Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chameleontat
Msg: 287
pit bull dog banPage 4 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
Speaking of spanky and pit bulls with children the dog from Little Rascals was a pit bull was it not. Remember how it used to tear the children apart each episode, NOT. Might make a funny South Park though maybe the PB could kill Kenny by drowning him in drool while licking his face.
 chameleontat
Msg: 289
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/13/2006 5:43:32 PM
Just a little something to indicate how media is bias against pit bulls.

Killer Pit Bulls Rip Granny to Shreds New York Post (NYPost.com) Dec. 11, 2002
Pet Pit Bulls Kill Woman, 80, in Her Home The New York Times (nytimes.com) Dec. 11, 2002
[The victim's daughter and granddaughter (owner of the dogs) could not believe the dogs, a female Pit Bull and a male Lab/Pit mix attacked and killed the elderly woman. The family hired a forensic pathologist to review the case. It was determined that although the victim had sustained some dog bites, all the bites were non-lethal and post-mortem. The grandmother was not "ripped to shreds" by the dogs but died from cardiac arrhythmia. Both dogs were eventually returned to their owners.]

Pit Bull Attack Victim Leaves Hospital WTVO (Channel 17) April 25, 2003
Man Struggles to Recover from Pit Bull Attack WTVO (Channel 17) April 29, 2003
[The man in this case was never bitten by a Pit bull. Indeed, there is no mention of the dog making contact with the man at all. Instead, the man was running from the dog and he ran into the road and "slammed" into a passing van. He sustained serious injuries from the collision with the vehicle.]

Pit Bull Horror New York Daily News February 7, 2004
Pit Bull Mauls 3-Year-Old's Face New York Newsday February 6, 2004
[A Bronx family owned a Boxer dog and a German Shepherd puppy that usually were kept in the basement as guard dogs. Two days before the girl was bitten, the family took in a Pit Bull. The 3-year-old was alone playing with the three dogs when a dogfight started. At this point the girl was bitten in the face by the Boxer (also reported to be an American bulldog). It was later acknowledged that the Pit bull (also reported to be a Pit bull mix and a "pet bulldog") was not involved in the attack on the girl]

Cortland Pit Bull Mauling Death WBNG.com (Channel 12) Dec. 9, 2002
[It was later determined that although the Pit bull participated in the death of 24-year-old Eric Tallman, the dog did not inflict the fatal wounds. The victim died from blunt force injury. It was later revealed that the victim was beaten to death by an acquaintance over a drug debt.]

Vancouver Girl Badly Injured in Pit Bull Attack CTV News Dec. 23, 2002
[This was a very severe attack and as such garnered much media attention. As a result of more in-depth coverage the breed was later correctly identified as a Mastiff/Rottweiler mixed breed]

Family's Pit Bull Kills Boy, 20, months The Gainesville Sun May 8, 2000
20-month-old Killed by Bull Terrier Naples Daily News May 9, 2000
[This child was not killed by a Pit Bull, nor a Bull Terrier, nor a "family" dog. How the dog came to be labelled a "Pit bull" is unexplained. The owner described the dog to be a Labrador/Mastiff/Rottweiler cattle dog. The dog was used to herd cattle and was kept chained on the property. Animal control and the Alachua Sheriff's office confirm the dog was a mixed breed. Photographs of the dog reveal no discernable breed.]

Another serious problem with the image of Pit Bulls is the over-reporting of Pit Bull attacks vs. other breed attacks. Unquestionably, a disporportionate amount of media attention is given to Pit Bull attacks. One example of this is a recent fatal attack in Detroit by a Pit Bull. This story ran in over 30 separate national newspapers and was also picked up by FOX news, CNN and two British newspapers. Two weeks earlier a man was killed by his German Shepherd Dog and this story ran only in the local community newspaper.

Sensationalism at it's worst!
 chameleontat
Msg: 292
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/13/2006 6:18:02 PM
"21% were from Pittbull breeds"
"Here's the stats on registered breeds in the U.S. as of 2004 ( American Kennel Club )"
"I talked to an RCMP officer (He was one of my customers) who handled dogs....all kinds including Pittbulls. He had nothing but praise for German Shepards and Boviers but just shook his head when it came to Pittbulls."

