Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dwayne88
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?Page 8 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)

I don't think there is anyone who better represents the sport all round for his skill, athleticism, respect, honor & class

Well.....technically Fedor fits all of that too...........................

dtravis78
Msg: 177
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?
Posted: 2/2/2009 8:46:17 PM
Anderson Silva is a beast, and hes my second favorite behind Georges. I have to say, BJ Penn got what he had coming. He who talks shit, is usually the one that eats it.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2009 9:08:32 PM
^^Agreed. Penn got destroyed. The "greasergate" scandal is not going to change that, either. No one cares if GSP had a dab of Vaseline on his back----it didn't alter the inevitable result.

A. Silva vs. Thales Leites, which is coming up soon, is going to be an interesting fight. It's dangerous for Anderson, because Leites is a much more highly-skilled BJJ black belt than Anderson is. I'm not predicting it right now; but Anderson could lose that fight. If it goes to the ground, Anderson will have the greater disadvantage. He's between a rock and a hard-place. If Anderson wins, it doesn't do much for him because Leites is not considered a top guy yet. If Anderson loses, then it will be considered a huge upset, and you can forget about his P4P ranking. It will be in the toilet.
 UFCchick
Msg: 179
Posted: 2/3/2009 4:51:59 AM
Isn't that the wonderful thing with opinions is there is no right or wrong? No way you're going to convince me that Fedor is better conditioned than GSP.
 dwayne88
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 6:42:55 AM
He may be somewhat more conditioned. But I think Fedor is the better overall fighter.

Fedor also is undersized for his division. GSP usually has the size advantage.....

O, and Fedor doesn't lose. ................................................................
 spitfire6844
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 9:03:29 AM
Fedor's (and the Red Devil Team's) workout videos are all over the Internet. Their workouts are brutal. I wouldn't be so sure that Fedor isn't as conditioned as GSP. GSP obviously shows more muscle definition; but genetics have a lot to do with that. Fedor is just as agile, quick, and athletic as GSP is, and he's doing it at 230 lbs.

1. Fedor
2. Rashad
3. GSP
4. Anderson
5. Miguel Torres
 Kyle4438
Msg: 182
Posted: 2/3/2009 3:36:30 PM
what weightclass is rashad in and how can you put him above gsp
 spitfire6844
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 5:16:59 PM
Rashad has been mostly in the LHW class, except for the exhibitions he fought as part of the TUF show. He fought on TUF as a heavyweight. Rashad has a perfect record (excluding the draw with Tito) against lots of top opponents. The factor which puts GSP a bit lower is the upset loss to Serra in their first fight.

Anderson lost to Takase and Chonan. It drops him to 4th.
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 184
Posted: 2/6/2009 9:40:59 PM

Isn't that the wonderful thing with opinions is there is no right or wrong? No way you're going to convince me that Fedor is better conditioned than GSP.

Your opinion about GSP being all class and a great representative of the sport has been tarnished following Vaseline-gate.

Opinions CAN be proven wrong.
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 185
Posted: 2/7/2009 12:23:04 AM
I'd have to say that GSP is above Fedor on the P4P list.While Fedor has a 29-1 record,which is really something in MMA (and REALLY something in heavyweight MMA),he has only faced 5 Top 10 HWs in his career-

Arlovski
Sylvia
Cro Cop
Nog (twice,and one no contest)
Randleman

GSP on the other hand,with his 18-2 record,has beaten 9 Top 10 WWs in his career-

Karo Parisyan
Jason Miller
Frank Trigg
Sean Sherk
BJ Penn (twice)
Matt Huges (twice)
Matt Serra
Jon Fitch
Josh Koscheck

While we're at it,let's look at Anderson Silva.With a 23-4 record,in his time at WW and MW he has beaten a combined 5 Top Ten fighters.

At WW-
Hayato Sakauri
Carlos Newton

At MW-
Rich Franklin (twice)
Nate Marquardt
Dan Henderson
(also Chris Leben depending on who's rankings you want to go by for that time period)

How about BJ Penn?With a record of 13-5-1,Penn has beaten 6 Top 10 fighters in two different weight classes.

