Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wannashakeyourtree
Msg: 126
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?Page 6 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
I think it's tought nowadays to label one guy the best P4P. Anderson certainly deserves a shot at that title...as does GSP...and a litany of lightweight, featherweight and bantamweight fighters.

All I know is that it's good to be a fan of the sport today.
 cajun_buddha
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?
Posted: 9/24/2008 12:05:15 PM

I think it's tought nowadays to label one guy the best P4P. Anderson certainly deserves a shot at that title...as does GSP...and a litany of lightweight, featherweight and bantamweight fighters.

All I know is that it's good to be a fan of the sport today.

Good point. Guys like BJ, Faber, Kid, and Torres are also amongst the best in the world. I know I rave about Fedor, but overall I think HWs are vastly overrated. There is far more talent in the lower weight classes.
 dwayne88
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2008 2:59:27 PM

Anderson is the best pound for pound fighter in the world deadly legs the guy has wow

Fedor is the best MMA fighter on this planet.

And you could go a few rounds with Brock? He would kill you. Then after he got done with you, he could take out Kimbo in less than a minute.

And he could do it without breaking a sweat.
 wannashakeyourtree
Msg: 129
Posted: 9/25/2008 9:39:50 AM
Torres is a straight up killer. Faber...same thing...Aoki...unbelievable...

Like I said...SO good to be a fan considering I started watching when I saw Royce tap Severn from the bottom with I think an arm triangle with the gi.

So good.

BTW...I once met Severn at a pro wrestling gig years ago now and honestly one of the best ambassadors the sport has. All class all the time.
 Hurricane J
Msg: 130
Posted: 9/26/2008 3:09:13 AM
Fedor is the only fighter without ugly blemishes on his record. He has never been beat, plain and simple. Sure you could say he lost, but that's like saying Anthony Johnson really lost to Kevin Burns.

Anderson could make his way up to that title, with some more defenses, and a few more fights at 205.

GSP? No way. The Serra loss alone was a huge setback, not to mention GSP always fights guys who are alot smaller than him. Aside from Fitch, GSP basicly made his career outmuscling smaller guys. Dude walks around at 190.

Randy? Never. He would have to beat Fedor AND FINISH Nog.
 wannashakeyourtree
Msg: 131
Posted: 9/26/2008 6:56:02 AM
I personally think that GSP is one of the few guys that could beat Silva right now...I think they match up real well...that's why I included him on the list.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2008 8:18:42 AM

GSP always fights guys who are alot smaller than him. Aside from Fitch, GSP basicly made his career outmuscling smaller guys. Dude walks around at 190.

To be fair to GSP, he did beat Hughes twice, and Hughes is naturally as large as GSP. GSP and A. Silva are neck-and-neck in terms of achievements. We'll have to see their next couple of fights to pick a clear number 2 between them (after Fedor). Head-to-head, it's apparent that GSP would take Silva down repeatedly and try to control him on the ground. If anyone could do that, GSP could. It would be a great, great fight.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2008 12:43:09 PM
Fedor Emelianenko is the best fighter in the world today. He has only lost one fight to Tsuyoshi Kohsaka and that was way back in 2000. I really don't see anyone beating him in an MMA bout anytime soon. The only guy that has gave Fedor Emelianenko a solid fight or two in recent memory was Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. The vast majority of all of his other fights lasted 1 round or less and he has shown no signs of slowing down. Fedor Emelianenko is one of those types of fighters that loves to ground and pound you. He doesn't have to rely on a lot of submissions moves to beat you, because his fist pretty much does everything for him.
 cajun_buddha
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2008 1:55:04 PM
GSP is certainly up there in terms of top pound for pound talk. He has great wrestling, good striking and ground skills. He is extremely well rounded. I also agree that I think GSP would match up very well with Anderson. That would be one hell of a great fight.
 Validar
Msg: 135
Posted: 9/27/2008 12:57:54 AM
I would have to pick Fedor, but I don't think I would say I don't see anyone beating him. This sport is just too damn unpredictable. It takes just one small mistake (which I believe every fighter is susceptible to making) to lose a fight, and there have been so many huge upsets in recent years.
 JMars
Msg: 136
Posted: 9/27/2008 6:21:46 AM
It's hard to call who is the best pound for pound fighter, because the reality is that most fighters aren't/can't be tested very far out of their weight class.

We do have guys like BJ Penn and Kenny Florian who have actually demonstrated great skill in different weight classes.

In contrast, all Fedor for instance will ever be is the best heavy weight. To say anymore is purely speculative. Not that there is anything wrong with speculation, but in the end, it's something that has never been tested... and probably never will be. Thus, the point is moot.
 wannashakeyourtree
Msg: 137
Posted: 9/27/2008 7:58:34 AM
The thing with Fedor is that he hits like a super heavy with the speed of a lightweight...a la Tyson in boxing. The only issue I have with Fedor's current ranking is that he simply has not faced that many top level guys over the past few years since Pride went away.

