Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sarcasm red flag or not?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 motownmaniax
Msg: 101
Sarcasm red flag or not?Page 5 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Let me be crystal clear on how "I" interpret sarcasm. The definition's very simple and offers no wiggle room for misinterpretation.

In my view, there is no such thing as "harmless" or "fun" sarcasm. It's meant to be vicious and wielded as a weapon. There are no "good" sarcastics vs "bad" ones. They're all the same in my book.

If you believe there is such delineation, you're either not practicing pure sarcasm or misidentifying it for a completely different form of verbal jousting.

Again, without knowing you personally and actually seeing how you act, any opinion about “your” behavior and personality is pure speculation on my part.

But we CAN debate the merits of sarcasm itself, and those that project it as a form of entertainment. This is a separate concept, apart from anything personal about you or me.

Pure sarcasm, as a behavior, is indefensible in my mind. I don't know how else to put it?
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/6/2009 9:35:34 PM
Sarcasm is not funny! It is a red flag! It leads to a bumpy road ahead. Are u up for that? It is a form of abuse in my book!
 TitusBreast
Msg: 103
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 12:05:38 AM
I think sarcasm rocks! You're too sensitive a person if sarcasm causes you to bristle in fear or something. Most who love it have made it an art form. You either love it or you hate it. My ex-husband hated it. I love it! Love, Titus
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 104
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 1:23:38 AM
Sarcasm is not funny! It is a red flag! It leads to a bumpy road ahead. Are u up for that? It is a form of abuse in my book!

watch out for the ditch.

I wonder if I told Mo that he's a self loathing hypocrite if he would construe it for sarcasm.....

I kid, I kid................have a beer Mo..... You actually brought up some good points for a change.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 105
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 1:38:32 AM

Believe me sarcasm is UNHEALTHY literally. The sarcastic folk I know I have to psyche myself up whenever I HAVE to hang out with them (have here meaning zero option of escape). Its like a bad toxic chemical, they want to spread it and kill everything alive with their sour words. Those who hang around sarcastic people have poor health too. I just don't like sarcastic people at all. Not my cup of tea. Its literally like a bad cancer.

Ya I've been wondering what this huge lump on my throat is.....
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 106
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 2:41:18 AM

Eerm, actually this is that part where somebody sneaks from behind with a baseball bat in their hands and slips and falls acidentally hitting you on the back of the head thereby causing you to pass out lol! You guys are hilarious though I have to admit.

jesus you could give Mo a run for his money.....

Mo I kiiid I kiiiid........
 All_Sarcasm_Intended
Msg: 107
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 2:44:52 AM
Sarcasm isn't a red flag if you can handle sarcasm. It is a red flag if you cannot handle it. Simple. My parents split when I was young and I grew up with one family being really sarcastic and the other being serious/sensitive. I've learned to adapt. All people really need to be able to do is to throw one sarcastic comment out there...then gauge the reaction. Watch body language/expressions.

I hate sarcasm. I was speaking with blunt honesty about how I feel about your ilk. Learn to tell the difference.

It also seems 99% who indulge have these grand delusions about how they sound, but in reality don't have the brain power and emotional maturity to pull it off and just sound pathetic instead.

Ok so its wrong to be sarcastic in your mind, but, Its ok to act like a jack@ss towards people who don't agree with you? If you are half as arrogant in real life as you are in this thread...it would be no surprise for you to be at the end of many sarcastic comments.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 108
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 7:50:53 AM
^^^^^^

Ok so its wrong to be sarcastic in your mind, but, Its ok to act like a jack@ss towards people who don't agree with you? If you are half as arrogant in real life as you are in this thread...it would be no surprise for you to be at the end of many sarcastic comments.

Hmm, as opposed to you acting like a jack@ss when people don't agree with "you", eh? (as in “liking” sarcasm) Guess it never occurs to some that they fall into their own trap of logic. Also funny how some make it personal when I talk about the concept of sarcasm as opposed to the individual who practices it. Feathers get immediately ruffled and backs arch in fight mode if one even “thinks” they’re being included in the conversation.

Sumo made some nice points. The problem with sarcasm is one you hit on last page.

Mostly, sarcasm is used by the intelligent to poke fun at the hypocrisy of people on the micro and macro leve. Some of it is vicious. But, the vast majority is to stand back and take a laugh at the behaviors of people, which oftentimes include yourself. It's called having a sense of humor. You clearly do not have one.

First off, from my understanding satire and irony is NOT sarcasm, at least the definition I put forth in this thread. The dictionary definition’s pretty clear. The good-natured ribbing and put-downs you have between friends is NOT sarcasm, since you’re doing it out of an already well-defined sense of friendship and everybody knows exactly what is meant by it. (Although, I’ve seen instances of serious falling outs between long-time friends simply over misused words and misunderstandings about the meaning behind them).

Sarcasm is a distinct form and different from what you're talking about.

Rock Man also made a good point, one that I mentioned earlier.

I see many who apparently have the grandiose notion their wit and wisdom is on par with Mark Twain or Shakespeare? Leave real satire to the masters and professionals, people. What I see all too often in this society is that perceived “wit” degenerates into gutter humor and scatological rants. Personally, I don’t presume to have a rapier wit so don’t indulge in putting down others for my own enjoyment. I'm not that "funny", and I suspect most of the rest of you aren't, either.