At LW-

Din Thomas
Cao Uno
Takanori Gomi
Joe Stevenson
Sean Sherk

At WW-

Matt Hughes

And the grand daddy of grand daddy's,Randy Couture.With a record of 16-9,over a 12 year career Randy has beaten a whopping 8 Top Ten fighters in two different weight classes,coming in only second to GSP-but possibly even more impressive considering he fought those 8 fighters a combined 13 times!

At LHW-

Chuck Liddell
Tito Ortiz
Vitor Belfort

At HW-

Vitor Belfort
Maurice Smith
Kevin Randleman
Pedro Rizzo (twice)
Tim Sylvia
Gabe Gonzaga

WB.
 dwayne88
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2009 5:21:52 AM
Here is the problem with the GSP thing. You have to also remember that he cuts weight literally from another weightclass to get to the one he fights in. Fedor basically fights at what he walks around at.

GSP would not be as dominant in the MW division as he has at WW. Most of the guys are small than him. Not all....but most.

Fedor is outweighed in some of his fights. He could easily cut weight to 205 to avoid having to fight people much bigger than him.

Fedor has also has never had a legit lost. GSP has been subbed by Hughes and TKO'ed by a natural LW.

Fedor is number 1 until he loses. Or maybe GSP beats Anderson. Which I don't think he can.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2009 6:01:44 AM
I think a lot of people are under-rating Miguel Torres. Check his Sherdog stats:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Miguel-Torres-3006

Not a lot of big (pun, LOL) names in that weight class, but 35-1 record is no facking joke.
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 188
Posted: 2/7/2009 11:56:48 AM
Dwayne,
Well,that's Fedor's choice to fight at HW-no one is holding a gun to his head.GSP has fought his entire career at WW.I doubt if he cut a whole lot of weight very early in his TKO days-he was pretty thin.His frame has filled out since then.

Also,being a great fighter has nothing to do with your record.There are guys floating around regional MMA circuits with records of 25-0.Why?Because they have faced mediocre talent.Does it mean they are Fedor?Hellllllll no.Not to long ago an 18-0 regional guy showed up in the UFC,IIRC against Joe Lauzon.He didn't last a minute,if that.Just sayin.

FWIW,Kevin Randleman,who most consider a "can",has beaten more Top Ten fighters at one time or another in his career than Fedor has.

Cro Cop
Ninja Rua
Babalu
Pedro Rizzo
Pete Williams
Maurice Smith

WB.
 dwayne88
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2009 12:08:22 PM
Randleman is a can now. At one time wasn't a can. But a legit top 10. He just never evolved. I can only imagine how good he could have been had he worked on his striking and sub defence.

Fedor has dominated two of the greatest HW's of all time in Nog and Mirko. And doing it at their game.

GSP beat BJ, Hughes, and Sherk. Those are three guys who could be classified as great. And only one of them is great in the weighclass GSP is in. The other two are undersized.

And he still lost to Serra, and that was just two years ago. Fedor hasn't lost a fight since 2000. And that was a cut.
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 190
Posted: 2/7/2009 1:31:41 PM
True,Fedor hasn't lost a fight since 2000,but since that time he's only faced a very,very small number of eliete level fighters-Nog,Cro Cop,Sylvia and Arlovski.One could make an arugment for including Randleman since that fight was on the heels of "The Monster" KTFO'ing Cro Cop.The Lindland fight doesn't count,for obvious reasons.

Also,Fedor sorta did loose another fight during the year 2000-go back and watch his fight with Ricardo Arona.Fedor got the decision,but it was a robbery.Arona dominated Fedor for the majority of the match.Fedor would most likely put Arona in the hospital these days,but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was dominated by him years ago and was given a gift decision.

