Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CChauncey
Msg: 323
view profile
History
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?Page 14 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
I would argue that Bruce Lee is the ideological forefather of MMA, and if you look at its definition, Jeet Kune Do is nearly indistinguishable from MMA. At this point, he's been mythologized so thoroughly you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but lots of guys say Bruce could bench 300 pounds and could punch with the power of a heavyweight. The guy was very very strong. Even if you doubt the 300 pound bench press (and I don't... I knew rowers in high school who were about Bruce Lee's weight who could bench about 250, so I figure a freak like Bruce could get another 50 pounds on the bar...) you can watch videos of him doing one handed push ups with two fingers and know he would probably be the strongest guy by far in his weight division.

If he were alive, I think he would be an MMA champion. Not because he died possessing the skills necessary to be a champion, but if he had the chance to watch MMA, he would be so delighted. He would have ate it up. Even back then, he knew that wrestling and submissions were important. Also, boxing and leg kicks. Teach a guy like Bruce, with his strength and Wing Chun trapping skills, teach him how to throw Thai elbows, and he would be lethal in the clinch. And he was a fast learner, incredibly coordinated, and he would have the fastest hand speed in MMA. He would have some learning to do, spend some time in the ring, get up to speed, learn to put it all together... but little doubt in my mind that in his weight class, he would be world class, if not the best.

But that's as far as it goes. He wouldn't be the baddest man alive. He would get beat by heavier dudes, it's just physics at that point, and a guy like Fedor? Murder.
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 324
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?
Posted: 5/28/2009 8:34:44 AM
"I think he would be an MMA champion"...regarding Bruce Lee...

I am not sure CChauncey. But you make alot of good points. And he might be able to take out bigger dudes as well, his side kicks and his mobility would be an advantage. He had a wicked side kick. I remember the first time I fought a smaller, faster opponent with strong side kicks. I couldnt get to him, there was 3 feet of pain between us all the time. Of course, yer thinking, smaller guy, I can take him with power, uh uh.

But CChauncey, one thing I wonder. Would he see MMA as too much of a "sport"? From the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, he writes that our primary target is the eyes, followed by the groin followed by knees. Bruce wasnt interested in sports, he was interested in what really worked. Wouldnt turning it into a competition go against Jeet Kune Do? In fact, the way for Lee to beat Lesnar in real life would have been fast eye strikes, followed by groin and lateral knee attacks.

Silva is amazing, btw. A great striker. I think his last few fights he decided not to get injured or injure anyone else. He knows he can beat anyone in his class and hes sparing them injury by just playing counter attacker. If he neutralizes their game, which he does, he "fights without fighting". Which is exactly what Lee implored us to do. Win smart.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 325
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:01:57 AM

Marquardt would destroy Lawler. Belfort was very uneven when he was in the UFC, so it's not a given that he could walk in and take over, IMHO.

No. Marquardt wouldn't KO Lawler. It's not likely he would submit Lawler. How would he win that fight? Lawler has finished everyone he's fought in the last 4 years, with one exception, and they were some solid guys.

As for Belfort, he has sometimes been inconsistent in his career; but has always been able to hang with the best, going to decisions against a prime Chuck Liddell, a prime Tito (very close fight); and a Hendo at the top of his game. He destroyed Lindland, who was still considered a top 10 fighter at the time.

Both Lawler and Belfort have beaten fighters who are as tough or tougher than Marquardt.

...and you gotta be insane to get rid of Marquardt....

It would be great if someone could tell us what Marquardt has ever done which warrants thinking he's a top force. Does anyone really want to see Marquardt rematch Anderson? Does anyone see him beating Maia? Okami? He caught Kampmann, but that was kind of flukey. A late-round TKO over Gouveia doesn't make Marquardt a top 3 guy. What has Marquardt done which warrants that much interest? Anderson destroyed him. A rematch between them would end the same way. Hendo and Lutter did better against Silva than Marquardt did---give one of them a rematch first if we're wanting rematches now. Hell, even Franklin (in the title rematch with Silva) did better than Marquardt. Leites lasted longer. Cote lasted longer.

Let's get some new blood into the MW division. Trigg just got signed; but he's probably going back to WW. The division needs guys like Belfort, Lawler and Mousasi.
 dwayne88
Msg: 326
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:58:29 AM
When has Lawler beaten anyone good? I mean...really?

Nate would walk over him most likely.

The guy got finished by Jason Miller.

Lawler would be a decent gatekeeper. But that's about it.
 dwayne88
Msg: 327
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2009 12:15:25 PM
How bout that Robbie Lawler? He suuuure did good last night.