Oh, and I have a well-developed sense of humor, believe me, Sumo. Never make assumptions.

Reckless Optimist, you look like that kid in Super Bad. Talk about getting beat up as a kid? I kid, I kid ..... have a beer.

Mo
 motownmaniax
Msg: 109
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 8:20:55 AM
^^^^^ 100% agree.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 110
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 12:29:10 PM

My perspective is, a lot of people describe themselves as "sarcastic", which is sort of an excuse ahead of time, and code for "I'm like a bull in a china shop when it comes to considering the feelings of others, so when (not if) I say something ignorant, I'll just say something like, 'I was just being sarcastic! Gawd, don't you have a SENSE OF HUMOUR?!?'"

And that's all it is just your perspective just like Mo has an opinion of my hair do
many try sarcasm and end up flubbing it up winding up looking the fool ,real sarcasm is innate and when correctly delivered to whom it may concern it does not need to entail a warning or the very least an apology.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 111
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 1:30:09 PM

And that's all it is just your perspective just like Mo has an opinion of my hair do
many try sarcasm and end up flubbing it up winding up looking the fool ,real sarcasm is innate and when correctly delivered to whom it may concern it does not need to entail a warning or the very least an apology.

I love the new do. ^^^ I agree. There are those of us who enjoy and even require company that embraces sarcasm. I also enjoy the ironic, moronic, simplistic, overt, covert and sick/twisted humor. The only bad sarcasm is when it's meant to hurt someone and that isn't really sarcasm. That's a serious lack of tact, empathy, common courtesy and generally equivalent to out and out meanness. JMO
 Fifi47
Msg: 112
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 1:31:52 PM
The acronym for my profession is SLP. My first and last name initials are L.P. My friends tell me that the acronym for my profession is fitting since it also is the acronym for Sarcastic L.P. If sarcasm is not done in a cruel way, it is fine for me.
 All_Sarcasm_Intended
Msg: 113
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/7/2009 2:48:48 PM

Hmm, as opposed to you acting like a jack@ss when people don't agree with "you", eh? (as in “liking” sarcasm) Guess it never occurs to some that they fall into their own trap of logic. Also funny how some make it personal when I talk about the concept of sarcasm as opposed to the individual who practices it. Feathers get immediately ruffled and backs arch in fight mode if one even “thinks” they’re being included in the conversation.

Being sarcastic is not equal to being a jack@ss. Being a jack@ss is equal to being a jack@ss. Sarcasm is not appropriate with everyone. Some people can handle it, some people can't but, apparently, you can't see this because you're too busy saying all sarcasm is bad. Its not a black and white situation.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 114
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/8/2009 4:57:46 AM
^^^ That's because you're mistaking real, honest-to-goodness sarcasm with something else. Again, people seem to be a bit fuzzy on the textbook definition.

Mo
 All_Sarcasm_Intended
Msg: 115
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:26:10 PM

That's because you're mistaking real, honest-to-goodness sarcasm with something else. Again, people seem to be a bit fuzzy on the textbook definition.

Sarcasm is sarcasm...dont care which way you look at it. I'm not fuzzy on the textbook definition. Sarcasm is not a bad thing. Sarcasm can only be as bad as the person's intentions. In other words....I agree with the above poster.
 Miss New Year
Msg: 116
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/15/2009 2:36:19 PM
Sarcasm that has a tone of Contempt in it is very different from Humorous Sarcasm, in my opinion. And who the sarcasm is directed at? For what purpose? If it is to shame another, feel superior to or embarass/humiliate one, it is not Funny! I think you are correct when you say, it's passive/aggressive & shows alot of unresolved conflict in the one using the sarcasm. But I do enjoy sarcastic humour sometimes, as long as the intention isn't to hurt someone. Bumpy road ahead? Maybe based on the roadsigns along the journey... just watch for them.
 sunkist76
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/19/2009 5:30:25 PM
So my SARCASM is the reason I don't have a boyfriend. Darn, I thought it was becaue I was short. Guess I'll have to work on that since I'm not going to grow any taller.
 sunkist76
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/20/2009 1:14:19 PM

mjr150:When I see sarcasm in a profile, I read it as someone who just wants to tell the world that they are bold and will speak their mind.

that is what i do. i just try to do it in a "funny" way.
 sunkist76
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/20/2009 1:23:43 PM

trulio:So coming from a true friend it is acceptable, and honoured, for it is truly funny, but from the outside, may be not.

that is the key to sarcasm: knowing when/who to use it around.
 chameleonf
Msg: 120
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/20/2009 2:39:53 PM
Ahh well then, if it's a slogan it must be fact (likely put out there by a sarcastic individual).
 Renaissance Mun
Msg: 121
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/20/2009 3:48:05 PM
Very simple:

JAY LENO IS SARCASTIC.
DAVID LETTERMAN IS SARCASTIC.
ALL THE OTHERS ARE.

