Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dwayne88
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?Page 11 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Dwayne, jeez. Fedor is good, yes. *One of* the very best surely. But THE best? Come on. Miguel Torres has a better record than Fedor does.

He is the best.

Torres is amazing, but how is he better than Fedor?

Has he fought more fights? Yes. But that doesn't make him better.

And speaking of records. He has only fought a few more fights, and he's actually lost one. Fedor's was via cut, as you know.

It also seems to be a general thought among many fighters that Fedor is the best.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?
Posted: 4/17/2009 11:47:19 PM
The only guy that has really gave Fedor a good fight was Nogueira. Now of course this was when Nogueira was in his prime. But I will have to agree until Fedor can be stopped he is one of the best if not the best MMA fighter in the world right now. When you win the vast majority of your fights in the first round against some of the top MMA fighters in the world like he has done, that speaks volumes. Right now Fedor is almost in a whole other league to himself. Will he slow down and be beaten? Yeah sooner or later, his age and the toll of fighting in MMA all of these years on his body will catch up to him just like it does everyone else, but I don't see anyone beaten him anytime in the near future. Right now Fedor is to MMA what Marciano was to boxing.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 253
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 3:50:26 AM
Dwayne - in regards to Torres' only loss:

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/03/29/miguel-torres-remembers-his-only-loss-to-ryan-ackerman/

"Michael David Smith: So how did Ryan Ackerman, a guy with a 12-8-1 record, beat you?

Miguel Torres: I was coming off ACL surgery. I hadn't fought in more than a year. I came in and fought him, thinking I was going to fight another guy at 132 pounds, but the weekend of the fight, he broke his hand, and they couldn't find anyone else to fight me, so they finally found Ryan Ackerman, who fought at 145. I walked in weighing 132. In the first round I had him in a guillotine and a triangle, but he got out, and when I got up my legs were gone. I felt like I was walking on ice. I went to my corner and I was like, "I have nothing left." I went out there and fought for two more rounds and tried to put him away with submissions and strikes, but I just couldn't do it and I lost a decision."

And just for laughs........

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/04/05/what-if-miguel-torres-and-fedor-emelianenko-were-the-same-weight/

IN YOUR FACE, MAN! LOL

dwayne88
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 5:29:16 AM
I already knew that. But.......Fedor only lost via cut.

And the what is scenario means nothing. They will never fight.

Gotta love how Brown and Faber both said Fedor is the best P4P fighter.

Diego Sanchez said it infront of Dana. GSP refers to Fedor as it too.

And Fedor also doesn't have the great reach and height advantage against his opponants that Torres does.
 jdeezero08
Msg: 255
Posted: 4/18/2009 8:32:17 AM
I like Anderson much more than Fedor but comeon...Fedor is clearly the best ever..
Hell, he could easily fight at 205 but doesn't need to.
No one has got out of the first round with him in over 2 years now.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 11:14:01 AM
Wonder why Anderson came in at 182. That's a low weight, so you have to wonder if he's overtrained, sick, or something. He usually comes in right at 185 when he's fighting at MW. This is going to be a very interesting fight, and while Anderson has to be favored, I wouldn't be completely surprised if there were an upset. We'll see.

Gotta laugh at Wand's shít-talking, too. He hasn't even had a fight in the division yet, and he's already calling out A. Silva. Classic.
 Jashaa
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 12:20:14 PM
Glassjaw, just put on your tapout shirt and gtfo this thread.

Thanks.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 4:52:50 PM

I already knew that. But.......Fedor only lost via cut.

So? A loss is a loss, bro. Again, I'm not disputing that Fedor is awesome. I just don't see where he is any more awesome than Torres. Or Silva. Or GSP. Etc.

And the what is scenario means nothing. They will never fight.

Mmmmm.......yes, I know. It was a joke. Earthlings occasionally use a form of communication called "humor". You may wish to study it, to make your eventual conquest easier on them.

JMars
Msg: 259
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:38:44 PM
Jeez guys, you make fighting sound like religion.

Fedor is the best heavyweight. Why, becauser at heavy weight he is all but undefeated.