Totally proved he's a top guy by schooling that WW Jake Shields..............................

*Sarcasm*.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 328
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2009 1:17:44 PM
LOL. I wasn't going to say anything........................
 spitfire6844
Msg: 329
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2009 8:30:04 AM

How bout that Robbie Lawler? He suuuure did good last night.

I'm here trying to hype the dude into the UFC, and here he goes and falls into a basic guill. choke. Oh well.....I'm going to talk about other "new blood" now. Lawler will have to stay with Strikeforce for a while longer.
 Firefly303
Msg: 330
Posted: 6/9/2009 7:06:09 AM
Kimbo Slice could easily be the best street fighter out there, but he's not a grappler so much. But he's hardcore. Funny as hell too- check out his youtube videos- especially the football one. They offer 100$ to some random dudes if they let Kimbo tackle them. Hilarity ensues...
 spitfire6844
Msg: 331
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 7:24:40 AM
I was impressed that Kimbo still wanted to be on TUF after all the crap Dana said about him. That showed a little humility. That being said, it's evident that Kimbo Slice is not the next big thing. He may make it to the finals of the show; but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. He won't be a top P4P fighter in the future.

Back to Anderson.....I hope he gets to fight Wand someday. I don't know how it would happen, because Wand would need a whole bunch of fights to work his way up; but Silva vs. Silva would be a great fight. Guaranteed knockout.
 Mayor_McCheese
Msg: 332
Posted: 6/10/2009 5:17:28 PM
Why would Wanderlei need a "whole bunch of fights to work his way up" to fight Anderson?

The UFC gave Brock Lesnar the title after 3 pro fights.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 333
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 8:19:03 AM

Why would Wanderlei need a "whole bunch of fights to work his way up" to fight Anderson?

Because Wand is 1 - 5 in his last six fights. He should need to beat at least 3 competitive MWs in order to get his shot but because hype sells fights, Wand will probably get his shot after only 1 or 2 wins. It's not what should happen, but that's probably what will go down.

If he fights Anderson, Wand will get destroyed. That's what's gonna happen. Wand is great, but he has nothing at all to offer Anderson-----in reach, striking, wrestling, JJ, stamina, chin, etc. Wand comes up short in every aspect of fighting you can think of.

Being a fan of Wand, I don't want to see him fight Anderson just to get KTFO in a non-competitive fight.
 matt3338
Msg: 334
Posted: 7/21/2009 10:36:35 AM
hell yea, Fedor is hands down the best. Anderson is good but he got his title shot after beating Leben LOL
 kenpoboy
Msg: 335
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 1:24:51 PM

Fedor is hands down the best

chadcuba
Msg: 336
Posted: 7/21/2009 5:30:12 PM
MACHIDA, FEDOR, GSP
 TinaTLuvsUFC
Msg: 337
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 3:31:55 AM
Fedor = God in mma.... no doubt....
Anderson is my number 2 pick.. I hope he gets some competition soon.. so you guys can see what he can really do..
 JMars
Msg: 338
Posted: 8/12/2009 7:18:11 AM

Anderson is good but he got his title shot after beating Leben LOL

Anderson didn't just beat Leben. He knocked Leben out COLD. And you could take a freakin baseball bat to that guys head and he'd coming at you. That KO was IMPRESSIVE.

But really, it's not even so much what earned him the title shot. Or the fact that he successfully claimed the belt thereafter. Rather, it's that he has defended it against the best middle weights in the world, and taken on a couple of light heavies to boot, and he has made it ALL look embarrassingly easy.

And when it gets right down to it, there (was) way more depth to the middle weight division than the heavy weight division could ever hope for, so Fedor being the best amongst them is, well, really not that spectacular.

Of course, talk is talk. Answers are found in the ring ... or cage as the case might be.
 chadcuba
Msg: 339
Posted: 8/12/2009 8:01:39 AM
Anderson should have always been fighting at 205. The dude walks around at 220!!!!! He and Machida are the two best fighters in the world and although they are really good friends, they need to fight. Machida would be more willing to fight because he cares more about being the best in the world.
 TinaTLuvsUFC
Msg: 340
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 11:54:27 AM
I been asking for the machida vs Anderson fight for a year now.. I dont see how they could avoid it forever...
Ya I trained at AMC where Leben trained for a while.. that fight messed him up mentally.. I mean when you think your the best.. and someone just destroys you.. it messes with your head.. he hasnt been the same since.. I got love for Leben cause he WAS home team... but then again I like Monson too... It makes it more personal when you know them..
 CChauncey
Msg: 341
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 4:28:18 PM