The networks have plenty of money and choose anyone they want to host a late night talk show.
Of all the types of people they could choose, they chose people with SARCASTIC PERSONALITIES.
Why? Because most people love their personalities and find them entertaining.
NOT PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE.
The result? Millions watch night after night after night. For years.
THEREFORE, nothing wrong with sarcasm. It's a facet of having a good sense of humor, which most people like.
 chameleonf
Msg: 122
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/21/2009 12:12:51 PM
Most people do get what sarcasm is and how it's used. Unfortunately, there are many who think in their own subjective way that their own version of it is humourous - when it's clearly not to anyone but themselves; therefore, it does not make them as intelligent as they'd like to think they are because they're again, only being subjective.

While we're talking about defintions of different words and being that one is so staunchly providing examples in defence of himself, here's a great example of being oxymoronic at it's finest when someone states you hold a higher degree of intelligence if you can understand sarcasm. In the following case the individual it was directed at was being called an idiot, but they apparently got the sarcasm:

Back to pointing out how stupid people are and when they warrant sarcasm. Ever been in a situation when some idiot just doesn't get it? No matter how many times you directly tell them? I use sarcasm here to point out their idiocy. You know what? They finally get it after I make the point with sarcasm.

No need to provide an example of idiocy at this point. The above has already provided the example for all to see in an objective way.

Now, am I being just plainly saracastic here, or am I providing sarcastic humour, being that this is directed at an individual? Are you laughing yet, or are you pissed off? I know I'm laughing at this, as others are likely too. Therefore, this must be the humourous sarcasm which is being so staunchly supported. Then again, that's just my subjective opinion. On top of it, I must be highly intelligent just because I subjectively think I'm being humourously sarcastic!! I'm so glad to know this!! I can sleep soundly at night now.
 chameleonf
Msg: 123
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/21/2009 11:23:05 PM
Actually it's more than me who finds me humorous. This was actually the funniest thing you wrote in this thread. This one had me LOL'ing. You're in the very small minority of people who find me unfunny. IRL and here on POF the vast majority of people love my sense of humor.

Now now. You quoted me and then said I find you unfunny. Where in that quote did I refer to you? Do I have you doubting yourself? If you have a number of people laughing at your sarcastic humour, I'd say you've surrounded yourself with a following of people who are like minded. I have absolutely no knowledge of what your humour is with the people who find you funny, nor the circumstances surrounding whatever it is you say that causes people to laugh.

BTW, when using a large word to insult someone. PLEASE LOOK UP WHAT IT MEANS SO YOU DO NOT USE IT OUT OF CONTEXT LIKE YOU JUST DID. The word you were looking for was irony. Situational irony if you want to get technical. Something you just provided this thread with. An oxymoron refers to a figure of speech in which combination of words contradict themselves. Not an entire passage. But a mere few words. Like sweet sorrow, jumbo shrimp or smart blonde. Please educate yourself more before replying. Otherwise, I will be forced to bill you for my services.

So sorry to burst your intellect bubble, however, you should know that words can be used for more than one use. Before you start throwing stones about intellect or otherwise, know that the word oxymoronic also can be defined as follows: broadly - something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements. What in actual fact is ironic is that you talk about people not being able to take sarcasm...and you take what I have to say, when directed toward you, as an insult. Tsk tsk!

The quote of mine you grabbed was a lead into my story about sarcasm. So you get a B-. You found something, misquoted it and misused it for your agenda. Then you failed to take an obvious point where you could have made some funny jokes and failed miserably.

Ohhhh. I see, you were attempting to make a point about how sarcastic you can be with people. And here I thought you were attempting to point out that you were using sarcastic humour with the object in the story. No wonder I failed to understand. I didn't find it sarcastically humourous. I found your stated behaviour to be nothing less than rude and obnoxious. But it IS part of being sarcastic. I do apologize (not). Not only were you rude, obnoxious and sarcastic in your little story, from the sounds if it, you don't follow directions well either when expressly requested to do something.

Now here's the thing. I used what YOU would call sarcastic humour and directed it at you personally. What happened? I struck a nerve. Which proves the point that those who revel in using sarcastic humour direct at others as part of their every day communications on an ongoing basis (not as a stand up comedian), usually are the worst at being able to take it themselves. I knew it would piss you off and knew what the vein of your comeback would be. Very predictable behaviour. You, sir, use sarcasm (note I didn't say sarcastic humour) as a defence mechanism. You displayed it here, as well as in your little story.

chameleonf
Msg: 124
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 2/22/2009 12:15:00 AM
I could go back and forth with you on this forever Sumo, but I won't. I couldn't be bothered debating with one so closed minded and caustic. Quit while you're not ahead. You're making yourself out to be an ugly individual, whether or not people find you humourous from time to time.

P.S. Defense can be spelled either way...I'm just sayin'....
 hotXXbunz
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Sarcasm red flag or not?
Posted: 3/10/2009 9:40:39 PM
I find sarcasm in a relationship that is established is a heightened state of joking around. In the beginning of a relationship or before you have met the person, it is a complete turn off. There is no reason to start a relationship with sarcastic undertones. It has turned me off from some that I have had connections with
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sarcasm red flag or not?