Silva is the best at Middle weight. Why, because likewise, he domioantes his division.

Likewsie GSP. Likewise, BJ Penn.

Who is the best out of all of THEM? Well, how did we find out who was best in each division? They FOUGHT IT OUT. Cause its FIGHTING, not ****ING.

If I need something to bitch about I just got it tonight .... Chuck Liddell, 3rd knock out and 4th loss in last 5 fights. There is something to BITCH about.

As for best pvp discussions; blah, blah, blah, blah <---- the long and the short of everyone's opinion on the matter.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 10:25:59 PM
I think it's time for Chuck to retire. This loss tonight just shows he is really getting past his prime in MMA. Not taking anything away from Rua, but this isn't the same Chuck just 3 years ago. He has now lost 4 out of his last 5 fights now.

Silva won again, but of course there are going to be people now saying he too is slipping because he hasn't been able to finish fighters recently without it going to decision or some crap. A win is a win in my book and he did face a very good opponent tonight. I sure didn't think this fight was going to only 1 round.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 11:15:14 PM
Anderson won; but that was the worst title fight in MMA history, bar none. That was garbage.

Leites gets most of the blame for constantly pulling guard instead of going for takedowns or striking. However, Anderson has to get some of the blame for not taking a few more risks in order to finish the fight. That's the difference between fighters like Fedor and GSP and fighters like A. Silva. They always go for the gusto and take risks. Anderson is a little more conservative sometimes.

As good as Anderson is, he has those moments when he gets complacent (like in the Cote fight), or too cautious (like the Leites fight). Being unwilling to unleash vicious GNP on an opponent who is flopping is a major detraction.

Felt bad for Chuck (he's from my hometown here); but there was no question that he was going to lose that fight. Shogun is lethal, and the sloppy Coleman fight doesn't change that. Chuck has had a great career, and needs to shut it down for good now.
 jdeezero08
Msg: 262
Posted: 4/19/2009 7:36:40 AM
I disagree Leites gets most the blame, he fought a smart fight vs Anderson with his skill set. Kind of hard to blame Anderson too because obviously he comes in with a game plan and doesn't get thrown off the game plan no matter what. I'm sure most other fighters would have got flustered and jumped into Leites guard.
I think at some point they are just going to have to change the rules or add yellow cards like Pride because only counter striking like Machida or Anderson seems like the smartest way to fight. If everyone starts to do this though things are going to get real real boring.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2009 9:00:29 AM
UFC 97 Vids while they last:

http://www.mmatko.com/

http://www.mmalinker.com/

Silva's fight was a snore-fest. Leites will be lucky if he ever fights in the UFC again.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:41:20 AM
Well, Maia knows (if he gets the next shot), that he's going to have to have some effective wrestling to get the fight to the ground and keep it there. Pulling guard won't work at all.

I don't even want to see the Maia fight anytime soon. Might as well have Anderson fight GSP next, because that won't be a boring fight. That is gonna be a great fight!
 MikeB1982
Msg: 265
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:58:41 AM
i seriously doubt maia or okami are going to be next in line for silva.

i think silva has become bored with the competition. hopefully this is a lesson learned for the UFC. silva againt floppers dont make for exciting fights. this match up was a slap in the face to anderson as is okami and maia.

silva should finish up his remaining fights at 205 against the top dogs of the division.

seriously, who wouldnt want to see silva fight rampage, forrest, rashad, etc...?
 MikeB1982
Msg: 266
Posted: 4/19/2009 1:40:54 PM
okami was getting lit up by anderson in the first fight before the DQ happened. he cant even get by franklin, a guy silva destroyed twice.

the entire UFC MW roster is a slap in the face to silva. anderson has a legit shot at cleaning out the 205 division if he moved up and stayed. okami, i dont think so?

the competition is a joke and its no wonder silva is looking for challenges outside of the UFC and outside the sport of MMA like roy jones jr. the guys he is fighting cant even carry his jock.
 dwayne88
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2009 2:08:06 PM
Okami really didn't get going untill the 3rd against Franklin. And once he did, it was too late.