Anderson should have always been fighting at 205. The dude walks around at 220!!!!!
Fighters cut weight for fights. He's not unusual at all. The new trend is fighters losing a TON of water weight in the last few days, and coming into the fight 20 pounds heavier than the day before. If they just had the weigh in an hour before the fight, you would see some radical shifts in divisional rankings and the weight classes that fighters compete in.
 TinaTLuvsUFC
Msg: 342
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 7:18:42 PM
I thought he walked around at 205.. I could be wrong..
 chadcuba
Msg: 343
Posted: 8/12/2009 8:24:58 PM
Nah, he definitely walks around at 220. He has even said so several times.
 ffryan
Msg: 344
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 12:06:56 AM
Anderson may claim to walk around at 220 but I don't buy that for a second.

At UFC 77 Anderson fought Rich Franklin. At the weigh-ins they both came in at 184. Anderson looked bigger than Rich. Yet the day after when they fought, Rich was considerably larger than Anderson. Rich has always said that he walks around at 210-215. Rich was shredded at the weigh-ins, Anderson was not. He put a lot of water weight back on before the fight, Anderson didn't. Anderson didn't look all that lighter at the weigh-ins than he did for the fight. At UFC 82 & 90 he had very similar looks at both the weigh-ins and at the fight. When he fought Dan Henderson, he looked considerably smaller. Interesting because Henderson has always been about 205 or so. In fact he petitioned Danada White to stay at LHW because he didn't want to cut weight anymore. I can't accept that Anderson cuts 35lbs of water for a fight. Not to mention about what that would do to a fighter physically to have to drop that kind of weight. I've found cutting even 10-15lbs can be draining. Anderson is cutting more than double that and competing at a much higher level. I walk around at 225 so I know how big somebody is at that bodyweight when they are in shape. I know what I look like when I cut 20lbs to get to 205 and I don't see that with Anderson.

To put this in perspective Chuck Liddell claims to walk around at 220. He's the same height as Anderson but there is no question that Chuck is much more massive. Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture have both made claims to walk around at 220-225 when competing at LHW, and they are the same height as Anderson. Again, these are guys who are far more massive than Anderson is.

Anderson wouldn't be the first professional athlete to fictionalize his stats. When I was playing high school football I was 5'11, 185lbs... but my stat sheet read 6'1, 205lbs. I don't buy Anderson walks around at 220... I don't buy that Forrest Griffen walks around at 240. As a guy who has cut weight many many times there are a number of other reasons why I just don't buy it.
 BIGROB67
Msg: 345
Posted: 8/13/2009 12:15:03 AM
To the dude that said Lesner is the best, he's really not. There are several people in the heavy weight division who I think could beat Lesner easy. They include Mirko Cro Cop, Cheick Kongo, Kane Valasquez, and maybe Tim Silvia. Lesner is riding on pure athleticism and luck. I bet his next title defense is gonna be against some nobody, cause Lesner is Dana White's cash cow at the moment. If Lesner were to fight any of the guys I mentioned above he'd probably lose. Anderson Silva IS the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He make seasoned veterans look like rookies, and makes it look easy. He's cleared out the middle wight division and now I bet he'll stay at 205.
 dwayne88
Msg: 346
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 5:34:29 AM
Someome mentioned weight.

Couture has said that he saw Forrest step on a scale, and said it read 240. So he walks around at 240 when he isn't training.

Anderson walks around at 220, which is when he isn't training. So he loses fat during training.

Anderson has said that he likes to get fat when he isn't training.

So those weights are correct.

Thet aren't cutting water weight from there.
 chadcuba
Msg: 347
Posted: 8/13/2009 7:15:50 AM
Bigrob you are crazy dude!!! Lesnar would absolutely destroy, and will, everyone in the HW division that's in the UFC. Kongo could beat Lesnar?? LOL LOL LOL Kongo flat out SUCKS and Lesnar would toss him around like he was less than a piece of paper.
The only HW out there that could beat Lesnar is Fedor. And your claim that Anderson Silva is the best in the world is not valid because Machida could take him. He whoops his ass in sparring and Anderson even says so.

And for the bozo who says Anderson doesn't walk around at 220 and that Liddell is much more massive than him???? ROXLMMFAO@YOU!!!!!!!!!! Lay off the crack dude!!!! Anderson looked just as big as FG in 101 and FG is supposedly the biggest LHW out there.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?