Pitbull Breeds include APBT, American Staff. Terrier, English Staff Terrier, Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, Olde American Bulldog, Bulldog, Olde English Bulldogge, and all crosses thereof. Of which only one is recognised by AKC and very few of them are registered with AKC.
Since when does being an MP make one an expert on dog breeds are not military police just as likely to be bias as any other ill informed individual. Many police departments have found that pits make excellent police dogs and can out perform their traditional German Shepards. Do some research for yourself and tell me I am ill informed. I repeat I do not own or breed Pits but do oppose their ill informed opposition.
 chameleontat
Msg: 293
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/13/2006 6:37:15 PM
I read the whole thing the boy was in the middle of the attack on his dog yet only received a scratch on his hand. An over zeolous cop who is probably bias and ill informed on the nature of pitbulls tazered the dog twice and was the hero. The boy and his dog were within their rights and the pitbull was just doing what many other dogs will do which is going after another dog. The one at fault here is the owner of the pit that had it on a light chain that it could break. (Which I have stated before as the reason I stopped breeding pits, to many irresponsible young gang banger wannabe's were attempting to buy my pups and were aquiring the breed.) Once again if that dog was after that boy and he was on him as the story said the boy would have received much more than a scratch. That pit was not interested in attacking the boy. Pits are very focused dogs and his focus was on the other dog. The boy a pit owner himself was brave enough to get in the middle of things and protect his dog. Which should speak volumes for the boy pit owner and his love for his dog. (Wait was that a boy walking a pitbull somebody better charge his parents with child neglect) The part about the boy would have been shredded is called sensationalism in journalism and is done to sell stories.
 chameleontat
Msg: 296
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/13/2006 7:28:18 PM
Now those last 2 posts I read here have made more sense than anything else so far. As far as regulation or license I would not object as long as government didn't try to make it another bungled example of govenment interferrence in our lives as they so often have done in the past. NEWF, I admire and respect your determination as a mom to protect your children. I have no children, my dogs are my children and I will protect them fiercly if need be. As stated before I don't have pits but if someone was trying to ban me from my boxers God help them. I feeling this way about my breed and having my knowledge and experience with pits will continue to side with responsible pit owners and against the bias media and the ill informed public.
 chameleontat
Msg: 298
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/13/2006 8:03:36 PM
Now don't be picking on intentional crossbreeds as a matter of fact all breeds are crossbreeds. They are all man made for one purpose or another and through selective breeding they are pured out to produce the desired traits repeatedly. In the meanwhile the cross breed dogs before being pured need good homes too.
 harrison_wildman
Msg: 299
view profile
History
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/13/2006 8:43:58 PM
we are haveing pit bull tagged in another state i think they should be cageed they are a dangerouse dog
 pianosinger
Msg: 300
Re: pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:06:25 PM
I have been raised with dogs all my life, show dogs, I have trained dogs and horses. I know a little about dogs.

If a gun kills someone, due you blame the gun or the person who shot the gun??? Pit Bulls are strong dogs, with powerful jaws, they are not the type of dog a novice or inexperienced person should have for a dog. The pit bull and other aggressive breeds should be owned by people who know what they are doing and can take on the role as alpha (pack leader).

I feel that people with these types of aggressive dogs, should pass a law that requires them to either take full obedience and personality training dog and owner, and or prove that their dog is safe, trained and a good citizen. Over here in California people are upset about the horrid abuse of stupidity running rapid in Colorado, where they kill pit bulls friendly or not, just because they are that breed. They are doing Pit Bull marches here in California, where friendly Pit Bulls and owners march for the rights of the abuse going on.

They train people how to handle guns, train the owner how to handle the more aggressive dogs, make the owner have to have the property certified that their aggressive breed cannot escape, and the problems will be greatly lessened.
 pianosinger
Msg: 302
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:33:27 PM
I do not agree with the muzzle, I agree with training and educating owners and their powerful dogs.
 pianosinger
Msg: 303
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:36:54 PM
Stupid owners have no business owning a pit bull or any aggressive breed. Pit Bull breeds many times are owned by people who want to look tough, but no training in what they own. The owners have the wrong attitude from day one, and expecting their dog Pit Bull to be tough. That is another reason the breed is having problems. Don't blame the gun, blame the shooter.
 chameleontat
Msg: 305
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:44:43 PM
The truth behind most of the pitbull bans is that they are really targeting dog fighters and breeders. If it is legal to own a pit as a pet it is more difficult to locate and prosecute criminal dog fighters. If they look at the statistics realisticly there is no big problem of pit attacks on people. The ASPCA, Humane Society and others are behind much of this ban mentality as a means of getting at the dog fighters and breeders. These organizations start out well intentioned but end up infiltrated and taken over by unrealistic extremist fanatics. The bias media jumps on board and sensationalizes it and the blind uninformed sheep follow the leader.
 pianosinger
Msg: 306
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:47:18 PM
I know my dog dislikes muzzles. Again until they owner can prove there aggressive breed dog can be a good citizen, then muzzle. But after training and proof of good citizen,take that muzzle off the dog.

