Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kyle4438
Msg: 201
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?Page 9 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Actally Fedor got hit by a elbow wich was illigal in the tournament he was fighting in unless the guy had elbow pads which the guy didnt he would of won by dq but it was a tournemt and he couldnt contine because it was a bad cut.
 equalizure
Msg: 202
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?
Posted: 3/2/2009 7:10:15 PM
One guy people are just now starting to talk about....

Miguel Torres.

He could be considered the best...some day.
 MikeB1982
Msg: 203
Posted: 3/2/2009 7:35:29 PM
i think anderson silva is the most well rounded MMA fighter. guys like GSP are great fighters but they arent as well rounded as silva. the chances of GSP knocking you out standing are slim to none.

on the other hand, silva can blitz you in the striking department, he can submit you on the ground, or finish you with ground and pound. he has mastered all aspects of the game. he has out wrestled wrestlers (marquardt), out struck strikers (franklin), and tapped out BJJ guys (lutter).

one mistake against silva will literally cost you the fight. just one. he doesnt grind you out to a decision, he waits for that one single slip up and the fight is over. it doesnt matter if its standing or on the ground. anderson is the best finisher in the sport.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2009 7:45:34 PM
Anderson's biggest challenges in his career are coming up----Thales Leites and Demian Maia. They are both better than Anderson on the ground, and Maia is much better. These are going to be dangerous fights for Anderson, and should be interesting.
 MikeB1982
Msg: 205
Posted: 3/2/2009 8:09:19 PM
Biggest challenges of his career?

please dude.... its been said about EVERY opponent silva has faced and he makes it look easy everytime. if anyone is going to give anderson a legit run for his money, its going to be guys in the 205 weight division. even then, i think anderson takes them all to school with a couple exceptions. machida, rampage, and evans would be his toughest matchups and even those fights are very winnable for anderson. leites and maia would get absolutely WRECKED if they fought silva.
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 206
Posted: 3/2/2009 10:26:44 PM
He has flaws....
His opponents put him on his back at will...
If Maia puts him on his back...it's all over...

Period.

the chances of GSP knocking you out standing are slim to none.

Musta missed the Jay Heron fight...Hughes 2...and the last four rounds of the Fitch fight....not GSP's fault Fitch has a chin of granite....

GSP is more "complete" than Silva...watch their fights and it's quite clear...and when Silva's got one more fight to go...we just might see GSP give him a very interesting fight....
 kenpoboy
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2009 2:37:13 AM
Anderson has said he won't fight Machida.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2009 7:34:32 AM

Leites and Maia would get absolutely WRECKED if they fought silva.

Not if either of these fights goes to the ground for any length of time.
 JustinVoorhees
Msg: 209
Posted: 3/5/2009 10:47:19 AM
Ya remember travis lutter almost beast anderson silva on the ground...he just gassed.
 horneschwoggle
Msg: 210
Posted: 3/7/2009 2:07:37 PM
Anderson has said he won't fight Machida

...Then Anderson Silva isn't the World's best - A world's best doesn't back down on any contender.
I think Machida is one of the World's best.
 JustinVoorhees
Msg: 211
Posted: 3/7/2009 4:23:57 PM
He doesn't want to fight him because they are friends...he doesn't want to get in the way of machida getting the light heavyweight title.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2009 6:32:35 PM
Exactly, Machida and Anderson train together. Silva's not afraid of him.
 schrutefarms
Msg: 213
Posted: 3/7/2009 9:43:54 PM
I'm not sure what fights you guys who think Anderson is the most well rounded fighter out there are watching. He's an incredible striker, but his jiu-jitsu is questionable and we haven't really seen much from him in the way of wrestling. Dan Henderson didn't seem to have too much trouble controlling him on the ground and a gassed out Lutter was almost able to submit him. GSP and BJ are much closer to being complete fighters.

Anderson will probably steamroll Leites, but Maia is going to be a real test. If he can get it to the ground, Anderson is going to have a really long night.
 JustinVoorhees
Msg: 214
Posted: 3/8/2009 3:10:04 PM
Ya anderson is a little weak on the ground from what we've seen but BJ a more complete fighter NO WAY!!!
 kenpoboy
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2009 4:20:46 PM
I don't even understand what "more complete" means in any case. BJ Penn is certainly a complete fighter - good stand-up and excellent ground skill.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2009 11:47:03 AM
I wouldn't consider Penn a complete fighter---no kicks; no offensive wrestling/Greco wrestling. Very little use of Muay Thai. Penn is a very good boxer and an excellent BJJ BB. His sprawl is above average. That's about it.

Anderson is very well-rounded in striking and well-rounded on the ground. His wrestling is lagging a little, but has been improving over the years. Anderson is more well-rounded than someone like Penn; but there are many fighters (GSP, for example) who are more well-rounded than Anderson is.

Anderson's problem right now is that both Leites and Maia are significantly better than he is on the ground. That's not taking anything away from Anderson; but he will be in danger on the ground every second he's there. His ground game is predictable and beatable by both of those guys.
 milehighsun
Msg: 217
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:40:27 PM
Ever heard the name Randy (the Natural ) Couture ???
 kenpoboy
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 1:28:30 PM
Randy is a great fighter, but (IMHO), his record is a bit too uneven to be considered the best MMA fighter. Nogueira has a better record as a heavy-weight.
 XxSelfHigh5xX
Msg: 219
Posted: 3/10/2009 4:03:38 PM
and Fedor has a better record than Nogueira
 WheelchairBandit
Msg: 220
Posted: 3/10/2009 9:02:09 PM
Randy Couture has been fighting for 12 years now,with a lot of his fights happening during the infancy of the sport.Of course he's going to have a lot of losses.You have to remember that he got subbed by Enson Inoue over ten years ago!But look at who he's beat,and in the context in which he beat them.He's managed to beat the top guys over and over again for well over a decade.That's why he's one of the most respected fighters in the sport.

WB.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2009 12:43:09 PM
Randy is great and awesome for the sport.......but let's face it: his only recent big win was against Tim Sylvia, and that's been a couple of years now. Gonzaga is not a significant win. Before that you have to go back 4+ years to when Randy beat Vitor Belfort, or 5+ years ago, when Randy beat Chuck, to find significant wins. Right now, Randy is a barely a top 15 heavyweight. Barely. Randy is not even Top 20 P4P.

Fedor is the P4P king at HW, and Brock Lesnar (sad to say) is the only HW guy on the horizon who may eventually challenge Fedor for that status.
 XxSelfHigh5xX
Msg: 222
Posted: 3/11/2009 1:36:10 PM
I would not say that Brock Lesnar is the only heavyweight on the horizon that could challenge Fedor. Alistair Overeem could give him a run for his money, and I bet he could be Brock. I would not count out Sergei Kharitonov either.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2009 4:43:17 PM
WB -

Not arguing that Randy is a great fighter - he is. Believe me when I tell you I was ON MY FEET cheering Randy against Brock Lesnar, LOL. But "World's Best MMA Fighter" / P4P best? I don't think so, and his record doesn't really show it, either.
 geekjosh81
Msg: 224
Posted: 3/12/2009 8:27:09 PM
Anderson Silva is my favorite fighter, but Fedor's record speaks for itself.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 4:41:53 AM
"Silva isnt the worlds best.....hes the worlds most lethal fighter."

Is that some kind of joke? Silva hasn't killed anyone.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?