Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dwayne88
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?Page 4 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
He won't do it yet. But soon Chuck isn't gonna be useful in the title sense. Atleast not at LHW. And that is when people like Silva come into play.

If Liddel does get the belt. He won't have it long.

But then again. I think Chuck should move up to heavy.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 77
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?
Posted: 7/22/2008 10:42:03 AM
Chuck moving up to HW is probably the natural step. So he can be like Randy and fight closer to what they walk around. Randy said part of what revitalized him in the sport was not having to spend half his training working on dieting so he could cut the last week or two. That's also why he looked so quick against Sylvia(though I'm sure a cripple would look quick against Sylvia)
 dwayne88
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2008 10:57:26 AM
I think he is perfect for that division right now. It is so thin, he could get the shot rather quickly.

And I personally think Nog is a perfect matchup for him.
 MaxToledo
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/22/2008 1:31:18 PM

man Dana white is a marketing Genius if he wasn't he would not hve been able to take the UFC from something that was losing money and turn it into what it is today and so you don't think he looks at that fight (or potenial fight) and says "you know what people would want to see that, the two best fighters in the UFC go one on one" you don't think people would want to see that? you don't think that would draw money? man I gurantee that fight happens it is to big of a cash cow not to happen AT LEAST once

Exactly...you said it yourself. Dana is a marketing genius. That's why this fight won't happen.

They're hyping both GSP and Silva to be these unstoppable machines...in a fight, one of them would HAVE to lose, thus proving one of them fallible.

As far as people wanting to see it, me included, hell yes I want to see it. Just not going to happen while they're on top of their respective divisions. There's been fights for years that would be huge moneymakers, that the fans want to see that the UFC hasn't put together for whatever reason. That'd be nothing new.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/22/2008 1:35:18 PM
Well, White's going to have to do something since his HW division has nothing. Look at the guy who he's about to have coach the next TUF. A guy who was getting blasted by Brock Lesnar in his second MMA fight ever, who got lucky and caught a leg.
 MaxToledo
Msg: 81
Posted: 7/22/2008 1:46:01 PM
Yeah....I don't think Mir deserves to be coaching, either...but look at the alternatives...

Hmmm...Werdum. That would make for RIVETING television. Nog who speaks decent english, and Werdum who speaks none. Mir really was the only logical choice.

As far as their HW division, they are starting to add some depth back. Lesnar, Cain Velasquez, and Shane Carwin all have a huge upside in the future. I know 3 guys isn't much, but it's better than the nothing they had after most of their big men decided to make a mass exodus to Affliction.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 82
Posted: 7/22/2008 1:52:26 PM
Whoever wins the Lesnar/Herring fight will have a title match by mid-09 IMO.
 dwayne88
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2008 2:00:09 PM

Whoever wins the Lesnar/Herring fight will have a title match by mid-09 IMO.

That's too quick for Lesnar. Espically if the champ is Nog.

If it's Mir. I think the second time around, he could beat him.

Mir was on the brink of being TKO'ed there first time. I see nothing different the next time.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 84
Posted: 7/22/2008 2:48:48 PM
So long as Lesnar isn't dumb enough to just stand there and let a BJJ guy grab his leg. He was having his way with Mir till then though.

Also, about best P4P, can I submit the worst high-profile guy P4P. Brandon The zzzzzzz Vera. They should just make him keep dropping weight classes till he can put on an interesting fight.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 85
Posted: 7/22/2008 10:33:19 PM
Does Cote have a legit shot? NO WAY.

Does a puncher always have that outside chance of the flash knockout? Yup. Wrestlers can win a round from Anderson, but he'll wear 99% of dudes out in a five round fight.
 MaxToledo
Msg: 86
Posted: 7/22/2008 11:21:38 PM

Back to Anderson: I'm torqued off about this Anderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote fight which is coming up. WTF!!! Cote is going to stand and bang with him, and get cut down real quick. We need to see someone who can challenge Anderson and beat him on the ground. Even though Thales Leites didn't have that great a fight against Marquardt, Leites should be the next guy to fight Anderson. Hendo and Lutter had some initial success with Anderson on the ground, but it wasn't enough. We need to see if someone else can give Anderson a great fight on the ground.

Cote is not that fighter.

While I do agree with you that Cote's going to get wrecked, you gotta realize that the UFC can't just give title shots to the people that they thing can give Anderson the biggest challenge. They've got to work their way up like everyone else. Thales Leites has not done anything to deserve a shot.

