Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > What happen? Should? Parenting Classes be taught in public school?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NotInnocent
Msg: 11
What happen? Should? Parenting Classes be taught in public school?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
You can't..that's the point.. No one parenting style works so you can't teach true parenting. you can't teach someone how to be a parent. You can teach them about financial responsibility and what it really means to run a home and put someone else's need before your own..but you can't teach them how to parent. the parenting class I attended was a joke. They told me to make up a reward wheel so the kids can have something special when they are good. they tell you to talk to your kids rather then spank them..they have to track what you and your kids eat in a week so you can see if you are eating healthy.. Its all crap and truly common sense. You can't teach parenting. they tell you rather then punishing them, to talk to them about what they did and to discover the root cause. I tried that.. yaknow what? My son saw that he wasn't going to get in trouble so he started pushing more and more. what he did understand was no playstation for a week. that got him back on the listening to mommy track. Will that work with all kids? Of course not! that's why there are so many different books out there all contridicting each other on the best methods of child rearing. It depends on the child.

So the parents of the child can teach them about money (and they should), they can teach them about runnning a home (and they should), they can teach them about what hard work and dedication mean (and they should) and they can teach them how to be a good person (and they should by showing them). but they cannot teach them parenting. Society dictates what a good parent behaves like. When i was a kid, spanking were normal and expected and locking a screaming kid in the car while you went to eat was acceptable. Now it's grounds for jail. so the way my parents raised me isn't applicible in this day and age..so how are my parents possibly going to teach me how to parent. My dad would tell me story of getting the business end of a spoon when he was a kid..my grandmother was left alone at the age of 7 while her mom and dad were out making ends meet. The dedication and loyality is there..the hard work is there, showing the value of money is there, but how can i possibly raise my child the way I was? it's socially unacceptable now. And I am sure that any methods I use now to raise and teach my son will be socially unacceptable by the time he is a parent. The only way to be a good parent is to love your children enough and to do the best you can do. it can't be taught..
 4408joseph
Msg: 12
view profile
History
What happen? Should? Parenting Classes be taught in public school?
Posted: 3/14/2008 7:14:57 AM
I can only speak for MY school district,but

I'm scratching my head....

Where does teaching a child .......

1. To take 200 dollars and food shop for a family of 4 for a week,
2. Prepare meals for a family/ using kitchen equipment,
3. How to read the detergent and clothing labels as to do wash.
4. Balancing a checkbook with rent/food/phone/elc/clothes/etc,
5. Feeding and changing an infant,
6, Home repair and maintenance

Have anything to do with Parenting style???

Most of the post regarding the parenting classes involve a child, was the care of an infant. An infant only needs to be feed,changed,and kept from danger. I believe the "Parenting STYLE" comes years later, and I'm not sure anyone mentioned that this even takes place in these types of classes...

I think expecting a public school to teach this is too much.

You are kidding ,RIGHT?

Since the 3 R's Schools have been required to (in the USA)

1. Feed kids lunch, yes parents are no longer required to pack a lunch.
2. Feed them breakfast, Yes parents are no longer required to feed them breakfast.
3. Teach them a gaZillion of sports activities.
4. Teach them several languages.
5. Teach them Sex ED every year which at my schools starts at 1st grade.
6. Teach them about drugs every year which at my school starts at 1st grade.
7. Teach them about Internet safety which starts at 1st grade.
8. Provide them with counselors. My grade class of 276 had 2. My son (at same school with 319 has like 8)
9. Provide after school activities .
10. Provide with a morning drop off service, as children can be dropped off as parents go to work before school hours.
11. Teach the kids current social life styles .. I.E. mixed relationships/ homosexuality/non-parent Parents/etc
12. Teach them religion/ evolution/ and such that panders to such beliefs.

Need I go on.... Our schools have gotten so far pushed past the 3 R's AS society screams at the school system to take care of and teach their children.

Now, I'm not sure how many kids are gonna grow up to get on the Internet and meet up with a bunch of non English speaking people that want to smoke a joint, have a beer, sex, or a game of basketball. To also do this in a way not to offend them and their current life style and be previously counseled as to deal with the rejection or objection....

