so fast the earth stops spinning..
I would never consider a relationship with a sarcastic B****.....
 motownmaniax
Msg: 138
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/10/2009 9:21:08 PM

Sarcasm is a sign of intelligence.
Most dumb people can't use or understand sarcasm.

Biggest load of arrogant sh*t I've ever heard.
 Chitownguy40
Msg: 139
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/10/2009 9:49:11 PM
OP, I think you are absolutely correct when you say sarcasm is often a code word for passive-aggressive behavior. I cringe when people tell me they are "brutally honest" or have a "sarcastic sense of humor." Most often, neither is true. People who say that are just rude, cruel, and lacking in social skills.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/11/2009 3:55:17 AM

Absolutely. Do you think it is a coincidence that so many women here talk about having a sarcastic sense of humor? What man is not going to get weary of that after a while? And yes it is a form of passive aggression - NOT an attractive quality.

We went seven whole months without resurrecting this ridiculous thread. Some people get and enjoy sarcasm when it is not used in meanness but to point out the ironies in life, others don't get it and/or don't like it.

Is anyone going to win this debate, nope. Is it going to remain a red flag for some, yup. Is the fact that it is going to be a red flag for some mean THAT is a red flag for others, yup.

Carry on, we should probably be able to get another page or two out of this one before it lies dormant until the boredom again sets in and rocket scientists continue to resurrect old dead beaten into dust horses.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 141
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/11/2009 4:58:36 AM
Sarcasm in itself is a tool, nothing more. It can bring a smile to someone's day, or it can insult. On the Internet, there is a strong tempation to use sarcasm to get into little ego wars with each other, calling each other stoopid and stuff. That, IMHCVNO (in my Health Care voting No opinion), is just a sign of childishness and is an indication of personality. However, if you can use sarcasm as true humor, then that could also be a sign of intelligence. It's not the sarcasm, but how you use it that's important.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/11/2009 9:15:47 AM
I am very sarcastic and I am guilty of using it on this site. I like to us it to put dumb azz men that are mean, in their place.[or die trying] LOL In grade 8, I got the headline in the yearbook...A tongue is not steel, yet it cuts.I sure don't see sarcasm as a red flag.
 Rarebird76
Msg: 143
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/11/2009 12:02:11 PM

I have been thinking about this for awhile. I see alot of people decribe themselfs as having a sence of humor that has a sarcastic bite or being witty with sarcasm. I am thinking this is a red flag for passive agressiveness. Usually sounds like unresoved isuues or even plain meanness.
^^^^^^Holy shit...OP has mad spelling skills!!! (sarcasm)

Sarcasm can be a way to illustrate to otherwise hardheaded folks a point they might not otherwise entertain if you argued in normal "contest" fashion.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 144
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/11/2009 4:26:32 PM
I love "this" ...

There is no place in a healthy relationship for sarcasm.

Some may excuse their sarcasm suggesting they are just kidding, or they don't really mean it, or they were just giving their spouse a "bad time."

The truth is, both the giver and receiver of sarcasm are well aware of the meaning and underlying purpose in it. It is a rather passive aggressive way of criticizing; being rude in a more "acceptable" way, subtly hurting another while maintaining room for denial.

Regardless of what one wants to call it, regardless of how one wants to minimize it, regardless of how one wants to pretend there is no meaning behind it, sarcasm leaves a sting.

Thomas Caryle once wrote that, "sarcasm is the language of the devil."

He understood that their is a subtle cruelty to sarcasm that hurts and leaves its mark.

In a healthy relationship, sarcasm should not exist.

If there are issues in a relationship that need addressing, they should be addressed, worked on, discussed. They should be dealt with, with openness, care, and concern.

They should not be harbored and repressed only expressing themselves in inappropriate ways either by lashing out with criticism or sarcasm.

If your relationship is filled with your expressions of sarcasm, best explore what is behind the need for the sarcastic comments and expression.

Once one comes to terms with their own need for responding with sarcasm, she/he can find more appropriate and healthy ways to address whatever it is that is bothersome.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 145
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/12/2009 9:26:24 AM

I live and breathe on sarcasm.... I find clever sarcastic humor a HUGE turn on. To me it shows intelligence.
When stupid people try to use sarcasm, they fail and become "mean" ....

there's a difference between being an asshol.e and being sarcastic

at least I know I'm an ass.hole.
 WasabiGal
Msg: 146
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/12/2009 9:36:18 AM
My experience with BFs who called themselves sarcastic, and who also considered themselves intellectuals, was that they were were self-obsessed and immature. I grew tired of people who thought themselves to be witty and clever at the expense of other people. I don't need a bf (or friend for that matter) who has to take strips out of people (myself included) in order to validate themselves. But that has to do probably a lot with becoming older....I think I valued sarcasm when I was younger.

I remember a quote...sarcasm is the protest of people who are weak.....or something to that effect. It's from A Separate Peace.
 *pisceseyes
Msg: 147
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/12/2009 9:45:24 AM
flag me then

and esp online many forms of sarcasm can be MISCONSTRUED for friendly banter, sarcasm is sooo dependent on the tone and timbre of one's voice, so using it in writing /online can be much harder to pick up on the page than it is in dialogue
 Rarebird76
Msg: 148
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/12/2009 9:52:27 AM

I grew tired of people who thought themselves to be witty and clever at the expense of other people.
Sometimes some people deserve sarcasm and that's the only thing that will crack their "shell" because they might be too proud for a direct confrontation and will "dig in/shut down" a mutual exchange of viewpoints if they detect a direct challenge. If you invert the mirror on them some of them begin to realize how their rationalization may not be as airtight as they think.
 CaptainDad
Msg: 149
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/12/2009 10:45:39 AM
Sarcasm doesn’t hurt people, asshats hurt people

Couldn't agree more.

It's the intent behind the sarcastic comment that defines the insult or humor.

I like it when someone says in their profile that they don't like or like sarcasm. Saves me a lot of time since I'm not likely to change what I think is funny.

Red flags are red flags for me!

Sarcasm is a sign of intelligence.
Most dumb people can't use or understand sarcasm.

Biggest load of arrogant sh*t I've ever heard.

Thank you for making the point. Witty sarcasm is tough to do and is funny. Stupid sarcasm is just mean and dumb. Of course just not getting a joke makes everything seem mean or dumb, oh well.
 Rarebird76
Msg: 150
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/12/2009 4:22:37 PM
I'm tired of red flags.......can we switch it up with some teal and or magenta flags? Red flags have officially bored me. Let's use some imagination people!
 whytwater
Msg: 151
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/12/2009 4:29:10 PM

I'm tired of red flags......

Me, too, for chrissakes!! This is a friggin dating site, the mission should be obvious to all- where are the threads about green lights and checkered flags? The reasons to progress, not default and punch out, would do every bench player in here a helluva lot more good. imho
 WasabiGal
Msg: 152
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/12/2009 4:54:16 PM
polka dots, please
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 153
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 11/13/2009 7:58:08 AM
It's classic. You're an ass, immature, mean and a jerk if the "receiving party" lacks intelligence to deal with witty humor. I find people who don't like sarcasm to be very BOOoooriingggg.... and slow.... mentally that is... LMAO//

please! stop grandstanding.............we hate it when people go on about themselves.
 cusechick26
Msg: 154
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/28/2012 7:42:37 PM
What if you cant tell if the personnel is serious or not when it comes to the sarcasm
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sarcasm red flag or not?