There's one guy coming up who I think would give Anderson fits on the ground, and that's Rousimar Palhares. He looked great in his UFC debut against Ivan Salaverry and has a fight against Dan Henderson coming up. Time will tell with this kid, but he looks very strong to get Anderson down, and has some of the best jits in the division.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/22/2008 11:23:34 PM
The Barnett fight is the only time out of his three reigns as UFC HW champion that he actually lost the belt in the ring.
 MaxToledo
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/23/2008 1:06:22 PM

He's done enough. Leites is 4 - 1 in the UFC with 2 stoppages. Cote is 5 - 4 in the UFC. The difference between the two is that we know Cote has nothing for Anderson, whereas Leites has the type of BJJ which can possibly stop The Spider. Beating a lesser striker, at this point, does nothing for Anderson. Beating a BJJ World Champion on the ground would increase Anderson's stock even more than he's valued now.

He has a good record, yes, but his last win was a controversial split decision that he SHOULD have lost, even though Marquardt had 2 points deducted during the fight. He's lacking the quality win that would put him towards the top of the division.

Cote has beat much higher caliber of fighters than Thales has, which gives him the nod for the title shit, but yes, I agree, it's kind of a pointless match. Cote has nothing to offer Anderson anywhere this fight goes, and only has a puncher's chance.
 ONE2ENV
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2008 7:14:06 PM
go on ufc.com Couture is still listed as the HW champion.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/23/2008 8:22:13 PM
Randy could give Big Nog problems, but would probably lose. Really, if it wasn't for that headbutt that ruined Gonzaga, Randy was having problems in that fight.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/24/2008 11:01:33 AM
Call me crazy, but before the Sonnen fight and Anderson having his last 3 fights or so, I thought Filho was better than Anderson.

I don't know who's better, but I think a focus Filho catches Anderson in something.

Any idea when Filho's finishing up all his rehab stuff? I'm guessing he's been out, it's been 4 months.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/26/2008 5:40:41 PM
Random Anderson sighting on elite xc, cornering a guy that him and big nog train.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/26/2008 7:16:28 PM
Nick Diaz is the biggest bro douche bag in this sport, and that's really tough.
 trekker013
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/26/2008 7:57:51 PM
Gotta go with Fedor as the best p4p. He's dominated for a long time. He has a very well-rounded game - no weaknesses - stand-up or on the ground. To those saying he hasn't fought anyone lately; it's not his fault a lot of would-be natural heavyweights cut 20 or 30 lbs. to fight at 205. If they would fight as heavyweights Fedor would be dominating them too. I mean come on, Tim Sylvia may not be the best in the world but Fedor taking him out in 30 seconds......that's pretty damn good.

I'd have to put Uriah Faber at #2. Here's a guy that does not cut weight to fight as a featherweight and he's dominated at his weight, even against guys that cut weight to fight at featherweight. Yeah I know Jens Pulver went 5 rounds with him but he never threatened Faber in the least, and Pulver came down in weight to fight him.

I'd definitely say that Andersen Silva is in the top echelon but I want to see him run off some more wins against the top contenders before I put him up there at the top.
 MaxToledo
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/27/2008 12:15:40 PM
I agree, spitfire....they've gotta have PPV buys, and to do that, they have to make Cote look like a legitimate opponent. I can't wait to hear how many times between now and the fight Joe Rogan or Dana White mentions how good Cote's punching power is and how he is a REAL threat to KO Anderson. They'll bring up his TKO wins over Kendall Grove and KNOWN knockout artist Drew McFedries..

Damn, I'm almost starting to get hyped up for this fight myself. Maybe I should ask the UFC for a job...

In reality, Anderson is going to walk through Cote, but they'll milk this fight for all it's worth to sell the pay-per-views.

But I will be there, because Chicago is close, and I do want a chance to see Anderson fight live....just hope the rest of the card looks competitive.
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/27/2008 12:24:57 PM
You're lucky to see Anderson fight. UFC 78 came to Jersey, but the card was pretty brutal. There were a couple real good fights, but honestly the prelim card was better than the main.
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/28/2008 4:11:32 PM
No need to Pay for the Silva/Cote fight.....it will be over so quick that all that TSN or ESPN will show the fight in it's entirety the next day....and I agree, Silva beating Cote will do nothing for his status....

But who is going to make a GOOD and EQUAL opponet for Silva in either the
185 or 205 weight class's???
 unoriginal alter ego
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/28/2008 4:29:41 PM
At 185 Filho's probably the best chance. 205 there are probably a few guys.
 sesquipadalian
Msg: 99
Posted: 7/29/2008 7:34:07 PM
I am going to have to put Fedor at the number one spot after his recent win over Sylvia. As awkward and uncoordinated as he might appear, Sylvia is still a top fighter. He has defeated Arlovski two times, Vera once, and he was winning the fight with Nog until he got submitted.

Don't get me wrong though, Anderson is definitely the 2nd best "pound for pound" in the world in my opinion. He has the potential to be the best if he keeps defeating top competition in convincing fashion.
 Damien666322
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2008 4:17:50 PM
Anderson is the best P4P fighter in the world, let Fedor fight Arlovski and Barnett before we re-inster him as top dog.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?