Siva isn't as great as you think he is.

I don't see him beating Rashad.

If Forrest kept his distance, and took him down. I don't see Silva beating him either.

He would never fight Machida.

Rampage might be too strong.

Anderson isn't this world beater some think he is.

Hell I thought he was.....but now, i'm not buying it.

Roy Jones would rape him in boxing.
 MikeB1982
Msg: 268
Posted: 4/19/2009 3:10:14 PM
i agree about the roy jones jr thing but the others? not so much

roy's worst sparring partner would probably KO silva within a round or two in a boxing match.
 dwayne88
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2009 3:51:26 PM
So you think he would clean out the LHW division?

That's a hole different world when it comes to size and strength.

Anderson just couldn't dominate like he does there....................................
 MikeB1982
Msg: 270
Posted: 4/19/2009 5:11:05 PM
smiley faces dont help your arguement

silva is taller and bigger then most light heavyweights. Irvin, who used to fight at heavyweight and was a huge light heavyweight was dwarfed by silva in their fight. silva is a huge guy. he would have the size and strength advantage against most light heavies, add that with his superior skills and speed, he cleans the division with relative ease. the only guy naturally bigger then silva is forrest who cuts from 240+ pounds.
 dwayne88
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2009 5:24:41 PM
Irvin is a can. There isn't anything else to be said about him.

I know that Silva cuts quite a bit.

Rampage is bigger than him physically.

He's shorter, but his is a larger man.

And where are these superior skills?

If Rashad took him down, how would he get up?

Evans is very quick. agile, and is improving every single fight.

Are you one of these people who thinks he could go to heavy and beat Fedor?
 MikeB1982
Msg: 272
Posted: 4/19/2009 5:34:44 PM
if you dont think silva's striking is superior to anyone in the light heavyweight division (exception is maybe machida) then your just a hater, plain and simple. silva is the most graceful striker to ever compete in MMA add that with his KO power, his speed, and his technically diverse strikes makes him the best.

rashad was losing against chuck before the KO, losing to forrest before the KO, silva would dance circles around him and pick him apart with relative ease. his foot work and his HUGE reach advantage against rashad (who is a small light heavy) would be too much.

no one said anything about fedor. get real son and stop hating.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2009 6:18:10 PM
Mike, I'm going to have to agree with Dwayne here. Silva would face stiff competition in the LHW division. Evans is not to be taken lightly, and there are quality up-and-comers like "Bones" Jones and Luiz Cane. No guarantees for Silva there.
 dman82
Msg: 274
Posted: 4/19/2009 8:57:36 PM
Gsp is the best fighter pound for pound, no questions asked!
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 275
Posted: 4/19/2009 8:59:30 PM
The fight with Leites was embarrasing.Anderson took zero risks,at all.Leites was offering him nothing on the feet and after the second round,nothing on the ground,and still Silva never went for the kill.Silva could have grounded and pounded Leites with ease in the fourth and fifth round when he just laid there in the fetal position.Instead Anderson stood there and punched him in the leg,then walked away.This is NOT the same Anderson Silva that went right after Rich Franklin in both fights,or got in a straight up brawl at one point with Dan Henderson.Franklin and Henderson both are considerably more dangerous than Leites,yet Silva basicaly refused to engage Leites beyond destroying his lead leg.

As for Anderson at 205-the guys that are going to give Anderson a problem,at any weight class,are the ones who can put him on his back and keep him there.He's going to run into a lot more of them at 205 than at 185.Rashad Evans would just take him down and ground and pound the living hell out of him.Someone like Rampage Jackson might oblige Anderson and stand and bang with him for awhile,but as soon as he got in hot water,Rampage would take Silva down,put him against the fence and start feeding him elbows.

In reality,the guy that's going to give Anderson the biggest test right now is Demian Maia.He has the takedown skills to get Silva down to the matt with relative ease.Once there,it won't be anything like the fights with Lutter or Leites-it will be a matter of seconds before Silva is in deep,deep trouble.

WB.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?