Then owners have to insure their dog with a insurance company(get rid of those who just want to have the dog to look like a tough guy).

This will help owners also with finding homes for their dogs. Which is hard enough for dog owners, and even harder for aggressive breeds.
 chameleontat
Msg: 308
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:53:20 PM
You can make all the laws you want but the truth is we can not enforce the laws we already have.

There are no insurance companies that will knowingly write liability policies for pit bull owners.
 lawany
Msg: 315
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/14/2006 6:41:15 AM
Oh yes and that must be why there are so many people that are afraid of these other breeds.You can argue till you are blue in the face.Get mad at me it means no difference.Until the owners of these dogs learn to control thier animals and these animals can be thought of as respectful citizens in the eyes of all(not just a bunch of people who have had a good experience with them) then there will be a ban. Again I would love to see an alternative.But you dont want that ...nope you just want to argue how "I have been areound pitts allmy lifeand they are so loveable" Hey and I agree with you in some cases.A friend of mine had a pit-bull named Cronic; the most loveable dog and most loyal friend.Until he seen another dog or until he was frightened.Poor dog was stabbed horriably one time and actually survived.This pit-bull would be allowed around my son any day...but sad to say I cannot say that for all.The ban will be put into place it is just unsafe having these powerful dogs.What do you want to do about it argue with me on the POF forums.I dont have to do anything apparently , there will be a ban I do not need to prove my case.And yet all that you can come up with is an argument to a fellow poster.Trying to make him look the fool in front of all kinds of pitt lovers.Just posting makes me look the fool! Idiot! Go out and save your breed! Protest...try to change legislation...muzzle your dog! Get rid of the image on the dog...cause there has to be something don?

Again do you even want to save the breed? You sound like hard-core smokers (I smoke by the way) when they still argue about not being able to smoke in indoor public places...the time has passed and it will never come again.It is not enough to say dont blame the breed. You have to prove it.Actions speak alot louder then words.The words are being said.But the dogs are still uptown...unmuzzled, growling, intimadating and almost seems like they cant wait to get off the leash to bite you.This is why people are afraid.

And by the way you can throw stats till it hurts your fingers from typing.Actions speak more loudly then words!

Ill be here all week to sign your books, breasts or whatever else you would like my autograph on
 chameleontat
Msg: 323
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/14/2006 7:45:41 AM
"Are you sure about that, A Dog weighing over 250lbs should just about be able to make into the Guiness book of world records. A friend of my brother's had a male Bull Mastiff who was a Canadian grand champion....he wieghed 178lbs."

I saw a guy on tv that weighed well over 1000# I know that he would not be a grand champion human but he was big.
 chameleontat
Msg: 324
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/14/2006 7:58:11 AM
I have a question. If a pitbull must be muzzled in public how would it posibly defend itself or its owner against an attack from another dog. Please don't even tell me that it is unlikely to be attacked by another dog because I have walked dogs and I know better. Most dog attacks are not when the owner takes them off there premises anyway. Usually they are on their own turf. If they are not it is usually because they escaped their kennel, house or chain in which case they would not be muzzled.
 chameleontat
Msg: 326
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/14/2006 8:27:19 AM
I am not concerned about being attacked by a dog myself. I have been working with dogs a long time, have been attacked more than once and know how to protect myself against dogs. I have on the other hand known young ladies that take there dog when they go for a walk as a saftey and security thing. If they must muzzle the dog how secure is that. I don't care what you do dogs will escape their premises and there will always be dog attacks, let's make it more rare. I would like to see all dogs restrained to their premises or under complete control of the handler and not have all these people that think after dark they can let snoopy out pee or play off his leash. I have been threatened while walking by many dogs and they are almost always that friendly pet dog that the owner thinks they can let run loose at night. Another issue I have with muzzles is if an average ill informed person sees a dog wearing a muzzle they automaticly assume the animal is vicious and preconceive judgement without giving that animal a chance. Now in all pits were seen muzzled would it help their image any. I do reptile presentations at schools and such and present my large constrictors, my alligator and others for the children to see, touch and learn about. The main thing I stress is not how dangerous they can be but that as human caretakers of these creatures how responsible we must be.
 chameleontat
Msg: 338
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/14/2006 12:19:10 PM
Please follow this link and watch this little presentation about the lives of pitbulls. Then tell me what you think.

http://www.pitbullproblem.tk/
 chameleontat
Msg: 342
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 6/14/2006 1:37:35 PM
"when they do teir jaws lock and they can't release ????????? WTF is that? Umm HELLOOOOOOOOOO Pitbulls DONT have lock jaws Damn the longer this post gets the stupider the comments are getting!!"