I expect the WEC and it's stable of exciting, lighter weight fighters to really shine in '09 and going forward.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2008 8:35:57 AM

In contrast, all Fedor for instance will ever be is the best heavy weight. To say anymore is purely speculative.

Not really speculative, because Fedor destroyed guys like Big Tim (265 lbs.), Hong Man Choi (skilled kickboxer - 310 lbs.), Semmy Schilt (K-1 Grand Prix winner, 300+ lbs.), and the freakshow Zuluzinho (400+ lbs.). Fedor is only 230 lbs. at his heaviest. Fedor is truly the P4P best fighter in the world. In my opinion, it's backed up by solid evidence.

Fedor's accomplishments are much more impressive than Anderson fighting James Irvin or BJ Penn losing to Lyoto at 205 lbs.
 wannashakeyourtree
Msg: 139
Posted: 9/27/2008 8:55:21 AM
those examples don't really do Fedor justice. The fact that he was able to overwhelm a bunch of tall, slower super heavy's who have to cut weight to meet him is really not that great an example of how dominant he is. Speed at that level, in that weight class is a HUGE asset. Put him in there with guys that match up better and we'll see him lose...the talent is getting there in all divisions.

The thing with a guy like Penn, Faber, and Silva is that they fight at different weights...making them really better candidates.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2008 10:44:34 AM
Faber and Silva have had some success in multiple weight classes, but not BJ Penn. Penn has not been successful at higher weight classes at all, except for the first Matt Hughes fight in 2004. Beating Rodrigo and Renzo Gracie proves nothing because they are not top fighters (Rodrigo never was, and Renzo has been in decline for years). Losing to Lyoto in 2005 and to Hughes and GSP in 2006 eliminates Penn from P4P consideration.

It's hard to put Faber at the top P4P because he isn't fighting the top Japanese featherweights. I have Faber at #4 or #5.

Anderson has had success at WW, MW, and LHW; but he is dropping weight from 215 to fight in lower weight classes. He is bigger than Leben, Lutter, Marquardt, and Hendo, and is only slightly smaller than Franklin. That is a compensation for Anderson inversely to the way that Fedor gains an advantage by fighting slower super-heavyweights.

Fedor destroying a top HW like Sylvia (who only drops 20 lbs. to fight at 265) really shows Fedor's P4P legitimacy. As far as the other giants he beat---it's still a major accomplishment considering the height, weight, and reach advantages Fedor is giving up.
 JMars
Msg: 141
Posted: 9/28/2008 11:05:17 AM
Now the discussion is moving forward... who can compete with top rank competitors at variosu weights? Answering that question is the only way to come to any credible answer regarding best P4P.

And the thing about Fedor is that not only is he exclusively fighting 206+ lbs heavy weights, but the heavy weight division has to be the poorest weight class in the fight game... and certainly in MMA.

I don't want to detract from Fedor -- I've only seen his half-assed, rope grabbing victory over Matt Lindland afterall-- but there is no need to embellish him either. I mean, he only competes in a single weight division, which includes 250+ lbs boys, and for a reason one would think, so there is nothing backing up a best P4P claim.

In contrast, Penn might lose at 205 lbs, but come on... thats all dead weight he's packing on. He's at his best at 155 lbs, but can compete top rank at 170 lbs, and even provide the big boys with a tough fight... and could probably dismantle his fair share of heavies.

Same goes for Florian... he might have lost at 185 lbs. on the Ultimate Fighter, but he's a natural light weight, having to had to pack on a good 30 lbs of flubber just to get on the show. And he fought guys that had to CUT weight. And even so, he only lost in the finals.

I'm not saying that Florian is the best P4P fighter, but those are the kinda accomplishments we have to consider prerequisite to even begin considering a guy best P4P... unless we want things to degenerate into the current media hype BS where every other guy in every other division is being hailed as the best P4P. I mean, they can't ALL be the best P4P fighter... thats rediculous.
 dwayne88
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:12:15 PM

don't want to detract from Fedor -- I've only seen his half-assed, rope grabbing victory over Matt Lindland afterall-- but there is no need to embellish him either. I mean, he only competes in a single weight division, which includes 250+ lbs boys, and for a reason one would think, so there is nothing backing up a best P4P claim.

All you have seen is the Lindland fight?

Fedor is the guy that beat CroCrop standing with one hand. He made him run like a girl.

He made Big Nog look half dead multiple times.

WTF are you talking about? Fedor is more or less the prototype MMA fighter.

There isn't a single MMA fighter walking that Fedor wouldn't be the favorite to beat. And there is obvious reason as to why.
 redneck176
Msg: 143
Posted: 9/30/2008 2:08:52 PM
Bj Penn against St. Pierre again (awesome, 2 of my favs.)
Anderson Silva good but not enough
Faver good but too new
Light heavyweights lots of good guys but not good enough
Fedor is the man. He'll continue to prove it, can't wait to see him fight Arlovski or Barnett they are both dominating, but my money is on Fedor.
I do remember when he almost got knocked out by that big iron headed jap though, but then he choked him out.
His offense is the best in the game and how fun was it to watch Tim Silva 's 36 seconds of pain/shame.