WB.
 DempseySR29
Msg: 191
Posted: 2/7/2009 5:22:16 PM
Fedor hands down best fighter in the MMA world as it stands now.
 Glassjaw13
Msg: 192
Posted: 2/7/2009 10:40:56 PM
I don't know about that. Fedor has fought some bums. I believe based on the competition that Anderson has fought he's number in the world. I'm sure I'm late but hey felt like stating my opinion.
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 193
Posted: 2/7/2009 11:47:08 PM
Shoulda gave Damian Mia the title shot....if it's gotta be a BJJ ace that gets the shot next better him than Leties....Leties got his ass kicked by Marquart but won due to points being taken away....one of which was very controversial....

Silva's got great BJJ anyways...this fight shouldn't really test him that much....

The only top shelf guys Silva has face lately are Henderson, Marquart, and Franklin...

When talking the best, records are meaningless...due to level of competition and countless other factors....I like to look at actual skills as well....Fedor and GSP are the most complete fighters in the sport....Silva gets taken down at will....and Evans really hasn't shown much submission game.....

I'd rank Machida higher than Evans...wait for it...he'll be the next dominant LHW king...

A bigger GSP could methodically breakdown Silva and give him LOTS of trouble....if they do put that fight together....Silva's long limbs are guaranteed to put GSP's triangle defense to the test....
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 194
Posted: 2/8/2009 12:01:57 AM
GSP's wrestling and GnP could definetly put Anderson in some trouble.

But if Anderson lays some leather on George,it ain't gonna be pretty.GSP doesn't react well to getting hit,and Anderson has a reputation for melting guys with mere jabs,let alone power shots or knees.

That's what makes the fight so interesting.If it happens,I'd lean twards Anderson.The fight would happen at 185,due to the fact that Anderson simply can't cut down past that anymore.GSP would have to try to bulk up,but Anderson would still come in a good 20 pounds heavier than him and several inches taller.Anderson's long legs and tight guard might be able to stiffle GSP's wrestling.In a 25 minute fight,at some point,Anderson is going to touch George on the chin,and George is going to go down.

But I think the chances of the fight happening in the near future are slim.Anderson has to fight Leites and the winner of Bisping/Henderson first,and GSP has to fight Thiago Alves.There is a good chance neither guy can get past that kind of opposition-both Henderson and Alves stand a good chance of coming away with gold.Both guys need to focus on the challenges they have in front of them at the moment,and stop looking down the road at fights that may never happen.

WB.
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 195
Posted: 2/8/2009 12:12:53 AM
Very true WB....but how much you wanna bet...win or lose they set that fight up before Silva retires....in my perfect world...they both dominate for a while...then Silva goes out with a bang....taking out GSP and retiring on top....
 sprawl2
Msg: 196
Posted: 2/8/2009 3:42:00 PM

TK won on a fluke cut from an accidental headbutt and was later trounced by Fedor in a rematch)

TK cut Fedor with an intentional and illegal elbow. TK was disqualified but since the cut was to big for Fedor to continue in the Gran Prix, TK was taken in his place. IIRC.
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 197
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:22:00 PM
Nope.All this is just internet myth.

TK cut Fedor with a PUNCH.It looks like an elbow in the film because TK's arm goes by Fedor's head.TK won by TKO and moved on to the next round where he lost a decision to Randy Couture.

WB.
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 198
Posted: 2/8/2009 10:44:59 PM
^
Keep dreaming about Fedor losing via punch and your P4P arguements supporting fighters that are good because they compete in the UFC.
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 199
Posted: 2/8/2009 11:29:54 PM
Come on dood...

WB.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2009 3:41:27 PM
What really happened with the Fedor/TK situation was that the lacing on TK's glove grazed Fedor's face. It wasn't a solid punch that inflicted the cut, but the lacing from the glove. Because of the tournament rules, it's an official loss; but no one really thinks that Fedor was beaten in that fight.

Back to Anderson/Thales Leites: Leites sounds confident. He's going in there to take Anderson to the ground and to try and submit him. That has to be the game plan. Anderson must try to avoid the ground and KTFO Leites on the feet. This fight isn't going to a decision.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?