That's why it's up to guys like us to educate people dispell the myths & misinformation and give them the facts.
 pianosinger
Msg: 361
Posted: 6/16/2006 2:06:34 PM
I wrote a few things on page 13. I know a vetinarian with 2 pit bulls. She put together the pit bull walks in protest to the killings of innocent pit bulls in Colorado. I told her what was going on in this forum about pit bulls. She sent me something she wrote. I got her permission to show it. For those who want to base thier opinions based on facts and knowledge, and not anger, fear or ignorance then please read her wisdom:
It is 1985 and I am in my third year of veterinary school at UC Davis. I find my values and ethics being challenged to the limit. I want to be a good vet. I want to heal animals. And damn it, I want to save their precious lives! We are being taught how to perform medical procedures and surgeries on real live dogs that are to be sacrificed when we are finished. Even more tragic, the gentlest dogs to work with are not killed and instead are rewarded with a promotion to become guinea pigs for the medical research department. This is how I meet Petey, named after the dog in the Little Rascals. Petey was a Pit Bull. Petey won my heart. Petey was liberated the day I graduated. I had told him to hang on and I would get him out and I did.

Petey and I spent the next 5 years together celebrating our survival. We had summoned our strength and courage to endure the cold realities of a teaching hospital on a mission to train future doctors. And while my psyche was permanently damaged by the unquestioned ethics of animal experimentation, Petey went on to live a happy, untroubled life.

Denied the protective arms of the respected human-animal bond, Petey’s life had not been cherished and valued. His dog life was stolen and yet Petey only wanted to forgive. So, why does a dog give four years of his life to humans who see him only as a lab animal and not fight back? The answer is simple: this remarkable dog modeled the traits of his true pedigree. Traits that show the American Pit Bull Terrier to be a courageous dog, used in law enforcement activities and search & rescue missions. Traits that show this breed to have a good temperament around people and therefore to be worthy of our trust and admiration. Traits that have proven these dogs to be resilient canine athletes, trained for strength competitions and winning awards in the ring for agility. So, what the hell happened? How have Pit Bulls become so feared by society that they have been condemned in cities across the county and are waiting to die in animal shelters? A depressingly sad, disgraceful example of how animals once again suffer at the hands of those who have failed to see the real problem; a society of the mentally blind who find it easier to discriminate than to ask questions.

When you study all the facts leading up to dog attacks on a human or another dog, there is always a history of human neglect, abuse and owner irresponsibility. In addition to neglect and abuse, many of these dogs have been trained to be aggressive towards humans in order to protect the unlawful activities of criminals. Others have just been left tied up in backyards, denied human companionship and early dog socialization, both leading causes of aggression in a dog regardless of breed. Devoted canine companions or killers? Unquestionably, the fate of every dog is determined by human intent. Dogs that have been touched only by hands of human kindness and understood by an open mind show us the true meaning of that popular phrase: “man’s best friend”. However, in a society that fails to protect the lives and welfare of its companion animal population, human greed and ignorance are becoming the domestic dogs’ worst enemy.

It is time to tell the truth. It is time to admit that breed bans are dangerously discriminatory. Time to admit that ignorance and fear have stolen the rational minds of our lawmakers. Time to question the sanity of killing an animal that means no harm simply because it looks like or is a Pit Bull. We all live with danger every day. Women live with the fear of being beaten by their boyfriends and husbands. Children suffer at the hands of pedophiles. The innocent teenager is killed by a drunk driver. Is it rational to condemn all men as a danger to women, all adults as child molesters, and all car drivers as killers? Of course not. We must seek to educate and practice crime prevention. Crime is a failure of society, not a breed of dog!

Here, inside the pages of this book, are the stories that do not make the six o’clock news. These are the stories of bravely optimistic people who saw a dog in trouble, not the shape of its head. They heard the cries for help, not the voices of fear. They fed starving dogs. They took injured dogs to the vet. They opened their homes to the homeless. They are my heroes. They give me hope…

Dr. Paula Terifaj, DVM
 texasblkgntleman
Msg: 376
Posted: 6/19/2006 10:32:04 AM
I have been raising and breeding pitbulls since I was 9, I am 30 years old now,
Pitbulls aren't for everyone, they are high strung hyper dogs with strong fighting instincts, (depending on how it was bred) there are some that are missing that instinct ( which I would never own ) but they are also beautiful, smart strong and loyal dogs. All dogs or any animal for that matter is capable of biting someone, I have been bit by several breeds of dogs from toy sized dogs all the way to very large dogs, even been bit and scratched by ferrets, fish cats and birds.