Fedor is my favorite to watch, big strikes, submissions, quickness, and all from a guy who barely cracks a smile, don't advertize for noone and shows nothing but the highest levels of respect for his aponents. He don't dodge aponents hes in this for the money, I actually think the guy expects to lose and just don't care, he'll just come out and beat down the next oponent.

Fedor is the best p4p
 sprawl2
Msg: 144
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:44:55 PM
Well Dwayne.........

First he has fought and dominated the currnet UFC HW champ (who I love BTW....go Nog!!! So happy you are the UFC champ) twice. He has beaten world class strikers at stand up, subbed wrestlers, smashed BJJ guys on the ground, and pretty much dominated the HW division for about 7 years, all the while going unbeaten. And as for your point about him fighting in one division? Well, he regularly fights guys that outweigh him by HUGE margins in weight and height (who else has fought a guy almost double his size?), for example:

Silvia
Hong Man Choi (230 lbs vs 400+)
Hunt
Schilt

Fedor is the best P4P right now. There may come a time whe he loses, but I don't think that will diminish his accomplishments. He's proven himself may times over, and really doesn't owe anyone anything.
 sprawl2
Msg: 145
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:54:39 PM

And the thing about Fedor is that not only is he exclusively fighting 206+ lbs heavy weights, but the heavy weight division has to be the poorest weight class in the fight game... and certainly in MMA.

I don't want to detract from Fedor -- I've only seen his half-assed, rope grabbing victory over Matt Lindland afterall-- but there is no need to embellish him either. I mean, he only competes in a single weight division, which includes 250+ lbs boys, and for a reason one would think, so there is nothing backing up a best P4P claim.

In contrast, Penn might lose at 205 lbs, but come on... thats all dead weight he's packing on. He's at his best at 155 lbs, but can compete top rank at 170 lbs, and even provide the big boys with a tough fight... and could probably dismantle his fair share of heavies.

If Penn's weight is dead weight then so is Fedors. I mean he is chubby, so really he would probably be a lean 205-er and ripped 185-er. If Fedor was rippd he'd be fighting at 185 so I don't know what that Penn comparo was supposed to prove.

And you forget that HMC went the distance with LeBanner in K-1, Schilt is a K-1 champ and Nog was MUCH younger, leaner and faster when Fedor beat him.
 cajun_buddha
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 11:15:47 AM
I seriously doubt Fedor could make 185. Im sure he could fight at 205 if he really wanted. He is big boned though and probably has a naturally higher body fat to him. He is wide in the trunk area so I think anything below 205 would be really tough.

I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world but in true terms of pound for pound then Id have to say BJ. Because he can do well at numerous weight classes. Same can be said for Faber and Kid Yamamoto. I think GSP could do really well at 185.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 1:36:23 PM
It's amazing that many knowledgeable fans still put BJ Penn on a P4P list. He doesn't do well outside the Lightweight division. He should have never challenged GSP to that rematch.

This fight coming up between Anderson Silva and Patrick Cote won't make Silva the best fighter in the world; but if he smashes Cote in the 1st, it could get him to #2 P4P, just ahead of GSP. After just seeing him at 205, Anderson is going to look shrunken up back at 185. A victory against Cote would show definitively that Anderson can move up and down between weight classes with ease.
 cajun_buddha
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 5:02:55 PM
BJ beat Matt Huges at 170. He could have gotten the decision against GSP in their fight. He was owning Hughes until he gassed. BJ had cardio problems in the past that caught up to him at 170. BJ is clearly the best at 155 in the world, he whooped up on Gomi.

Im not saying A Silva couldnt be considered #2, but one win over someone like Irvin doesnt hold much weight. So it makes no sense if you are gonna say BJ isnt deserving of being considered one of the top P4P fighters but say Silva is right up there when he doesnt really fight out of his weight.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 7:13:49 AM
The difference between Anderson Silva and BJ Penn is that Silva was very successful at both WW and MW. His wins over Carlos Newton, Hayato Sakurai and others at WW were huge. Penn does have the one win at WW over Hughes in 2004; but it was a fight where Hughes was stunned by one huge punch before Penn quickly dropped into his guard; took his back; and choked him out. It was a first-round finish that didn't really test Penn's stamina. It's not apparent at all that Penn can fight effectively against top guys (for more than 1 round) at WW or a higher weight class. We may find that out in the future; but right now, Penn is only a great LW fighter. Guys like Fedor, Anderson, and Faber are unquestionably P4P greats. The Prodigy can't be considered a top P4P fighter, IMO.
 IcebergSL
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2008 11:19:23 AM
Fedor is the best because he's never (actually) lost and beat the highest level of competition throughout his career, dominating them all. Anderson got beat by 2 japanese cans via sub and hasnt IMO beat the same level of fighters.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?