BUT.....

I'm gonna say (off the top of my head) 80-85% are gonna produce a child...

Nobody wants someone else to tell them how to raise their kids. Do you?

Funny and the dozen example above parents demand... and YES... demand it in a way that does not offend Them

The last thing we need is another government program that only cost a bunch of money and ends up doing far more harm than good

Yep, and if I was nineteen and lived minutes away from New Orleans were Katrina hit 3 years ago. I'd feel the same way about government Wasting money

When I was a kid, spanking were normal and expected and locking a screaming kid in the car while you went to eat was acceptable

Really? Just 10-15 years ago in America?

The only way to be a good parent is to love your children enough and to do the best you can do. it can't be taught..

I disagree. You can take a healthy child and teach them almost ANYTHING.

On the flip side... you can also indoctrinate them with ANYTHING...

A young mind is an easy thing to mold , whether it be by the .....

Parent,
School,
Internet,
or the kids on the corner.
 brandy_n_3
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/14/2008 9:09:37 AM
^^^ exactly. As n adult I have taken many parenting classes, because even though I know I am a good mom I want to be the best mom I can be. There is classes available at community health units, parenting resource centers(such as parents place) and churches all the time. There is also classes on child development etc offered at the community colleges that can be audtited so you take it for the knowledge not the assignments/grades. I don't think passing the buck to the school system is the way to go.

Actually when I was reminded about everything else the school has o do in addition to teachin the 3R's to kids I am reinforced in my decision to homeschool my kids. Schools have so much more to do, when does the actual learning ever take place. I do know of one school here in my city that does teach parenting classes, it is a high school for teenage parents, so the parents put their kids into the daycare in the school, go and do their school work but also take classes in parenting those kids.
 NotInnocent
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/14/2008 2:35:35 PM
thank you for helping me make my point. Feeding and infant and changing a diaper is not rocket science. The hospitals show you how to do this properly before you leave them. Where people have trouble is caring for a toddler, child and teen. Most of the abuse happens to children these ages because some parents don't know how to raise them. you can't teach this. It's not enough to feed and clothe them. You have to have patience and ways to disclipine tht aren't over the top. You can't teach this. Your parents can handle it one way and that's the only way you know.. 20 - 25 years ago when I was a kid it was vastly different then it is now. Or at least in my neck of the woods. You can show your kids patience but you can't teach it. It's on the job training. Perhaps parenting style was the wrong word for what i am referring to, but it's the one that seems to fit best. You can tell them and you can show them the proper way to care for a child but until they have a child themselves they cannot truly grasp the concept. I do not like how much the schools teach the kids. I feed my son breakfst. I pack his lunch I teach him as much as I can myself.
 brandy_n_3
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/14/2008 7:40:07 PM
My brother learned very quickly to avoid an early entrance into parenthood. He was only 15 when I had my 1st. I was visiting from out of town when he was 16 with my 2 babies. I was cooking dinner for the family nd had hm watch my kids while I did so. Baby was colicky so he was rocking her carseat with his foot, nwhile trying to keep my 1 yr old happy all whie trying to finish his homework for his date. In the end he had to cancel his date because he wasn't done his homework, and the first words out of his mouth when my foks got home from work were "no I know why people have to drop out of school if they have kids you can't get anything done with kids around". Now at 24 he is still not a parent and very very careful to keep it that way. They don't need parenting classes they just need to borrow my kids for a day or two, they would make sure they were older, stable and ready for parenthood.
 NotInnocent
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/15/2008 7:53:51 PM
this is what i'm saying. He expirenced it. he learned. This is the only way to truly understand wha it is to be a parent. You can't learn it, you can't teach it. Tovgive a teen a real live infant for a fwe days would be the only true way to give them even a clue. That's not a realistic approach though. Unless there is someone out there willing to do this. (that is give thier baby to a child and leave..doubtful)A few hours babysitting isn't enough..they need a few days...with no help..
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > What happen? Should? Parenting Classes be taught in public school?