The problem is not the dog, but the owners, If you teach the dog to fight and be mean then that is what he is going to do, If you make the dog playful then that is what he going to be. If you take any dog and stick it on a chain and never train it, It will be a stupid dog, that as soon as it gets off of the leash it runs wild. If the dog has never been socialized how do you expect it to know how to act around people.

My male and female pitbull or just as big and bigger than my kids, and I have no problem or fear leaving either one around my baby unattended, but I wouldn't leave my female dog unattended around another dog, because I know she don't get along well with other dogs she don't know, However I will leave my Male dog around other dogs because I know his personality is laid back, and he is not really that interested in other dogs,

The reason I know this because I am a responsible owner, who knows both of his dogs personalities very well, and have taken the time to train them.

Most people who want bands on pitbulls are owners of mixed breed mutts, or owner of toy breed dogs, which can't protect the family from anything.
 smith2267
Msg: 398
Posted: 9/6/2006 2:04:57 PM
Ashley, what you describe is highly unusual behavior for a pit. About the only breed of dog I know that will treat any territory as his own, is the Chow.
Are you certain the charge is aggressive? You say he cannot be told "down". This implies to me that he has caught up with you or your bf and jumped on you. Since you are still around to tell about it, I am guessing that this might be an overly friendly, poorly trained dog who has no intention of harming you. Correct me if I am wrong, I'm just speculating here.

Any dog can be a danger to cats if not properly trained. Conversely, any dog can be taught to leave cats alone. My dog knows the command "Leave the kitty alone".

PS, if his owners let him run loose, call animal control before you take the law into your own hands. That is what they are for.
 smith2267
Msg: 400
Posted: 9/6/2006 4:32:56 PM
Ok--I'm assuming you know dogs.
Baring teeth can be either aggressive or submissive (Yeah, dogs are hard for the novice to read. Kind of like women).
If you know dogs, you know the difference. An aggresive snarl involves raising the upper lip; a submissive grin involves baring the upper and lower teeth. And the fact that he was advancing on you doesn't fit with submissive.

Just remember--don't judge all members of a purebreed by a mongrel who has an ancestor in common with them.

(On a related note, tail wagging is not always friendly. A waved tail held high is a dominance challenge.)

If you are interested in protecting yourself with sub-lethal force, mace is very effective against dogs. In fact, it works better on dogs than it does on humans.
 lolLori
Msg: 401
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2006 8:34:42 PM
I love all dogs and they love me but I can easily get scared by dogs but They still love me I was on a Jenny Craig diet and often went out walking all times this was very early in the morning I live where the roads were more gravell than pavement. Not Noticing for how long i was walking towards this Pit Bull pretty big was very strange he started to cross towards me and Im freakin in my head saying keep away I still kept walking and the Pitt Bull went back to his side of the road and ignored me. I was taking my daughter in her stroller at around 10 months of age I didnt no much about breeds Id seen Pitt Bulls before an never made that connection with that much notice these adorable little puppies were up on the side of my daughters stoller She loved them they were happy dogs. Someone then came to me and said so much for fear of Pit bulls. Late at night, I was followed often by a med.sized black lab he was following me everywhere I said in a bold voice get lost and the look on that poor dogs face and the pouting noise I felt like the mean one I was playing cuddling and babying a tiny Pit bull so darling pure black and was told he will never get mean if you treat him like that. I do personnally know a pitt bull that attacked a small child She has had proper surgery I cant remember How many hundreds of stitchs, She still likes dogs but Im sure shes afraid of them I was bit and got a few stitchs when I w2as tiny.. It was a pretty nice farm dog when I was small and I falsly understood they put him down I felt guilty most my life and the someone told me they had kept that dog for years.
 patrol sgt
Msg: 404
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 8/5/2007 4:41:58 PM
dont ban the dogs...i had a pit once after college....his name was goom...he was the goofiest thing ud ever want to see..not a mean bone in his body...poster dog for mans best friend...i think if ur gonna own a pit..or any dog for that matter...be responsible....if ur not goin to treat a dog or train a dog to be gentle...dont have one! y blame and punish the dogs for the cruelty ppl have within themselves? and every pit ive encountered in my life thats been treated well has been nuthin more than an oversized lap dog who would rather cuddle up with u than gnaw on ya. ban the dumb ppl...leave the dogs alone
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >